The "OFFICIAL" Yamaha RX-A870 / RX-A770 / RX-A670 Aventage AVR Owners' Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 525Likes

post #31 of 528 Old 08-07-2017, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
Exchange it since you're within that time frame. Kind of a no brainer.
I was thinking of that too. I will try it with a few more HDMI cables tonight. Just like to make sure it is not my cable. I hope Fry's have one in stock to exchange :-(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 528 Old 08-10-2017, 03:27 PM

Yamaha RX-A770 Synching Comcast cable box output to HDMI input issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harana View Post
I was thinking of that too. I will try it with a few more HDMI cables tonight. Just like to make sure it is not my cable. I hope Fry's have one in stock to exchange :-(
I went ahead and exchanged RX-A770 unit yesterday. Fry's Electronics exchanged it hassle free.
Everything looks good so far except one issue - I noticed a signal Synching or locking issue with Comcast cable box output to HDMI input. Firstly, it takes several seconds to have the cable channel locked/captured and displayed on TV. But sometimes it says that there is no signal detected. I had to turn off the RX-A770 and then turn it on again for RX-A770 to displayed the channel.
Is this normal with Yamaha? My Onkyo never had any such issue with the same cable box. Is there a setting I am missing to make it work better?

Last edited by Harana; 08-11-2017 at 10:40 AM.
post #33 of 528 Old 08-12-2017, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 29
i own a 770.. just trying to make sure im getting everything i want out of it..

Is there a specific setting in the AVR to adjust for 4k output to my TV, or does it do everything automatically through the HDMI input/outputs.

also, when trying to adjust my dts dialogue, all i get is a "---", no option to change it or anything, even though it's definitely decoding DTS as thats what the screen is saying, unless i'm missing something here. just unsure why it's not allowing me to mess with the DTS dialogue.

thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 528 Old 08-13-2017, 02:20 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21982 Post(s)
Liked: 11922
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrigadierAngus View Post
i own a 770.. just trying to make sure im getting everything i want out of it..

Is there a specific setting in the AVR to adjust for 4k output to my TV, or does it do everything automatically through the HDMI input/outputs.

also, when trying to adjust my dts dialogue, all i get is a "---", no option to change it or anything, even though it's definitely decoding DTS as thats what the screen is saying, unless i'm missing something here. just unsure why it's not allowing me to mess with the DTS dialogue.

thanks.
1. Other than the "4k Mode" setting in the Advanced Setup menu (see image below), the A2070 is the lowest model with "Video Adjustment" settings (eg. Brightness, Contrast, Saturation, etc.).

2. As noted on p. 99 of the Owner's manual in reference to the "DTS Dialogue Control" setting ....

Quote:
This setting is available only when DTS:X content which supports the DTS Dialog Control feature is played back.
Currently only a very few DTS:X mixers have opted to include this control, so at least at present, don't expect this setting to be enabled very often.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	2454
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	2266976  
post #35 of 528 Old 08-13-2017, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
I went ahead and exchanged RX-A770 unit yesterday. Fry's Electronics exchanged it hassle free.
Everything looks good so far except one issue - I noticed a signal Synching or locking issue with Comcast cable box output to HDMI input. Firstly, it takes several seconds to have the cable channel locked/captured and displayed on TV. But sometimes it says that there is no signal detected. I had to turn off the RX-A770 and then turn it on again for RX-A770 to displayed the channel.
Is this normal with Yamaha? My Onkyo never had any such issue with the same cable box. Is there a setting I am missing to make it work better?
I have the same problem with my 7810,with about a 6 year old comcast DVR box. Have changed cables, did not help.
I think I have traced it down to the cable box hdmi out, cant see any corrosion or anything. But cleaned the contacts with the cable box unplugged, rubbing a toothpick with a little 91% iso propyl alcohol on the contacts, since I dont have any contact cleaner. So far it is working, but has only been a few hours. Blow it dry with a hair dryer for about 10 seconds.
Old Mike

