The "OFFICIAL" Yamaha RX-A870 / RX-A770 / RX-A670 Aventage AVR Owners' Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 525Likes

post #61 of 528 Old 09-05-2017, 08:31 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDracula View Post
Owners of RX-A770 - what made you pick it over Denon (assuming you even considered Denon to begin with)?
I picked up RX-A870 this weekend, I prefer it over Denon X3400H mainly due to warmer sound and more pleasant trebles while listening to music. For watching the movies - the surround seems to be filling the room with sound better and I like the fact that you can control the AVR to a greater extent compared to Denon - more configuration options. I relly like the DTS movies modes available in Yamaha.
SirDracula and hand-filer like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 528 Old 09-06-2017, 06:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Yes. These are very easy to drive speakers, requiring only 1W of power to reach movie reference volume.
Thank you JDSMOOTHIE. Is there an another brand of Front Left and Right speakers that you would recommend over Klipsch RF-82 II?
post #63 of 528 Old 09-07-2017, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 701 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22009 Post(s)
Liked: 11935
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylad View Post
Thank you JDSMOOTHIE. Is there an another brand of Front Left and Right speakers that you would recommend over Klipsch RF-82 II?
Not necessarily as those are good quality speakers.
crazylad likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 528 Old 09-11-2017, 08:06 PM

Enough HDCP 2.2 compliant inputs?

Quote:
Not necessarily as those are good quality speakers.
Thank you again JDSMOOTHIE!

It looks like the A770 contains only 3 HDCP 2.2 compliant HDMI inputs. (So does A870).

Do you believe that 3 HDCP 2.2 compliant inputs are sufficient for future UHD devices? Or am I interpreting the concept of HDCP 2.2 incorrectly?
In Denon receivers (2017 lineup), all the available HDMI inputs seem to be HDCP 2.2 compliant (Ex. X2400 has 7) but are marked as assignable.
I'm not sure what "assignable" means either

Any input is appreciated.
post #65 of 528 Old 09-11-2017, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Only you know how many HDCP 2.2 devices you are going to have. Keep in mind we are moving to an online/streaming model so 1-2 devices will be all that's needed. And many times one of the devices is the (smart) TV itself. Not too long ago we used to have CD players, VCRs, DVD players, Bluray players, HTPCs all attached to the AVR so you needed to have lots of inputs, composite, component, HDMI, ... conversions between all these, etc. I only speak for myself, but I haven't turned on the Bluray player in over a year, I'm not even sure it's still functional anymore. I'm redoing my setup and I'm not even going to hook it up. I will also look to donate my CD/DVD/Bluray collection as I haven't played any in a long time from the spinning media, they are all on a NAS now. So in my case all I need is a single input, a streaming box, currently the Fire TV 4K.
post #66 of 528 Old 09-12-2017, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Only you know how many HDCP 2.2 devices you are going to have. Keep in mind we are moving to an online/streaming model so 1-2 devices will be all that's needed. And many times one of the devices is the (smart) TV itself. Not too long ago we used to have CD players, VCRs, DVD players, Bluray players, HTPCs all attached to the AVR so you needed to have lots of inputs, composite, component, HDMI, ... conversions between all these, etc. I only speak for myself, but I haven't turned on the Bluray player in over a year, I'm not even sure it's still functional anymore. I'm redoing my setup and I'm not even going to hook it up. I will also look to donate my CD/DVD/Bluray collection as I haven't played any in a long time from the spinning media, they are all on a NAS now. So in my case all I need is a single input, a streaming box, currently the Fire TV 4K.
SirDracula, thank you for your response!

You are right. It is very subjective and the list is shortening due to the streaming model. I'm trying to future-proof myself. At this time, only my Roku Ultra supports 4K. Here is what I think my list of devices may be in the next couple of years:

1. 4K Roku (Currently own)
2. UHD bluray player (future)
3. At least 1 4K Game Console (future)
4. 4K Cable TV (future)
5. 4K Apple (future)

I may not buy everything I've marked as future. But, wanted to understand what the current Yamaha receiver owners are experiencing!
post #67 of 528 Old 09-12-2017, 06:54 AM
Advanced Member

Future proofing does not work anymore. In the past I ended up buying a lot more AVR than I needed at the time and wasted money, thinking that I'd future proof for many years. Standards change quickly these days, e.g. HDMI 2.1 coming soon. I learned my lesson. Now I only buy the least AVR I need to last the next 2-3 yrs. Instead of spending $800 on a "future proof" AVR, I'd rather spend $400 now and another $400 in 3 yrs. and have a then current AVR. For example the AVRs in 2014 had 4K but did not support HDCP2.2, now it's pretty much a requirement. So those AVRs are "obsolete" for DRMed 4K content unless you buy external boxes.

