*Official* Marantz 2017 NR1508/1608, SR5012/6012/7012 owner's thread - Page 156 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4062Likes

post #4651 of 4690 Old 08-13-2019, 06:02 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
1. There is indeed a physical button under the flap of the front panel.

2. Why? If you don't turn on Zone 2, there's no reason to have to turn it off in standby.

I totally forgot about the flap on the front. And I am a massive idiot in that you are of course totally right about Zone 2. I think I must have turned on Zone 2 thinking it was needed for Monitor 2 output. I then realised that is not the case, but forgot that it was I who manually turned Zone 2 on

As always, I appreciate the help though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dago Red View Post
What you can do on the Harmony remote is add another device for Zone 2. When adding the device use "(Zone 2)" as a suffix to the model number and Harmony will only include the Zone 2 commands. I.E. "SR6012 (Zone 2)".
Then just switch to that device when you want to use Zone 2, or add the Zone 2 commands (Power, Input, Volume, Mute) to whatever activity you want to control.

Ah yes, that's a nice work around. It actually doesn't look like i need Zone 2 at all at the moment, but this is great for when i do, thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4652 of 4690 Old 08-13-2019, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Sources have different input volume levels. Normal.

If that bothers you, you can use the setting to adjust the volume of your sources such that they all have roughly the same volume at the same master volume level.
Thanks for your answer.

I can understand that is normal, but in the past(same receiver) was not that way.

Maybe I changed something, but the only new was the Projector, but nothing related to volume.

Asking if someone k knows. What can affect the volume at Cable Sat Input? So I can check those settings to see if I'm able to find what caused low volume.

Thanks in advance
jb

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by jabe00; 08-13-2019 at 11:53 AM.
post #4653 of 4690 Old 08-13-2019, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 716 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22165 Post(s)
Liked: 12033
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabe00 View Post
Thanks for your answer.

I can understand that is normal, but in the past(same receiver) was not that way.

Maybe I changed something, but the only new was the Projector, but nothing related to volume.

Asking if someone k knows. What can affect the volume at Cable Sat Input? So I can check those settings to see if I'm able to find what caused low volume.

Thanks in advance
jb

If <Dynamic Volume> is set ON for a source, the master volume level setting will be about 20dB lower than with it OFF.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4654 of 4690 Old 08-13-2019, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked: 520
(regarding a 7012)

Are Marantz receivers (and/or pre-pros) known to have noisy pre-amp outputs? While the fronts and side surrounds that are connected to a Monolith only emit a minimal amount of "hiss" that isn't noticeable from the listening position currently, the subs (which are currently connected to an Emotiva XPA-5, but I tried with the Monolith and a DSP3000 and got the same results all around) emit a much more pronounced noise that is noticeable from the main listening position. I tried several different configurations (with, without y-splitters) but the results were all pretty much the same. They're all connected to the same outlet and the amps are connected to one of those Emotiva line conditioners (hmm... I did not try removing that from the signal chain, now that I think of it). I guess there are a few other potential culprits but I was curious about how Marantz avrs and pre-pros are in this regard. I've noticed that their amps advertise 105db s/n, which, if that's at full volume, is far from stellar. I'm slowly building my system to separates and one of my criteria is for them to be dead-silent.
post #4655 of 4690 Old 08-13-2019, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 4851 Post(s)
Liked: 3604
Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post
(regarding a 7012)

Are Marantz receivers (and/or pre-pros) known to have noisy pre-amp outputs?
They are generally good although I have not seen objective measurements specifically on the 7012. On the flagship 8012 Gene DellaSala at audioholics wrote:
" Still the noise floor (-140dB) of the SR8012 was exceptional as you can see in the FFT below, almost -20dB lower than I measured on the Denon AVR-X3300W."

Even if the 7012 more closely resembles the 3300, a noisefloor of -120 dB is still pretty good. On the downside, as mentioned in the full review, the maximum output level is not as high as ideal. [This would not be a concern for people using outboard amps with variable level controls but might (in some instances) be for amps with a fixed gain.]

source: https://www.audioholics.com/av-recei...12-bench-tests
javanpohl likes this.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there IS no concept of "accounting for personal taste/preference". As art consumers we don't "pick" the level of bass, nor the tint/brightness of a scene's sky, any more than we pick the ending of a novel or Mona Lisa's type of smile. "High fidelity" means "high truthfulness", faithful to the original artist's intent: an unmodified, neutral, accurate copy of the original master, ideally being exact and with no discernable alterations, aka "transparency".

