NAD 758 v3 - Page 121 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5724Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3601 of 8832 Old 07-25-2018, 06:22 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had set up my 5.1.2 system and so far didn`t hear any noises. My 758v3 have the new AM230 board and I am using the intenal amps. I`m newbie and still learning about Dirac, but it seems like pure magic, as someone said here before.
I wish to thanks Markus, who provided two excelent links with informations about mic level and crossover adjustments, as they were very very helpful!
The only thing that seems to be messy are the distance levels, as they are totally wrong. Is it normal or maybe I made something wrong?
pixphipau and richardsim7 like this.
msvieira is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3602 of 8832 Old 07-26-2018, 12:31 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
markus767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11,767
Mentioned: 187 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5645 Post(s)
Liked: 2667
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonoMan View Post
Because Dirac calculates its corrections on a PC. It would have to recalculate on the fly to change settings. This could be implemented but most people would not want to pay the extra money to have receiver manufacturers incorporate stronger processors to do this.
DL doesn't need to "recalculate on the fly". DL creates single speaker filters. Bass management (redirect bass, low and high pass filters, delay and levels) is separate from that.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
markus767 is offline  
post #3603 of 8832 Old 07-26-2018, 12:34 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
markus767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11,767
Mentioned: 187 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5645 Post(s)
Liked: 2667
Quote:
Originally Posted by msvieira View Post
The only thing that seems to be messy are the distance levels, as they are totally wrong. Is it normal or maybe I made something wrong?
What makes you think delay settings would be wrong? Please post values/screenshot and description of speakers with distances from main listening position.
msvieira likes this.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
markus767 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3604 of 8832 Old 07-26-2018, 04:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DonoMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,047
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post
DL doesn't need to "recalculate on the fly". DL creates single speaker filters. Bass management (redirect bass, low and high pass filters, delay and levels) is separate from that.
Edit: Fine, whatever, say what you want, but you're not looking at the whole picture.

Last edited by DonoMan; 07-26-2018 at 04:47 AM.
DonoMan is offline  
post #3605 of 8832 Old 07-26-2018, 04:36 AM
Senior Member
 
markymiles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: London, UK
Posts: 328
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Not quite sure what you are getting at. I don't see why any additional calculations would need doing after Dirac has done it's thing adjusting each speaker. You haven't changed the speakers or the room. Whether you want to tweak distances, levels etc is up to you.
markymiles is offline  
post #3606 of 8832 Old 07-26-2018, 06:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KenM10759's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Central MA USA
Posts: 5,359
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3218 Post(s)
Liked: 1752
I think what is being mentioned as missing with this NAD-Dirac thing is that with my T758 and it's original low-level Audyssey, I could go into the setup menu anytime and bump up (or down) output level of any speaker by a couple dB even after Audyssey was run. If I changed it there would be an asterisk appearing next to the setting until I set it back to what Audyssey had calculated, although that indicator did disappear after a firmware update. Typically, I might want the center speaker to run just 2dB hotter with a movie that had a lot of very quiet dialogue. It wasn't super easy such as having a single button on the remote, but once familiar with the on screen menu it was simple enough.

Can this or something like it also be done easily with the T758v3, or does one have to go to the computer and make the adjustment within Dirac? How do you toggle between the 3 different Dirac profiles that you can save?

