*Official* Marantz 2017 NR1508/1608, SR5012/6012/7012 owner's thread - Page 62 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4074Likes

post #1831 of 4798 Old 07-18-2018, 07:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Nope. No screw up.

Both the SR6012 and SR7012 are able to "operate" up to 11 speakers (in the main zone) with a "minimum" of a 2CH external amp powering either the Front L/R or Height 2 L/R speakers. The AMP ASSIGN "Pre-Out" setting simply indicates which 2 speakers are being powered to expand the AVR from 9CH --> 11CH. Beyond that you can externally power as many additional speakers as you desire all the way up to all 11 if you choose effectively turning the AVR into a pre/pro.
Well that's a relief. I wonder what the issue was before...maybe that I didn't have it set up on the 11.1 amp assign? I'll give it another go tonight when the rest of my cable comes in. Thank you good Sir~

Turn it up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1832 of 4798 Old 07-18-2018, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 743 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22611 Post(s)
Liked: 12304
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicology View Post
I can't find any reviews or posts comparing the 7012 to the Onkyo rz1100. Can anyone offer any comments on that comparison? I have a rz1100 that is faulty and being returned. The shop doesn't have any more rz1100's to replace mine, but has the 7012 and 8012.

Thank for your help.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Depends on whether you like ACCUEQ on the Onkyo as the SR7012 uses Audyssey MultEQ XT32 which may provide better audio quality. Also depends on how many 4k sources you have as the Onkyo only has 5 HDCP 2.2 inputs while all of the HDMI inputs on the Marantz are HDCP 2.2. The Marantz also has Auro 3D on board and although there are no USA based Auro 3D BDs, many prefer using the upmixer (AuroMatic) for upmixing 2CH music to their height speakers. The SR8012 is more comparable to the RZ3100 as it is an 11CH model.
logicology likes this.
post #1833 of 4798 Old 07-18-2018, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Nope. No screw up.

Both the SR6012 and SR7012 are able to "operate" up to 11 speakers (in the main zone) with a "minimum" of a 2CH external amp powering either the Front L/R or Height 2 L/R speakers. The AMP ASSIGN "Pre-Out" setting simply indicates which 2 speakers are being powered to expand the AVR from 9CH --> 11CH. Beyond that you can externally power as many additional speakers as you desire all the way up to all 11 if you choose effectively turning the AVR into a pre/pro.
Got everything hooked up and it worked as you, and others described. *phew*, I was freakin out =^P

Turn it up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1834 of 4798 Old 07-20-2018, 04:18 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi people,

I have SR5012 for more that a month now, it's incredible piece of equipment (as was my old Marantz SR5200 I changed some years ago to Onkyo but now I am back ). However, I have on issue that troubles me a bit. Sometimes out of nowere it losses the sound processing mode, thus comes silence. Comes back to life when I select the mode again. Has somebody seen this? Any idea what could be the reason and how to fix it?
Appreciate any good advice.
post #1835 of 4798 Old 07-20-2018, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 5342 Post(s)
Liked: 3853
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdata View Post
Sometimes out of nowere it losses the sound processing mode, thus comes silence. Comes back to life when I select the mode again. Has somebody seen this? Any idea what could be the reason and how to fix it?
Appreciate any good advice.
These units memorize the surround mode to use by input selected. So for instance, if you use Dolby Surround for the DVD input but then change to TV input the surround will turn off (or actually revert to whatever mode was last used for the newly selected input). Could that be the issue?
post #1836 of 4798 Old 07-22-2018, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
These units memorize the surround mode to use by input selected. ... Could that be the issue?
Thank you for help. But unfortunately it's not.
My problem is that it happens out of the blue just in the middle of listening.
Tried the soft reset yesterday(as was many times suggested in this board) but was not much of a help. I suspect currently the spikes or the brownouts on the power feed. I have to admit the power is a bit unstable at my place.
post #1837 of 4798 Old 07-24-2018, 07:44 AM

So i assume no-one has issue that audio is already later than video even with lip sync off and 0ms delay?

maybe my tv is the issue
frustrating
post #1838 of 4798 Old 07-24-2018, 09:11 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 5342 Post(s)
Liked: 3853
Quote:
Another thing besides currently selected input is currently incoming format and resolution. For instance, many networks like HBO will broadcast the between movie content in Dolby 2.0 but then when the movie starts it flips to Dolby 5.1. If your receiver has been taught to memorize how to treat things differently for those two, you could have drastic changes at those transitions.