Last edited by m. zillch; 08-13-2019 at 02:35 PM.
post #4656 of 4690 Old 08-13-2019, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEmenau View Post
Regarding hiss on Marantz SR 6012.

I have had this receiver for nearly a year and it works great. Recently I noticed a hiss coming from the speakers. Effected all speakers. It was loud enough to hear in the quieter sections of music and definitely in movies. Even was quite audible when using only headphones. The hiss did not change with volume but was constant not matter what controls you adjusted. I tried resetting the receiver (by holding the power button down for 5 seconds) and the hiss continued.

I tried unhooking each source. The blue ray player, apple TV, cable box, xbox and turntable with its ground wire. The hiss continued.

Then I noticed as I reached into the connectors at the back the hiss would change a little bit when touching the phono in jacks. I removed the phono and ground completely. It still hissed. Then I pushed on and near the RCA connector jack in the back. THE HISS STOPPED !! I tested the sound and a few minuets later I hear the hiss again. Taking the pressure off of the many connectors on the various RCA jacks and pushing with my finger on the RCA jacks I got the hiss to stop again.

I carefully reattached everything and turned the unit back into its normal position. I had to twist the unit 90 degrees to get at the connectors as I had no rear access.

The unit plays perfectly again with no hiss.

My conclusion is there is a intermittent bad connection in the area of the phono RCA jacks. I was lucky to have found it. If your unit or similar unit has hiss then it may be from a similar bad connection on the RCA plugs. If it does start hissing again at least I will know what would need to be serviced.
Your write-up is a bit confusing.... what exactly did you change to stop the hiss?
post #4657 of 4690 Old 08-13-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
If <Dynamic Volume> is set ON for a source, the master volume level setting will be about 20dB lower than with it OFF.
Thanks again, I checked in Audyssey App and is Off, but I'll confirm at home later today to make sure is Off.

Screen attached

Thanks
jb

post #4658 of 4690 Old 08-13-2019, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1197 Post(s)
Liked: 1187
Quote:
Your write-up is a bit confusing.... what exactly did you change to stop the hiss?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEmenau View Post
...Then I pushed on and near the RCA connector jack in the back. THE HISS STOPPED !! I tested the sound and a few minuets later I hear the hiss again. Taking the pressure off of the many connectors on the various RCA jacks and pushing with my finger on the RCA jacks I got the hiss to stop again.....
I believe he said he pushed on the back of the unit near the RCA jacks, but after a few 18th century dances, the hiss came back. He then pressed in the same place again to stop the hiss and it didn't come back. He concluded that there is a bad connection inside the unit that was corrected temporarily by flexing the RCA panel.
javanpohl likes this.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ________________________
post #4659 of 4690 Old 08-13-2019, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
I believe he said he pushed on the back of the unit near the RCA jacks, but after a few 18th century dances, the hiss came back. He then pressed in the same place again to stop the hiss and it didn't come back. He concluded that there is a bad connection inside the unit that was corrected temporarily by flexing the RCA panel.
That took me a minuet, but LMAO
post #4660 of 4690 Old 08-13-2019, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabe00 View Post
Thanks again, I checked in Audyssey App and is Off, but I'll confirm at home later today to make sure is Off.

Screen attached

Thanks
jb

I checked and the Dynamic Volume was/is OFF

Thanks
jb

post #4661 of 4690 Old 08-13-2019, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
They are generally good although I have not seen objective measurements specifically on the 7012. On the flagship 8012 Gene DellaSala at audioholics wrote:
" Still the noise floor (-140dB) of the SR8012 was exceptional as you can see in the FFT below, almost -20dB lower than I measured on the Denon AVR-X3300W."

