The "OFFICIAL" Yamaha RX-A870 / RX-A770 / RX-A670 Aventage AVR Owners' Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 528Likes

post #451 of 546 Old 01-15-2019, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
I have Bose 301 Series IIIs as my surrounds, they’re not bad, but for such a large room you could do better. That Bose center chnnel speaker is part of your problem IMHO. It got terrible reviews from Consumer Reports, and the ones I heard in stereo stores make me cringe.

As mentioned, if you went down in power with your AVR choice, that could account for volume loss, but for movies a center channel speakers does a lot of heavy lifting, and a more capable one could help with overall sound impression.
Thank you both for your input. I agree on the center channel but was sold on it years ago because it was, well, a BOSE.

I have been looking at a Definitive Technology ProCenter 1000 for a decent inexpensive center channel to help improve the dialogue. Hope that can at least help until I have some cash saved up for new speakers.
AL B BACH likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 546 Old 01-15-2019, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2123 Post(s)
Liked: 1110
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonewahl View Post
Thank you both for your input. I agree on the center channel but was sold on it years ago because it was, well, a BOSE.

I have been looking at a Definitive Technology ProCenter 1000 for a decent inexpensive center channel to help improve the dialogue. Hope that can at least help until I have some cash saved up for new speakers.
Keep saving up for a trio of same or same brand matched front speakers. Anything new and capable will show up those old 301s.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
AL B BACH likes this.

"Exceedingly odd," said the butler.
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
post #453 of 546 Old 01-19-2019, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have the RX-A770 receiver.

I have two questions:

1. Why is this receiver discontinued?

2. I connect a Blu-ray player to this receiver. Do I always put it in "Straight" mode? Or I use "Pure Direct"? Or "Sur. Decode" ?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #454 of 546 Old 01-20-2019, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
I have the RX-A770 receiver.

I have two questions:

1. Why is this receiver discontinued?

2. I connect a Blu-ray player to this receiver. Do I always put it in "Straight" mode? Or I use "Pure Direct"? Or "Sur. Decode" ?

Thanks.
1. They're sold out and the new model 80s are available.

2. It's up to you. See "Selecting the sound mode" pages 57-62 in the Owner's Manual.
ChromeJob likes this.
post #455 of 546 Old 01-21-2019, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
On my 870 when using the Xbox one X with dolby atmos for home theater selected. The display shows atmos/pcm is that how the 870 displays it ir have i configured something incorrectly?
post #456 of 546 Old 01-22-2019, 06:03 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harana View Post
My AVR is in standby mode. But I still have this problem.
It is strange that no one else is complaining about it. This is my second brand new RX-A770 unit. I exchanged the first one that had even more problems with this. But this one has intermittent problem of locking on to cable box input.
I am not sure exchanging it yet again for another unit will help. This seems like an inherent problem with this model. Not sure if this is a Yamaha issue or Comcast but my Onkyo has no problem in locking on to same cable box signal.
I am not a happy camper right now...
Did you ever get this figured out? I have similar issue, but am using tibo bolt OTA. I turn TV (sony 940e) first, then AVR. Screen pops up showing no signal and/or HDMI blah blah not supported. Switching AVR inputs briefy then back does not fix it. Only thing that works is unplugging and plugging back in my tivo box. So annoying. My wife hates it.
post #457 of 546 Old 01-23-2019, 01:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzinckgra View Post
Did you ever get this figured out? I have similar issue, but am using tibo bolt OTA. I turn TV (sony 940e) first, then AVR. Screen pops up showing no signal and/or HDMI blah blah not supported. Switching AVR inputs briefy then back does not fix it. Only thing that works is unplugging and plugging back in my tivo box. So annoying. My wife hates it.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...l#post54680708

Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
post #458 of 546 Old 01-23-2019, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
RX-A770 Optical Cable Connection

If connecting an optical cable between the HDTV and the RX-A770 does the AVR need to be enabled for "Optical" similar to enabling "ARC" in the AVR menu when using an HDMI connection to a HDTV with ARC capability? I could not find any menu settings for "Optical."
post #459 of 546 Old 01-23-2019, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNMNL52 View Post
If connecting an optical cable between the HDTV and the RX-A770 does the AVR need to be enabled for "Optical" similar to enabling "ARC" in the AVR menu when using an HDMI connection to a HDTV with ARC capability? I could not find any menu settings for "Optical."
See pages 30, 119, 120, 151 and 152 in the Owners Manual.

