The "OFFICIAL" Yamaha RX-A870 / RX-A770 / RX-A670 Aventage AVR Owners' Thread - Page 15 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 528Likes

post #421 of 546 Old 10-19-2018, 06:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
In this or another thread, a user said that a wireless casting function didn't work after the update until a factory reset. Yes, a bummer.
A found a YouTube post that fixed it. Basically you have to go into the Music Cast App select the receiver and in the settings Reset the Spotify account settings. Did that and all is good
ChromeJob likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 546 Old 11-06-2018, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Question: If anyone can help it would be appreciated!

I have a RX A 770 and am running a 5.1 set up bi-amped front paradigm speakers
I am upgrading or adding two up firing Atmos speakers to this set up. Can I leave the Bi amp set up and just add the new atmos speakers or do I have to hook up front speakers without Bi-amping again?

Thanks for the help
post #423 of 546 Old 11-06-2018, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scanaego View Post
I have a RX A 770 and am running a 5.1 set up bi-amped front paradigm speakers
I am upgrading or adding two up firing Atmos speakers to this set up. Can I leave the Bi amp set up and just add the new atmos speakers or do I have to hook up front speakers without Bi-amping again?
Page 25 and 26 of the owner's manual shows 5.1 max for bi-amp configuration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #424 of 546 Old 11-07-2018, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2124 Post(s)
Liked: 1111
Bi-amping speakers is almost always a waste of time, I would give that up to enable more speakers.
Oldways7 likes this.

"Exceedingly odd," said the butler.
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
post #425 of 546 Old 11-19-2018, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Having an issue where the receiver no longer turns itself on when I turn my tv on. Everything was working fine since the initial setup over 4-5 months ago. The only thing different that I noticed is the receiver prompted me to update to the newest firmware today. I haven't unplugged any HDMI cables or changed any settings? I use the receiver as my sound source for all apps and devices connected to the TV.
post #426 of 546 Old 11-19-2018, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDKing View Post
Having an issue where the receiver no longer turns itself on when I turn my tv on. Everything was working fine since the initial setup over 4-5 months ago. The only thing different that I noticed is the receiver prompted me to update to the newest firmware today. I haven't unplugged any HDMI cables or changed any settings? I use the receiver as my sound source for all apps and devices connected to the TV.
Check that HDMI Control (Yamaha’s name for HDMI-CEC) is still enabled. Perhaps try setting it off and on again. FWIW, I’ve had devices stop and start working properly with HDMI-CEC from time to time, it got quite annoying.

Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
post #427 of 546 Old 11-19-2018, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Check that HDMI Control (Yamaha’s name for HDMI-CEC) is still enabled. Perhaps try setting it off and on again. FWIW, I’ve had devices stop and start working properly with HDMI-CEC from time to time, it got quite annoying.
That did it. Thanks.
post #428 of 546 Old 11-23-2018, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an A870 run pre-outs to the left/center/right channels. It works amazingly with surround signals, but when I send out a stereo signal it doesn't upmix anything to the center channel except with 7 CH Stereo. I was hoping at least Neo 6 would do it, or even DSUR or Neural X. Did I goof on a setting somewhere? Thanks.
post #429 of 546 Old 12-01-2018, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDKing View Post
That did it. Thanks.
Glad it worked out. Please take a moment to “like” any post that helps you solve a problem or learn something new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisonpill View Post
I have an A870 run pre-outs to the left/center/right channels. It works amazingly with surround signals, but when I send out a stereo signal it doesn't upmix anything to the center channel except with 7 CH Stereo. I was hoping at least Neo 6 would do it, or even DSUR or Neural X. Did I goof on a setting somewhere? Thanks.
Sur. Decode should matrix stereo signals to 5.1, or 3.1 if that’s all you have. I’m not sure if it works with the PRE OUT connections in addition to the regular speaker terminals. Why are you using the PRE OUTs?

post #430 of 546 Old 12-02-2018, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 4
No sound Yamaha Rx770 receiver

Hi guys/girls. First post with you great people here. Here's my situation, like my tag line says, I've got no sound coming from my newly acquired used Yamaha Rx770 receiver. I bought this unit Saturday, hooked it up at sellers place. I ran a CD player through analog audio 1 input, and it played fine through my headphones. I brought an old pioneer car speaker, but after it played through my Nakamichi headphones, and ran the bass and treble through it's motion, I paid him, and went on my way. When I got home, and hooked up same CD player, same CD, I get no sound. Nothing through headphones, nothing through speakers. I tried fm, nothing. As usual sellers never seem to have the remote. Is it possible to reset something on front panel to get working again? I can't believe transport of unit 3 miles on front seat of my Suv, blew anything out. Is their any fuse for audio output? Or do I need to buy a remote to get this unit going again? Thanks for any reply. Sorry if I posted this in wrong section.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk
post #431 of 546 Old 12-02-2018, 01:43 PM

Sorry guys it's a RX a700 not 770.

post #432 of 546 Old 12-02-2018, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosee1955 View Post
Sorry guys it's a RX a700 not 770.
Hmm, I couldn't find a "Yamaha owners' thread" for the 2010 RX-A700, but you could try asking for help in this thread for the 710/810/etc:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...10-thread.html

You could try doing a factory reset, found under "Advanced Setup" in the manual, p. 101.