Even if the 7012 more closely resembles the 3300, a noisefloor of -120 dB is still pretty good. On the downside, as mentioned in the full review, the maximum output level is not as high as ideal. [This would not be a concern for people using outboard amps with variable level controls but might (in some instances) be for amps with a fixed gain.]

source: https://www.audioholics.com/av-recei...12-bench-tests
The info in there has got me a bit concerned. I mean, I knew the amps were still on but I assumed they wouldn't be doing much work without a speaker hooked up to the terminals... now I'm wondering if I was totally wrong there. I might finally unpackage my "kill-a-watt" watt measurement device to see what kind of power the Marantz avr is sucking down.
post #4662 of 4690 Old 08-13-2019, 07:21 PM

Hardly any AVRs* deactivate (or have the option to deactivate) their power amps when all you really need is the preamp outs.

* Maybe none in current production. I'm not sure.
post #4663 of 4690 Old 08-13-2019, 11:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
(regarding a 7012)

Are Marantz receivers (and/or pre-pros) known to have noisy pre-amp outputs? While the fronts and side surrounds that are connected to a Monolith only emit a minimal amount of "hiss" that isn't noticeable from the listening position currently, the subs (which are currently connected to an Emotiva XPA-5, but I tried with the Monolith and a DSP3000 and got the same results all around) emit a much more pronounced noise that is noticeable from the main listening position. I tried several different configurations (with, without y-splitters) but the results were all pretty much the same. They're all connected to the same outlet and the amps are connected to one of those Emotiva line conditioners (hmm... I did not try removing that from the signal chain, now that I think of it). I guess there are a few other potential culprits but I was curious about how Marantz avrs and pre-pros are in this regard. I've noticed that their amps advertise 105db s/n, which, if that's at full volume, is far from stellar. I'm slowly building my system to separates and one of my criteria is for them to be dead-silent.

I have had a 7012 for around a year. It is used in a 7.2.4 system with a NAD 5* 160 watt T955. The 7012 powers the rear backs (Energy RC 50's) and four Energy in ceiling speakers. I do not get any his or noise in the system....sounds unreal.
post #4664 of 4690 Old 08-14-2019, 03:35 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
(regarding a 7012)

The hiss may not be due to ground loop issues nor coming from the Marantz receiver.
Experience tells me that hiss noise is a characteristic of amplifiers with less control of (more distortion at) higher frequencies and/or perhaps poor power supply and/or poor PSRR.
The symptom your setup is experiencing could have been excited by your environment and poor shielding of your RCA audio cables. I think this because RCA connections go to un-balanced circuits.

Other than modifying your amps, ensure you have the best quality RCA cables to minimise unwanted stray signals reaching and exciting your amps.

Last edited by Fruit; 08-14-2019 at 05:33 AM.
post #4665 of 4690 Old 08-14-2019, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruit View Post
The hiss may not be due to ground loop issues nor coming from the Marantz receiver.
Experience tells me that hiss noise is a characteristic of amplifiers with less control of (more distortion at) higher frequencies and/or perhaps poor power supply and/or poor PSRR.
The symptom your setup is experiencing could have been excited by your environment and poor shielding of your RCA audio cables. I think this because RCA connections go to un-balanced circuits.

Other than modifying your amps, ensure you have the best quality RCA cables to minimise unwanted stray signals reaching and exciting your amps.
I'm pretty sure I tried using my high quality RCA cables that are driving my LCRs in this experiment, but I might try again.

The minuet guy's post has got me wondering if I've got an issue like his. This is a refurbished unit after all. And another thing about that hiss. It's noticeable from the MLP mostly because I have the subs pointed directly at the MLP, and fairly closely too. I can probably re-arrange them so they're not pointed directly at the listener and I imagine that will help a lot. The sound they emit is VERY directional.

This and a few other issues have me debating stepping up to full separates because I realized I could just add another Behringer amp and use the Emotiva for the remaining channels that the monolith doesn't cover, but then I noticed that the 7704 pre-amp uses much of the same architecture as the 7012 (same DAC anyways, and not a top-tier one at that) and (as mention below), I'd essentially be paying twice as much to go to the pre-amp. Can't quite decide if that's worth it, but I would get XLR outputs and all of my amps have XLR inputs (not fully balanced designs, but the XLR design inherently reduces line noise anyways, right?)