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red, Bluesound Vault2, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Desktop: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b. Guest room: Hafler 200 L-R, KEF reference Model 100 center, KEF iQ10 surrounds, M&K V-90 sub.
KenM10759 is online now  
post #3607 of 8832 Old 07-26-2018, 06:23 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
markus767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11,767
Mentioned: 187 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5645 Post(s)
Liked: 2667
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonoMan View Post
Not sure why you decided to correct me, we're not just talking bass management but also adjusting distances and other parameters, and some of them would make the filters all but useless without recalculating stuff.
You've said that DL would need "to recalculate on the fly to change settings" when delay is changed after DL has been applied. That's not true because the room and speaker (locations) don't changed by adjusting speaker delay. What does change with delay settings though is the combined response of speakers.
Now the question is why someone would want to change delay after running DLCT. The reason for this is that you might arrive at better sub/satellite integration because DL does just single speaker optimization and doesn't look at the combined response. Having said that, DL tries to optimize phase response too, so the combined response should also get better but we've seen plenty of cases where this is not true or where adjusting distance of the sub did improve the combined magnitude response.
neo_2009 likes this.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
markus767 is offline  
post #3608 of 8832 Old 07-26-2018, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
markus767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11,767
Mentioned: 187 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5645 Post(s)
Liked: 2667
Frequently Asked Questions; Dirac Live; Change Speaker Levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
Can this or something like it also be done easily with the T758v3, or does one have to go to the computer and make the adjustment within Dirac? How do you toggle between the 3 different Dirac profiles that you can save?
Adjusting relative speaker levels using the DL target curve editor will create an imbalance between speaker and redirected bass going to the sub. So don't do it.

Your choices are:
- Harmony remote
- NAD remote HTR 8
- https://mehlau.net/T758V3/

If center speaker intelligibility is a general problem you first should check your center speaker and acoustical issues that might stem from placement/nearby objects. No offense meant but hearing loss could also be a reason.
neo_2009 likes this.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole

Last edited by markus767; 08-26-2018 at 03:05 AM.
markus767 is offline  
post #3609 of 8832 Old 07-26-2018, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KenM10759's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Central MA USA
Posts: 5,359
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3218 Post(s)
Liked: 1752
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post
Adjusting relative speaker levels using the DL target curve editor will create an imbalance between speaker and redirected bass going to the sub. So don't do it.

Your choices are:
- Harmony remote
- NAD remote HTR 8
- https://mehlau.net/T758V3/

If center speaker intelligibility is a general problem you first should check your center speaker and acoustical issues that might stem from placement/nearby objects. No offense meant but hearing loss could also be a reason.
I attribute some movies having quiet dialogue to...the movie sound track or perhaps a crappy calibration by Audyssey MultEQ.

I have a Harmony Elite.

The third option is useless to me. I own ZERO Apple products and it's staying that way.

Thanks for the info!

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red, Bluesound Vault2, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Desktop: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b. Guest room: Hafler 200 L-R, KEF reference Model 100 center, KEF iQ10 surrounds, M&K V-90 sub.
KenM10759 is online now  
post #3610 of 8832 Old 07-26-2018, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Balthazar2k4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,270
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked: 803
Am I correct in understanding that it can do Dolby Atmos, but not DTS:X at this time? I have read conflicting reports around support through a future firmware. Anyone have anything more concrete?

Sony 77A9G / Marantz SR-7012 / Martin Logan Motion 60XT, 50XT, Motion 4, Motion FX / 2 x Rythmik FV15HP / AppleTV 4K / ShieldTV
Balthazar2k4 is offline  
post #3611 of 8832 Old 07-26-2018, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member
 
golden78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: syracuse
Posts: 904
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar2k4 View Post
Am I correct in understanding that it can do Dolby Atmos, but not DTS:X at this time? I have read conflicting reports around support through a future firmware. Anyone have anything more concrete?
according to nad support a few days ago its coming sometime towards end of 2018.
Balthazar2k4 likes this.
golden78 is offline  
post #3612 of 8832 Old 07-26-2018, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Balthazar2k4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,270
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden78 View Post
according to nad support a few days ago its coming sometime towards end of 2018.
Thanks @golden78 . How trustworthy is NAD with feature promises? I have never owned an NAD component and the general rule of thumb is that one shouldn't bank on feature promises with any manufacturer.
Balthazar2k4 is offline  
post #3613 of 8832 Old 07-26-2018, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
hogues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 840
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar2k4 View Post
Thanks @golden78 . How trustworthy is NAD with feature promises? I have never owned an NAD component and the general rule of thumb is that one shouldn't bank on feature promises with any manufacturer.
I'd like to know about this as well. I was going to get the Emotiva XMC-1, but they have really turned me off and now I'm thinking about NAD. I like the ability to upgrade but I'm worried how long the modules (HDMI 2.1) will take to come out. I have to believe NAD is better at this than Emotiva, but I want tot make sure.