From your list above, a nice game console may be able to play bluray and stream so you may not even need 1, 2, 5. That TV doesn't really count because it's not an input to the AVR.

Now, buying a nice set of speakers is a much better way to spend money, speakers are something you can use for many many years if you don't abuse them.
post #68 of 528 Old 09-17-2017, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've had my a770 for a few week now and after a few tweaks am quite satisfied with it. Today I was going thru my router assignments and noticed that the a770 is seen on my 2.4gHz band but not my 5gHz. I was under the impression that the receiver could operate on either band but I cannot find a setting to change/select which band I use.

I have set up my LG65E7 to operate over the 5gHz band in order to take advantage of the faster streaming capability and the less congested link. I am thinking (but don't know for sure) that since I run the tv thru the receiver (HDMI 2.2) I may be limiting my end-to-end streaming to the lowest link (2.4) in the chain and may be losing some benefits from my upgraded system.

If anyone can advise me (set me straight) on this idea I would appreciate it and if I am correct can someone help me to set the a770 up to run over the 5gHz link. I'm pretty sure I can find a way to force a setting from the router end but believe the receiver should be able to see the broadcast 5gHz signal and take advantage of it.

Thanks for any help
post #69 of 528 Old 09-18-2017, 04:22 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Got a new 870 and loving it!

Have a small query: the volume graphic indicator overlay appears on my tv screen when I'm watching something on my Mac mini. However there is no graphical overlay of volume when it's connected to my set top box. Only the volume indicator on the Yamaha display changes.

Any idea if any setting needs to be changed? Thanks,

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
post #70 of 528 Old 09-18-2017, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoandme View Post
I've had my a770 for a few week now and after a few tweaks am quite satisfied with it. Today I was going thru my router assignments and noticed that the a770 is seen on my 2.4gHz band but not my 5gHz. I was under the impression that the receiver could operate on either band but I cannot find a setting to change/select which band I use.

I have set up my LG65E7 to operate over the 5gHz band in order to take advantage of the faster streaming capability and the less congested link. I am thinking (but don't know for sure) that since I run the tv thru the receiver (HDMI 2.2) I may be limiting my end-to-end streaming to the lowest link (2.4) in the chain and may be losing some benefits from my upgraded system.

If anyone can advise me (set me straight) on this idea I would appreciate it and if I am correct can someone help me to set the a770 up to run over the 5gHz link. I'm pretty sure I can find a way to force a setting from the router end but believe the receiver should be able to see the broadcast 5gHz signal and take advantage of it.

Thanks for any help
Yamaha AVRs can only use the 2.4GHz band.
post #71 of 528 Old 09-18-2017, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandgiridhar View Post
Got a new 870 and loving it!

Have a small query: the volume graphic indicator overlay appears on my tv screen when I'm watching something on my Mac mini. However there is no graphical overlay of volume when it's connected to my set top box. Only the volume indicator on the Yamaha display changes.

Any idea if any setting needs to be changed? Thanks,

If both sources are connected to the AVR, then to the TV via HDMI, it should display on the TV for both sources.
anandgiridhar likes this.
post #72 of 528 Old 09-18-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
If both sources are connected to the AVR, then to the TV via HDMI, it should display on the TV for both sources.
Thanks @jdsmoothie

Both sources are connected via HDMI to the receiver and the receiver by HDMI to the TV. That's why I'm finding it strange that the volume isn't being displayed on screen.

Any thing else you think is a possibility?

post #73 of 528 Old 09-18-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Thanks @jdsmoothie

Both sources are connected via HDMI to the receiver and the receiver by HDMI to the TV. That's why I'm finding it strange that the volume isn't being displayed on screen.

Any thing else you think is a possibility?

Try other HDMI inputs.
post #74 of 528 Old 09-18-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Try other HDMI inputs.
Thanks @jdsmoothie

What I did was for the source not displaying the volume display, I changed the video option from processing to direct. This worked to display the volume. In the other source, it works either way.

post #75 of 528 Old 09-18-2017, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks @jdsmoothie

What I did was for the source not displaying the volume display, I changed the video option from processing to direct. This worked to display the volume. In the other source, it works either way.
That sounds backwards, I'd think direct means pass-thru, while processing does some video processing in the AVR allowing to overlay the GUI. Perhaps the UI got the labels reversed?
Also, isn't it the case that not all HDMI ports are equal, only some of them are 4K/HDCP2.2? That may also make a difference.
post #76 of 528 Old 09-18-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
That sounds backwards, I'd think direct means pass-thru, while processing does some video processing in the AVR allowing to overlay the GUI. Perhaps the UI got the labels reversed?
Also, isn't it the case that not all HDMI ports are equal, only some of them are 4K/HDCP2.2? That may also make a difference.
Thanks @SirDracula

On the hdcp 2.2 ports possibility, both devices are connected to 2.2 ports, so that part is eliminated.