Also if you are watching an SD TV channel at 480 lines of resolution and then flip to an HD network at 720/1080 there can be a change, yes of the sound.

It's annoying but some receivers need to be taught what to do per input, per sourround mode, and per resolution.

Also the HDMI handshake sometimes gets severed during any of these transitions and that can cause temporary black screens, dead sound, and surround sound mishaps. It is annoying but you just have to sit and wait for it to come back in a few seconds once the handshake is re-established.
post #1839 of 4798 Old 07-24-2018, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
SR5012 Pricing

Yeah, I know the rules, but for those of us that follow this long thread and have learned a lot, I think it's worthwhile to mention...

I saw a substantial drop in SR5012 price in my daily email from Crutchfield. If you like it a lot and want another for a 2nd room, or have been on the fence, now is the time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Sony XBR-65A1E OLED | Marantz SR5012 | KEF R300 & R200c LCR, KEF Q100 surr., Polk DSW PRO 440wi
Sony UBP-X800 | Apple TV 4k | DirecTV | BDI Novia 8429-2
post #1840 of 4798 Old 07-24-2018, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I just got the Marantz NR1608, and there is one thing that's been annoying me and was hoping someone could point me towards what is causing this.

When the Shield TV it's connected to goes completely to sleep and then I come back and wake it, the receiver mutes the sound as soon as I start playing something. It seems to happen as soon as it switches from stereo to 5.1 audio, or at least that's when the muted icon shows on the screen. It's a pretty minor inconvenience, but it is rather annoying if I leave for a while come back and hit play only for it to start muted. The receiver usually isn't off at this point but I did just change the power on level for volume from Auto to 50 to see if that helps. Is there anything else that would be causing the receiver to automatically mute itself?
post #1841 of 4798 Old 07-24-2018, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marx Jeffer View Post
I just got the Marantz NR1608, and there is one thing that's been annoying me and was hoping someone could point me towards what is causing this.

When the Shield TV it's connected to goes completely to sleep and then I come back and wake it, the receiver mutes the sound as soon as I start playing something. It seems to happen as soon as it switches from stereo to 5.1 audio, or at least that's when the muted icon shows on the screen. It's a pretty minor inconvenience, but it is rather annoying if I leave for a while come back and hit play only for it to start muted. The receiver usually isn't off at this point but I did just change the power on level for volume from Auto to 50 to see if that helps. Is there anything else that would be causing the receiver to automatically mute itself?
So after investigating I figured out part of the problem. The Shield was sending a CEC signal to the receiver to enter Standby mode, which instead of entering Standby caused the receiver to mute.

I can disable this and get rid of the mute problem, but that causes my TV to stay on after the Shield turns off. I looked through the settings and didn't see anything other than a timer for standby. Is there a way to get the Marantz to recognize this and turn off instead of mute along with everything else?

Though now seeing that's it a CEC problem I'm guessing it may be a lost cause to get everything working right together.
post #1842 of 4798 Old 07-28-2018, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Just some Breaking News which I will update as things progress: About two weeks ago, my SR5012 went "stupid," ie: no sound, no display, nothing. This happened when I turned it on in the afternoon, after it working just fine since purchase (9-10 months ago). Did soft reset, hard reset (without unplugging all sources).

Long story short, it was still under warranty so I was given the option of finding a local authorized repair outlet (logistical nightmare) or shipping it to west coast regional repair (Adams Electronics, Huntington Beach, CA). I chose the latter. Got a voicemail saying it was the "digital board" and it would take a week to get the part, they would call with updates.

Couple of curious aspects: 1. I lost a TiVO box at exactly the same window of time; and 2. This is the second "digital board" to go out on a Marantz AVR. Conclusions: probably a power hit (although no storms during that 24 hour period) and I have a Panamax power conditioner.

I will update this post as things develop.

Scott
logicology likes this.

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5012 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 10" Sub
TiVO Premiere
post #1843 of 4798 Old 07-28-2018, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I just picked up a SR6012 and had a question about setting the surround speakers.

I have 2 in ceiling above me (surround L&R) and 2 in-wall behind me (surround back L&R).

