post #7351 of 10018 Old 02-08-2019, 04:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKK101 View Post
Update for the Hum / Buzz noise from the T777v3

NAD Canada has a Solution for the Buzz / Humm Noise. Now i can send my NAD to Repair it. They have found the problem on the Mainboard.
Hello. Do any progress?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7352 of 10018 Old 02-08-2019, 06:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1414 Post(s)
Liked: 1852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirosamsung View Post
Ok, so if I’m understanding you correctly then the main benifit of Markus app is that once I do Dirac calibration, it lets me change different speaker levels after the fact whereas without it The NAD doesn’t?

Why do you say he’s not coming back? Is there any worry that if he isn’t active in this thread any longer then the app may stop being updated and maybe rendered useless?

To clarify, the volume adjustments are temporary, and will reset after a power cycle. This is the same functionality the physical remote for the T777v3 provides, see the buttons at the bottom here:

markus continues to maintain the app, so I wouldn't worry about that
post #7353 of 10018 Old 02-08-2019, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Opinions on NAD House Curve?

I'm eagerly awaiting my new (to me) NAD 758 V3. It will be my first go around with Dirac. I've read up on using Dirac, but now would like some opinions on which curve to apply. I see that NAD has developed their own Dirac House Curve. Do people like that curve? Other curves I should be considering?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7354 of 10018 Old 02-08-2019, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1414 Post(s)
Liked: 1852
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopheraswee View Post
I'm eagerly awaiting my new (to me) NAD 758 V3. It will be my first go around with Dirac. I've read up on using Dirac, but now would like some opinions on which curve to apply. I see that NAD has developed their own Dirac House Curve. Do people like that curve? Other curves I should be considering?

Start with the default curve, see how you like it for a bit, and go from there

There's some harman curves available here: https://mehlau.net/audio/dirac-live-2/
Paopawdecarabao likes this.
post #7355 of 10018 Old 02-08-2019, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
While it's not an overlay On-Screen Display, it's there and can be used. It does take over the whole screen, but I find it easier to read and navigate without having moving pictures behind the graphics. After all, if I'm using the OSD it's because I want to adjust some settings or calibrate the whole thing and I'm not going to do that while watching a movie or some interesting program.

The app that Markus created is IOS only, no love for the Android users.
What I'm after is completely different than a setup menu, not sure what's being missed. When I can't see the display of the receiver from the MLP, it's nearly vital to have visual response on the display to go along with certain commands (OSD Overlay). Especially since the surround mode is a single button toggle on this receiver, and visual response to go along with volume up/down commands is also important to know where you're at. Nothing against the sound of this receiver, I just hadn't realized this particular design compromise before purchasing.

Main System: Vizio P70 4K TV. Selah Vigore Speakers. KEF Q100 Rear L/R, Mirage BPS 400 LFE Sub. (2x)Rythmik FM8 Subs. Denon AVR-X4500H Receiver. Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Integrated (2 channel). Oppo BDP-103. Zappiti Mini 4K HDR. GIK 242 Panels, Tri Traps, Monster Bass Trap. Various Vicoustic Desktop: Dynaudio BM6A mkII. Paradigm SUB10 w/ PBK. Cambridge DACMagic+ DAC. GIK 242 Panels, Monster Bass Trap Master Bedroom: Vizio M55 4K HDR. BG Radia In-Wall/Ceiling Speakers (5.2.2). NAD T758v3 Receiver
post #7356 of 10018 Old 02-08-2019, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked: 1931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick V View Post
What I'm after is completely different than a setup menu, not sure what's being missed. When I can't see the display of the receiver from the MLP, it's nearly vital to have visual response on the display to go along with certain commands (OSD Overlay). Especially since the surround mode is a single button toggle on this receiver, and visual response to go along with volume up/down commands is also important to know where you're at. Nothing against the sound of this receiver, I just hadn't realized this particular design compromise before purchasing.
Now I understand what it is that you need. Thanks for explaining.

Does the IOS app that Markus created show the info you need, and if so would it be worth getting an iPad to use it?