Agree on the direct vs processing, what you say sounds logical but this is what appears to be happening.

Any idea which is better, direct or processing? Can't visually see much forever for these two HDMI sources.

post #77 of 528 Old 09-18-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Thanks @SirDracula

On the hdcp 2.2 ports possibility, both devices are connected to 2.2 ports, so that part is eliminated.

Agree on the direct vs processing, what you say sounds logical but this is what appears to be happening.

Any idea which is better, direct or processing? Can't visually see much forever for these two HDMI sources.

post #78 of 528 Old 09-18-2017, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

What I know from Denon receivers is that you must enable processing to be able to overlay the AVR GUI (volume bar, info, etc), otherwise pass-thru doesn't touch anything, it just passes the video unchanged and you won't see any AVR info on screen. It gets more complicated when you get into upscaling, where you want the video to get upscaled: at the source/player, AVR or TV. Maybe there's something going on in your case with upscaling too playing some role.
(I have no experience with Yamaha, I remained subscribed here because at some point I was considering the A770 but ended up getting another Denon instead, the X2400H).
post #79 of 528 Old 09-18-2017, 11:07 PM

That's true, @SirDracula the pass through should ideally not touch anything of the signal including any overlay. I did do some research that seemed to be corroborate your line of thinking regarding the upscaling, that the degree of processing & tracking required for upscaling makes it difficult to also add the volume overlay. So there may lie the reason.

But strangely on one source it works with both straight as well as processing.

What's your opinion of using straight vs processing modes for video?

Also, I was also considering the denon 2400, that's a good model too.

post #80 of 528 Old 09-19-2017, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Straight if you don't care to do any video processing in the AVR. At least on Denon, you can mess with things like brightness, color modes, sharpness, etc. but I'd rather change those on the TV itself, unless you have a "dumb" screen that has no or very limited adjustments. The more places you make video adjustments the worse it looks and the harder it is to keep track of what's changed where. I think if you have a 4K TV for example and you want to do any video processing in the AVR, then you should also upscale in the AVR otherwise the TV will apply it's own upscaling to a processed signal which may make it look terrible. I don't think entry level AVRs have video processors/upscalers that are better than what's in the TV already.
post #81 of 528 Old 09-19-2017, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

One use case where you may want to do video processing on the AVR: if you need different settings on a per source basis and assuming the AVR can remember the settings per source. If the AVR does the HDMI switching, there's only 1 input on the TV being used so the TV can only have the same settings for all input sources. I haven't found this to be a problem, but some sources may need major adjustments so those should take place in the AVR. But again, if you do any processing in the AVR, you probably want the upscaling to happen there too in this case. I'm not sure which order of operations will yield better results: 1st upscale then apply video changes (e.g. brightness, sharpness, etc.) or 1st apply changes and then upscale. It's tricky, it takes a lot of experimentation to see what looks good and it may not always look good on all content, you may have to compromise.
post #82 of 528 Old 09-20-2017, 01:20 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
All of my problems with the "check speaker cable" fault have been solved replaced all of the speaker cable and removed some cheap banana plugs I forgot where still in place. I have a Apple TV, Amazon Fire Stick, a Roku 3, and my PC are plugged into the HDMI ports. Per the Home Theater Geeks podcast on TWiT TV I have set things to unprocessed letting the signal from the 4 devices plugged into the HDMI ports directly. The PC has a Radeon R9 380 GPU and it does not need any help. The TV is only used as a monitor I have not plugged it's output in at all. I am very please with the A770 much, much better than the Onkyo. I finally used the YPAO system and it blew the doors off the Audyssey system on the Onkyo. It has Apple Airplay something the Onkyo did not have very nice. What is so great is the Yamaha remote App will also operate the Apple TV given how crappy the Apple TV 4's remote is that is a real plus. One of the reasons why I purchased the Yamaha over the Denon's I was looking at was the YPAO system. Yamaha was the first company to put sound fields into their receivers back in the late 1980's. Yamaha sent audio engineers around the world who took audio field recordings of various music venues which were then installed in their receivers. At the time is was a big deal. I am also a musician and I have played Yamaha instruments Their professional grade Euphoniums, Baritones and Trombones, especially their alto Trombones, are absolutely world class. A company that makes such musical instruments has my vote for the audio electronics.
Digital11 likes this.
post #83 of 528 Old 09-20-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Straight if you don't care to do any video processing in the AVR. At least on Denon, you can mess with things like brightness, color modes, sharpness, etc. but I'd rather change those on the TV itself, unless you have a "dumb" screen that has no or very limited adjustments. The more places you make video adjustments the worse it looks and the harder it is to keep track of what's changed where. I think if you have a 4K TV for example and you want to do any video processing in the AVR, then you should also upscale in the AVR otherwise the TV will apply it's own upscaling to a processed signal which may make it look terrible. I don't think entry level AVRs have video processors/upscalers that are better than what's in the TV already.
Thanks for that advice @SirDracula

