*Official* Marantz 2017 NR1508/1608, SR5012/6012/7012 owner's thread - Page 58 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4078Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1711 of 4854 Old 06-21-2018, 02:36 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietgrass View Post
Thanks, i've tried this but I fear that perhaps my receiver does not in fact have bluetooth as both my note8 and my work iphoneS are not seeing the receiver but do see many other bluetooth devices so I know they work...what should the TV show when I push Bluetooth...it shows a display called Music that shows HEOS, Internet and USB...nothing even mentioning bluetooth or being in pairing mode.

Thoughts?
The SR5012 definitely has Bluetooth. I just used it... The HEOS screen your seeing is normal until the pairing is completed by using the phone. The AVR is broadcasting and waiting for the phone-side acceptance after you pressed Bluetooth on the remote. There is no more to do on the AVR side. The rest is done by the phone... Did you create a HEOS account yet? Maybe that's it. Also make sure you installed the latest firmware from Marantz. (It will auto notify you if enabled in AVR settings). Is your Bluetooth 'on' in the phone? Maybe do a phone restart... Other than that I can't think of what else it might be. You could also try an AVR restart as well. (While the AVR is still on, press and hold the power button until you see "Restart" on the AVR's display. It will turn off then come back on while you are holding the button down.)


Edit: Did you complete the network setup on the AVR? Maybe it's somehow related.

Last edited by rlwings; 06-21-2018 at 03:02 PM.
rlwings is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1712 of 4854 Old 06-21-2018, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 84,354
Mentioned: 751 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22771 Post(s)
Liked: 12419
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlwings View Post
The SR5012 definitely has Bluetooth. I just used it... The HEOS screen your seeing is normal until the pairing is completed by using the phone. The AVR is broadcasting and waiting for the phone-side acceptance after you pressed Bluetooth on the remote. There is no more to do on the AVR side. The rest is done by the phone... Did you create a HEOS account yet? Maybe that's it. Also make sure you installed the latest firmware from Marantz. (It will auto notify you if enabled in AVR settings). Is your Bluetooth 'on' in the phone? Maybe do a phone restart... Other than that I can't think of what else it might be. You could also try an AVR restart as well. (While the AVR is still on, press and hold the power button until you see "Restart" on the AVR's display. It will turn off then come back on while you are holding the button down.)
Bluetooth has nothing to do with the HEOS account.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #1713 of 4854 Old 06-21-2018, 03:45 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlwings View Post
The SR5012 definitely has Bluetooth. I just used it... The HEOS screen your seeing is normal until the pairing is completed by using the phone. The AVR is broadcasting and waiting for the phone-side acceptance after you pressed Bluetooth on the remote. There is no more to do on the AVR side. The rest is done by the phone... Did you create a HEOS account yet? Maybe that's it. Also make sure you installed the latest firmware from Marantz. (It will auto notify you if enabled in AVR settings). Is your Bluetooth 'on' in the phone? Maybe do a phone restart... Other than that I can't think of what else it might be. You could also try an AVR restart as well. (While the AVR is still on, press and hold the power button until you see "Restart" on the AVR's display. It will turn off then come back on while you are holding the button down.)


Edit: Did you complete the network setup on the AVR? Maybe it's somehow related.
Thanks for the help, so far no luck I think something is surely up as I have two buttons on my remote that both take me to the same place, the HEOS Music screen...if I press "Bluetooth" button or the button with the HEOS logo, both take me the same place. Even trying the input knob on the front takes me to the same place, HEOS Music. My phone(s) are surely active on bluetooth. Even tried the soft reset by disconnecting power for 10 minutes...I guess I'm stuck using the HEOS app to stream from my phone. I did create an link my HEOS account and completed the network setup. I opened a ticket with Marantz support and they too are stumped. So strange but thanks again none the less.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180621_173206.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	277.3 KB
ID:	2418978   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180621-173055_Settings.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	325.6 KB
ID:	2418980  
quietgrass is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1714 of 4854 Old 06-21-2018, 04:07 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietgrass View Post
Thanks for the help, so far no luck I think something is surely up as I have two buttons on my remote that both take me to the same place, the HEOS Music screen...if I press "Bluetooth" button or the button with the HEOS logo, both take me the same place. Even trying the input knob on the front takes me to the same place, HEOS Music. My phone(s) are surely active on bluetooth. Even tried the soft reset by disconnecting power for 10 minutes...I guess I'm stuck using the HEOS app to stream from my phone. I did create an link my HEOS account and completed the network setup. I opened a ticket with Marantz support and they too are stumped. So strange but thanks again none the less.
Figured it out! It was 100% related to having a WIRED network connection, it wasn't even turning on the bluetooth radio inside the receiver. Disconnect the wired cable, run the wireless network setup, hit Bluetooth button and immediately the screen says PAIRING in giant letters...hahaha, huge difference! Paired immediately and works like a charm. Reconnect the wired network and no problems