Vizio-d58u-d3, Yamaha-TSR-7810
Fronts-JBL-S38II, Center-Infinity Extra Center Two
Sides-Klipsch KB-15, In-Ceiling-Yamaha NSIC600WH
SUB-Bic-F12, Technics SL-D2 Turntable
post #36 of 528 Old 08-14-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mf15 View Post
I have the same problem with my 7810,with about a 6 year old comcast DVR box. Have changed cables, did not help.
I think I have traced it down to the cable box hdmi out, cant see any corrosion or anything. But cleaned the contacts with the cable box unplugged, rubbing a toothpick with a little 91% iso propyl alcohol on the contacts, since I dont have any contact cleaner. So far it is working, but has only been a few hours. Blow it dry with a hair dryer for about 10 seconds.
Old Mike
Thank you Old Mike. I will try this method and report back.
But why would that same old Comcast Cable Box have no problems with my Onkyo AVR? Onkyo AVR locks the cable box signal much quicker than Yamaha RX-770 does, and never tells me that there is no signal?
Is this Just normal for Yamaha design of HDMI inputs?
post #37 of 528 Old 08-14-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Thank you Old Mike. I will try this method and report back.
But why would that same old Comcast Cable Box have no problems with my Onkyo AVR? Onkyo AVR locks the cable box signal much quicker than Yamaha RX-770 does, and never tells me that there is no signal?
Is this Just normal for Yamaha design of HDMI inputs?
No idea other than more complex handshaking going on, perhaps.
After 24 hours so far no problems,but it has done this before, if I make it for a week, perhaps the problem is solved. Make sure you dont use acetone or anything that will dissolve plastic.
I am sure there are better ways to clean the contacts, such as contact cleaner.
Old Mike

Last edited by mf15; 08-14-2017 at 10:51 AM.
post #38 of 528 Old 08-14-2017, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
1. Other than the "4k Mode" setting in the Advanced Setup menu (see image below), the A2070 is the lowest model with "Video Adjustment" settings (eg. Brightness, Contrast, Saturation, etc.).

2. As noted on p. 99 of the Owner's manual in reference to the "DTS Dialogue Control" setting ....

Currently only a very few DTS:X mixers have opted to include this control, so at least at present, don't expect this setting to be enabled very often.

Thank you for responding, sir. i actually didnt get an owner's manual, just a quick start guide, so that helps alot.

I have one more question i'm hoping someone can shed some light on, the only thing i can guess is that i either have something not set correctly on my AVR, or i'm expecting more out of my setup than i'm currently receiving.

when i setup for DTS, usually watching netflix streamed from ps4 or casted thru phone... but even with blurays.. when i'm watching a movie i'll go with the sound decoder option, (should i leave the decoder set to auto??? or is there a better option to default to?)

regardless, 95% of the time i end up switching to 7 CH STEREO, not because it sounds better, but because its CLEARER... my surrounds are actually producing sounds... i like the idea of SURROUND SOUND, but i also like to hear what i'm surrounded with.. is it because i'm listening to these movies @ below reference levels? (sleeping baby + wife = trouble) so this is something that is unfortunately forced upon me more than not.

is there any other options to get more sound out of my surround's, using an actual surround decoder?? or am i forced to use 7 CH STEREO @ below reference volumes? i guess i could increase the dB level's on them, although i'd rather not, as next time i get the opportunity to crank the volume i have to go in and turn the surrounds back down again...... my luck i'd forget and blow the speakers...

or am i **** outta luck here?

thanks guys.

if it's help to you, i have Def Tech ST's as my mains, and KEF center channel / surrounds / subwoofer.

Last edited by BrigadierAngus; 08-14-2017 at 05:11 PM.
post #39 of 528 Old 08-15-2017, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrigadierAngus View Post
Thank you for responding, sir. i actually didnt get an owner's manual, just a quick start guide, so that helps alot.

I have one more question i'm hoping someone can shed some light on, the only thing i can guess is that i either have something not set correctly on my AVR, or i'm expecting more out of my setup than i'm currently receiving.

when i setup for DTS, usually watching netflix streamed from ps4 or casted thru phone... but even with blurays.. when i'm watching a movie i'll go with the sound decoder option, (should i leave the decoder set to auto??? or is there a better option to default to?)

regardless, 95% of the time i end up switching to 7 CH STEREO, not because it sounds better, but because its CLEARER... my surrounds are actually producing sounds... i like the idea of SURROUND SOUND, but i also like to hear what i'm surrounded with.. is it because i'm listening to these movies @ below reference levels? (sleeping baby + wife = trouble) so this is something that is unfortunately forced upon me more than not.

is there any other options to get more sound out of my surround's, using an actual surround decoder?? or am i forced to use 7 CH STEREO @ below reference volumes? i guess i could increase the dB level's on them, although i'd rather not, as next time i get the opportunity to crank the volume i have to go in and turn the surrounds back down again...... my luck i'd forget and blow the speakers...

or am i **** outta luck here?

thanks guys.

if it's help to you, i have Def Tech ST's as my mains, and KEF center channel / surrounds / subwoofer.

