Vtuner and all internet radio gone from 2017 receivers - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jdsmoothie

post #1 of 25 Old 05-31-2017, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Vtuner and all internet radio gone from 2017 receivers

I have had a few Newer AV WIFI receivers that have had Vtuner already installed into the receiver.(Yamaha,denon}
Looking to buy a 2017 receiver and few if any have Vtuner or other internet radio installed.
Seems that all or most of the NEW 2017 AV Wifi receivers you will need a Apple or Android device with a app to get any internet radio.
Make no sense since I thing Marantz is still the only receiver to still have Internet radio already installed and not needing a device and app to get radio.......JT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 05-31-2017, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Wow, that sucks. I have vTuner on my SC-99 and LOVE it.

Epson 5040ub 125" 2.35:1 Silver Ticket (white)
Pioneer Elite SC-99, Pioneer Elite A-20, Pioneer Elite SP-EFS73 (L,R,C) / SP-EBS73 (S & RS) / SW-E10 (4)
Sony UBP-X800, Tablo TUNER, nVidia Shield Pro
post #3 of 25 Old 05-31-2017, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

I agree I was listening to my Vtuner to Rush L from Reno Nv from the Poconos(pretty cool}on my 2016 Denon AV receiver.
But looking to buy a 2017 wifi av receiver and none have the Vtuner INSTALLED.
Like to scan the stations on my remote and not having to use a App........JT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 05-31-2017, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 213
I feel special.

Epson 5040ub 125" 2.35:1 Silver Ticket (white)
Pioneer Elite SC-99, Pioneer Elite A-20, Pioneer Elite SP-EFS73 (L,R,C) / SP-EBS73 (S & RS) / SW-E10 (4)
Sony UBP-X800, Tablo TUNER, nVidia Shield Pro
post #5 of 25 Old 06-01-2017, 01:54 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 717 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22165 Post(s)
Liked: 12036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnytuinals View Post
I have had a few Newer AV WIFI receivers that have had Vtuner already installed into the receiver.(Yamaha,denon}
Looking to buy a 2017 receiver and few if any have Vtuner or other internet radio installed.
Seems that all or most of the NEW 2017 AV Wifi receivers you will need a Apple or Android device with a app to get any internet radio.
Make no sense since I thing Marantz is still the only receiver to still have Internet radio already installed and not needing a device and app to get radio.......JT
The 2017 Denon and Marantz networking models (that now have the HEOS module installed) have replaced vTuner with TuneIn for internet radio service which can be accessed on board the AVR or via the HEOS iOS/Android app. Also, 2017 Yamaha models now use TuneIn as well for internet radio although this too is on board the AVR.
post #6 of 25 Old 06-01-2017, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

TuneIn is a limited internet(not many radio stations}
Not sure if any of these are builtin too the receiver since most of the receivers
don't say anything about Internet radio unless you use their app......JT
post #7 of 25 Old 06-02-2017, 01:31 AM

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 99
TuneIn has one benefit over the likes of IHeartRadio... they're not over 20 billion dollars in debt! Seriously, Google IHeartRadio and be prepared to be stunned by just how bad their situation is!
Anyway, not being able to add custom streams is annoying on TuneIn, but they seem to have their stuff together re: integration with manufacturers with a pretty decent API.
post #8 of 25 Old 06-02-2017, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Not sure if any of these are builtin too the receiver since most of the receivers
don't say anything about Internet radio
unless you use their app......JT
Every 2017 Denon and Marantz and Yamaha Owner's manual mentions on board internet radio, the below image being what is printed in the Denon manuals.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	6899
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	2167266  
post #9 of 25 Old 10-06-2017, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
don't say anything about Internet radio unless you use their app......JT
This is not true. I find TuneIn has the most stations.
But I would prefer they leave vTuner in—as lousy and totally out of date a web UI/UX as it is—simply because I have so many stations entered in my Yamaha and Pioneer receivers!
Plus the apps for both are one of the few rock solid bits of software from Japanese companies I have ever used. The Yamaha and Pioneer apps just work and are not full of bugs or a mess. This is a miracle from Japan by any measure.
post #10 of 25 Old 10-06-2017, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
The switch from vTuner to an app is pretty much caused by the audio companies wanting to save a buck. (or Yen/Won/Renminbi/Euro)
If Airplay, etc. has to be included, then for many users, the TuneIn app (free or low cost) does the trick (and is now a decent interface design and UX). This then removes the tuner portion of audio controls from various makers apps. I guess, in theory, reducing costs for that portion of the app, so to speak.
At the same time, so many companies (Spotify, Google Cast, etc.) have their own Airplay/Bluetooth type of technology they are pushing.
Too bad the audio makers did not develop a standard they all agree on. Now they have to continue to make thier own app and/or support and pay either an exclusive company or, more then one (Apple, etc.). It leaves some customers SOL if they are not in Apple or Spotify universe for audio. My devices can all take Airplay, vTuner, and Spotify. This pretty much covers it and gives me options. I would hate to see one or more go when I have to replace one, because of bean counting.
post #11 of 25 Old 10-27-2017, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