You can download the manuals here:

https://usa.yamaha.com/support/manua...sual&k=rx-a700

post #433 of 546 Old 12-03-2018, 10:34 AM

Appreciate it. I actually got Crutchfield to send me a download of the Yamaha manual. Didn't even buy the Yamaha from them, amazing customer service. Just seems so bizzare how it played fine, pulled plug, disconnected CD player, threw on front seat of Expedition, now nothing. Powers on fine, just 0 sound from headphones or speakers. I'll try that link you sent. My thinking is it needs the remote control to get into the menu, and switch something.

post #434 of 546 Old 12-04-2018, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Appreciate it. I actually got Crutchfield to send me a download of the Yamaha manual. Didn't even buy the Yamaha from them, amazing customer service. Just seems so bizzare how it played fine, pulled plug, disconnected CD player, threw on front seat of Expedition, now nothing. Powers on fine, just 0 sound from headphones or speakers. I'll try that link you sent. My thinking is it needs the remote control to get into the menu, and switch something.
Factory reset, from Advanced Setup, no remote needed. But you bought a used AVR from someone with minimal testing, so my gut feeling is you may've bought a bum AVR. I hope it wasn't much dough....

But yeah, if it works okay you will need the remote for a number of things, or a Logitech Harmony Remote (it can download all the codes for your AVR, probably). Perhaps buy one from a big box store that will let you return after a week or two of troubleshooting the AVR.

post #435 of 546 Old 12-04-2018, 12:08 PM

Thanks chrome job. Tried the factory reset on front panel. It kills me how all stereos and TV's are dead without a remote. I never lose remotes, but it seems like everyone selling these days eats them for breakfast. I didn't pay much but it's the principal. Besides how could everything function, then not. I pulled cover, checked fuse, only one I could find was on power supply, checked fine. My thinking it somehow jumped into a HDMI mode or similar. Thanks for getting back.

post #436 of 546 Old 12-04-2018, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks chrome job. Tried the factory reset on front panel. It kills me how all stereos and TV's are dead without a remote. I never lose remotes, but it seems like everyone selling these days eats them for breakfast. I didn't pay much but it's the principal. Besides how could everything function, then not. I pulled cover, checked fuse, only one I could find was on power supply, checked fine. My thinking it somehow jumped into a HDMI mode or similar. Thanks for getting back.

Read the manual. There's probably a knob or buttons on the front to select the input, back to what you are plugging in. And the front display should indicate which input is selected. "Jumped into an HDMI mode" (which wouldn't happen on its own UNLESS you plugged something into an HDMI port) doesn't just happen by itself.

P.S. Don't plug anything into HDMI while the AVR or device is turned on. I've heard reports of momentary contact shorts causing problems.

Last edited by ChromeJob; 12-11-2018 at 10:52 AM.
post #437 of 546 Old 12-11-2018, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have a 670 connected to my LG E7 by HDMI cable to HDMI out. My source of tv is a directv box connected to the 670 by HDMI cable to HDMI 1. I also have a PS4 and appletv connected by HDMI to HDMI 2 and HDMI 3 respectfully. As stated only HDMI cables are used (all monoprice certified premium high speed HDMI cables to be exact). No optical cables are used for sound input for any device.

Everything was working perfectly in harmony until the latest firmware. When I turned on the tv the receiver would turn on automatically and audio would be present through the 670.

Issue 1. When I turn on the tv the receiver turns on but it defaults to audio1 which has no input because the sound should be through hdmi 1. When I select hdmi 1 on the remote the audio works again. Easy enough workaround but issue 2 is where it turns into a cycle.

Issue 2. When I change channels between a 1080i station to a 720p station the screen goes black but the sound continues to work. If I turn off the receiver and turn it back on the picture returns but the sound defaults back to audio1. If I go back from a 720p station to a 1080i station the issue happens again. Same fix, turn off turn back on change back to hdmi 1 audio.

Anyone having these issues? The first chance I get I’m going to change the directv box to HDMI 2 to see if the 670 exhibits the same behavior.
post #438 of 546 Old 12-11-2018, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewmoe View Post
I have a 670 connected to my LG E7 by HDMI cable to HDMI out. My source of tv is a directv box connected to the 670 by HDMI cable to HDMI 1. I also have a PS4 and appletv connected by HDMI to HDMI 2 and HDMI 3 respectfully. As stated only HDMI cables are used (all monoprice certified premium high speed HDMI cables to be exact). No optical cables are used for sound input for any device.

