*Official* Marantz 2017 NR1508/1608, SR5012/6012/7012 owner's thread - Page 55 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4078Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1621 of 4834 Old 06-11-2018, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 84,278
Mentioned: 746 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22738 Post(s)
Liked: 12381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Oakley View Post
I recently bought and demo'd the HS2 Version of the HEOS 1 portable speaker. Functionally its terrific; sound-wise its terrible! The sound is flat, boring and without much definition. Bass in particular is pretty much non-existent. Anyway, its going back.

Since I do have a Bose SoundLink 300 which is heads above the HEOS 1 and has very decent bass and a form factor much more conducive to carrying around, and since it does have BlueTooth, I'm wondering:

* Can I fire up the HEOS environment (mainly Spotify) on the 5012 and then transmit it via BlueTooth to the SoundLink?

Thank you,
Scott
To each their own. I find the HEOS 1 HS2 to provide quite good quality audio; however, I don't expect any bass from the smallest of the 4 HEOS speakers (only the HEOS 7 having a built-in subwoofer), rather I use it for background audio only. If I want to listen to bass, I power up my AVR and use my SVS subs.

Spotify is streamed to the AVR using Spotify Connect so could likely use Spotify Connect to stream to your Bose speaker; however, audio streamed from the AVR would have to go to a HEOS speaker only.
jdsmoothie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1622 of 4834 Old 06-11-2018, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Sam S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 4,557
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 139
So I finally set up my NR1608 yesterday. It's replacing a Denon AVR-X4300H that was going to have to get relocated due to pending/new furniture. For now, the NR1608 was a straight swap, and I'm using it in pure stereo (Direct mode, only) with a pair of NHT speakers.

The Marantz sounds much better than the Denon! Overall more clarity, especially with the midrange.

My only gripe: no support for digital (HDMI, optical or coax) for Zone 2 This has been a feature of Denons for several years, and I assumed the Marantz would support as well. Since I regularly use Apple TV 4 for Zone 2 AirPlay/Apple Music, this is a real bummer. I had to get an HDMI de-embber and feed analog to the Marantz. The analog output of a $20 de-embedder sounds like crap, even for "backyard duty". So I'm having to spend another $65 for a decent DAC to feed Zone 2.
Sam S is offline  
post #1623 of 4834 Old 06-11-2018, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
Scott Oakley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Pine, Arizona
Posts: 975
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
To each their own. I find the HEOS 1 HS2 to provide quite good quality audio; however, I don't expect any bass from the smallest of the 4 HEOS speakers (only the HEOS 7 having a built-in subwoofer), rather I use it for background audio only. If I want to listen to bass, I power up my AVR and use my SVS subs.

Spotify is streamed to the AVR using Spotify Connect so could likely use Spotify Connect to stream to your Bose speaker; however, audio streamed from the AVR would have to go to a HEOS speaker only.
Okay, let me ask it this way: Would the 5012 be able to transmit Spotify via BlueTooth to a BlueTooth-enabled speaker?

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5012 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 10" Sub
TiVO Premiere
Scott Oakley is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1624 of 4834 Old 06-11-2018, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 84,278
Mentioned: 746 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22738 Post(s)
Liked: 12381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Oakley View Post
Okay, let me ask it this way: Would the 5012 be able to transmit Spotify via BlueTooth to a BlueTooth-enabled speaker?
No Denon or Marantz models have Bluetooth transmission capability. You would need to add an external 3rd party Bluetooth transmitter via the Zone 2 pre-outs.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #1625 of 4834 Old 06-11-2018, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 84,278
Mentioned: 746 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22738 Post(s)
Liked: 12381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam S View Post
So I finally set up my NR1608 yesterday. It's replacing a Denon AVR-X4300H that was going to have to get relocated due to pending/new furniture. For now, the NR1608 was a straight swap, and I'm using it in pure stereo (Direct mode, only) with a pair of NHT speakers.

The Marantz sounds much better than the Denon! Overall more clarity, especially with the midrange.