AUDIO1 is the default for TV audio input and it's the top optical input jack.

Get to TV Audio Input through Setup, HDMI, turn HDMI Control - ON.

Turn HDMI Control - OFF after if same as my post #391.

I covered my experience w/ TV ARC HDMI audio and Optical in posts #389 and #391 of this thread.

Last edited by AL B BACH; 01-23-2019 at 11:49 PM.
post #460 of 546 Old 01-24-2019, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL B BACH View Post
See pages 30, 119, 120, 151 and 152 in the Owners Manual.

AUDIO1 is the default for TV audio input and it's the top optical input jack.

Get to TV Audio Input through Setup, HDMI, turn HDMI Control - ON.

Turn HDMI Control - OFF after if same as my post #391.

I covered my experience w/ TV ARC HDMI audio and Optical in posts #389 and #391 of this thread.
Thank you AL B Bach for this. I did initially review the manual but it did not make sense to me until I re-read it after your post above. Not knowing how I was going to configure my audio connection from my HDTV prior to TV installation, I pre-wired and fished both an HDMI and optical cable from my AVR cabinet, through my wall and out to the back of the TV. I connected both the HDMI and optical cables to the TV and the RX-A770. My TV does have ARC and I enabled HDMI "on" and ARC "on" in the RX-A770 settings menu. I am getting great audio in this configuration, but was trying to determine which audio cable was taking precedence with both being connected. I was looking for an audio setting for "optical" similar to that designed for ARC. After reading your post and re-reading the manual I think I get it now. I disabled HDMI control and ARC and still had audio from the TV so I assume that is through the connected optical cable defaulting in the RX-A770. I did not hear any discernible difference in sound quality bouncing back and forth between the two audio cables. I went back to HDMI / ARC on and the optical cable remains connected but dormant not providing any audio. Thanks for clarifying.

Media Room - ISF calibrated Panasonic TC-P55VT30, Panasonic DMP-BDT-310 Blue Ray player, Yamaha RX-A770BL, 7.1 Definitive Technology Sound System with Mythos 7,Dual Super Cube 2000's, DT 6.5STR ceiling speakers, Harmony Elite.
post #461 of 546 Old 01-24-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
was trying to determine which audio cable was taking precedence with both being connected.
I think I get it now.
I did not hear any discernible difference in sound quality bouncing back and forth between the two audio cables.
I went back to HDMI / ARC on and the optical cable remains connected but dormant not providing any audio.
You're welcome JNMNL52,

Upper left of my A770 front display shows "TV" for HDMI audio or "AUDIO1" for optical.

Now explain it to me, ha ha. I had all those pages laid out on the table again trying figure this out. My HDMI audio still doesn't work when I turn the system back on w/o turning HDMI Control OFF and then ON again. The front display flashes AUDIO1 when coming on but no audio from there either until I turn HDMI Control OFF. All the 2.6 update did was remove the "Please Wait" msg and the need to cycle power when turning HDMI Control on and off. If you don't have this problem it's probably my TV that's the weak link.

Last edited by AL B BACH; 01-24-2019 at 02:36 PM. Reason: correcting my bad
post #462 of 546 Old 01-24-2019, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Just my two cents...

Quote:
... Yea, no difference now but Optical is about maxed out while HDMI can handle more if and when new improved audio is coming from the TV.
HDMI eARC is coming, but you'd need a TV that supports it, and an AVR that supports it (and I don't think the *70 series are getting it with firmware update, but I could be mistaken).

SPDIF (TOSlink and coax audio) and HDMI-ARC have roughly the same limitations: compressed multichannel or uncompressed (PCM) 2.0. You wouldn't hear much difference in quality IMHO.
AL B BACH likes this.

post #463 of 546 Old 01-24-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
SPDIF (TOSlink and coax audio) and HDMI-ARC have roughly the same limitations: compressed multichannel or uncompressed (PCM) 2.0. You wouldn't hear much difference in quality IMHO.
Doh, I thought HDMI was better, thanks. So the only advantage for ARC as far as audio is concerned is to have one less cable (Optical)?
post #464 of 546 Old 01-24-2019, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Doh, I thought HDMI was better, thanks. So the only advantage for ARC as far as audio is concerned is to have one less cable (Optical)?
Yyyyyyyep.
AL B BACH likes this.
post #465 of 546 Old 01-24-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Yyyyyyyep.
Great, you saved me some time. I found if if I turn on the A770 5 sec. after the TV the ARC audio will kick in. So I was trying to figure how to add a delay between the TV & AVR "power on"s for my Harmony's. Wasn't going to be easy, thanks again.
post #466 of 546 Old 01-26-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
You're welcome JNMNL52,

Upper left of my A770 front display shows "TV" for HDMI audio or "AUDIO1" for optical.