Thanks again for all the response!
rlwings likes this.
quietgrass is offline  
post #1715 of 4854 Old 06-21-2018, 04:08 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietgrass View Post
Thanks for the help, so far no luck I think something is surely up as I have two buttons on my remote that both take me to the same place, the HEOS Music screen...if I press "Bluetooth" button or the button with the HEOS logo, both take me the same place. Even trying the input knob on the front takes me to the same place, HEOS Music. My phone(s) are surely active on bluetooth. Even tried the soft reset by disconnecting power for 10 minutes...I guess I'm stuck using the HEOS app to stream from my phone. I did create an link my HEOS account and completed the network setup. I opened a ticket with Marantz support and they too are stumped. So strange but thanks again none the less.
Here's what it is suppose to look like. Not that this helps you that much... Note, I've renamed my SR5012 to "Bedroom". (Not sure why the pic of my TV posted sideways. :\)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180621-175423_Settings.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	2419000   Click image for larger version

Name:	TV.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	659.2 KB
ID:	2419002  
rlwings is offline  
post #1716 of 4854 Old 06-21-2018, 04:10 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlwings View Post
Here's what it is suppose to look like. Not that this helps you that much... Note, I've renamed my SR5012 to "Bedroom". (Not sure why the pic of my TV posted sideways. :\)
Thanks, got it worked out...wired network disabled bluetooth entirely...strange!
quietgrass is offline  
post #1717 of 4854 Old 06-21-2018, 04:33 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietgrass View Post
Thanks, got it worked out...wired network disabled bluetooth entirely...strange!
That's great! Have fun. This receiver sounds excellent after Audyssey calibration. (And before, I guess. )
rlwings is offline  
post #1718 of 4854 Old 06-21-2018, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 84,354
Mentioned: 751 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22771 Post(s)
Liked: 12419
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietgrass View Post
Figured it out! It was 100% related to having a WIRED network connection, it wasn't even turning on the bluetooth radio inside the receiver. Disconnect the wired cable, run the wireless network setup, hit Bluetooth button and immediately the screen says PAIRING in giant letters...hahaha, huge difference! Paired immediately and works like a charm. Reconnect the wired network and no problems

Thanks again for all the response!
So you're saying you simply had to cycle between a "wireless" and "wired" network to resolve the issue?

Can any other owners (regardless of model) that are using a "wired" Wifi connection confirm whether they have had any issues accessing the Bluetooth screen? Thanks.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #1719 of 4854 Old 06-21-2018, 07:51 PM
Member
 
Dago Red's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Parsippany, NJ
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
So you're saying you simply had to cycle between a "wireless" and "wired" network to resolve the issue?

Can any other owners (regardless of model) that are using a "wired" Wifi connection confirm whether they have had any issues accessing the Bluetooth screen? Thanks.
Just checked on my 7012. I don't have WiFi configured at all, just wired ethernet. I pressed the bluetooth button on the remote and HEOS showed in round window on the AVR.
The 7012 showed up as a new device on phone and I was able to pair the 7012 with my phone and play music content from the phone through the AVR.
So everything seems to be working correctly.
Dago Red is offline  
post #1720 of 4854 Old 06-22-2018, 01:45 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 84,354
Mentioned: 751 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22771 Post(s)
Liked: 12419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dago Red View Post
Just checked on my 7012. I don't have WiFi configured at all, just wired ethernet. I pressed the bluetooth button on the remote and HEOS showed in round window on the AVR.
The 7012 showed up as a new device on phone and I was able to pair the 7012 with my phone and play music content from the phone through the AVR.
So everything seems to be working correctly.
Thanks for the follow up. So most likely a one off issue experienced by quietgrass.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #1721 of 4854 Old 06-22-2018, 07:00 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dago Red View Post
Just checked on my 7012. I don't have WiFi configured at all, just wired ethernet. I pressed the bluetooth button on the remote and HEOS showed in round window on the AVR.
The 7012 showed up as a new device on phone and I was able to pair the 7012 with my phone and play music content from the phone through the AVR.
So everything seems to be working correctly.
Thanks for confirming this should work I think in all of my research up to purchasing this receiver I did see another mention of this problem and thus my idea in doing this network change from wired to wireless to force the radio awake as a troubleshooting step (prior to this, having never touched the wifi from first power on it was only ever wired, the pairing screen/display on the unit itself or the tv never showed up, as soon as i was on wifi, pairing was immediately displayed)...but perhaps that was in a parallel universe forum Thanks again!!
quietgrass is offline  
post #1722 of 4854 Old 06-24-2018, 04:46 PM
Member
 
Redline9k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 13
1608 networking issues

Just picked up a 1608 from A4L as a secondary receiver for an upstairs media room.