My only gripe: no support for digital (HDMI, optical or coax) for Zone 2 This has been a feature of Denons for several years, and I assumed the Marantz would support as well. Since I regularly use Apple TV 4 for Zone 2 AirPlay/Apple Music, this is a real bummer. I had to get an HDMI de-embber and feed analog to the Marantz. The analog output of a $20 de-embedder sounds like crap, even for "backyard duty". So I'm having to spend another $65 for a decent DAC to feed Zone 2.
This feature is only offered on the same sister mid/higher level D+M models, the lowest being the Denon X3400H and Marantz SR6012.
lsorensen likes this.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #1626 of 4834 Old 06-12-2018, 12:04 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Having trouble finding the ideal post for this. But I just got the 7012, can anyone roll through their entire settings on this unit? I want to make sure I’m not missing anything. I have all my speakers to large, I like the bass coming through them and have the speakers for it. They are all set to 80 hz as well. Only other thing I adjusted was video conversion and I turned it off, noticed the screen was flashing black at times with the sound still going through.

But if anyone who has fiddled around with all their settings could post theirs it would be much appreciated.

5.1 Setup || Marantz SR-7012 & MM-7025 | Paradigm Prestige Series - 95Fs, 55C, 15Bs | Dynamo 700W | Sony XBR-65A1E | Panasonic UB-9000
Apple TV 4K | Amazon Fire TV | Furman Elite 15-PFi | Logitech Harmony Elite | Samsung Smart Things Hub | Amazon Alexa Integration
JayNTee is offline  
post #1627 of 4834 Old 06-12-2018, 12:33 AM
Senior Member
 
UK Dreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Not where I want to be...
Posts: 456
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayNTee View Post
Having trouble finding the ideal post for this. But I just got the 7012, can anyone roll through their entire settings on this unit? I want to make sure I’m not missing anything. I have all my speakers to large, I like the bass coming through them and have the speakers for it. They are all set to 80 hz as well. Only other thing I adjusted was video conversion and I turned it off, noticed the screen was flashing black at times with the sound still going through.

But if anyone who has fiddled around with all their settings could post theirs it would be much appreciated.
I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong, but my understanding is that, if set to large, all bass (except that within the LFE channel) will be sent to the speakers, instead of the subwoofers, so I’m not sure what purpose setting the crossover is serving, as everything is heading the speakers way anyway.

That aside, I always thought the recommendation was to select ‘small’ as the speaker type, unless your speakers are truly full range - which 99.9% aren’t. I know that when I first started with surround sound, I was using decent sized floorstanders and so set them as ‘large’, when I should have set them to small (I think a better nomenclature should have been used, but we have to live with small/large).

I’m not familiar with the ML range of speakers, so did a quick google, and read a very complimentary review of the 60XTs; but I still don’t believe they’re ‘full range’ within the definition being used by the AVRs, so you may be better off setting them to small, and crossing over with your subwoofers. Having said that, try both, and see which you prefer, as it’s your setup, not mine.

As for the rest of the settings, I’m keen, like you, to see what other people have done/recommend to see if I’ve missed anything.... or rather, to stop me missing anything, as I’m going to pick up my AVR later today!
vn800art likes this.
UK Dreamer is offline  
post #1628 of 4834 Old 06-12-2018, 04:05 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 366
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayNTee View Post
Having trouble finding the ideal post for this. But I just got the 7012, can anyone roll through their entire settings on this unit? I want to make sure I’m not missing anything. I have all my speakers to large, I like the bass coming through them and have the speakers for it. They are all set to 80 hz as well. Only other thing I adjusted was video conversion and I turned it off, noticed the screen was flashing black at times with the sound still going through.

But if anyone who has fiddled around with all their settings could post theirs it would be much appreciated.
Congrats for Your buy! I see you have Martin Logans (Btw, you should update signature, regarding the new ampli!).
If you do not own a subwoofer, that is correct. Otherwise You would choose small anyway. Audyssey should choose the correct xover depending on your lss capabilities.
Regarding black screen, check your Hdmi cables, they MUST be 18Gbps certified, otherwise a 4K Hdr video signal wouldn't passthrough via the Avr from sources to screen!
Remember there is a setting to Enhanced in the Avr Video that should be set to ON!
Videoconversion set to OFF will not pass the Avr GUI on-screen, you will be left with the Avr two line screen.
Regards
Alessandro

Marantz Sr7011, Galactron Mk10b, Pioneer VsxLx50. Klipsch Cornwall, Wharfedale 9.1, Klipsch CP-6. Sony UbpX800, Lg Up970, Hisense 55M5500. 110 inches rolling screen, excelvan cl720d.