Now explain it to me, ha ha. I had all those pages laid out on the table again trying figure this out. My HDMI audio still doesn't work when I turn the system back on w/o turning HDMI Control OFF and then ON again. The front display flashes AUDIO1 when coming on but no audio from there either until I turn HDMI Control OFF. All the 2.6 update did was remove the "Please Wait" msg and the need to cycle power when turning HDMI Control on and off. If you don't have this problem it's probably my TV that's the weak link.
The manual certainly is not clear on any of this to me as well. I have both an optical and HDMI cable connected to my TV and AVR. Here is what I am seeing: In the upper left corner of my A770 front display I see a small orange/red light which states" HDMI out" and next to it "HDMI2" in white lettering displayed (which is my FIOS cable box source). When I go to HDMI set-up with HDMI control off, I can toggle audio output HDMI out (TV) on/off. No other audio outputs are listed. I assume when HDMI out (TV) is off, I am using the optical connection since I still have sound; but I am having doubts. My front display does not change - still reading "HDMI Out." When I turn HDMI Control "on", audio output HDMI out (TV) is grayed out (reading-HDMI Out (TV) Control Sync).

Regardless of what settings I select, my front display does not change. So I remain confused by all of this.

Media Room - ISF calibrated Panasonic TC-P55VT30, Panasonic DMP-BDT-310 Blue Ray player, Yamaha RX-A770BL, 7.1 Definitive Technology Sound System with Mythos 7,Dual Super Cube 2000's, DT 6.5STR ceiling speakers, Harmony Elite.

Last edited by JNMNL52; 01-27-2019 at 06:11 AM.
post #467 of 546 Old 01-26-2019, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Great, you saved me some time. I found if if I turn on the A770 5 sec. after the TV the ARC audio will kick in. So I was trying to figure how to add a delay between the TV & AVR "power on"s for my Harmony's. Wasn't going to be easy, thanks again.
Try using Scene buttons to turn on. I occasionally have issues of my Samsung "stealing" the CEC control, usually when turning on an Apple TV with its Home button, not the Scene configured for it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

post #468 of 546 Old 01-26-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
I see an small orange/red light which states" HDMI out" and next to it "HDMI2" in white lettering displayed (which is my FIOS cable box source). When I go to HDMI set-up I and have HDMI control off, and I can toggle audio output HDMI out (TV) on/off. No other audio outputs are listed. I assume when HDMI out (TV) is off, I am using the optical connection since I still have sound; but I am having doubts. My front display does not change - still reading "HDMI Out." When I turn HDMI Control "on", audio output HDMI out (TV) is grayed out (reading-HDMI Out (TV) Control Sync).
Yea, on the left "HDMI OUT" in red and then next to it whatever the audio input is in bigger white letters. HDMI OUT in red stays lit when the TV is on regardless if it's set to ON, OFF or grayed out. I think it is only unlit when selecting a source that doesn't use the TV like the radio tuner and phono.

Only when you turn HDMI Control "ON" will the menu with "TV Audio Input, ARC and Standby Sync" appear. Then enter "TV Audio Input" to select from the optical, coax and RCA audio inputs, (AUDIO1-5 and AV1-2).

I see now we're working with different audio sources. I'm using OTA antenna TV so that audio must pass thru the TV to get to the AVR. You're cable audio doesn't come thru the TV. The AVR gets it from the cable box thru HDMI2 like you're front display shows.
post #469 of 546 Old 01-27-2019, 01:57 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
The manual certainly is not clear on any of this to me as well. I have both an optical and HDMI cable connected to my TV and AVR. Here is what I am seeing: In the upper left corner of my A770 front display I see an small orange/red light which states" HDMI out" and next to it "HDMI2" in white lettering displayed (which is my FIOS cable box source). When I go to HDMI set-up I and have HDMI control off, and I can toggle audio output HDMI out (TV) on/off. No other audio outputs are listed. I assume when HDMI out (TV) is off, I am using the optical connection since I still have sound; but I am having doubts. My front display does not change - still reading "HDMI Out." When I turn HDMI Control "on", audio output HDMI out (TV) is grayed out (reading-HDMI Out (TV) Control Sync).