hogues is offline  
post #3614 of 8832 Old 07-26-2018, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
golden78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: syracuse
Posts: 904
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar2k4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden78 View Post
according to nad support a few days ago its coming sometime towards end of 2018.
Thanks @golden78 . How trustworthy is NAD with feature promises? I have never owned an NAD component and the general rule of thumb is that one shouldn't bank on feature promises with any manufacturer.
Others here can answer that better than me but I've heard they are at least really good about actually listening to customer support issues and eventually adressing them into future firmware updates . But I'm not sure how long they take to actually do what say going to or if they have history of sticking to timelines for updates though
golden78 is offline  
post #3615 of 8832 Old 07-26-2018, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KenM10759's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Central MA USA
Posts: 5,359
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3218 Post(s)
Liked: 1752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar2k4 View Post
Thanks @golden78 . How trustworthy is NAD with feature promises? I have never owned an NAD component and the general rule of thumb is that one shouldn't bank on feature promises with any manufacturer.
Good and bad.

Good is that they truly do listen to customers and when they promise a feature it would take something well beyond their control to stop that from eventually happening.

Bad is actually a conflicting thing. They had blown so many "probable" dates that people like me took to be "promise" dates, that they now have anyone interacting with end users under strict orders not to promise anything and stick to generalizations.


Overall, I'm accepting of this and they have come through for me, eventually. Will definitely buy again.
Balthazar2k4 likes this.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red, Bluesound Vault2, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Desktop: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b. Guest room: Hafler 200 L-R, KEF reference Model 100 center, KEF iQ10 surrounds, M&K V-90 sub.
KenM10759 is online now  
post #3616 of 8832 Old 07-26-2018, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Balthazar2k4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,270
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
Good and bad.

Good is that they truly do listen to customers and when they promise a feature it would take something well beyond their control to stop that from eventually happening.

Bad is actually a conflicting thing. They had blown so many "probable" dates that people like me took to be "promise" dates, that they now have anyone interacting with end users under strict orders not to promise anything and stick to generalizations.


Overall, I'm accepting of this and they have come through for me, eventually. Will definitely buy again.
Thanks @KenM10759 . I suppose that is about what I expected. While I don't have a ton of DTS:X content it does make a little cautious to move to an AVR only promising it. I will probably stick it out for a few more months on my Yamaha A3050 and see what happens.
Balthazar2k4 is offline  
post #3617 of 8832 Old 07-26-2018, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Wrager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Acworth, GA
Posts: 1,796
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 175
I moved the receiver upstairs to my family room. It is literally 6 inches from the WIFI router. When I try to scan for the unit, it can't find it. Just says none selected. I have tried unplugging the unit, factory reset, two lap tops, uninstalling and re-installing the Dirac software. I even tried connecting using my ethernet adapter. Am I missing anything? Even with the DSP off and speakers connected to the NAD internal amps, it doesn't pass any sound. The video pass thru works.
Wrager is offline  
post #3618 of 8832 Old 07-26-2018, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
richardsim7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,991
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked: 1638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrager View Post
I moved the receiver upstairs to my family room. It is literally 6 inches from the WIFI router. When I try to scan for the unit, it can't find it. Just says none selected. I have tried unplugging the unit, factory reset, two lap tops, uninstalling and re-installing the Dirac software. I even tried connecting using my ethernet adapter. Am I missing anything? Even with the DSP off and speakers connected to the NAD internal amps, it doesn't pass any sound. The video pass thru works.
Tried asking NAD support? Sounds broken
richardsim7 is online now  
post #3619 of 8832 Old 07-26-2018, 04:28 PM
Senior Member
 