Last edited by vn800art; 06-12-2018 at 04:13 AM.
vn800art is offline  
post #1629 of 4834 Old 06-12-2018, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member
 
Scott Oakley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Pine, Arizona
Posts: 975
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
No Denon or Marantz models have Bluetooth transmission capability. You would need to add an external 3rd party Bluetooth transmitter via the Zone 2 pre-outs.
JD, you've saved me again. Over the years, you've answered most of my niche questions (and some of my dumb ones)-how do I repay you?

In this case, you are right AND I just happen to have an almost-legacy AudioEngine B1 Bluetooth transmitter that I can connect to the 5012 Zone 2 Pre-Outs (surround back L+F).

THANK YOU.
Scott

PS: Since I've owned a Bose Soundlink 300 ($300?) for several years (which DOES have bass), I find any portable speaker above a certain size that lacks bass unacceptable, period. To compound matters, the HEOS 1 has PLENTY of space to engineer more bass that it currently has.

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5012 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 10" Sub
TiVO Premiere
Scott Oakley is offline  
post #1630 of 4834 Old 06-12-2018, 07:37 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by vn800art View Post
Congrats for Your buy! I see you have Martin Logans (Btw, you should update signature, regarding the new ampli!).
If you do not own a subwoofer, that is correct. Otherwise You would choose small anyway. Audyssey should choose the correct xover depending on your lss capabilities.
Regarding black screen, check your Hdmi cables, they MUST be 18Gbps certified, otherwise a 4K Hdr video signal wouldn't passthrough via the Avr from sources to screen!
Remember there is a setting to Enhanced in the Avr Video that should be set to ON!
Videoconversion set to OFF will not pass the Avr GUI on-screen, you will be left with the Avr two line screen.
Regards
Alessandro

Thanks for the quick reply. I updated my signature to match the current setup . I do have a sub and even though the speakers are set to "Large", it still gets a lot of the work load at the frequency currently set. I'll fiddle around with it some more. The 2 60XT's are Bi-Amped so I'm sure that can have some effect as well.



So my concern on the cables. I have an AudioQuest Forest that I believe is 13-15 ft-ish. Are these certified?? - I can't find anything anywhere saying it's certified. As far as when this was occurring, I was just watching TV off of my Xfinity box at the time and for a stretch of 5 minutes it flashed a black screen for 1-2 seconds a total of 3 times - nevertheless I want to make sure this doesn't happen. The only "fix" per say that I happened to read on this was to turn the Video Conversion option to "off". Which, for the short term of testing the issue, didn't occur again. Has anyone else witnessed this? Does the Video Conversion option give any benefits besides displaying the "Mute" icon or am I OK leaving this off? I know you mentioned the AVR two line screen but I don't know exactly which part you are talking about.



To also add to my HDMI cable that is my "Main Out", there was a second that the screen turned fuzzy/static, again with sound working - this has happened in the past with my previous AVR. This leads me more and more to believe that there is an issue with the HDMI cable. So me trying to avoid investing in another AudioQuest cable, what do you all recommend that's certified/decently priced at the length I have?



Lastly, I know there are quite a few additional settings in the menus - most of them are probably untouched. But if someone could either list all of what they currently have (assuming you made adjustments and are happy with those settings/noticed a difference) or send me a PM listing them all out or with pictures. I would greatly appreciate it!


***Another quick note that I noticed on setup. The Bluetooth coming from the receiver compared to the Pioneer seemed to be non-impressive. I was streaming music off of my iPhone and it was jumpy and would fast forward to catch up - not a good signal. Has anyone had any challenges/success from dealing with this issue? I saw earlier if you use HEOS and select the phone option on there it would work better, is that the case?? Is it because my iPhone is trying to play over AirPlay and not Bluetooth?

5.1 Setup || Marantz SR-7012 & MM-7025 | Paradigm Prestige Series - 95Fs, 55C, 15Bs | Dynamo 700W | Sony XBR-65A1E | Panasonic UB-9000
Apple TV 4K | Amazon Fire TV | Furman Elite 15-PFi | Logitech Harmony Elite | Samsung Smart Things Hub | Amazon Alexa Integration

Last edited by JayNTee; 06-12-2018 at 08:07 AM.
JayNTee is offline  
post #1631 of 4834 Old 06-12-2018, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member
 
Scott Oakley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Pine, Arizona
Posts: 975
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
No Denon or Marantz models have Bluetooth transmission capability. You would need to add an external 3rd party Bluetooth transmitter via the Zone 2 pre-outs.
Okay, I cannot get audio (any Source from 5012) out of Audioengine B1 to Bose SoundLink (Bluetooth). Here're the steps I took this morning:

* Connected B1 RCA + and - cables to Zone 2 inputs (L) on 5012.
* Paired B1 to SoundLink. (B1 and SoundLink show on iPhone Bluetooth screen).
* Activated Zone 2 via Option/All Zone-Start.
* Hit Zone 2 on front of 5012.
* Re-checked RCA connections.