Regardless of what settings I select, my front display does not change. So I remain confused by all of this.

For A770, HDMI-ARC output is 'Audio 5' (second row first button just before AV1)
post #470 of 546 Old 01-27-2019, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Yea, on the left "HDMI OUT" in red and then next to it whatever the audio input is in bigger white letters. HDMI OUT in red stays lit when the TV is on regardless if it's set to ON, OFF or grayed out. I think it is only unlit when selecting a source that doesn't use the TV like the radio tuner and phono.

Only when you turn HDMI Control "ON" will the menu with "TV Audio Input, ARC and Standby Sync" appear. Then enter "TV Audio Input" to select from the optical, coax and RCA audio inputs, (AUDIO1-5 and AV1-2).

I see now we're working with different audio sources. I'm using OTA antenna TV so that audio must pass thru the TV to get to the AVR. You're cable audio doesn't come thru the TV. The AVR gets it from the cable box thru HDMI2 like you're front display shows.
Thanks. I did notice when I watch Netflix or Amazon Prime through the (ethernet-connected) apps on my TV, the "TV" source light illuminates on the front display...as it should. But unlike using FIOS cable or Blu-Ray sources, I am unable to change the DSP program sound options. It defaults to Surround Decode and when I attempt to change a DSP option the streaming program gets interupted and trips offline. Am I correct in assuming that the AVR is automatically choosing the Surround Decode based on the ethernet input? I was just surprised that I was not able to change sound profiles.

post #471 of 546 Old 01-28-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Try using Scene buttons to turn on. I occasionally have issues of my Samsung "stealing" the CEC control, usually when turning on an Apple TV with its Home button, not the Scene configured for it.
I briefly tried out CEC and Scene before without any success. I got a Monoprice Certified HDMI cable and still no headway. The Scene button instructions are frustrating to me. I have a Harmony 650 I'm happy with so I put this stuff on the back burner.
post #472 of 546 Old 01-28-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I did notice when I watch Netflix or Amazon Prime through the (ethernet-connected) apps on my TV, the "TV" source light illuminates on the front display...as it should. But unlike using FIOS cable or Blu-Ray sources, I am unable to change the DSP program sound options. It defaults to Surround Decode and when I attempt to change a DSP option the streaming program gets interupted and trips offline. Am I correct in assuming that the AVR is automatically choosing the Surround Decode based on the ethernet input? I was just surprised that I was not able to change sound profiles.
My first thought was how they don't update the apps on TVs. Maybe they can't handle the newer Dolby versions. I have a Panny Plasma also, a TC-P50S60. The apps still look the same as when new and they're sluggish compared to my streaming sticks. So I tried Netflix and Amazon, ethernet also. Played some movies and got surround sound. I'm able to use the Straight, Sur.Decode and Movie buttons and cycle through all the modes. I tried this with Optical "AUDIO1" and HDMI "TV" and both worked. The TV apps don't have any audio settings to adjust unlike the Fire and Roku. What about you're TV's audio settings?
post #473 of 546 Old 01-29-2019, 05:11 AM

Change volume scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonewahl View Post
A670 I need to pump up the volume to almost 60-64 (I have the volume set this way rather than by dB).
How did you switch the volume scale from -dB to regular numbers? I've been looking through my owner's manual but can't find it. I have an A770 and hope it's the same as your A670.

I just got an Amazon Echo Input and it uses 1-100 not -80dB to 0dB. Bass-ackwards

A: Yamaha RX-A770BL, Technics SL-Q300, Philharmonic AA+ & AA Center, 5-Panasonic SB-HEP20, Dayton SUB-1200 & Pioneer SW-8 w/AOSHIKE 100W TPA3116 Amp
V: Panasonic TC-P50S60 Plasma, Sony BDP-S3200, Fire TV Stick 4K, Roku SS 3800R, Chromecast 1 w/UGREEN Ethernet Adapter, CM4221HD hacked & CM7777 Preamp
R: Logitech Harmony Smart Control, Echo Input & Panasonic SC-NP10, TP-Link Archer C9
post #474 of 546 Old 01-29-2019, 05:56 AM