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Office: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red. Guest room: Hafler 300 L-R, KEF Reference Model 100 center, KEF iQ10 surrounds, modded M&K V-90 sub, Bluesound Vault 2.
post #7357 of 10018 Old 02-08-2019, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardsim7 View Post
Start with the default curve, see how you like it for a bit, and go from there

There's some harman curves available here: https://mehlau.net/audio/dirac-live-2/
Thanks for this! I'll have to try this if it makes a difference in bass. Having tried the default and Nad's curve for speakers except on subs. The bass is little less compared when I had my XT32.
post #7358 of 10018 Old 02-08-2019, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhattan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirosamsung View Post
Ok, so if I’m understanding you correctly then the main benifit of Markus app is that once I do Dirac calibration, it lets me change different speaker levels after the fact whereas without it The NAD doesn’t?

Why do you say he’s not coming back? Is there any worry that if he isn’t active in this thread any longer then the app may stop being updated and maybe rendered useless?

Yes, that’s the main benefit.

And no, he being banned from Forum doesn’t mean the app won’t be updated. Get the app, the man did a fine job with it. And he was vital at solving initial issues, and answering all kinds of inquiries, he deserves some support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cool-I’ll look into it for sure. Since I will have SVS subs with app control I wouldn’t need his app to control the sub levels post Dirac but maybe other stuff would be ok..?

Sony 75Z9D, Samsung 65JS9500
Monitor Audio Gold 200(2), Gold 350, Gold 50(2), Gold CT280-IDC(4). SVS PC4000(2).
NAD 758, Anthem MCA-5
Apple TV 4K, Nvidea Shield. Mac Mini (2018). Samsung UHD BluRay and X-Box One X. 14 Sonos
post #7359 of 10018 Old 02-08-2019, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paopawdecarabao View Post
Quote:
Yes, that’s the main benefit.

And no, he being banned from Forum doesn’t mean the app won’t be updated. Get the app, the man did a fine job with it. And he was vital at solving initial issues, and answering all kinds of inquiries, he deserves some support.

Why was he banned?

Anyone know if he is on other forums? AVS or otherwise? I’m sure he’s helping someone...

Sony 75Z9D, Samsung 65JS9500
Monitor Audio Gold 200(2), Gold 350, Gold 50(2), Gold CT280-IDC(4). SVS PC4000(2).
NAD 758, Anthem MCA-5
Apple TV 4K, Nvidea Shield. Mac Mini (2018). Samsung UHD BluRay and X-Box One X. 14 Sonos
post #7360 of 10018 Old 02-08-2019, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Quote:
I don’t know. And I don’t know for how long either, he’s been gone since last October.

Damn! That's quite a long ban.

What did he do!Put a hit out on someone?
post #7361 of 10018 Old 02-08-2019, 06:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I'm going to bite the bullet and give up my new toy for a while to get a new Atmos card since the scratchy hiss I'm getting in one of the Atmos channels is not going away absent a repair. I recall at one time there were lengthy delays in getting repairs done because of a shortage replacement cards. Does anyone know if that has resolved? The repair facilities don't keep any NAD parts in stock and must order them from NAD after diagnosing the problem. I know what the problem is and how to fix it, but that is apparently not going to expedite the repair process.

NAD's website lists 3 repair facilities in the Chicago area that can do the repair, but none are open on Saturday and I'd prefer not to take a day off work just to drive it up (2.5 hours or so each way). I can ship it to the repair facility and I guess I will have to eat the shipping cost. Since this is a warranty repair, will NAD pay for the return shipping?

MIKE

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.
--H. L. Mencken
post #7362 of 10018 Old 02-08-2019, 07:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mraub View Post
I'm going to bite the bullet and give up my new toy for a while to get a new Atmos card since the scratchy hiss I'm getting in one of the Atmos channels is not going away absent a repair. I recall at one time there were lengthy delays in getting repairs done because of a shortage replacement cards. Does anyone know if that has resolved? The repair facilities don't keep any NAD parts in stock and must order them from NAD after diagnosing the problem. I know what the problem is and how to fix it, but that is apparently not going to expedite the repair process.

