The "OFFICIAL" Yamaha RX-A870 / RX-A770 / RX-A670 Aventage AVR Owners' Thread - Page 14 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 528Likes

post #391 of 548 Old 09-07-2018, 08:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Def Fan View Post
Anyway, I got a return label sent to me from Amazon and UPS is going to pick it up today.
Well I have 4 weeks to figure it out or I may do the same. Turned it on today and no audio from the HDMI. When I turned off the A770 after resetting the HDMI control an error message showed for a second and was gone before I could read it. Error msg flashed again when turned back on. Only caught part of the title, something about HDMI HDCP in red followed by a screen full of text. Very annoying the msg won't stay on to read. Went back to optical cable for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 548 Old 09-08-2018, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by AL B BACH View Post
Well I have 4 weeks to figure it out or I may do the same. Turned it on today and no audio from the HDMI. When I turned off the A770 after resetting the HDMI control an error message showed for a second and was gone before I could read it. Error msg flashed again when turned back on. Only caught part of the title, something about HDMI HDCP in red followed by a screen full of text. Very annoying the msg won't stay on to read. Went back to optical cable for now.
Yeah I tried mine on both HDMI and Optical, connecting the PC to the TV and then the AVR. I had the same problem both ways. Amazon was very quick to issue the refund, literally same day UPS picked it up. The only snag was the UPS guy just slapped the return label on my apt door. Didn't buzz my intercom, didn't even knock on the door. When I called UPS they told me the attempted so called "pick up " time was 1:00 PM. Pretty sure I was just sitting at my PC no more than 15' from the door at that time. So I had to lug it across the street to a small post office that doubles as a UPS drop off and listen to the gal explain to me how UPS pick up attempts work, as if I didn't know. LOL

Anyway, I'm going to go check out a Marantz NR1609 today at Magnolia Design Center in Best Buy. I also want to compare it to the Sony STR-DN1080. I'd prefer the slim profile of the Marantz since it would fit better with my minimal space. On wattage, I'm not worried about how it will work in my small living room, but whether the 50w per channel Marantz would power my Jamo S 426 HCS 3 speakers, which are 6 Ohm and supposedly require 100w nominal as far as I can tell from their specs on them. However eventually (hopefully this holiday season) I'll probably be upgrading to the Elac Debut F5 5.1 set, which requires 40-140 watts.

Anyway, let us know how it goes with yours, and if you have to endure any strange "customer service" conversations with Yapaha.
post #393 of 548 Old 09-19-2018, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Atmos over ARC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
In addition to using the "Straight" setting, you must also ensure the source is set to "bitstream" with Secondary Audio/Mix set to "OFF."
Jdsmoothie - Can you please let me know how to set the source to bitstream as I can't find it anywhere?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #394 of 548 Old 09-19-2018, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 766 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23228 Post(s)
Liked: 12741
Quote:
Originally Posted by nastheman View Post
Jdsmoothie - Can you please let me know how to set the source to bitstream as I can't find it anywhere?
Bitstream simply means the audio is passed as Dolby Digital and not PCM 2.0 stereo. So if you're trying to pass DD+ (Atmos) from Netflix (for example) over ARC, then ensure Netflix (and possibly the TV as well) are set to pass Dolby Digital and not stereo 2.0.
nastheman likes this.
post #395 of 548 Old 09-20-2018, 02:30 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Bitstream simply means the audio is passed as Dolby Digital and not PCM 2.0 stereo. So if you're trying to pass DD+ (Atmos) from Netflix (for example) over ARC, then ensure Netflix (and possibly the TV as well) are set to pass Dolby Digital and not stereo 2.0.
Thanks jdsmoothie - finally got it working - your a star!
post #396 of 548 Old 09-20-2018, 03:46 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sask HT View Post
I'm a week away from being able to setup the electronics in my man cave so haven't looked at the back of the TV. Checked the specs after reading your comment and it appears there isn't a HDMI output, just 4 inputs?

So forgive my ignorance, but if you are using the Netflix app on the TV how does the sound get to the AVR?
Via HDMI(ARC) passing back over the HDMI cable that connects the HDMI(ARC) output on the AVR to the TV(ARC) input.
This set up won’t give you sound through the Netflix app on the tv though. Don’t you have to connect optical cable if you want to use apps on the TV? I really struggle to get sound on my TV apps so I’ve taken to using my Apple TV. A little annoying but works every time. Is something wrong with my AVR perhaps ? Only couple of weeks old.
post #397 of 548 Old 09-20-2018, 04:28 AM

