Laptop to receiver volume too low. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 06-09-2017, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Laptop to receiver volume too low.

I just purchased a Sony STR HD750 receiver. How should I connect my laptop to this receiver?

My laptop is streaming my music files (mostly M4As) from my desktop computer. The laptop is now connected from its 3.5mm headphone jack to the receiver's SA-CD/CD RCA jack. The receiver's volume is too low when compared to the other sources such as the receiver's AM and FM tuner, and my Audioengine D2 24-bit Wireless DAC which is connected to this receiver's SAT/CATV jack. My laptop's volume is already set to 100%. Also the sound from my laptop is also subpar - the resolution is too low when I compared to the Audioengine DAC.

My laptop has bluetooth and a HDMI jack. I a various USB sound adapters, should these be helpful. Many thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-09-2017, 11:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1785 Post(s)
Liked: 1486
It looks like your audioengine DAC has a USB input, try connecting the laptop to that so that it shares the input with whatever you are streaming to the DAC. I'm not familiar with that particular product, but it looks like it should be able to work with more than one source at a time.

Alternatively, you could just get another USB DAC to connect the laptop to the receiver.

HT: Sony 940C, Oppo 203, Harman/Kardon DPR1001, Infinity Interlude IL40 x2, Infinity Interlude IL36C, Infinity MS-1 ii x2, Infinity MSW-1
Computer: Elac Uni-Fi UB5 x2, Elac Element EA101EQ integrated amp, SVS SB-12NSD
Dedicated 2-channel: Infinity Intermezzo 4.1t towers, Bluesound Node 2, Emotiva PT-100, Crown XLS 1502, Furman PL-8C
post #3 of 11 Old 06-10-2017, 12:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Alternatively, you could just get another USB DAC to connect the laptop to the receiver.[/QUOTE]

I just purchased an "Audioquest Dragonfly Red" USB DAC.
Plugged into the Lap Tops USB port, the Dragonfly takes over volume control.

Espo77's living room equipment: RECEIVER: Yamaha RX-A3030- SPEAKERS: Boston Acoustics M350, M25 center, surrounds, and front heights-
BLU-RAY: Oppo BDP103D- SUBWOOFER: HSU VTF-15H MK2- dedicated circuits for A/V- TV: Vizio P55C-1
Auralex Acoustics LENRD - Auralex Acoustics Roominator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-10-2017, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter

The Audioengine's USB input is only on its transmitter, and it is currently connected to my desktop to stream music to this receiver's through its SAT/CATV jack. The sound from the Audioengine is excellent with high resolution. But, it has occasional dropouts. My laptop is a separate, and is connected to the receiver's SA-CD/CD RCA jack. I have already tried connecting the laptop to a USB sound adapter. Isn't that a DAC or do you mean something else? Using these USB sound adapters, the volume level is also low, and is the same as from the laptop's 3.5mm jack.

My previous Sony basic receiver has a 3.5mm output marked portable, and the sound from that portable output is much higher than from the other outputs. I am surprised that this higher priced Sony receiver lacks that feature.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-10-2017, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

@ Espo77. Is the Audioquest Dragonfly Red's volume higher than directly from your computer? I don't need something that high end. I only need to increase the volume, although an improved sound such as a higher resolution would be nice.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-10-2017, 01:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

You could connect the laptop to the receiver using the laptop's headphone jack, that will give a boosted signal that will increase the volume greatly. Alternatively you could purchase a line-level gain booster, or you could try getting a USB DAC with it's own gain control, like the Lexicon Alpha USB DAC, which is pretty inexpensive.

HT: Sony 940C, Oppo 203, Harman/Kardon DPR1001, Infinity Interlude IL40 x2, Infinity Interlude IL36C, Infinity MS-1 ii x2, Infinity MSW-1
Dedicated 2-channel: Infinity Intermezzo 4.1t towers, Bluesound Node 2, Emotiva PT-100, Crown XLS 1502, Furman PL-8C
post #7 of 11 Old 06-10-2017, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. Connecting the laptop to the receiver using the laptop's headphone jack - that is what I am doing now, and the volume is too low. I looked into the Lexion USB DAC. It doesn't have a line in jack that I can connect to with my laptop. I will look into other DACs that do. Connect a computer to a receiver is so common these days. I am surprised that this route doesn't work with my gear.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-10-2017, 10:28 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 View Post
Alternatively, you could just get another USB DAC to connect the laptop to the receiver.
I just purchased an "Audioquest Dragonfly Red" USB DAC.
Plugged into the Lap Tops USB port, the Dragonfly takes over volume control.[/QUOTE]

I was going to suggest something similar. This is probably your most affordable option too.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-11-2017, 12:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dik F. Liu View Post
Thanks. Connecting the laptop to the receiver using the laptop's headphone jack - that is what I am doing now, and the volume is too low. I looked into the Lexion USB DAC. It doesn't have a line in jack that I can connect to with my laptop. I will look into other DACs that do. Connect a computer to a receiver is so common these days. I am surprised that this route doesn't work with my gear.
That's what the USB port is for. You connect your laptop's USB to the USB on the DAC and the laptop will essentially treat the DAC like an external sound card, routing all audio through USB.

post #10 of 11 Old 06-11-2017, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 203
You said your laptop has an hdmi port. did you try that? Set your laptop to output sound through hdmi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #11 of 11 Old 06-14-2017, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter

Success! I connected the laptop to the receiver via their HDMI jacks. The sound is now loud and clear. I feel like an idiot, but at least the problem is solved. Thanks, everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page