I connected everything and left the wired LAN disconnected at setup, and when i went to the "network setup" section, it just hung. Never found any networks, nothing ever happened (spinning status circle). My wireless network is run WPA2 through a netgear r7000, never had any other device connection issues

I backed out of that, finished setup, then plugged in the wired LAN. Going through the menu to Network, only the Information and Diagnostic menus are active (Connection, Setting, etc are all greyed out).

did a network reset and nothing changed

tried to do a full reset and it was "savings logs..." but never changed from that status after 30min. I unplugged, waited 10min, replugged, still no networking ability.

is there something obvious I am overlooking or should i return it? The sound quality seems to be great, its unfortunate if it has to go back.
Redline9k is offline  
post #1723 of 4854 Old 06-24-2018, 05:26 PM
Senior Member
 
Razor Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 288
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I am getting random blinking when I use my PS4 with the 7012, the screen goes blank for a split second and then carries on as normal. Audio is not effected.

I have disabled HDCP on the PS4 as I have read this can cause issues.

PS4 works fine if I connect it directly to the display, I have tried a few different cables and I am still getting the same results. The receiver is up to date in terms of firmware as is the PS4.

Can anyone shed some light on this, have I got a faulty receiver? My 7012 is only a few weeks old.

Last edited by Razor Time; 06-24-2018 at 05:30 PM.
Razor Time is offline  
post #1724 of 4854 Old 06-24-2018, 06:00 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Time View Post
I am getting random blinking when I use my PS4 with the 7012, the screen goes blank for a split second and then carries on as normal. Audio is not effected.

I have disabled HDCP on the PS4 as I have read this can cause issues.

PS4 works fine if I connect it directly to the display, I have tried a few different cables and I am still getting the same results. The receiver is up to date in terms of firmware as is the PS4.

Can anyone shed some light on this, have I got a faulty receiver? My 7012 is only a few weeks old.
I had an Onkyo that did the same thing as you describe. Black screen for a second or two then back again... It started happening after a power outage in my area. Onkyo is known for weak HDMI boards and I guess the power surge knocked it out.

You can try using another HDMI input on your AVR to see if it's just that port.
My understanding is that the problem lies with the copy protection handshake. It gets messed up. It keeps trying to get a positive lock over and over again but keeps failing.
rlwings is offline  
post #1725 of 4854 Old 06-24-2018, 07:07 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 50
How to 'reinstall' current firmware?

Hey guys...


Quick question: Is it possible to do a clean reinstall of the current firmware in the Marantz SR5012?

I had an SR 6012 a while back and accidentally pressed a few buttons on the front panel which actually did a full firmware reinstall... But I can't remember what the button press combination was.

Anybody?
rlwings is offline  
post #1726 of 4854 Old 06-25-2018, 01:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 84,354
Mentioned: 751 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22771 Post(s)
Liked: 12419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Time View Post
I am getting random blinking when I use my PS4 with the 7012, the screen goes blank for a split second and then carries on as normal. Audio is not effected.

I have disabled HDCP on the PS4 as I have read this can cause issues.

PS4 works fine if I connect it directly to the display, I have tried a few different cables and I am still getting the same results. The receiver is up to date in terms of firmware as is the PS4.

Can anyone shed some light on this, have I got a faulty receiver? My 7012 is only a few weeks old.
Try connecting the PS4 to one of the HDMI inputs closer to the HDMI outputs (ie. Media Player, Aux 2, CD).
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #1727 of 4854 Old 06-25-2018, 01:57 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 84,354
Mentioned: 751 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22771 Post(s)
Liked: 12419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline9k View Post
Just picked up a 1608 from A4L as a secondary receiver for an upstairs media room.