Mentioned: 766 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23228 Post(s)
Liked: 12741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmac82 View Post
This set up won’t give you sound through the Netflix app on the tv though. Don’t you have to connect optical cable if you want to use apps on the TV? I really struggle to get sound on my TV apps so I’ve taken to using my Apple TV. A little annoying but works every time. Is something wrong with my AVR perhaps ? Only couple of weeks old.
You can use either HDMI(ARC) or an optical cable to pass the TV audio from Netflix back to the AVR. The TV audio must be set to "Home Theater" or "External" and in the case of using HDMI(ARC), the TV's HDMI-CEC must be enabled.
Sask HT likes this.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 09-20-2018 at 05:24 AM.
post #398 of 548 Old 09-20-2018, 04:36 AM

Quick questions guys, can the RX A870 handle 4ohm speakers ? Thinking of buying KEF Ci4100QL for L-C-R
post #399 of 548 Old 09-20-2018, 04:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
That post was from months ago...lol.

I have all my stuff working the way I want now.

I have HDMI from ARC to ARC and it works great for me. Once I finally got it working I haven't had any issues. It was important for me to have Atmos for the Netflix programs that have it. You don't get Atmos through optical. Making sure to have all the right settings in the AVR and the TV were the only complication for me. Once I figured that out it's been working good for a couple months now. Netflix sounds awesome through my system.

LG OLED65B7, LG UP970, Yamaha RXA770, Polk S55's, Polk S35, Polk S15's, KEF Ci160ER's, Dual SVS PB-1000's
post #400 of 548 Old 09-20-2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sask HT View Post
Quote:
That post was from months ago...lol.

I have all my stuff working the way I want now.

I have HDMI from ARC to ARC and it works great for me. Once I finally got it working I haven't had any issues. It was important for me to have Atmos for the Netflix programs that have it. You don't get Atmos through optical. Making sure to have all the right settings in the AVR and the TV were the only complication for me. Once I figured that out it's been working good for a couple months now. Netflix sounds awesome through my system.
Haha I know, was more asking for my own enlightenment. I’m having the same problem. I’m connect to tv through Arc but only get sound when watching apps on the Tv. I was told I have to connect the optical as well because Arc only handles picture but that doesn’t seem to work either.
post #401 of 548 Old 09-20-2018, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Haha I know, was more asking for my own enlightenment. I’m having the same problem. I’m connect to tv through Arc but only get sound when watching apps on the Tv. I was told I have to connect the optical as well because Arc only handles picture but that doesn’t seem to work either.
My guess is you are missing a setting somewhere either in the AVR or the TV. I'm at work right now so I can't go through the menu's. There is a setting in the Yamaha AVR in set-up that is about 3 layers deep that I was missing. As soon as I found it everything magically worked great.

LG OLED65B7, LG UP970, Yamaha RXA770, Polk S55's, Polk S35, Polk S15's, KEF Ci160ER's, Dual SVS PB-1000's
post #402 of 548 Old 09-20-2018, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Is it normal for the Rx-a770 to get warm-ish at the top (vents) due a a couple of hours of blu-ray use? I've only had the rx-a770 for three weeks or so, and my only frame of reference is a Yamaha htr 5740 that is less warmer than the rx-a770 after a couple of hours. Thanks.
post #403 of 548 Old 09-21-2018, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Hey there I just wanted to say hello since i just became a Yamaha RX-A870 owner.
post #404 of 548 Old 09-22-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardcrusher View Post
Is it normal for the Rx-a770 to get warm-ish at the top (vents) due a a couple of hours of blu-ray use? I've only had the rx-a770 for three weeks or so, and my only frame of reference is a Yamaha htr 5740 that is less warmer than the rx-a770 after a couple of hours. Thanks.
Mine gets incredibly hot too. Sometimes it’s left on, doing nothing and feels like the cabinet is going to catch fire. Do you have to completely power down when not in use ?
post #405 of 548 Old 09-22-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stngray72 View Post
Hey there I just wanted to say hello since i just became a Yamaha RX-A870 owner.
How you finding it ?
post #406 of 548 Old 09-22-2018, 09:10 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
How you finding it ?

Well ive only had it one day but its giving me no issues. There are some notable improvements over the pioneer vsx I was using. Its also not getting hot at all but mine is resting on a glass tv stand so its open air pretty much.
post #407 of 548 Old 09-22-2018, 09:51 PM

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2257 Post(s)
Liked: 1487
Quote:
Mine gets incredibly hot too. Sometimes it’s left on, doing nothing and feels like the cabinet is going to catch fire. Do you have to completely power down when not in use ?
is your AVR is a cabinet? how much room do you have for ventilation? is there anything op top of the AVR?