I don’t have any Atmos sources yet, so I’m running 7.1

Should I be configuring the ceiling speakers as a height channel or regular surround channel. I can’t find a clear answer regarding this.

Thx!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My gear: Marantz SR6012 • Parasound HCA-855 • Definitive Technology SM350 • Definitive Technology CLR2300 • Definitive Technology SuperCube II • Definitive Technology DT8LCR • Polk Audio V65 • Panamax Max5300 • AC Infinity Aircom S8 • AppleTV 4K • Samsung 65JS8500
post #1844 of 4798 Old 07-28-2018, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have owned a Marantz SR6012 for about a year now. We use it with our TV mostly. I haven"t used it to stream music for probably more than 6 months since we have other audio equipment for music. Today I used the Heos app on my Iphone 8 and a 6+ to select some music from various sources and the music playback is very slow. Meaning not being interrupted but in slow motion like taking a 78 rpm record and playing it at 33 rpm. My network is having no problems and I can stream video with no issues. The only change that I've made during the year is to replace my router with a synology AC1200. The avr is connected directly with a network cable to the router. The firmware is the latest version, I let it update automatically. The same thing also happens when I try to airplay the music from my iphone. The Heos app wouldn't control the avr but I saw a posting that said to disable the Upnp. Doing this restored the ability of the Heos app to control the avr but still slow motion music. Is there some other setting that needs to change?

Thanks for your help.
post #1845 of 4798 Old 07-28-2018, 09:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Can the SR6012 passthrough Dolby Vision to a Sony Z9d TV ? I'm asking because the Sony has some sort of different DV processing from eternal sources. The SR6012 is now at bargain prices and seems to be the best bang for the bucks. Thank you guys.

I was so happy without HDR...
post #1846 of 4798 Old 07-29-2018, 03:56 AM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4815 Post(s)
Liked: 2848
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrobbfl View Post
I just picked up a SR6012 and had a question about setting the surround speakers.

I have 2 in ceiling above me (surround L&R) and 2 in-wall behind me (surround back L&R).

Should I be configuring the ceiling speakers as a height channel or regular surround channel. I can’t find a clear answer regarding this.

Thx!

If you want to experience overhead sounds separated from ear-level sounds (as provided by the 3D audio formats), then you should configure the ceiling speakers as Top Middle (assuming that's where they're located) and the rear in-wall speakers as Surround (not Rear Surround). This would result in a 5.1.2 speaker configuration. If you do not designate the in-ceiling speakers as overheads, then the 3D audio decoders and upmixers won't be used.

The soundtracks in many older movies were designed to have only "ambient" sounds come from the Surrounds (and Rear Surrounds) so having them high up, even overhead, was quite reasonable. Many modern movies, especially those recorded using Atmos and DTS:X, have directional sounds come from them.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #1847 of 4798 Old 07-29-2018, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post
Can the SR6012 passthrough Dolby Vision to a Sony Z9d TV ? I'm asking because the Sony has some sort of different DV processing from eternal sources. The SR6012 is now at bargain prices and seems to be the best bang for the bucks. Thank you guys.
If the Sony can process DV from the source, then it should still be able to process it when passed through the SR6012.
post #1848 of 4798 Old 07-29-2018, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_ray View Post
I have owned a Marantz SR6012 for about a year now. We use it with our TV mostly. I haven"t used it to stream music for probably more than 6 months since we have other audio equipment for music. Today I used the Heos app on my Iphone 8 and a 6+ to select some music from various sources and the music playback is very slow. Meaning not being interrupted but in slow motion like taking a 78 rpm record and playing it at 33 rpm. My network is having no problems and I can stream video with no issues. The only change that I've made during the year is to replace my router with a synology AC1200. The avr is connected directly with a network cable to the router. The firmware is the latest version, I let it update automatically. The same thing also happens when I try to airplay the music from my iphone. The Heos app wouldn't control the avr but I saw a posting that said to disable the Upnp. Doing this restored the ability of the Heos app to control the avr but still slow motion music. Is there some other setting that needs to change?

Thanks for your help.
Do a Network Reset (p. 263 Owner's manual).
post #1849 of 4798 Old 07-29-2018, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrobbfl View Post

Thx!