I connected everything and left the wired LAN disconnected at setup, and when i went to the "network setup" section, it just hung. Never found any networks, nothing ever happened (spinning status circle). My wireless network is run WPA2 through a netgear r7000, never had any other device connection issues

I backed out of that, finished setup, then plugged in the wired LAN. Going through the menu to Network, only the Information and Diagnostic menus are active (Connection, Setting, etc are all greyed out).

did a network reset and nothing changed

tried to do a full reset and it was "savings logs..." but never changed from that status after 30min. I unplugged, waited 10min, replugged, still no networking ability.

is there something obvious I am overlooking or should i return it? The sound quality seems to be great, its unfortunate if it has to go back.
Are the Wifi antennas facing upward? Are you using the "Wireless" setting? Try doing a few more Network resets. If still no joy, return it.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #1728 of 4854 Old 06-25-2018, 05:38 AM
Member
 
Redline9k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Are the Wifi antennas facing upward? Are you using the "Wireless" setting? Try doing a few more Network resets. If still no joy, return it.
yeah, antennas are up, about 15' from the router. I cant even get to the "Connections" setting to pick a wireless or wired LAN - its greyed out, making me think the network card is wonky. Ill do a few more resets and see what happens.
Redline9k is offline  
post #1729 of 4854 Old 06-25-2018, 07:09 AM
Senior Member
 
Razor Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 288
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlwings View Post
I had an Onkyo that did the same thing as you describe. Black screen for a second or two then back again... It started happening after a power outage in my area. Onkyo is known for weak HDMI boards and I guess the power surge knocked it out.

You can try using another HDMI input on your AVR to see if it's just that port.
My understanding is that the problem lies with the copy protection handshake. It gets messed up. It keeps trying to get a positive lock over and over again but keeps failing.




Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Try connecting the PS4 to one of the HDMI inputs closer to the HDMI outputs (ie. Media Player, Aux 2, CD).



Thanks for the replies.



I have tried another input (Media) and got the same result, surely it should work on any input. It also does not happen with my HTPC or Tivo box, only the PS4.



I have a friend with an identical TV/Receiver setup and they don't have any issues with their PS4, I have a feeling my receiver could be faulty?
Razor Time is offline  
post #1730 of 4854 Old 06-25-2018, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 84,354
Mentioned: 751 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22771 Post(s)
Liked: 12419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Time View Post
Thanks for the replies.



I have tried another input (Media) and got the same result, surely it should work on any input. It also does not happen with my HTPC or Tivo box, only the PS4.



I have a friend with an identical TV/Receiver setup and they don't have any issues with their PS4, I have a feeling my receiver could be faulty?
With 4k signals, the HDMI inputs closer to the outputs can sometimes do a better job passing the signal without issue. If you are using "Premium" certified 4k/18gbps HDMI cables and still having the some problem, then the next step would be to reset the microprocessor before requesting warranty repair support.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #1731 of 4854 Old 06-25-2018, 08:04 AM
Senior Member
 
Razor Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 288
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
With 4k signals, the HDMI inputs closer to the outputs can sometimes do a better job passing the signal without issue. If you are using "Premium" certified 4k/18gbps HDMI cables and still having the some problem, then the next step would be to reset the microprocessor before requesting warranty repair support.



I see, thanks for the info.



I have tried premium cables, all with the same result and the PS4 is also only outputting 1080p.



When you say reset the microprocessor do you mean unplug the receiver for a period of time? Is so I have unplugged it for a few minutes.
Razor Time is offline  
post #1732 of 4854 Old 06-25-2018, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 84,354
Mentioned: 751 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22771 Post(s)
Liked: 12419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Time View Post
I see, thanks for the info.



I have tried premium cables, all with the same result and the PS4 is also only outputting 1080p.



When you say reset the microprocessor do you mean unplug the receiver for a period of time? Is so I have unplugged it for a few minutes.
Unplugging the power cord for a few minutes is known as a "soft reset". You'll want to do a "hard (or microprocessor) reset" as noted in your Owner's manual.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #1733 of 4854 Old 06-25-2018, 11:54 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlwings View Post
Should only show up at startup...Did you run the entire setup including the Audyssey calibration? ... Also, trying accepting the dialog in the sell pages so as to complete the software loop. And maybe try a factory reset. Then go through the setup process again. Is your receiver plugged into a switched outlet in your home? I think power outages will cause this to happen as well.

Also check that you have the latest firmware installed.

I would unplug for 10 minutes, then replug and run a factory reset (See Manual), and complete the setup routine again. (See Manual)
I know it's been a while since this post of mine, but finally got around to doing the factory reset and that seems to have solved my issue with the apps download prompt coming up on start up at random times.