Afro GT
post #408 of 548 Old 09-26-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Quick questions guys, can the RX A870 handle 4ohm speakers ? Thinking of buying KEF Ci4100QL for L-C-R
I have a RX-A770 and I'm very interested in a pair LR speakers I saw a youtuber review. Then I found out they're 4-ohm.

On page 132 of A770 manual under "Changing the speaker Impedance setting" it says:

"Change the unit's speaker impedance setting depending on the impedance of speakers connected.
6 OHM MIN - Select this option when you connect 6-ohm speakers to the unit. You can also use 4-ohm speakers as the front speakers."

If I understand correctly you're not to change the setting to 6-ohm because that will reduce your power output and is there only to pass a UL test, some compliance/certification thing.

On the Yamaha product site for the 770 Specs under Amplifier Section the last item says:
Dynamic Power / Ch (Front L/R, 8/6/4/2 ohms)-130 / 170 / 195 / 240 W

Seems it's been tested for 4-ohm and even 2-ohm. But only for L R front speakers.

Audioholics FAQ has some guidelines - https://www.audioholics.com/frequent...r-or-amplifier
Keep it set for 8 ohms, watch excessive volume levels, no AVR in a cabinet/proper ventilation, high efficiency well designed speaker, risky with Mid-fi receiver.
I figure the Aventage fall under "High End receiver".
post #409 of 548 Old 09-26-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Warm is normal, hot is not. AVRs like other power electronic devices produce heat that must be vented and not allowed to build up.

Page 4 of the Quick start guide, #2 Install in a well ventilated, cool, dry, clean place - away from direct sunlight, heat sources.....allow the following minimum clearances: Top 30cm, rear and sides 20cm or 12 and 8 inches.

Electronic components including solid state devices, resistors, capacitors, inductors and others are all susceptible to failure from overheating. The expected life of any component, and of any final product built from those components, is affected by the temperature at which they operate. In fact, a temperature increase of 10 degrees Centigrade is generally accepted as cutting the life of a device in half.
post #410 of 548 Old 09-26-2018, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Warm is normal, hot is not. AVRs like other power electronic devices produce heat that must be vented and not allowed to build up.

Page 4 of the Quick start guide, #2 Install in a well ventilated, cool, dry, clean place - away from direct sunlight, heat sources.....allow the following minimum clearances: Top 30cm, rear and sides 20cm or 12 and 8 inches.

Electronic components including solid state devices, resistors, capacitors, inductors and others are all susceptible to failure from overheating. The expected life of any component, and of any final product built from those components, is affected by the temperature at which they operate. In fact, a temperature increase of 10 degrees Centigrade is generally accepted as cutting the life of a device in half.
Amazing info. Thanks for taking the time to respond, really appreciate it.
post #411 of 548 Old 09-27-2018, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So purchased the A770 model and minus some issues figuring out the settings I am happy with this. Right now I am using the ARC to get sound which works fine.

Ideally I would love to use the receiver for the 4K pass through for Fios and PlayStation (I have a Samsung Ks8000 TV which is 4K) but the picture just doesn't look nearly as good using the receiver as a opposed to plugging the ps4 right into the TV.

Not sure if this is normal or not or maybe I have some setting wrong. I think I set everything up with the receiver to show 4K but I have no idea if the receiver or my TV is to blame.
post #412 of 548 Old 10-02-2018, 12:05 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
The idle Yamaha at a limited space was warm-ish, not close to what you describe. Now that it has tons of open space, it is a bit of a stretch to describe it as luke-warm, but it could the fall weather (73). I'll leave the blu ray player operating for hours when it gets to 80 something this week just to make sure the rx-770 isn't "off"

If I'm not using the receiver for more than 5 hours, I just turn it off. I was advised that my PS3 and xbox 360 died prematurely partially due me constantly turning them on/off. That left a bitter taste especially at a point when I had better use for electronics spending.

Quote:

Thanks. I appreciate the detailed response. Now looking to make a plastic contraption or a heavy cloth to cover the receiver when not in use

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebiscuit View Post
So purchased the A770 model and minus some issues figuring out the settings I am happy with this. Right now I am using the ARC to get sound which works fine.

Ideally I would love to use the receiver for the 4K pass through for Fios and PlayStation (I have a Samsung Ks8000 TV which is 4K) but the picture just doesn't look nearly as good using the receiver as a opposed to plugging the ps4 right into the TV.

Not sure if this is normal or not or maybe I have some setting wrong. I think I set everything up with the receiver to show 4K but I have no idea if the receiver or my TV is to blame.
Wouldn't audio through arc be limited to DD+ when the audio is passed to the receiver through the tv?