Everything was working perfectly in harmony until the latest firmware. When I turned on the tv the receiver would turn on automatically and audio would be present through the 670.

Issue 1. When I turn on the tv the receiver turns on but it defaults to audio1 which has no input because the sound should be through hdmi 1. When I select hdmi 1 on the remote the audio works again. Easy enough workaround but issue 2 is where it turns into a cycle.

Issue 2. When I change channels between a 1080i station to a 720p station the screen goes black but the sound continues to work. If I turn off the receiver and turn it back on the picture returns but the sound defaults back to audio1. If I go back from a 720p station to a 1080i station the issue happens again. Same fix, turn off turn back on change back to hdmi 1 audio.

Anyone having these issues? The first chance I get I’m going to change the directv box to HDMI 2 to see if the 670 exhibits the same behavior.
You said "when I turn the TV" ... are you initiating this by turning on the actual TV? I would use a Scene button. The Scene buttons switch to the desired input and (if HDMI-CEC is enabled and supported on all) generally power on the associated devices (e.g. TV for video display, HDMI input device).

Check that HDMI-CEC wasn't disabled by the firmware update. Also check if HDMI-ARC is enabled. Your description sounds like you turn on the TV, then the AVR switches to the programmed audio input for ARC.

Don't know what to say about Issue 2. Check if the firmware update changed the HDMI Mode in Advanced Setup (unlikely, but worth checking). Last resort: factory reset, then set up the AVR again; yes, a decided PITA depending upon your configuration. Writing down details of your configuration before a reset is always advisable.

If none of this checks out, I'd contact Yamaha Support and ask them to email you the prior firmware update. Several people have posted about issues after the most recent firmware updates, which isn't conclusive but does raise concerns.

Last edited by ChromeJob; 12-11-2018 at 11:29 AM.
post #439 of 546 Old 12-12-2018, 03:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Several people have posted about issues after the most recent firmware updates, which isn't conclusive but does raise concerns.
Thanks for the info, I didn't know that, then I won't update it on A870.

Ryzen 5 2600,Asus Prime b450-Plus,16GB,MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB(v385.28),Win10 LTSB 1607,MPC-BEx64+LAV+MadVR,Yamaha RX-A870,LG OLED65B8(04.10.25+PC4:4:[email protected]/24/25/29/30/50/59/60Hz)
post #440 of 546 Old 12-16-2018, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
You said "when I turn the TV" ...
I would use the Directv remote to turn everything on by pressing the top right Directv & TV ON button. I was using an older HR24 Directv box. That model has the older longer remote that you could program. It randomly stopped working after the last firmware for the Yamaha.

I tried HDMI 2 with the HR24 and same issues.

I decided to try a Genie client receiver that was in a different room and everything is back to working the way it should. Audio is on the correct input when turned on and no more channels going black when changing channels. I moved the HR24 to the exercise room and it works just fine with that TV. Technology is great. Sometimes.
post #441 of 546 Old 12-16-2018, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewmoe View Post
I would use the Directv remote to turn everything on by pressing the top right Directv & TV ON button. I was using an older HR24 Directv box. That model has the older longer remote that you could program. It randomly stopped working after the last firmware for the Yamaha. ...
As I said earlier, I think that the Yamaha Scene button is your friend.

A Yamaha firmware update should not effect a DirecTV HR24 remote's ability to turn the TV and STP (set top box) on.

Last edited by ChromeJob; 12-25-2018 at 10:02 PM.
post #442 of 546 Old 12-23-2018, 06:01 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Yamaha A870 Image Resize

I recently purchased a Yamaha A870. I have Win7 Media Center connected to HDMI 2. I have video processing for that input turned off. When I first turn on Yamaha & TV (PC is always on), the image is displayed with black bars top & bottom and is noticeable "squished". If I change the A870 input to anything else & back, the image is displayed correctly. My previous Denon did not have this problem. The PC is set to output 1024p & there is no video card, just using Intel chipset on mb.
post #443 of 546 Old 12-24-2018, 02:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Konerth View Post
The PC is set to output 1024p
Errr, not 1080p? What is your display and what's its native resolution?