1. MFR's no longer provide hard copy Owner's Manuals; however, if you purchased new in box, you should have received the Owner's Manual on a CD. It can also be downloaded from Yamaha's website.
2. The surrounds are intended for ambient audio only and so therefore are often times silent. You can of course bump up the volume of the surround speakers a few db for when there is actually audio going to them. Also, although using 7CH Stereo is an option; in doing so, you lose the true surround sound effect.
Merc1973 likes this.
post #40 of 528 Old 08-16-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
No idea other than more complex handshaking going on, perhaps.
After 24 hours so far no problems,but it has done this before, if I make it for a week, perhaps the problem is solved. Make sure you dont use acetone or anything that will dissolve plastic.
I am sure there are better ways to clean the contacts, such as contact cleaner.
Old Mike
Okay. I tried cleaning the contacts on the Comcast box but it did not improve anything. BTW, I noticed that my Comcast box is only 1 year old.
I did notice that RX-A770 locks on to cable signal faster and without complaining about no signal, if it is on before the TV/Cable box is turned on. If TV/cable box is on and AVR is turned on afterwards then many times it flickers (signal shows up and disappears) or just refuses to see the signal. In that case I have to turn off the AVR and turn it on again. This second time it locks on to signal quickly. It is annoying....
post #41 of 528 Old 08-16-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Okay. I tried cleaning the contacts on the Comcast box but it did not improve anything. BTW, I noticed that my Comcast box is only 1 year old.
I did notice that RX-A770 locks on to cable signal faster and without complaining about no signal, if it is on before the TV/Cable box is turned on. If TV/cable box is on and AVR is turned on afterwards then many times it flickers (signal shows up and disappears) or just refuses to see the signal. In that case I have to turn off the AVR and turn it on again. This second time it locks on to signal quickly. It is annoying....
DO you have your avr off, or standby on, mine is standby on.
It could even be called standby through,I forget.
There should be a little red led on to the right of the power button,which should be lit.
Mine is still working correctly.
Old Mike

Last edited by mf15; 08-16-2017 at 10:41 AM.
post #42 of 528 Old 08-17-2017, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Two of my four HDMI devices, two of them (Apple TV and Nintendo Switch) are capable of sutomatically powering everything on when they are powered on/awoken from sleep. Both of these, especially common to the Apple TV, will show the AVR automatically switch to their HMDI input but sometimes then show "Input AUDIO 1." This leaves me with a picture but no sound, and nothing whatsoever is connected to Audio 1. This happens with both the OEM remote, a Harmony remote, and drives me a bit nuts. Does anyone know why this is happening?
post #43 of 528 Old 08-19-2017, 05:16 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Can I play music from Google Play music through the Music Cast app??
post #44 of 528 Old 08-21-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrabRangoon View Post
Two of my four HDMI devices, two of them (Apple TV and Nintendo Switch) are capable of sutomatically powering everything on when they are powered on/awoken from sleep. Both of these, especially common to the Apple TV, will show the AVR automatically switch to their HMDI input but sometimes then show "Input AUDIO 1." This leaves me with a picture but no sound, and nothing whatsoever is connected to Audio 1. This happens with both the OEM remote, a Harmony remote, and drives me a bit nuts. Does anyone know why this is happening?
My problem with the AVR automatically switching to Audio 1 is the same if not worse. Is my best bet to just complain to BB and exchange it for a new one? I don't really want to wait any longer than necessary. Tried posting my own thread about the issue and it just got closed and referred back to this thread again :/
post #45 of 528 Old 08-21-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Quote:
My problem with the AVR automatically switching to Audio 1 is the same if not worse. Is my best bet to just complain to BB and exchange it for a new one? I don't really want to wait any longer than necessary. Tried posting my own thread about the issue and it just got closed and referred back to this thread again :/
As noted on p. 152 of your Owner's manual (and the image below) .....

Either disable HDMI-CEC on your TV or use an optical cable from the TV instead.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	2308
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	2271060  
CrabRangoon likes this.
post #46 of 528 Old 08-22-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
As noted on p. 152 of your Owner's manual (and the image below) .....