No audio from ANY source. Any ideas?

Scott

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5012 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 10" Sub
TiVO Premiere
Scott Oakley is offline  
post #1632 of 4834 Old 06-12-2018, 01:24 PM
Member
 
chrislax19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Hi Everyone- I just purchased a Marantz SR-5012 and would like to lean on your expertise.

Two Questions:
1. I have a 5.1 Def Tech speaker set-up. I use the subwoofer in the two front towers for bass. I do not own a separate subwoofer.

My previous Pioneer Elite receiver had only one subwoofer port, so I used a splitter to plug both LFE cables into the single port.

This receiver has two subwoofer ports. Should I plug an LFE from each tower into each seperate port, or should I continue using my splitter and plug both into one port?


2. I will be plugging all sources into my receiver (PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, Comcast box, and Nintendo Switch). I noticed this receiver has Bluetooth functionality. Can I play Xbox and listen to Pandora through my phone through the speakers in parallel?

Thank you in advance for any insight you can provide! Cheers!
chrislax19 is offline  
post #1633 of 4834 Old 06-12-2018, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 84,278
Mentioned: 746 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22738 Post(s)
Liked: 12381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Oakley View Post
JD, you've saved me again. Over the years, you've answered most of my niche questions (and some of my dumb ones)-how do I repay you?

In this case, you are right AND I just happen to have an almost-legacy AudioEngine B1 Bluetooth transmitter that I can connect to the 5012 Zone 2 Pre-Outs (surround back L+F).

THANK YOU.
Scott

PS: Since I've owned a Bose Soundlink 300 ($300?) for several years (which DOES have bass), I find any portable speaker above a certain size that lacks bass unacceptable, period. To compound matters, the HEOS 1 has PLENTY of space to engineer more bass that it currently has.
I'll PM you the next time I'm out in Phoenix (although haven't been back in over 20 years so it may be awhile) and you can buy me a beer.
Scott Oakley likes this.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #1634 of 4834 Old 06-12-2018, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 84,278
Mentioned: 746 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22738 Post(s)
Liked: 12381
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislax19 View Post
Hi Everyone- I just purchased a Marantz SR-5012 and would like to lean on your expertise.

Two Questions:
1. I have a 5.1 Def Tech speaker set-up. I use the subwoofer in the two front towers for bass. I do not own a separate subwoofer.

My previous Pioneer Elite receiver had only one subwoofer port, so I used a splitter to plug both LFE cables into the single port.

This receiver has two subwoofer ports. Should I plug an LFE from each tower into each seperate port, or should I continue using my splitter and plug both into one port?


2. I will be plugging all sources into my receiver (PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, Comcast box, and Nintendo Switch). I noticed this receiver has Bluetooth functionality. Can I play Xbox and listen to Pandora through my phone through the speakers in parallel?

Thank you in advance for any insight you can provide! Cheers!
1. Doesn't matter as the SR5012 and lower models simply use an internal "Y" splitter as you would have to step up to the SR6012 to have independent sub volume/delay settings. BTW, I started out this way as well. When you are able to purchase a dedicated sub you will be amazed how much of an improvement it will provide.
2. Nope. Only one networking/Bluetooth source can be streamed to the AVR at a time.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #1635 of 4834 Old 06-12-2018, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 84,278
Mentioned: 746 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22738 Post(s)
Liked: 12381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Oakley View Post
Okay, I cannot get audio (any Source from 5012) out of Audioengine B1 to Bose SoundLink (Bluetooth). Here're the steps I took this morning:

* Connected B1 RCA + and - cables to Zone 2 inputs (L) on 5012.
* Paired B1 to SoundLink. (B1 and SoundLink show on iPhone Bluetooth screen).
* Activated Zone 2 via Option/All Zone-Start.
* Hit Zone 2 on front of 5012.
* Re-checked RCA connections.