Will stick with unprocessed as you say. I tried both and don't see any visible difference, if anything, as you say, direct looks better.

But it's strange isn't it, I would have expected the processing by an audio video receiver to be better or more specialized than what the TV has. Maybe its because audio video receivers are primarily focused on the quality of the audio component, vs the video part.

post #84 of 528 Old 09-20-2017, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

I'm sure there are AVRs out there with excellent video processors, better than entry level TVs put in, but you'll pay a pretty penny for them. Then again, you can find high-end and expensive TVs that have better processors inside too ... depends how much you want to pay and on which components.
post #85 of 528 Old 09-22-2017, 05:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Unhappy Yamaha RX -a750 Bluetooth connectivity problems

Hello all

I bought a Yamaha rx -a750 receiver a year ago.

At first , I was able to connect to its Bluetooth with a lot of devices such as iPhone, iPad, Samsung etc - and stream music to it .

Not. None of the devices is able to find that receiver.

I tried resetting it to factory default -no lock
Tried to turn off and back on the transmitter on the unit - no luck

Tried all actually. But still no matter what device i have , it isn't able to connect to its Bluetooth.

All other features work without issues.

What else can I do?
It is on its latest firmware's...

Maybe there is some trick to reset only the Bluetooth device?

Many thanks
post #86 of 528 Old 09-22-2017, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Dolby Vision Support

Now that Apple 4K has been released, I am reminded that support for Dolby Vision on the A770 was to be provided by firmware update.
Has anyone seen a reliable report as to when that update will arrive?
Cheers....
post #87 of 528 Old 09-23-2017, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hojo8 View Post
Now that Apple 4K has been released, I am reminded that support for Dolby Vision on the A770 was to be provided by firmware update.
Has anyone seen a reliable report as to when that update will arrive?
Cheers....
By the end of 2017.
ChromeJob likes this.
post #88 of 528 Old 09-23-2017, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 51
My gadgets continue to make a fool of me. I need help understanding how to make my new subwoofer function properly. I connected a Rythmik L12 today via RCA cable (RX-A pre-out sub 1 to LFE in) and ran YPAO. It could be heard and it calibrated it to +0.5 but when I turn the music back on there is no sub action. I tried various settings on the back of the sub and nothing changed. The only AVR menu setting that Madelaine a difference was turning on "Extra Bass" - as the subwoofer remains powered no but lacking sound at all settings and volumes without this turned on. Is there anything else I can do? I know this it's supposed to be but for now I am at a loss.
post #89 of 528 Old 09-23-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrabRangoon View Post
My gadgets continue to make a fool of me. I need help understanding how to make my new subwoofer function properly. I connected a Rythmik L12 today via RCA cable (RX-A pre-out sub 1 to LFE in) and ran YPAO. It could be heard and it calibrated it to +0.5 but when I turn the music back on there is no sub action. I tried various settings on the back of the sub and nothing changed. The only AVR menu setting that Madelaine a difference was turning on "Extra Bass" - as the subwoofer remains powered no but lacking sound at all settings and volumes without this turned on. Is there anything else I can do? I know this it's supposed to be but for now I am at a loss.
Ensure the Front L/R speakers are set to SMALL/80Hz so when there is no LFE channel being passed (eg. 2.0 music), the sub will still get the lower frequencies from the Front L/R speakers.
ChromeJob and CrabRangoon like this.
post #90 of 528 Old 09-23-2017, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Ensure the Front L/R speakers are set to SMALL/80Hz so when there is no LFE channel being passed (eg. 2.0 music), the sub will still get the lower frequencies from the Front L/R speakers.
They've always been detected as large, so this was my next course of action. Fingers crossed it does the trick

Update: of course that fixed it. Thankfully I now have bass, currently going down the rabbit hole of fine tuning it to my liking.
Digital11 likes this.

Last edited by CrabRangoon; 09-23-2017 at 01:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
aventage , bluetooth , newbie , RX-A750 , rx-a770 , setup help , Yamaha

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page