Quote:
My first thought was how they don't update the apps on TVs. Maybe they can't handle the newer Dolby versions. I have a Panny Plasma also, a TC-P50S60. The apps still look the same as when new and they're sluggish compared to my streaming sticks. So I tried Netflix and Amazon, ethernet also. Played some movies and got surround sound. I'm able to use the Straight, Sur.Decode and Movie buttons and cycle through all the modes. I tried this with Optical "AUDIO1" and HDMI "TV" and both worked. The TV apps don't have any audio settings to adjust unlike the Fire and Roku. What about you're TV's audio settings?
I do not believe my Panny apps have been updated since new either and do not have another device with apps to compare. My TV sound settings are grayed out and not adjustable. I am assuming this is because I am under HDMI control and ARC enabled and/or from the professional ISF calibration. I was considering adding a ATV4K in prep for a new 4K TV in the future and use those new apps which will have more selection on program choices and audio selection.

post #475 of 546 Old 01-29-2019, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by chros73 View Post
That's "interesting", it shouldn't work like this: if it's set to passthrough then it doesn't touch the video. Check your Intel GPU settings and make sure that it uses the native resolution of the display and doesn't try to do any resizing. Also the TV settings as well, turn off any processing you can.

Edit: why do you use 1080p output on 4k TV? Try out with 4k output first.
I have checked all the settings, on the HTPC and TV. Nothing is set to adjust display size. The Intel chipset on this motherboard does not support 4K resolution.

I tried turning on the TV without the Yamaha powered on and the display does the same thing, showing bars on top & bottom with a squished image. So I doubt the Yamaha is the problem now. Must be something in the handshake for the HDCP or similar that is telling one of the units to change size.
post #476 of 546 Old 02-01-2019, 01:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Konerth View Post
I have checked all the settings, on the HTPC and TV. Nothing is set to adjust display size. The Intel chipset on this motherboard does not support 4K resolution.
If there's nothing in the driver then it must be the TV. Ask about it in the topic of your TV.

Ryzen 5 2600,Asus Prime b450-Plus,16GB,MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB(v385.28),Win10 LTSB 1607,MPC-BEx64+LAV+MadVR,Yamaha RX-A870,LG OLED65B8(04.10.25+PC4:4:[email protected]/24/25/29/30/50/59/60Hz)
post #477 of 546 Old 02-01-2019, 04:34 AM

Does anybody know if I can setup the scene modes to enable/disable the subwoofer? I like to use my sub for movies but don't like it on when I'm just watching TV.
post #478 of 546 Old 02-02-2019, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR84 View Post
Does anybody know if I can setup the scene modes to enable/disable the subwoofer? I like to use my sub for movies but don't like it on when I'm just watching TV.
1. Doubtful, but check your OM for the settings that are saved in the Scene configuration.

2. Do you have any speakers marked “small” and you want to stop bass mgmt sending ULF or LF bass to the sub? Then enter Pure Direct mode … but that will disable other processing that you may want.

3. If you just want the sub quiet, look for the subwoofer trim in Options under volume trim. Just turn it down temporarily.

post #479 of 546 Old 02-03-2019, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR84 View Post
1. Doubtful, but check your OM for the settings that are saved in the Scene configuration.

2. Do you have any speakers marked “small” and you want to stop bass mgmt sending ULF or LF bass to the sub? Then enter Pure Direct mode … but that will disable other processing that you may want.

3. If you just want the sub quiet, look for the subwoofer trim in Options under volume trim. Just turn it down temporarily. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]
I can only see a speakers setting in the scene menu but it doesn't seem to do the job. Despite owning a number of Yamaha receivers I've never felt the need to use the scene modes so I'm still working them out. I thought I read on here somewhere you could setup the scene modes to use a different speaker configuration.

All my speakers are set to small with the sub on but they obviously need to be reconfigured to large when I don't use the sub.

I have decent fronts so I just don't feel the need to use the sub for alot of stuff and don't really want another thing on using power.
post #480 of 546 Old 02-03-2019, 03:33 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Hey guys, just got the A2080 today, really nice receiver. Enjoying it a lot.
Noticed when I playback films (digital format) with Atmos they get displayed as 'Atmos DT-HD' and when I playback films (digital format) with DTS-X they show on the display as 'DTS:X MA'
Is this normal because I noticed in all the promo photos of the receiver atmos is displayed as just as 'Atmos' and DTS-X is shown as 'DTS:X'.

An odd quirk, just wanted to know if this correct.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
aventage , bluetooth , newbie , RX-A750 , rx-a770 , setup help , Yamaha

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page