No audio from ANY source. Any ideas?

Scott
What is the source? Selecting the ALL ZONE STEREO surround mode should down mix the main zone to stereo 2.0 and pass the audio to the Zone 2 speaker posts and pre-outs. As a test, configure the Zone 2 speaker posts to see if the audio is passing to them as there may be an issue with your B1.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #1636 of 4834 Old 06-12-2018, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member
 
Scott Oakley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Pine, Arizona
Posts: 975
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
I'll PM you the next time I'm out in Phoenix (although haven't been back in over 20 years so it may be awhile) and you can buy me a beer.
I would love that. We about 1.5 hours north of Phoenix tho, in a little mountain town called Pine. But my brother's family is in Boca so if I ever go back there, I will keep this in mind...

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5012 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 10" Sub
TiVO Premiere
Scott Oakley is offline  
post #1637 of 4834 Old 06-12-2018, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
Scott Oakley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Pine, Arizona
Posts: 975
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
What is the source? Selecting the ALL ZONE STEREO surround mode should down mix the main zone to stereo 2.0 and pass the audio to the Zone 2 speaker posts and pre-outs. As a test, configure the Zone 2 speaker posts to see if the audio is passing to them as there may be an issue with your B1.
Sources (TV, HEOS)...I understood Option/All Zone/Start to enable Zone 2 AND Main Zone. And I am only using Zone 2 RCA Outs. I guess that's what you mean by Pre-Outs?

I will again tomorrow a.m...
S.

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5012 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 10" Sub
TiVO Premiere
Scott Oakley is offline  
post #1638 of 4834 Old 06-12-2018, 02:19 PM
Member
 
chrislax19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislax19 View Post
Hi Everyone- I just purchased a Marantz SR-5012 and would like to lean on your expertise.

Two Questions:
1. I have a 5.1 Def Tech speaker set-up. I use the subwoofer in the two front towers for bass. I do not own a separate subwoofer.

My previous Pioneer Elite receiver had only one subwoofer port, so I used a splitter to plug both LFE cables into the single port.

This receiver has two subwoofer ports. Should I plug an LFE from each tower into each seperate port, or should I continue using my splitter and plug both into one port?


2. I will be plugging all sources into my receiver (PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, Comcast box, and Nintendo Switch). I noticed this receiver has Bluetooth functionality. Can I play Xbox and listen to Pandora through my phone through the speakers in parallel?

Thank you in advance for any insight you can provide! Cheers!
1. Doesn't matter as the SR5012 and lower models simply use an internal "Y" splitter as you would have to step up to the SR6012 to have independent sub volume/delay settings. BTW, I started out this way as well. When you are able to purchase a dedicated sub you will be amazed how much of an improvement it will provide.
2. Nope. Only one networking/Bluetooth source can be streamed to the AVR at a time.
Thank you kindly. This forum is great! I may be back with a few questions. I should be receiving my 75” Z9D on Thursday. Can’t wait to get everything up and running.
chrislax19 is offline  
post #1639 of 4834 Old 06-12-2018, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 84,278
Mentioned: 746 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22738 Post(s)
Liked: 12381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Oakley View Post
Sources (TV, HEOS)...I understood Option/All Zone/Start to enable Zone 2 AND Main Zone. And I am only using Zone 2 RCA Outs. I guess that's what you mean by Pre-Outs?

I will again tomorrow a.m...
S.
You must either select OPTION - ALL ZONE STEREO - START (this is the only way to pass HDMI audio to Zone 2) or the source must already be 2.0 stereo (analog cable/network/USB/HEOS) in order for it to pass to Zone 2. Yes, the Zone 2 pre-outs are what go to an external amp, or for your use case, the B1 which would transmit the audio to the Bose speaker.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #1640 of 4834 Old 06-12-2018, 03:01 PM
Senior Member
 
UK Dreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Not where I want to be...
Posts: 456
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayNTee View Post
Lastly, I know there are quite a few additional settings in the menus - most of them are probably untouched. But if someone could either list all of what they currently have (assuming you made adjustments and are happy with those settings/noticed a difference) or send me a PM listing them all out or with pictures. I would greatly appreciate it!
I've just setup my 6012 this afternoon (in a basic fashion), using it as a processor temporarily until higher channel count machines prices ease a little, and we know which way the studios are heading with the recent emergence of 'Atmos lite' discs.

