1Likes
  • 1 Post By jdsmoothie

post #1 of 7 Old 07-08-2017, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Please help I'm being obtuse

Sorry for what has probably been asked 1000 times, but it is so difficult to get just a simple answer here sometimes (although everyone here is really really helpful ).

OK--jumping into 4k but need to replace my receiver which handles all video and audio-

Simply-

I assume I need 4k pass through which requires HDMI 2.2. Is that correct?

Does this also pass through all HDR formats?

In the $500 range--what should I look for (brand recommendation would be appreciated--I have a Pioneer setup right now)

Any help would be appreciated.

Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-08-2017, 04:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 758 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22908 Post(s)
Liked: 12532
That would be HDCP 2.2 not HDMI 2.2 that would be needed, but although most 2016 models are able to pass HDR10, none are currently able to pass Dolby Vision or HLG (although many models are scheduled to get the DV+HLG firmware update later this year to include Denon and Marantz). The new 2017 Denon and Marantz models are shipping with Dolby Vision on board and the HLG update to be released later this year for them as well. For you budget, you may want to consider the 2016 Denon X2300W currently on clearance due to the newer 2017 X2400H already being released.

https://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-X23.../dp/B01E69LWWA
ChromeJob likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-08-2017, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2124 Post(s)
Liked: 1111
To clarify your buying options ... are you in the US? Are you a member at any warehouse clubs (e.g. Costco)? Are you looking for new, or would you take a 2016 model at a discount? Do you NEED Dolby Vision (does your TV support it, or will you buy a TV that supports it)?

Are there any audio considerations, e.g. do you have a 5.1, 7.1, or Atmos speakers installed, or on the shipping list?

"Exceedingly odd," said the butler.
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 07-08-2017, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
To clarify your buying options ... are you in the US? Are you a member at any warehouse clubs (e.g. Costco)? Are you looking for new, or would you take a 2016 model at a discount? Do you NEED Dolby Vision (does your TV support it, or will you buy a TV that supports it)?

Are there any audio considerations, e.g. do you have a 5.1, 7.1, or Atmos speakers installed, or on the shipping list?
Hi-

My present plan is to purchase a C& LG OLED. This supports Dolby Vision-

ATMOS is not a requirement --smallish room--5.1 is the best I can have--but it sounds great anyway

No Costco nearby but there is a Sams.

Definately in the US.

Thanks-
Larry

Last edited by phakur; 07-08-2017 at 06:38 PM. Reason: mistakes
post #5 of 7 Old 07-09-2017, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Not an expert but dolby vision is another version of HDR ( high dynamic range) but at a higher bit rate. The 2017 version of the LG OLED's can handle both HDR-10 and Dolby vision (also, possibly the 2016 versions) . Don't know of an Blu Rays that feature Dolby Vision as of yet.

good luck
post #6 of 7 Old 07-09-2017, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by phakur View Post
Sorry for what has probably been asked 1000 times, but it is so difficult to get just a simple answer here sometimes (although everyone here is really really helpful ).

OK--jumping into 4k but need to replace my receiver which handles all video and audio-

Simply-

I assume I need 4k pass through which requires HDMI 2.2. Is that correct?

Does this also pass through all HDR formats?

In the $500 range--what should I look for (brand recommendation would be appreciated--I have a Pioneer setup right now)

Any help would be appreciated.

Larry
I just replaced my old Onkyo receiver with a Onkyo TX-RZ610. It has almost every feature needed for the new 4K future.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-09-2017, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2441 Post(s)
Liked: 1742
Quote:
Originally Posted by bontrager View Post
Not an expert but dolby vision is another version of HDR ( high dynamic range) but at a higher bit rate. The 2017 version of the LG OLED's can handle both HDR-10 and Dolby vision (also, possibly the 2016 versions) . Don't know of an Blu Rays that feature Dolby Vision as of yet.

good luck
Dolby Vision supports 12 bit color vs 10 bit for HDR10, but it's not clear whether any DV material will be mastered at that. (Requires 2^6 = 64X as much data, and no current displays are deeper than 10 bits.) I doubt that DV UHD BluRays will require a higher bit rate than HDR10. DV's main virtue is dynamic metadata (varies scene by scene, or even frame by frame), which may give a better "mapping" of tones into real displays than for HDR10 (fixed metadata).

A few UHD BluRays have just come out that support DV. There's an industry standard that requires UHD BluRays to include HDR10, so there are no worries about buying a UHD disk that can't play in HDR on a monitor that doesn't do DV.

My Samsung KS800 does not, and will never, support DV, so my interest is academic at this time.

Last edited by bobknavs; 07-09-2017 at 01:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page