I do have a 90 day return policy on the 7012, but I think I may have really scored on a deal with this thing. Didn't really think about it much but I did get it on Prime day and it was last one like this (refurbished, "renewed" as per Amazon) available. So far every other one I've seen has been selling for almost twice as much. Think I might just count my blessings and live with small inconveniences.

But if there's a significant SQ difference between the 7012 and the 7704....
post #4666 of 4690 Old 08-14-2019, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Question... I don't see the AVR info on-screen (including the current volume) when I'm sending a UHD signal to the AVR. And when I bring up any menus, the resolution obviously changes to whatever the AVR is set at because the projector goes blank for a while. When I had video processing on, these would all show without issue but the video processing was noticeable (in a negative way.) Is this normal?
post #4667 of 4690 Old 08-14-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Question... I don't see the AVR info on-screen (including the current volume) when I'm sending a UHD signal to the AVR. And when I bring up any menus, the resolution obviously changes to whatever the AVR is set at because the projector goes blank for a while. When I had video processing on, these would all show without issue but the video processing was noticeable (in a negative way.) Is this normal?
Although unable to display the GUI on 4k video, should be able to display the volume bar/Info on 4k video (except Dolby Vision).
post #4668 of 4690 Old 08-14-2019, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 682
Quote:
Although unable to display the GUI on 4k video, should be able to display the volume bar/Info on 4k video (except Dolby Vision).
On my SR-8012 holding the info button on the remote for 2 seconds brings up an overlay on top of Dolby Vision.
This works on both Apple TV and 4K UHD discs. I can’t say that this is exclusive to the 8012.

Steve
post #4669 of 4690 Old 08-14-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr4a View Post
On my SR-8012 holding the info button on the remote for 2 seconds brings up an overlay on top of Dolby Vision.
This works on both Apple TV and 4K UHD discs. I can’t say that this is exclusive to the 8012.

Steve
That feature was only introduced with the release of the 2018 models, apparently firmware updated to the SR8012.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 08-15-2019 at 11:47 PM.
post #4670 of 4690 Old 08-14-2019, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 682
Quote:
That feature was only introduced with the release of the 2018 models (eg. SR8012). You're posting in the 2017 thread.
JD

This feature never worked on my 8012.
It may have come from a firmware update.
The info button must be held longer to bring up an
overlay on a Dolby Vision screen.

Someone with a 7012 could try and see if it worked for them.
That is why I posted in this thread.

Steve
post #4671 of 4690 Old 08-14-2019, 07:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr4a View Post
JD

This feature never worked on my 8012.

It may have come from a firmware update.

The info button must be held longer to bring up an

overlay on a Dolby Vision screen.

Someone with a 7012 could try and see if it worked for them.

That is why I posted in this thread.

Steve

Just tried it hold then release. Pops up upper right corner of screen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sony XBR65A1E,(Pioneer 500m relocated), AppleTv 4K,Marantz sr7012, System Audio Loudspeakers( sa1750 mains), ML Grotto.
Eastern Electric Minimax cd, Oppo UDP-203, Toshiba HD, Pro Ject 1expression Carbon TT.
post #4672 of 4690 Old 08-15-2019, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Good news: I was able to make the noise the subs are making go away completely.

Bad news: ... it was by turning off Audyssey

Seriously, it completely goes away when I turn off Audyssey. I had to play something to make sure that the AVR was still outputting sound. Seeing that I got a replacement for my Yamaha 3050 simply to have Audyssey, this is rather disappointing. But hopefully I can figure out a workaround. I was able to mitigate the problem a large amount by during off Dynamic EQ. Doing so substantially lowers the volume of the "ringing" but it is still there.

I haven't yet gotten the Audyssey app so I might get that so I can see what's going on with the Sub EQ. But in addition to that, the ringing noise seems like it's a frequency high above what the LPF would be. I'm curious if putting an external LPF in the signal chain would help out.