I noticed that the lip-sync was quite a way out, with the picture lagging behind the audio. Going into the audio settings, Auto Lip-Sync was set to ON - I turned it OFF, and with no delay at all manually set, the lip-sync is now spot-on. I have no idea how Auto lip-sync is supposed to work, but it wasn't doing it for me - source is a Panasonic UB900, display is an Epson LS10000 projector.
UK Dreamer is offline  
post #1641 of 4834 Old 06-12-2018, 04:58 PM
Member
 
chrislax19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Hi Everyone,

Two more questions if anyone has the time to respond.

1. I have a 75” Z9D arriving on Thursday. Can’t wait, this is a dream TV for me. I want to make sure I am optimizing the picture settings from the reciever, as all of my components are running through the reciever to the TV.

Are there any setting I should be adjusting from the default reciever setup? I’ve heard some people discuss changing the HDMI output to “enhanced”.. If I should make that adjustment, or any others, please let me know.

2. What is the latest firmware update, and would you recommend I update? I just want to make sure there aren’t any known bugs or issue.

Thank you everyone!!
chrislax19 is offline  
post #1642 of 4834 Old 06-12-2018, 08:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Sam S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 4,557
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
This feature is only offered on the same sister mid/higher level D+M models, the lowest being the Denon X3400H and Marantz SR6012.
Which is too bad, no slim-line receiver with this feature.
Sam S is offline  
post #1643 of 4834 Old 06-12-2018, 09:17 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislax19 View Post
Hi Everyone,

Two more questions if anyone has the time to respond.

1. I have a 75” Z9D arriving on Thursday. Can’t wait, this is a dream TV for me. I want to make sure I am optimizing the picture settings from the reciever, as all of my components are running through the reciever to the TV.

Are there any setting I should be adjusting from the default reciever setup? I’ve heard some people discuss changing the HDMI output to “enhanced”.. If I should make that adjustment, or any others, please let me know.

2. What is the latest firmware update, and would you recommend I update? I just want to make sure there aren’t any known bugs or issue.

Thank you everyone!!
Congrats on your exciting new purchase(s). That is a fine TV! ... In fact it is so fine that I would recommend that you get it professionally calibrated after 200 hours of use or so.

A TV really needs to be calibrated from within it's own electronics. And that particular TV offers pretty good calibration controls. ie.10 point white balance (gray scale), which can only be done with a professional calibration meter. You could buy a meter and download free software to do it yourself, but the learning curve is pretty steep. For a few hundred dollars you could have a professional do it right.

The controls in the AVR are rather limited from a professional calibration standpoint. The Controls in the TV are way better and can be set up to affect all inputs. (The AVR plus anything else connected to it or connected directly to the TV.).

A professional will also calibrate (set up) your devices where controls are available.

I do my own calibrations, but it took me years to get it right.


Enjoy your new stuff!
rlwings is offline  
post #1644 of 4834 Old 06-13-2018, 01:20 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Marantz SR5012 Remote Control

Has anyone noticed the interface on the AVR is a bit slow, and the remote very clunky. Sometimes I'm not directly in line with the receiver and it doesn't register which can be frustrating. Does anyone know why AVRs are so advanced now, but their interface seems to be so outdated and slow. I've got an LG OLED and the remote is the fastest most amazing thing I've ever seen. Just strange.
Tri Le is offline  
post #1645 of 4834 Old 06-13-2018, 06:16 AM
Member
 
chrislax19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlwings View Post
Congrats on your exciting new purchase(s). That is a fine TV! ... In fact it is so fine that I would recommend that you get it professionally calibrated after 200 hours of use or so.

A TV really needs to be calibrated from within it's own electronics. And that particular TV offers pretty good calibration controls. ie.10 point white balance (gray scale), which can only be done with a professional calibration meter. You could buy a meter and download free software to do it yourself, but the learning curve is pretty steep. For a few hundred dollars you could have a professional do it right.

The controls in the AVR are rather limited from a professional calibration standpoint. The Controls in the TV are way better and can be set up to affect all inputs. (The AVR plus anything else connected to it or connected directly to the TV.).

A professional will also calibrate (set up) your devices where controls are available.

I do my own calibrations, but it took me years to get it right.