Either disable HDMI-CEC on your TV or use an optical cable from the TV instead.
Thanks for the info - perhaps it's because my TV is so old but I do not seem to have HDMI-CEC settings in its menu. It's a Samsung and the only thing pertaining to HDMI-CEC is options to add/pair other Samsung Anynet+ devices. Oddly, the issue hasn't happened with PS3 or PS4, and only occurs with Apple TV & the Switch. We don't have anything plugged into the TV other than the AVR, so Audio should never come from the TV. I suppose if I need to, I'll just live with the issue until we upgrade to a new TV.
post #47 of 528 Old 08-22-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the info - perhaps it's because my TV is so old but I do not seem to have HDMI-CEC settings in its menu. It's a Samsung and the only thing pertaining to HDMI-CEC is options to add/pair other Samsung Anynet+ devices. Oddly, the issue hasn't happened with PS3 or PS4, and only occurs with Apple TV & the Switch. We don't have anything plugged into the TV other than the AVR, so Audio should never come from the TV. I suppose if I need to, I'll just live with the issue until we upgrade to a new TV.
HDMI-CEC = Anynet+
post #48 of 528 Old 08-23-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
DO you have your avr off, or standby on, mine is standby on.
It could even be called standby through,I forget.
There should be a little red led on to the right of the power button,which should be lit.
Mine is still working correctly.
Old Mike
My AVR is in standby mode. But I still have this problem.
It is strange that no one else is complaining about it. This is my second brand new RX-A770 unit. I exchanged the first one that had even more problems with this. But this one has intermittent problem of locking on to cable box input.
I am not sure exchanging it yet again for another unit will help. This seems like an inherent problem with this model. Not sure if this is a Yamaha issue or Comcast but my Onkyo has no problem in locking on to same cable box signal.
I am not a happy camper right now...
post #49 of 528 Old 08-23-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
It is strange that no one else is complaining about it. This is my second brand new RX-A770 unit. I exchanged the first one that had even more problems with this. But this one has intermittent problem of locking on to cable box input.
I am not sure exchanging it yet again for another unit will help. This seems like an inherent problem with this model. Not sure if this is a Yamaha issue or Comcast but my Onkyo has no problem in locking on to same cable box signal.
After one week I did get a no signal on the tv.
I have now cleaned with emery cloth the coax lead that feeds the comcast box. Again so far so good.
If it happens again will trace back all coax connections to the comcast dvr box and clean the main wire.
Spoke too soon, it did it again.
Old Mike

Last edited by mf15; 08-23-2017 at 11:28 AM.
post #50 of 528 Old 08-23-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
The issue is with your particular model of Comcast not HDMI handshaking properly with the AVR. Call Comcast to see if there are any firmware updates they can download to resolve the issue. Also try powering on the components in this order: TV, pause 5 seconds, A770, pause 5 seconds, cable box, otherwise, you have at least 3 options:

(1) Connect Comcast (HDMI) --> TV and Comcast (optical) --> A770.
(2) Change out the Comcast for a more current model
(3) Change to a different brand of AVR
post #51 of 528 Old 08-29-2017, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just purchased my RX-A770 from Crutchfield, as I always do. It replaced an Onkyo TX-NR709 who's HDMI board crapped out for the last time. I am extremely pleased with this Yamaha. I have one issue that is not the fault of the Yamaha. Occasionally while playing a movie in surround The A770 shuts itself off with a check speaker wire fault. I can find no fault in the wiring. My speakers are Front R/L a pair of totally rebuilt Polk Monitor 10B's (everything is new), the CC is a Polk CS2, Series II, R/L surround Polk RTi 3A, Klipsch RW-12II Powered Subwoofer. The nominal impedance of the Polk speakers is 6 Ohms, and I have the Yamaha configured to that impedance level. These Polk speakers are not at all hard to drive. I am going to completely rewire the whole system with KnuKonceptz Kord Ultra Flex 12 Gauge Speaker Wire, terminating the cables with locking banana plugs. I am hoping this will fix the problem.

The Onkyo played on this speaker system for almost 5 years Are the Yamaha's more sensitive? In 2.1 mode this Yamaha is the most impressive sounding receiver I have ever owned. In surround Dolby it demonstrates just how crappy that Onkyo was. I am also impressed with how it renders vintage color movies.

Any advice and observations would be appreciated.