NAD's website lists 3 repair facilities in the Chicago area that can do the repair, but none are open on Saturday and I'd prefer not to take a day off work just to drive it up (2.5 hours or so each way). I can ship it to the repair facility and I guess I will have to eat the shipping cost. Since this is a warranty repair, will NAD pay for the return shipping?
I had to send a Bluesound Vault in for warranty repair and it went directly to a Lenbrook Group office in upstate New York, apparently the US importer. I paid to get it to them, they shipped it back. Presumably, NAD would do the same.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Office: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red. Guest room: Hafler 300 L-R, KEF Reference Model 100 center, KEF iQ10 surrounds, modded M&K V-90 sub, Bluesound Vault 2.
post #7363 of 10018 Old 02-09-2019, 01:48 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 22
EARS listening mode doesn't work

When I set PCM stereo listening mode to "EARS", I don't hear any sound from the surround or rear speakers. The receiver display reads "PCM Stereo".

LG C8 | Genelec 8341A | KEF LS50 | SVS SB-2000 | miniDSP SHD | NAD 758 V3 | GIK Acoustics
post #7364 of 10018 Old 02-09-2019, 04:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyderp View Post
When I set PCM stereo listening mode to "EARS", I don't hear any sound from the surround or rear speakers. The receiver display reads "PCM Stereo".
It won't send any signal to rear or surround speakers because EARS is a proprietary stereo only mode.

post #7365 of 10018 Old 02-09-2019, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyderp View Post
Ears does not use the rear speakers but should use surrounds. Do you hear sound from the center speaker?
post #7366 of 10018 Old 02-09-2019, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoteus Strågefors View Post
Queastion
What is the best way to integrate dual or triple subwoofers with the NAD? Is there a good way or will you just get subpar results? I have one Marantz SR7012 and one NAD T758. Which of these should I use for my HT with dual or triple subs for best results? Will Audyssey do a better job with more then one sub or can the NAD/Dirac pull it off?
This was a big concern of mine as well, so let me assuage your fears; I'm speaking from experience - connecting two subs via splitter to the 758 vs connecting them as independent subs to a MultiEX XT32 equipped Denon. The 758 does a better job of correcting the FR and integrating with mains. For anything more than two subs, or if the subs are not equidistant from MLP, I would start to consider a minidsp + multi sub optimizer between the sub out and the subs. But for my setup, in which stereo subs are pedestals for front L/R speakers, Dirac did a great job.

I have also tried setting the Front L/R to full range and disabling sub on the 758 (7.0.4), then using an outboard active crossover to cross my front L/R and subs. This way, Dirac is correcting each sub independently (as part of each front L/R channel). This worked quite well too, aside from an annoying bug that will hopefully be fixed. I didn't listen to this setup long enough to decide which I preferred, but I can assure you that Dirac correction is in every way superior to the results I got with Auddysey XT32 MultEQ, and the improvement is not subtle.
kbarnes701 and richardsim7 like this.
post #7367 of 10018 Old 02-09-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post
Anyone else using this in a strictly two channel setup?

I am having a hard time finding something for two channel that makes more sense than the T758 v3. 110wpc from a good A/B amp. Bass management. BluOS, Dirac....

Change my mind. Please
I think the 758 is an amazing all in one for 2 channel.

That said, I think a strong case could be made that a sizeable step up would be something like

https://www.minidsp.com/products/str...ies/shd-series
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...streamer.4286/

Plus enough ncore, icepower or other quality amps of choice to drive your speakers, would be a nice step up. I think that would be my dream (within reach) 2-channel setup.
richardsim7 likes this.
post #7368 of 10018 Old 02-09-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopheraswee View Post
Personally I have used the NAD RoomfeelEQ Curve on all channels with very good results. It is not too far off the harman curve and the B&K curves, I would start with one of these 3 curves and tweak to your preference.
richardsim7 likes this.
post #7369 of 10018 Old 02-09-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:

I am in Canada so YMMV. NAD instructed me to return my unit to my 'dealer' and collect a replacement when ready. I dropped it off a week ago, and today my replacement unit is here. Obviously I'm not thrilled to be without a receiver for a week, or to have to drive to my dealer (out of town) twice to do this, but NAD support has been as good as they could be given the circumstances, and they did give me a brand new unit, not just a new am230 card. I've yet to hook it up, so fingers crossed

One thing I would recommend to anyone dealing with NAD support - call instead of using their ticketing. It can be frustrating waiting for them to get back to you online, and going through the entire troubleshooting script they have to use with 2-3 day lags between replies. But I got a call from Bob @ NAD and I can tell you the folks doing their support know their stuff and are very eager to help. Having worked in the support field before, I would say NADs first line support is what I would consider a tier 2 or 3 support at a larger company. This is not always immediately apparent when working through the ticketing system, because of what is considered 'best practice' in the tech support field.
post #7370 of 10018 Old 02-09-2019, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 1707 Post(s)
Liked: 1704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakub Hyzyk View Post
I think the 758 is an amazing all in one for 2 channel.

That said, I think a strong case could be made that a sizeable step up would be something like

https://www.minidsp.com/products/str...ies/shd-series
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...streamer.4286/

Plus enough ncore, icepower or other quality amps of choice to drive your speakers, would be a nice step up. I think that would be my dream (within reach) 2-channel setup.
I actually decided to get the new NAD M10 for my 2 channel setup

https://www.musicdirect.com/integrat...YaAkbMEALw_wcB
pixphipau likes this.

--------------------------------------------------
FOR SALE:
Lots of stuff. Check the Audio Gear Classifieds
post #7371 of 10018 Old 02-09-2019, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I actually decided to get the new NAD M10 for my 2 channel setup [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

Me too. I'm going to visit my dealer tomorrow and will likely come home with it. They have two; one for demonstrating, the other for me.
brian6751 likes this.

post #7372 of 10018 Old 02-09-2019, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike911 View Post

Ears does not use the rear speakers but should use surrounds. Do you hear sound from the center speaker?
How do you get even the surrounds to work? The NAD T758v3's "Enhanced Stereo" mode is capable of being configured to use the center and surrounds, but I cannot find any way to do that with the EARS mode.

post #7373 of 10018 Old 02-09-2019, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Quote:

How do you get even the surrounds to work? The NAD T758v3's "Enhanced Stereo" mode is capable of being configured to use the center and surrounds, but I cannot find any way to do that with the EARS mode.
I haven't really used it much to be sure but per the user manual, you should be getting output from the center, and surround speakers, in addition to the front stereo pair. I guess it works like Dolby prologic II in music mode.

EARS
Two-channel recordings, whether stereo or surround-encoded, are
reproduced with proprietary NAD surround processing with signal output
to the front left/right, center and discrete left/right surround channels,
plus subwoofer (assuming these are present in the current “Speaker
Configuration”). EARS does not employ the surround back speakers (if any).
EARS extracts the natural ambience present in nearly all well-produced
stereo recordings. It does not synthesize any ambience or other sonic
elements and thus remains truer to the sound of the original musical
performance than most other music-surround options.
Select EARS for listening to stereo music recordings and broadcasts.
EARS produces a subtle but highly natural and believable ambience from
nearly all “natural-acoustic” stereo recordings. Typically, these include
classical, jazz, and folk genres as well as numerous examples from others.
Its virtues include realistic, stable “front-stage” sonic imaging and spacious
but unexaggerated ambient “virtual acoustics” that remain faithful to the
original recording.
post #7374 of 10018 Old 02-09-2019, 02:00 PM
d_c
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 247 Post(s)
Quoted: 1180 Post(s)
Liked: 1614
Quote:

I’m running my pj directly from my Oppo, and sound from the rca plugs on the Oppo directly to a 2ch amp so I can still enjoy the theater while the NAD is being repaired. The struggle is real!
post #7375 of 10018 Old 02-09-2019, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1715
Quote:
I actually decided to get the new NAD M10 for my 2 channel setup

Call me a skeptic, but what does this do that I can't do with a:

T758 V3
Chromecast
and my Android phone, for $1,000 less?
brian6751 and neo_2009 like this.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Polk LSiM 702 F/X (2) | Infinity RS152 (4) | Subs TBD (2)
PC: Micca OriGen G2 | Mackie MR624 (2)
post #7376 of 10018 Old 02-09-2019, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post

T758 V3
Chromecast
Less distortion, shows album artwork without a TV, less than half the size, higher reserve power, and looks cooler. ESS Sabre DAC for direct DSD play. Probably more.