Still also strongly debating the pre-amp route though, just to get balanced connections to help out issues like this (line noise). My current room isn't even that quiet (not soundproof and I have a/v fans and a projector in the room); the room I'm building is going to be a vacuum of sound. A hiss coming from the speakers is going to drive me crazy. Turning off Audyssey didn't get rid of the hiss I hear from the speakers, but that one isn't much of an issue... but it will be once I go into the new room.
post #4673 of 4690 Old 08-15-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
but the XLR design inherently reduces line noise anyways, right?)
Not necessarily no, and generally only when the line length > 10'.
javanpohl likes this.
post #4674 of 4690 Old 08-15-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Bad news: ... it was by turning off Audyssey
Do you mean by activating "Pure Direct"?
post #4675 of 4690 Old 08-15-2019, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Do you mean by activating "Pure Direct"?
No, setup->audio->audyssey->"off" (the same spot where you select which curve or mode you want, e.g. "reference", "flat")

I'm going off of memory on where that is in the setup menu, apologies if not 100% accurate.
post #4676 of 4690 Old 08-15-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
No, setup->audio->audyssey->"off" (the same spot where you select which curve or mode you want, e.g. "reference", "flat")

I'm going off of memory on where that is in the setup menu, apologies if not 100% accurate.
Oh OK. ["Pure Direct" can kill the signal going to the sub in some scenarios so I was just checking.]
post #4677 of 4690 Old 08-15-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Seriously, it completely goes away when I turn off Audyssey.
Audyssey is an EQ so it might actually be that it is boosting one of the frequencies that is contributing to the noise. So it is not really Audyssey's fault, it is just boosting the problem sound to the level which makes the noise noticeable.
---

Have you checked to see if your sub noise problem is an overall system ground loop? The biggest culprit here is the ground wire of the sat. box or cable box acting as an alternate ground point. This is often manifested as a buzz or hum. What confuses people is the connection to that cable box can cause problems even while the box is off and the owner is just playing a CD!

Try [as a diagnostic test] severing all outgoing electrical wires from the sat/cable box and see if it kills your noise while listening to a high quality source like CD.
post #4678 of 4690 Old 08-15-2019, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Audyssey is an EQ so it might actually be that it is boosting one of the frequencies that is contributing to the noise. So it is not really Audyssey's fault, it is just boosting the problem sound to the level which makes the noise noticeable.
---

Have you checked to see if your sub noise problem is an overall system ground loop? The biggest culprit here is the ground wire of the sat. box or cable box acting as an alternate ground point. This is often manifested as a buzz or hum. What confuses people is the connection to that cable box can cause problems even while the box is off and the owner is just playing a CD!

Try [as a diagnostic test] severing all outgoing electrical wires from the sat/cable box and see if it kills your noise while listening to a high quality source like CD.
Plausible theory. However, I don't have a cable/sat box, nor any coax cables anywhere in the system. Only thing connected to the system aside from power cables is ethernet (including PoE). Power is all on one outlet and run through various power conditioners. (well, technically the amps are. I don't think the main power strip, that the avr is connected to, is necessarily a power conditioner/filter whatever. The amps are connected to one of the Emotiva line conditioners.)
post #4679 of 4690 Old 08-15-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Plausible theory. However, I don't have a cable/sat box, nor any coax cables anywhere in the system. Only thing connected to the system aside from power cables is ethernet (including PoE). Power is all on one outlet and run through various power conditioners. (well, technically the amps are. I don't think the main power strip, that the avr is connected to, is necessarily a power conditioner/filter whatever. The amps are connected to one of the Emotiva line conditioners.)
Even your sub is connected to this same, single AC outlet?

and your video monitor?

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there IS no concept of "accounting for personal taste/preference". As art consumers we don't "pick" the level of bass, nor the tint/brightness of a scene's sky, any more than we pick the ending of a novel or Mona Lisa's type of smile. "High fidelity" means "high truthfulness", faithful to the original artist's intent: an unmodified, neutral, accurate copy of the original master, ideally being exact and with no discernable alterations, aka "transparency".
post #4680 of 4690 Old 08-15-2019, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Even your sub is connected to this same, single AC outlet?

and your video monitor?
Subs. Yes. They're the ones connected to the Emotiva amplifier.

The projector is connected to a different outlet. Same breaker though. But can't recall if I tried disconnecting the projector HDMI cable from the AVR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
atmos , auro3d , bridging channels , clipping , dts:x , issue , Marantz , marantz sr 6012 , marantz sr7012 , sr7012

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page