Last edited by transmaster; 03-17-2018 at 12:58 PM.
post #52 of 528 Old 08-29-2017, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmaster View Post
Just purchased my RX-A770 from Crutchfield, as I always do. It replaced an Onkyo TX-NR709 who's HDMI boarded crapped out for the last time. I am extremely pleased with this Yamaha. I have one issue that is not the fault of the Yamaha. Occasionally while playing a movie in surround The A770 shuts itself off with a check speaker wire fault. I can find no fault in the wiring. My speakers are Front R/L a pair of totally rebuilt Polk Monitor 10B's (everything is new), the CC is a Polk CS2, Series II, R/L surround Polk RTi 3A, Klipsch RW-12II Powered Subwoofer. The nominal impedance of the Polk speakers is 6 Ohms, and I have the Yamaha configured to that impedance level. These Polk speakers are not at all hard to drive. I am going to completely rewire the whole system with KnuKonceptz Kord Ultra Flex 12 Gauge Speaker Wire, terminating the cables with Nakamichi locking banana plugs. I am hoping this will fix the problem.

The Onkyo played on this speaker system for almost 5 years Are the Yamaha's more sensitive? In 2.1 mode this Yamaha is the most impressive sounding receiver I have ever owned. In surround Dolby it demonstrates just how crappy that Onkyo was. I am also impressed with how it renders vintage color movies.

Any advice and observations would be appreciated.
Regardless of the speaker impedance, best to not change the AVR impedance from factory default as doing so simply limits the current flow as you have experienced.
Merc1973 and transmaster like this.
post #53 of 528 Old 08-30-2017, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Regardless of the speaker impedance, best to not change the AVR impedance from factory default as doing so simply limits the current flow as you have experienced.
I changed it back to 8 Ohms, I was unsure of this myself. It is too bad the fault indicator does tell you which speaker wire to check, but I suspect the left surround is the issue. I would rather have this sort of safety then the first Onkyo I had that had a PA fail and DC'ed a prized Wharfdale W35 speaker, it took me 5 years to track down the BIC 8950 bass driver for the W35.

I am going to add a dynamic impedance tester to my service bench, A Peak Electronics LCR45. The basic resistance of the speakers are all nominal 4.3 Ohms for the newer Pokies, and 4.7 Ohms for the 10B's but this is not impedence. I am a ham radio operator I refurbish tube type, and vintage solid state equipment but my instrumentation does not really cover the newest solid state electronics.
post #54 of 528 Old 09-01-2017, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Toying with the idea of getting an RX-A770. I've been using only Denon AVRs for 15+ yrs. Not sure whether I'm just looking to create problems for myself, mid-life crisis :-)

In the Denon lineup I'm looking at the S930H or X2400H. Has anyone else tried to decide between these Denon and Yamaha models? What persuaded you one way or another?

And a question for RX-A770 owners: does the GUI (e.g. volume bar indicator, AVR info) overlay on 4K video? It is an important feature to me and it seems not a lot of AVRs do it in 4K.
post #55 of 528 Old 09-01-2017, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Dracula, speaking from memory, the volume indicator only shows up whenever you change the volume. It's on the right hand corner and it only shows the volume decibel number.
Oldways7 likes this.
post #56 of 528 Old 09-01-2017, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughh View Post
Dracula, speaking from memory, the volume indicator only shows up whenever you change the volume. It's on the right hand corner and it only shows the volume decibel number.
Thank you. Yes, that's what I meant, I would not want it on screen all the time And that was the Yamaha volume indicator on screen, not the TV, correct? With CEC and ARC if you set them up you end up seeing the TV volume on the screen and you can change the AVR volume.
post #57 of 528 Old 09-01-2017, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDracula View Post
Thank you. Yes, that's what I meant, I would not want it on screen all the time And that was the Yamaha volume indicator on screen, not the TV, correct? With CEC and ARC if you set them up you end up seeing the TV volume on the screen and you can change the AVR volume.
Correct!
post #58 of 528 Old 09-01-2017, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Owners of RX-A770 - what made you pick it over Denon (assuming you even considered Denon to begin with)?
post #59 of 528 Old 09-01-2017, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Front Left and Right Speakers for A770

Hello Gurus, please advise! Can A770 be used to drive Klipsch RF82 II. If not, what about Klipsch R-26F?
I see an A770 bundled with a Klipsch RP-260F in Amazon. Can you please share your thoughts and experience?
Thanks!
post #60 of 528 Old 09-02-2017, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylad View Post
Hello Gurus, please advise! Can A770 be used to drive Klipsch RF82 II. If not, what about Klipsch R-26F?
I see an A770 bundled with a Klipsch RP-260F in Amazon. Can you please share your thoughts and experience?
Thanks!
Yes. These are very easy to drive speakers, requiring only 1W of power to reach movie reference volume.
ChromeJob likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
aventage , bluetooth , newbie , RX-A750 , rx-a770 , setup help , Yamaha

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page