ttn333's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 359
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Picked up the 758v3 Monday. Looks like they are shipping with the new card installed. Finally had a chance to get everything connected last night. Now my Xbox 1x Netflix app doesn't run and there's a low hum coming from the sub when the A/C kicks in. Joy! I know it's not the NAD. But still. Maybe I should have left well enough alone. Ok, I wasn't happy with the Denon, it had problems eq-ing my subs and jtr. I had to place a 12db attenuator on the JTR speakers and sub for multeq xt32 to work (it would attenuate the JTR by -12 db, which is the max). And it didn't sound quite right. The 12 db attenuator probably masked the hum. With Netflix and xbox, who knows. Now I have to use Netflix with the Pan ub900.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrager View Post
I moved the receiver upstairs to my family room. It is literally 6 inches from the WIFI router. When I try to scan for the unit, it can't find it. Just says none selected. I have tried unplugging the unit, factory reset, two lap tops, uninstalling and re-installing the Dirac software. I even tried connecting using my ethernet adapter. Am I missing anything? Even with the DSP off and speakers connected to the NAD internal amps, it doesn't pass any sound. The video pass thru works.
Wish me luck tonight. Will try running Dirac for the first time.
richardsim7 likes this.

NAD T758v3, Emotiva XPA-3, XPA-5, UPA-5, JTR Triple 12 LP L/C/R, Htm-6 surrounds, Volt 6 atmos, SVS PC13 Ultra and JTR Cap 2400 ULF - Denon x2400h, Elac Debut F5, Elac Debut C5, Elac Debut A4, Klipsch r-12swi - Stereo Totem Mite
ttn333 is offline  
post #3620 of 8832 Old 07-26-2018, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Wrager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Acworth, GA
Posts: 1,796
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardsim7 View Post
Tried asking NAD support? Sounds broken
Yes, I'm waiting for a response. I did notice that I have the older AM230 board,
Wrager is offline  
post #3621 of 8832 Old 07-26-2018, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member
 
golden78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: syracuse
Posts: 904
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrager View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardsim7 View Post
Tried asking NAD support? Sounds broken
Yes, I'm waiting for a response. I did notice that I have the older AM230 board,
How tell old from new am230 board
golden78 is offline  
post #3622 of 8832 Old 07-26-2018, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
markg35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 827
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 263
There are pictures a few pages back.
markg35 is offline  
post #3623 of 8832 Old 07-26-2018, 05:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
richardsim7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,991
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked: 1638
We really need some sort of FAQ/sticky for these questions...
richardsim7 is online now  
post #3624 of 8832 Old 07-26-2018, 06:28 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post
What makes you think delay settings would be wrong? Please post values/screenshot and description of speakers with distances from main listening position.
Thanks for your time Markus.

I will upload some speaker settings photos. As you can see the level distances between Dirac`s measurement and the real one didn`t match. I cannot tell that these differences are hindering the final result, because it seems to be absolutely fine for me. Any help or tip are welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180726_213012552_LL.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	796.9 KB
ID:	2433472   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180726_213109869_LL.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	785.8 KB
ID:	2433476  
msvieira is offline  
post #3625 of 8832 Old 07-26-2018, 09:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
nathan_h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 9,326
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2724 Post(s)
Liked: 1956
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardsim7 View Post
We really need some sort of FAQ/sticky for these questions...
Any one of us could create one if we wanted to.
richardsim7 likes this.
nathan_h is offline  
post #3626 of 8832 Old 07-26-2018, 10:32 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Tallinn
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrager View Post
I moved the receiver upstairs to my family room. It is literally 6 inches from the WIFI router. When I try to scan for the unit, it can't find it. Just says none selected. I have tried unplugging the unit, factory reset, two lap tops, uninstalling and re-installing the Dirac software. I even tried connecting using my ethernet adapter. Am I missing anything?
Did you followed initial wireless setup under BluOS setup in manual?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrager View Post
Even with the DSP off and speakers connected to the NAD internal amps, it doesn't pass any sound. The video pass thru works.
Check you Source Setup for that input!
People often jump over the AVR initial setup!
richardsim7 likes this.
Jeeriko is online now  
post #3627 of 8832 Old 07-26-2018, 11:33 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
markus767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11,767
Mentioned: 187 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5645 Post(s)
Liked: 2667
Frequently Asked Questions; Dirac Live; Speaker Distances