You don't need Atmos or DTS:X sources to be able to use a 5.1.2 configuration as using the Dolby Surround upmixer and the DTS Neural:X upmixer will simulate audio to the height speakers when playing standard DD/DTS audio.
johnrobbfl likes this.
post #1850 of 4798 Old 07-29-2018, 04:22 AM

Quote:
You don't need Atmos or DTS:X sources to be able to use a 5.1.2 configuration as using the Dolby Surround upmixer and the DTS Neural:X upmixer will simulate audio to the height speakers when playing standard DD/DTS audio.

Thanks!

My gear: Marantz SR6012 • Parasound HCA-855 • Definitive Technology SM350 • Definitive Technology CLR2300 • Definitive Technology SuperCube II • Definitive Technology DT8LCR • Polk Audio V65 • Panamax Max5300 • AC Infinity Aircom S8 • AppleTV 4K • Samsung 65JS8500
post #1851 of 4798 Old 07-29-2018, 05:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Try every HDMI input on the AVR, generally the ones closer to the HDMI outputs work best.

To do a proper HDMI HDCP reset, power off all devices, unplug their respective power cables and HDMI cables connecting them for 10 minutes. Connect all cables. Power on the TV first, pause 5 seconds, AVR, pause 5 seconds, and lastly the source device.

Also, considering your AVR can pass 4k/HDCP 2.2 video, it's best if you are using the newer "Premium" certified HDMI cables all around.
The Marantz regional repair facility in Huntington Beach, CA states its the "digital board;" should be replaced and back to me within 10 days. Will update in a later thread.

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5012 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 10" Sub
TiVO Premiere
post #1852 of 4798 Old 07-29-2018, 06:51 AM

*Official* Marantz 2017 NR1508/1608, SR5012/6012/7012 owner's thread

Quote:

Wow - that made a huge difference in realism and recreating what I’m seeing on the screen.

Thanks for the advice!

Last edited by johnrobbfl; 07-29-2018 at 10:10 AM.
post #1853 of 4798 Old 07-29-2018, 08:20 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 6689 Post(s)
Liked: 6685
Quote:
My problem is that it happens out of the blue just in the middle of listening.
Tried the soft reset yesterday(as was many times suggested in this board) but was not much of a help. I suspect currently the spikes or the brownouts on the power feed. I have to admit the power is a bit unstable at my place.
Has to be the receiver or the feed. Does it do this with all input devises? Did you try different cables?
post #1854 of 4798 Old 07-29-2018, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

Yes it can.
post #1855 of 4798 Old 07-29-2018, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Do a Network Reset (p. 263 Owner's manual).
I performed the network reset and still the same problem of slow motion music. I even tried playing from the usb port and I experienced the same issue. Any other suggestions? Thanks for your help.
post #1856 of 4798 Old 07-29-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_ray View Post
I performed the network reset and still the same problem of slow motion music. I even tried playing from the usb port and I experienced the same issue. Any other suggestions? Thanks for your help.
Use a different router.
post #1857 of 4798 Old 07-29-2018, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Use a different router.
The router seems to be irrelevant since it does the same thing via the usb port.
post #1858 of 4798 Old 07-29-2018, 06:49 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Can anyone tell me if the remote is RF or IR?

I want to place the 6012 behind my TV on the mantle (WAF issue) and need to know if the remote will work or does it need line-of-sight?

Thanks,
post #1859 of 4798 Old 07-29-2018, 08:39 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by aohurst View Post
Can anyone tell me if the remote is RF or IR?

I want to place the 6012 behind my TV on the mantle (WAF issue) and need to know if the remote will work or does it need line-of-sight?

Thanks,
Or is there an iOS app by Marantz that can function as a full featured remote?
post #1860 of 4798 Old 07-30-2018, 07:15 AM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4815 Post(s)
Liked: 2848
Quote:
Originally Posted by aohurst View Post
Or is there an iOS app by Marantz that can function as a full featured remote?
It's IR and line of sight.

IOS apps are available. You might or might not need to run an ethernet cable from your router to the receiver depending on how reliable the receiver's WiFi connection turns out to be in that location.

You also can get IR relays which use RF connections between their IR receiver and transmitter, so they can control devices that are "hidden". Some packaged 3rd party remote control systems include this functionality. Many people like the Harmony series of remotes made by Logitech.
m. zillch likes this.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
atmos , auro3d , bridging channels , clipping , dts:x , issue , Marantz , marantz sr 6012 , marantz sr7012 , sr7012

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page