This time I just skipped the calibration completely, I still have to dig out the mic from the box.

Thanks for the tips.
rlwings likes this.
Tim vd Westhuizen is offline  
post #1734 of 4854 Old 06-26-2018, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member
 
Scott Oakley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Pine, Arizona
Posts: 975
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Cool SR012 - "Sound" Setting?

I've owned Marantz equipment for 30 years, including two receivers in the "SR" family; I thought I was pretty profficient with them. But every once in awhile there's a mystery that pops up. Guess that' what keeps it interesting...

Anyway in the attached picture, where does the "Sound" setting come from and how do I change it? Its different for each Source...

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3923.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	1.73 MB
ID:	2420670  

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5012 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 10" Sub
TiVO Premiere
Scott Oakley is offline  
post #1735 of 4854 Old 06-26-2018, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member
 
tr4a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Rohnert Park CA
Posts: 534
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Oakley View Post
I've owned Marantz equipment for 30 years, including two receivers in the "SR" family; I thought I was pretty profficient with them. But every once in awhile there's a mystery that pops up. Guess that' what keeps it interesting...

Anyway in the attached picture, where does the "Sound" setting come from and how do I change it? Its different for each Source...

Scott
Scott

On the Marantz remote green and red buttons cycle through different
options.

Steve
tr4a is offline  
post #1736 of 4854 Old 06-26-2018, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member
 
Scott Oakley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Pine, Arizona
Posts: 975
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr4a View Post
Scott

On the Marantz remote green and red buttons cycle through different
options.

Steve
Steve, it worked. Well done! And thank you.
Scott

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5012 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 10" Sub
TiVO Premiere
Scott Oakley is offline  
post #1737 of 4854 Old 06-26-2018, 10:57 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Oakley View Post
I've owned Marantz equipment for 30 years, including two receivers in the "SR" family; I thought I was pretty profficient with them. But every once in awhile there's a mystery that pops up. Guess that' what keeps it interesting...

Anyway in the attached picture, where does the "Sound" setting come from and how do I change it? Its different for each Source...

Scott
Bottom of the remote. "Sound Mode" Each button toggles through available sound modes for each type, music, movie, game, and pure.
rlwings is offline  
post #1738 of 4854 Old 06-26-2018, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 24,792
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6791 Post(s)
Liked: 6793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Oakley View Post
I've owned Marantz equipment for 30 years, including two receivers in the "SR" family; I thought I was pretty profficient with them. But every once in awhile there's a mystery that pops up.
I think this is going to be more and more common......
tr4a likes this.
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #1739 of 4854 Old 06-27-2018, 12:24 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlwings View Post
Hey guys...

Many of you may know this already, but for those of you that are new to Marantz\Denon and your AVR seems to be running a little hot...

You must set the AVR impedance manually prior to use. And it's NOT found in the main menu. It is found through a series of front panel button presses only. Your choices are 4, 6, 8 ohms. It is NOT set automatically, and is preset to 8ohms at the factory!... So if any of your speakers are 6ohms, 4ohms, you will need to set that value. (See manual under 'Connections') otherwise you are running hotter then necessary.

I have 4 ohm speakers and was unknowingly running the AVR at the factory preset of 8 ohms! My receiver was getting extremely hot, even at idle. I thought this was normal until I accidentally discovered the ohms switch... Now everything runs much cooler. It was an obvious drop in temps.

Marantz\Denon should have a sheet of paper taped to the front of the unit telling us this... Amazing that it's hidden deep within the manual... It's important!

Hope this is useful to someone.
Does this only apply if you're powering the speakers with the AVR amp, as opposed to using the pre-outs and have a standalone power amp?
Tri Le is offline  
post #1740 of 4854 Old 06-27-2018, 01:24 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri Le View Post
Does this only apply if you're powering the speakers with the AVR amp, as opposed to using the pre-outs and have a standalone power amp?
Yes, you are correct, however as member 'Jdsmoothie' has pointed out it is actually recommended to leave the AVR in 8ohm mode all the time. (If your AVR specifies that it can run 4,6,8 ohms) Apparently this switch is really only implemented for legal reasons and usually isn't necessary if the amp is of the good quality high current discrete variety... But in your case it wouldn't matter since you are using an external amp. (But your external amps need to be able to handle the ohms of your speakers).
rlwings is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
airplay , airplay problems , atmos , auro3d , bridging channels , clipping , distortion , dts:x , hdmi arc , issue , Marantz , marantz sr 6012 , marantz sr7012 , receivers , sr7012

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off