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvieira View Post
Thanks for your time Markus.

I will upload some speaker settings photos. As you can see the level distances between Dirac`s measurement and the real one didn`t match. I cannot tell that these differences are hindering the final result, because it seems to be absolutely fine for me. Any help or tip are welcome.

Thanks in advance.
I don't see any issues. The DL values are probably more exact. It's not important that you use the actual distances from speaker to main listening position but the relative acoustical delays between speakers. DL does that better than any tape measure. The sub electronics often introduce additional delay so a tape measure would result in wrong distance settings.
neo_2009 and msvieira like this.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole

Last edited by markus767; 08-26-2018 at 03:07 AM.
markus767 is offline  
post #3628 of 8832 Old 07-26-2018, 11:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
markus767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11,767
Mentioned: 187 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5645 Post(s)
Liked: 2667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrager View Post
I moved the receiver upstairs to my family room. It is literally 6 inches from the WIFI router. When I try to scan for the unit, it can't find it. Just says none selected. I have tried unplugging the unit, factory reset, two lap tops, uninstalling and re-installing the Dirac software. I even tried connecting using my ethernet adapter. Am I missing anything?
Sounds like the unit or your network isn't configured correctly. Can you successfully ping the AVR's IP address?
richardsim7 likes this.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
markus767 is offline  
post #3629 of 8832 Old 07-27-2018, 05:02 AM
Senior Member
 
Stephen1254's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Three Dirac Questions

I'm replacing a center channel speaker and will run Dirac again. I ran into an issue with the last Dirac run that I'm hoping to avoid this time around. Even though my speaker pairs are placed in the exact same positions relative to the side walls and back walls of my room, the Dirac measurement set the levels on the left side of the room about 2 DB louder than the right side of the room. This skews things substantially; a stereo recording sounds like it is coming primarily from the left speaker. Disengaging Dirac returns the stereo image to the center of the room. The room itself is a symmetrical design, with identical walls and coverings on both sides.

I suspect the issue arose because for the last of the nine measurement sweeps, one to the left of the MLP, the sweep returned an error with too much clipping. I reduced output levels slightly, and re-ran the sweep successfully for that position only. My overall results are skewed. So my questions:

1. When you get an error from one of the sweeps - mine have been too much clipping, is it necessary to start all of the measurements over again?

2. I understand that in setting the input and output volumes, to get to the -12 DB level for each channel, you first adjust the input volume, then the output volume, then the channel volume, the latter only if necessary. Adjusting the output volume raises the volume of the tone sent out during the measurement. Raising the volume setting on the receiver - by turning the volume knob up - does the same thing. Is it better to start with the volume on the receiver at a higher level, so that you move the slider for output volume less to the right to achieve the -12 DB point for each channel level?

3. Is there any recommended starting volume on the receiver that should be set before you set the input and output levels in the Dirac program? Recognizing that amplifier gain levels and speaker efficiency varies, is there a DB level I can set with my SPL meter as a starting point?
Stephen1254 is offline  
post #3630 of 8832 Old 07-27-2018, 05:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Wrager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Acworth, GA
Posts: 1,796
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post
Sounds like the unit or your network isn't configured correctly. Can you successfully ping the AVR's IP address?
When it was in the theater I was able to connect, update and take measurements. All I did was pick it up and move it upstairs. Nothing else is different. I will try to ping it today.
Wrager is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off