Enjoy your new stuff!
Thank you for the reply. I plan to have this TV professionally calibrated but it like will not happen until the end of the summer.
chrislax19 is offline  
post #1646 of 4834 Old 06-13-2018, 06:19 AM
Member
 
chrislax19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri Le View Post
Has anyone noticed the interface on the AVR is a bit slow, and the remote very clunky. Sometimes I'm not directly in line with the receiver and it doesn't register which can be frustrating. Does anyone know why AVRs are so advanced now, but their interface seems to be so outdated and slow. I've got an LG OLED and the remote is the fastest most amazing thing I've ever seen. Just strange.
Tri- This is one of the first things I noticed yesterday while setting up my SR5012. It seems strange that such advanced equipment would have a slow interface.

The receiver is beautiful. Very aesthetically pleasing.
chrislax19 is offline  
post #1647 of 4834 Old 06-13-2018, 06:29 AM
Member
 
chrislax19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Regarding the audio options on this receiver.

My current setup is below. Please let me know if anyone recommends changing these options. Thanks!

MultEQ XT- Reference
Dynamic EQ- Off
Dynamic Volume- Off
M-DAX- Off

Dialog Level Adjust- Off
Subwoofer Level Adjust- Off

Surround Parameter-
—Cinema EQ- Off
— Low frequency effects- 0 db
chrislax19 is offline  
post #1648 of 4834 Old 06-13-2018, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
Scott Oakley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Pine, Arizona
Posts: 975
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
You must either select OPTION - ALL ZONE STEREO - START (this is the only way to pass HDMI audio to Zone 2) or the source must already be 2.0 stereo (analog cable/network/USB/HEOS) in order for it to pass to Zone 2. Yes, the Zone 2 pre-outs are what go to an external amp, or for your use case, the B1 which would transmit the audio to the Bose speaker.
Okay...I think I'm getting tangled up in the pairing/connecting of the AudioEngine and the Bose Soundlink. The objective is to transmit 5012 Source audio to the Bose so the AudioEngine needs to transmit...so it has to pair with the Bose, NOT the other way around, right? So I must enable the Pairing function on the AudioEngine only or on both?

Here're links to each instructions for each device:

https://audioengineusa.com/setupguid...0guide-web.pdf

https://www.bose.com/en_us/support/a...obile-iii.html

Scott

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5012 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 10" Sub
TiVO Premiere
Scott Oakley is offline  
post #1649 of 4834 Old 06-13-2018, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
Scott Oakley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Pine, Arizona
Posts: 975
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Oakley View Post
Okay...I think I'm getting tangled up in the pairing/connecting of the AudioEngine and the Bose Soundlink. The objective is to transmit 5012 Source audio to the Bose so the AudioEngine needs to transmit...so it has to pair with the Bose, NOT the other way around, right? So I must enable the Pairing function on the AudioEngine only or on both?

Here're links to each instructions for each device:

https://audioengineusa.com/setupguid...0guide-web.pdf

https://www.bose.com/en_us/support/a...obile-iii.html

Scott
JD-I think the problem here is that the Audioengine B1 is a RECEIVER not a Transmitter. In the application we are discussing, we need a TRANSMITTER to SEND the 5012 source material to the SoundLink.

This may represent a Forum Demotion for you, unfortunately.

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5012 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 10" Sub
TiVO Premiere
Scott Oakley is offline  
post #1650 of 4834 Old 06-13-2018, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Nillaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,026
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Hi everyone!


I'm shopping for a new receiver today and the SR7012 is on my shortlist. My one concern is that I have a 2018 Samsung QLED and there has been a known issue with Marantz and Denon receivers playing nice with these displays. On the first page of this thread I notice in the firmware notes that this has supposedly been addressed as of 5/31, but I also saw a post from a user just a few days ago where he said that he can't get the receiver to output greater than 4K/30 even with HDMI output set to enhanced. Given the contradiction I'm hesitant to pull the trigger.


Can anyone confirm if any Marantz receiver 6012 or above can pass the signal properly to a 2018 Samsung QLED? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

82Q90R / Denon X6400H / Polk Audio LSI 7.1.4 / Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 / Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BluRay / Xbox One X / PS4 Pro / Nintendo Switch / Custom Gaming PC / Custom VR PC / HTC Vive Pro HMD (Wireless)
Nillaz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
airplay , airplay problems , atmos , auro3d , bridging channels , clipping , dts:x , hdmi arc , issue , Marantz , marantz sr 6012 , marantz sr7012 , sr7012

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off