I had a Sony 840 that came with Vtuner but less then a year later they got rid of Vtuner and went with
something else.
Vtuner was easy to use since it had 98% of all stations on the receiver.
I have 2 internet radios that are working great in my bedroom(Grace stereo and Sangean WFR-28}Not sure what they are using.
But just installed in my living room a Denon 2400H and seems that there are many radio stations missing on Tunein where as Vtuner had them..
Maybe I need to play with the Denon and its apps and many I might find all the LOST stations that the Vtuner had?....JT
post #12 of 25 Old 12-10-2017, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I bought a 2016 model Yamaha so that I could get Vtuner. For my use I don't need most of the whiz bang features so I don't think I am missing anything.

Now I just need to find a decent sounding 2 channel receiver with Vtuner.
post #13 of 25 Old 02-08-2018, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Tunein is the new kid on the block.

Onkyo stop using Vtuner sometime ago and now they are incorporating Tunein into all of their units.
post #14 of 25 Old 07-09-2018, 11:44 AM

I know this is an old post and all but I've been trying to create vtuner account for the whole day to add bookmarks for my Yamaha CD-N301 and wasn't able to do that. Am I doing something wrong or it is impossible now? If no vtuner support anymore what do I do?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
post #15 of 25 Old 02-11-2019, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Did you every get it to work? I just replaced my old RX-V720 with a new RX-V485 Yamaha, and supposedly it has it installed (it is there in the menu) but the web site does not accept my (IPV6) MAC address?

There was a period earlier in the year that they stopped supporting it but it came back. It is a deal breaker if it is not longer supported. Denon supports a similar process....
post #16 of 25 Old 02-12-2019, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryyyyy View Post
Did you every get it to work? I just replaced my old RX-V720 with a new RX-V485 Yamaha, and supposedly it has it installed (it is there in the menu) but the web site does not accept my (IPV6) MAC address?

There was a period earlier in the year that they stopped supporting it but it came back. It is a deal breaker if it is not longer supported. Denon supports a similar process....
Really? How so?
post #17 of 25 Old 02-12-2019, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:

I hate to break it to you, but Yamaha haven't supported vTuner on their new products for a while now... and the RX-V485 is a 'new product' from 2018.
It does not use vTuner, it uses TuneIn radio, nor will it receive vTuner.

I believe there are no new AVR's coming to market with vTuner... many companies are rumoured to be walking away from the service all together, most noticeable, Bose. They removed vTuner last year and replaced it with TuneIn. I don't know the politics behind it all, but it looks like TuneIn is in, vTuner is out and that's 'all she wrote'.
post #18 of 25 Old 02-12-2019, 08:37 AM

Funeral for vTuner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnersfella View Post
I hate to break it to you, but Yamaha haven't supported vTuner on their new products for a while now... and the RX-V485 is a 'new product' from 2018.
It does not use vTuner, it uses TuneIn radio, nor will it receive vTuner.

I believe there are no new AVR's coming to market with vTuner... many companies are rumoured to be walking away from the service all together, most noticeable, Bose. They removed vTuner last year and replaced it with TuneIn. I don't know the politics behind it all, but it looks like TuneIn is in, vTuner is out and that's 'all she wrote'.

Thanks very much for the information. Around Dec 31 Yamaha did drop vTuner and all he11 broke loose and they reinstituted it, but maybe only for the older models. vTuner does not take the MAC address of my new receiver. My wife is not happy as she was used to the old interface with "Favorites", which still shows up on the Receiver when you start Net Radio. I guess they paid per unit.

It is not obvious how you set up TuneIn. Last night I went through the list of channels and set them as presets. We/she had 8 classical station and I found 7 on the new system, but not all exactly the same.

Also I do not see KCSM our local Jazz station or KDFC our local classical. I set those into the FM.

Maybe this is the time to finally sign up for a music service. Amazon Prime music is available to me at $7.99 a month.

I did go out to TuneIn's web site and they do have these lost stations. I guess I need to figure out how to program them into the system.

Thanks again for the help...
post #19 of 25 Old 02-12-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Really? How so?
Denon is on the list of vTuner partners on their web site. I also have a Denon but never set this up on that receiver.
post #20 of 25 Old 02-12-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Denon is on the list of vTuner partners on their web site. I also have a Denon but never set this up on that receiver.
Only on lower 2016 and older models as it was dropped in favor of TuneIn on the newer HEOS models.
ChromeJob likes this.
post #21 of 25 Old 02-12-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Only on lower 2016 and older models as it was dropped in favor of TuneIn on the newer HEOS models.