I have a T758v3 and don't have any use or room for a second one in my office where I'll be using an M10 (or similar Naim) for my 2.1 channel system.

What do you do with a Chromecast and Android phone that I can't do with the T758v3's BluOS mode and my Android tablet?
brian6751 and CrabRangoon like this.

post #7377 of 10018 Old 02-09-2019, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post

T758 V3

Chromecast

I went back and forth on this myself.

They have similar traits but they are obviously targeting different segments. The 758 is a AVR targeted at home theater/multi use setups. The M10 is a slick little box with a big touchscreen for a front panel targeted at posh two channel setups.

Honestly though, this little box drives my R300’s better than any other amp I’ve tried. It’s pretty incredible especially for how small it is.

I am in the camp that believes amplifiers don’t sound different as long as they are kept within their limits so the only explanation is that the M10’s limits are harder to reach.

I do believe DACs can sound different because of different filters used so that may have something to do with it to. I honestly like the the sound of the Node 2i running through the T758 better than the T758’s DAC while using BluOS. The M10 uses a better DAC than the Node 2i.

Is it worth $1000k more? To me it is. It does everything the T758 can do (with two channels anyway)a little bit better and it does it in a tiny beautiful box that makes more sense in a two channel setup. Plus I can move the T758 to the theater

YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
KenM10759 likes this.

FOR SALE:
post #7378 of 10018 Old 02-09-2019, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I haven't really used it much to be sure but per the user manual, you should be getting output from the center, and surround speakers, in addition to the front stereo pair. I guess it works like Dolby prologic II in music mode.

EARS
Two-channel recordings, whether stereo or surround-encoded, are
reproduced with proprietary NAD surround processing with signal output
to the front left/right, center and discrete left/right surround channels,
plus subwoofer (assuming these are present in the current “Speaker
Configuration”). EARS does not employ the surround back speakers (if any).
EARS extracts the natural ambience present in nearly all well-produced
stereo recordings. It does not synthesize any ambience or other sonic
elements and thus remains truer to the sound of the original musical
performance than most other music-surround options.
Select EARS for listening to stereo music recordings and broadcasts.
EARS produces a subtle but highly natural and believable ambience from
nearly all “natural-acoustic” stereo recordings. Typically, these include
classical, jazz, and folk genres as well as numerous examples from others.
Its virtues include realistic, stable “front-stage” sonic imaging and spacious
but unexaggerated ambient “virtual acoustics” that remain faithful to the
original recording.
If it does do that with 2-channel sources, it's kind of weird. If I'm getting any signal sent to my surrounds or center, it's very subtle. If I want to take a 2-channel source to multi-channel, I use Enhanced Stereo or NEO:6 Music modes. The latter sounds pretty good, depending upon the music itself.

post #7379 of 10018 Old 02-09-2019, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
It won't send any signal to rear or surround speakers because EARS is a proprietary stereo only mode.
It's supposed to send signal to both center and surround speakers. I was able to hear sound from surround speakers after enabling center channel. Probably a bug.

LG C8 | Genelec 8341A | KEF LS50 | SVS SB-2000 | miniDSP SHD | NAD 758 V3 | GIK Acoustics
post #7380 of 10018 Old 02-09-2019, 07:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Me too. I'm going to visit my dealer tomorrow and will likely come home with it. They have two; one for demonstrating, the other for me.
For your office? NICE!!

I am betting it comes home with you tomorrow!!

FOR SALE:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page