Do blu ray or 4k movies still look off when run through the receiver as well?
post #413 of 548 Old 10-02-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I appreciate the detailed response. Now looking to make a plastic contraption or a heavy cloth to cover the receiver when not in use
Here's one with different sizes. Kinda pricey.
https://www.amazon.com/Computer-Solu...quipment+cover
post #414 of 548 Old 10-04-2018, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebiscuit View Post

Do you have the same exact picture settings for both HDMI inputs on your tv when plugging the PS4 directly in and the port the AVR is plugged into. Is the Video mode on the receiver set to Direct? There's also a mode in the hidden settings menu that needs to be changed to make sure the AVR outputs 4K. I can't remember where it is right now, but the options are Mode 1 or Mode 2. The manual will tell you which one to use. Are you turning the PS4 off before disconnecting and reconnecting or just swapping the HDMI inputs?

PSN - Escobar
Yamaha RX-A870 Fronts: Bowers and Wilkins 704 S2 Rosenut Center: Martin Logan Motion 8i Rears: Martin Logan Motion 4 Front Heights: Martin Logan Motion 2 Subwoofers: 2 x Definitive Technology Supercube 2000
Sony 55" A8F, Panasonic UB820
post #415 of 548 Old 10-06-2018, 03:37 PM

New Firmware Update

THANK YOU SWEET BABY JESUS! My girlfriend and I have been getting ridiculously frustrated at AirPlay dropping out.

RX-V683/RX-A770/RX-A870 Firmware Update Ver.2.60
Yamaha is pleased to offer the following firmware update to ensure the best possible performance and latest features for your AV receiver.

This firmware includes

A improvement in AirPlay® stability
A improvement in DSD file playback

I would add the link to Yamaha's site, which I pulled the above information from, but my post count is not yet 5 and I am prevented from posting.
xiaNaix, ChromeJob and AL B BACH like this.
post #416 of 548 Old 10-09-2018, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm a newbie when it comes to amps and speakers. We have a large, approx 16x24' great room with cathedral ceilings. I have been powering a set of 5.1 Klipsch rb81, rc35 and rb35 speakers with Onkyo TR906, an older avr. I just bought a new 4k tv and looking to upgrade avr. I'm not a give audiophile but like decent sound. The rb81 is an 8ohm speaker with Max watts 600w. I'm looking at the yammi 730h avr and curious if the specs will suffice for my speakers. Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
post #417 of 548 Old 10-14-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzinckgra View Post
We have a large, approx 16x24' great room with cathedral ceilings. I'm looking at the yammi 730h avr and curious if the specs will suffice for my speakers. Thanks.
Do you mean the Denon AVRS730H? If so, it's probably fine for the speakers but may struggle in that great room. Here's the Denon thread...
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...sts-1-8-a.html
post #418 of 548 Old 10-15-2018, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2191 Post(s)
Liked: 1138
Exclamation

FYI, all, there has been a firmware update for the RX-A670, -770, -870, RX-V483, -583, -683 models on October 4, 2018. Lists Airplay stability and DSD file playback improvements.

https://usa.yamaha.com/support/updat...udio_visual&k=

“Ever heard of the Sullivan Act?” “Oh that's all right, Detective, we're married.”
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.

Last edited by ChromeJob; 10-15-2018 at 03:27 PM.
post #419 of 548 Old 10-18-2018, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
FYI, all, there has been a firmware update for the RX-A670, -770, -870, RX-V483, -583, -683 models on October 4, 2018. Lists Airplay stability and DSD file playback improvements.

https://usa.yamaha.com/support/updat...udio_visual&k=
I have the RX-A770. I use Music Cast on my phone. After opening Music Cast I select Spotify to stream music. Ever since the latest Firmware update when I do this Spotify Connect says the receiver is not available. Anyone else have this issue? Any ideas on what might fix it?

I use Spotify for all my music and podcasts and not being able to play through the RX-A770 is a major issue for us.

Thanks!
post #420 of 548 Old 10-18-2018, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2191 Post(s)
Liked: 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieWowie View Post
I have the RX-A770. I use Music Cast on my phone. After opening Music Cast I select Spotify to stream music. Ever since the latest Firmware update when I do this Spotify Connect says the receiver is not available. Anyone else have this issue? Any ideas on what might fix it?

I use Spotify for all my music and podcasts and not being able to play through the RX-A770 is a major issue for us.

Thanks!
In this or another thread, a user said that a wireless casting function didn't work after the update until a factory reset. Yes, a bummer.

“Ever heard of the Sullivan Act?” “Oh that's all right, Detective, we're married.”
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
aventage , bluetooth , newbie , RX-A750 , rx-a770 , setup help , Yamaha

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page