Hi,

Today I got a response from vtuner support saying they will exchange my new Yamaha MAC address for the old one to keep me going.... will see if they do it.

I am having trouble seeing how to use TuneIn... links lead me to vtuner?

Thnaks,

JY
post #22 of 25 Old 02-12-2019, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Hi,

Today I got a response from vtuner support saying they will exchange my new Yamaha MAC address for the old one to keep me going.... will see if they do it.

I am having trouble seeing how to use TuneIn... links lead me to vtuner?

Thnaks,

JY
AVR related questions are best posted in their respective Owner's thread ---> https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...rs-thread.html
post #23 of 25 Old 07-27-2019, 05:01 AM

Liked: 0
rx-v473

hi,

i have an old yamaha rx-v473 receiver, the new yamaha firmware isn't supported so i need to remain to vtuner streaming solution.
if i pay the 3$ for vtuner / year, it will work the radio streaming list for my receiver?

is there another solution to get streaming on my receiver

thanks
post #24 of 25 Old 08-03-2019, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 5
The last several months or so (maybe a year) the service is being more and more buggy on my RX-V771 (from 2011) and I wouldn't pay $3/Year ransom for something that goes that bad but there is no other alternative because my receiver is also not updated anymore...
post #25 of 25 Old 08-03-2019, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Angry

Well, I tried to listen to Net Radio yesterday, and it wouldn't work.

My $1,600 RX-A2030 apparently can't get an update. See below. Strange.

I paid the $3 at vTuner, after logging in, and it's working now. So I guess that ended "well" for $3. Cheaper than buying a new receiver.

I wish the "brains" of these things were an upgradable cartridge or something. No reason to get rid of an entire receiver to get Airplay2 or whatever. They could easily sell a brain, which is probably less powerful than a Raspberry Pi thats $35, for $100. Yes, I know about pre-amps and such, but those are also quite a bit of equipment that says pretty static for a few chips being upgraded. And pre-amps are no cheaper than regular amps for the most part.

I found this page at Yamaha:

https://usa.yamaha.com/support/inter...ues/index.html

Quote:
Currently, Yamaha products with internet radio streaming capabilities provided by vTuner are having difficulties accessing the streaming service. Here are the current details that Yamaha has recognized so far:

- Internet radio stations provided through vTuner are experiencing difficulties with playback from the internet radio station menu, except for playback from bookmarks and added stations.

- A customer may see a message saying, "See yradio.vtuner.com for more info about vTuner's full access," on user interfaces of Yamaha products or even may hear it through audio playback. This links to a message that states, "to be able to receive full access to vTuner's service, we [vTuner] would like to ask you for a small contribution of $3 a year. All contributions will be used solely to support the vTuner service."

The message provided on screen or via audio is delivered by vTuner. Yamaha does not endorse the performance of the paid service offered by the vendor.

Yamaha supports many streaming services. Each one of the services may change its business model at any time, which is independent of Yamaha and outside our area of control.

As announced in March 2019, the free internet radio service supported on Yamaha products has been switched from vTuner to airable.radio via a firmware update on select models to ensure access to free internet radio stations.

* Please note: once this firmware is applied, all vTuner bookmarks and added stations will become inaccessible from your Yamaha products.

Some models are incompatible with the available Airable firmware update that could provide a direct replacement for the vTuner internet radio station access to ensure future connectivity. Internet radio station access is subject to the availability and functionality of the original internet radio service provider, vTuner, for the following models:

INCOMPATIBLE WITH THE FIRMWARE UPDATE
CD-N500, CRX-N560, CX-A5000, HTR-4065, HTR-4066, HTR-7065, MCX-A300, MCX-P200, MCX-RC100, NP-S2000, R-N301, R-N500, RX-A1000, RX-A1010, RX-A1020, RX-A1030, RX-A1040, RX-A2000, RX-A2010, RX-A2020, RX-A2030, RX-A2040, RX-A3000, RX-A3010, RX-A3020, RX-A3030, RX-A3040, RX-A710, RX-A720, RX-A730, RX-A740, RX-A810, RX-A820, RX-A830, RX-A840, RX-S600, RX-V3900, RX-V473, RX-V475, RX-V477, RX-V573, RX-V575, RX-V575BT, RX-V577, RX-V671, RX-V673, RX-V675, RX-V677, RX-V773, RX-V773WA, RX-V775, RX-V775BT, RX-V775WA, RX-V777, RX-V777BT, RX-V867, RX-V871, RX-Z7, TSR-6750, TSR-6750WA, YMC700BL/SL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page