Ryzen 5 2600,Asus Prime b450-Plus,16GB,MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB(v385.28),Win10 LTSB 1607,MPC-BEx64+LAV+MadVR,Yamaha RX-A870,LG OLED65B8(04.10.25+PC4:4:[email protected]/24/25/29/30/50/59/60Hz)
post #444 of 546 Old 12-24-2018, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chros73 View Post
Errr, not 1080p? What is your display and what's its native resolution?
So sorry, yes 1080p for PC output. TV is a Samsung UN48JS8500 4K UHD, same as with the previous Denon AVR-3313CI.
post #445 of 546 Old 12-27-2018, 02:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Konerth View Post
I recently purchased a Yamaha A870. I have Win7 Media Center connected to HDMI 2. I have video processing for that input turned off. When I first turn on Yamaha & TV (PC is always on), the image is displayed with black bars top & bottom and is noticeable "squished". If I change the A870 input to anything else & back, the image is displayed correctly.
That's "interesting", it shouldn't work like this: if it's set to passthrough then it doesn't touch the video. Check your Intel GPU settings and make sure that it uses the native resolution of the display and doesn't try to do any resizing. Also the TV settings as well, turn off any processing you can.

Edit: why do you use 1080p output on 4k TV? Try out with 4k output first.
Tom Konerth likes this.

post #446 of 546 Old 01-07-2019, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Just a question for those of you who have the A670 and much more knowledge about this unit than I do.

I have my RX-A670 set up in a 5.2.1 configuration. Bose VCS-10 center, Bose 301 Series 2 front speakers (probably 30 years old but still kicking out some nice sound), Pioneer SP-T22A-LR Atmos Speakers set to height and some in-ceiling Monoprice rear speakers.

I used the Yamaha YPAO setup and feel I have a nice balance, but in order to hear anything I need to pump up the volume to almost 60-64 (I have the volume set this way rather than by dB). My wife is pissed at me b/c I need to crank up the volume for her to hear anything and she says the sound just doesn't "sound right". The volume on this unit only goes to a max of 97 - so I'm basically at 2/3 of the volume just to hear anything. Is this normal for this unit or what have I done wrong? I previously had a Sony DN-STR1040 hooked up to the same speakers (minus Atmos) and had beautiful sound at a normal volume.

HELP

Edit: this question primarily relates to the issue of volume. Are Yamaha's just that weak?

Last edited by stonewahl; 01-07-2019 at 09:06 AM. Reason: add info
post #447 of 546 Old 01-09-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonewahl View Post
RX-A670 vs Sony DN-STR1040 hooked up to the same speakers (minus Atmos)
By googling the specs it appears you went down about 20 watts per channel with the A670 vs the Sony (80 vs 100) and added two more speakers. How about room size? Still the same room? Seems you dropped below the power needed for 7 speakers and the room.
ChromeJob likes this.
post #448 of 546 Old 01-15-2019, 06:45 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by AL B BACH View Post
By googling the specs it appears you went down about 20 watts per channel with the A670 vs the Sony (80 vs 100) and added two more speakers. How about room size? Still the same room? Seems you dropped below the power needed for 7 speakers and the room.
AL B BACH,

I believe you are correct and that accounts for the complaints my wife is having. Our great room is 17'x23' but our "viewing area" for the television is 10'x16' of that. I have the speakers set up using the YPAO optimization method near the max of our "viewing area" so the decrease in wattage would account for the weakness in the sound. I'm not doing any harm in running the amp at this volume, am I?

Any suggestions other than a new amp to fully appreciate the a670?
post #449 of 546 Old 01-15-2019, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
…I have my RX-A670 set up in a 5.2.1 configuration. Bose VCS-10 center, Bose 301 Series 2 front speakers (probably 30 years old but still kicking out some nice sound), Pioneer SP-T22A-LR Atmos Speakers set to height and some in-ceiling Monoprice rear speakers.
Quote:
AL B BACH,

I believe you are correct and that accounts for the complaints my wife is having. Our great room is 17'x23' but our "viewing area" for the television is 10'x16' of that. I have the speakers set up using the YPAO optimization method near the max of our "viewing area" so the decrease in wattage would account for the weakness in the sound. I'm not doing any harm in running the amp at this volume, am I?

I have Bose 301 Series IIIs as my surrounds, they’re not bad, but for such a large room you could do better. That Bose center chnnel speaker is part of your problem IMHO. It got terrible reviews from Consumer Reports, and the ones I heard in stereo stores made me cringe.

As mentioned, if you went down in power with your AVR choice, that could account for volume loss, but for movies a center channel speaker does a lot of heavy lifting, and a more capable one could help with overall sound impression.
AL B BACH likes this.

Last edited by ChromeJob; 01-15-2019 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Misspellings galore
post #450 of 546 Old 01-15-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
I'm not doing any harm in running the amp at this volume, am I?

No, as long as it's got plenty of breathing room to dissipate heat and not tucked in a shelf or cabinet.

My understanding is 2/3 volume is pretty standard for Yamaha. I have an A770 in a 13'x15' room with seven 6 ohm speakers. I have the volume at -30 to -10 dB depending on the audio source, usually -20 dB so 3/4 volume and the A770 barely feels warmer than the room.

I suggest you follow Chromejob's advice.
ChromeJob likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
aventage , bluetooth , newbie , RX-A750 , rx-a770 , setup help , Yamaha

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page