5705Likes

post #8071 of 8793 Old 04-05-2019, 05:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
Audyssey is generally brighter than the Room Feel curve, which I feel rolls of the highs too much - but keep in mind that is a NAD-designed curve and not necessarily a part of "Dirac", of which the point is to make your own curve that best suits your system. You can start with that and see what you think, but if you're picky, you will probably change it.
Perfect, thanks for the insight. I appreciate it.

OLED65B7P/ OPPO UDP-203/ DENON X4300H/ Klipsch RP 440c/ Klipsch RP 250f/ Klipsch RP 240s x4/ Klipsch RP 140sa/ Dual SVS PB-1000/ SVS SoundPath Isolation System/ Auralex Mopad riser for center channel/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8072 of 8793 Old 04-05-2019, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
How do you tackle bass modes (causing + and -) when you listen to music with the mains as large? If you have subs why not benefit from them?

For music, where I am not hyper focused on having a perfect soundstage spanning five different speakers, I simply use the high level controls on the REL to give me music the way I think it should sound. No measurements involved. And the sound is wonderful. I tried multiple other subs, including Martin Logans that also allow high-level connections. Despite configuring them the same way, including how using room correction the same way, the reality is that I couldn’t replicate the feel that the RELL gave me. Whatever REL does, they do a great job of enabling their subs to meld with your speakers. With every other sub it felt like I had strong articulate accurate bass along the floor with the image of the instruments up in the air separated. With the RELLs, everything is up in the air together. A stand up bass sounds like a powerful stand up bass, not a weaker stand up bass, with low notes coming from somewhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8073 of 8793 Old 04-05-2019, 10:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by loganross View Post
Correct. NAD presets tied to each input let this happen automatically (setup once and forget it). For Apple to, Blu-ray, and video games, they are set to small. For BluOS (I use for critical music via Roon), I use large. For other streaming services and background music it doesn’t matter to me so they just run through Apple TV.

so u keep adjusting the crossover dial on the Rel subwoofer? or you just leave it where it is on the subwoofer when you use the speaker config which is set to Small.

cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8074 of 8793 Old 04-06-2019, 06:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick V View Post
I appear to have the same issue that I've seen mentioned a few times in this thread:

My 758v3 receiver doesn't seem to broadcast the hot spot that it's supposed to for network setup.

I formatted a USB thumb drive to fat32 and loaded the firmware file from the NAD website. The reciver ends up in "Error 1" when I try to update the firmware.

I've gathered the only fix is to hard-wire via Ethernet and do the update from there. Is that correct?
I was able to temporarily hard wire my 758v3 to my wireless mesh router and it suceesfully downloaded the updates!! My 758 is now connected to wifi and Roon is sounding fantastic (no more Roon through Chromecast Audio for this guy!) I havne't had a chance to run Dirac Live yet, but I've had extensive experience with Dirac Live with my former miniDSP DDRC-22D that I used in my 2 channel system, so I know what to expect. Interestingly I just hooked up my new Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 in my 2 channel system so I'm intereseted to compare Lyngdorf's Room Perfect with Dirac Live (anecdotally at least).

Now that the NAD is updated and working on the network, there appears to be another problem. When I set the receiver in the control menu to standby for BluOS/etc.. (which I need for the receiver to automatically power on for Roon) all of the sudden ARC with the TV no longer works for some reason. Is there really no way to have a working ARC connection and auto-on for Roon?

Main System: Vizio P70 4K TV. Selah Vigore Speakers. KEF Q100 Rear L/R, Mirage BPS 400 LFE Sub. (2x)Rythmik FM8 Subs. Denon AVR-X4500H Receiver. Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Integrated (2 channel). Oppo BDP-103. Zappiti Mini 4K HDR. GIK 242 Panels, Tri Traps, Monster Bass Trap. Various Vicoustic Desktop: Dynaudio BM6A mkII. Paradigm SUB10 w/ PBK. Cambridge DACMagic+ DAC. GIK 242 Panels, Monster Bass Trap Master Bedroom: Vizio M55 4K HDR. BG Radia In-Wall/Ceiling Speakers (5.2.2). NAD T758v3 Receiver
post #8075 of 8793 Old 04-06-2019, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackspider View Post
so u keep adjusting the crossover dial on the Rel subwoofer? or you just leave it where it is on the subwoofer when you use the speaker config which is set to Small.

cheers.
REL has independent controls for .1 and high level inputs, so nothing to readjust .
post #8076 of 8793 Old 04-06-2019, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I purchased one of these about 2 weeks ago.

I had to return the first due to the wifi not broadcasting the hotspot, a piece loose inside the remote, and the subwoofer RCA connector came off in my hand when I was disconnecting the unit to return it. There was also issues in the center channel, but I attribute most of this to likely the faulty ground on the subwoofer RCA.

For the second unit, I'm having issues with the NAD being seen by the BlueSound applications. The applications, on the same network, same 2.4gHz SSID, and within 20 feet of both the NAD and the WAP, report the NAD cannot be found. This is for 3 separate iOS devices. One of them, brand new purchased just to be this unit's controller!

Oddly, I can see the device's web interface via my hardwired computer and I can use the "wifi reset" function. Frequently, this will allow the device to resume operation. But, if I stop using it for a while and switch to an HDMI device, or stop using the NAD completely, the BlueSound applications will again fail to see the device. This seems to be the only means to bring the device's application back online. Rebooting the device from the remote, pulling AC power, and reseating the USB dongles does nothing. But, even the WIFI reset does not consistently function.

NAD and my distributor are working on solutions, but none have been found. I'm considering a new USB hub or a USB to ethernet connector, but I'm reluctant to spend more $ on parts to troubleshoot something.

The times I have had the unit properly working have been a joy. But, currently, my dear wife keeps pointing out that her $50 JBL portable bluetooth speaker is better since it works consistently. (Heck, her listening to bass going thunk thunk on that JBL 2 inch "woofer" is what motivated me to purchase this new amp!)
post #8077 of 8793 Old 04-06-2019, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1127
^ Do you have an Android or other device to test with? And do you require BluOS?

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)
post #8078 of 8793 Old 04-06-2019, 06:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1269 Post(s)
Liked: 1636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick V View Post
Now that the NAD is updated and working on the network, there appears to be another problem. When I set the receiver in the control menu to standby for BluOS/etc.. (which I need for the receiver to automatically power on for Roon) all of the sudden ARC with the TV no longer works for some reason. Is there really no way to have a working ARC connection and auto-on for Roon?

That is an unfortunate choice you have to make, as to fix ARC you need to disable that function

My theory is that when that function is enabled, the AVR never truly powers off (pretty sure it consumes the same amount of power as when it's on!) so ARC/CEC doesn't get reset properly
post #8079 of 8793 Old 04-07-2019, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardsim7 View Post
That is an unfortunate choice you have to make, as to fix ARC you need to disable that function

My theory is that when that function is enabled, the AVR never truly powers off (pretty sure it consumes the same amount of power as when it's on!) so ARC/CEC doesn't get reset properly

My 777 works fine with all devices, and as a Roon Endpoint, when using ARC. The only issue I have is the Blu OS will sometimes want to turn itself on, when I am done listening to music and want to go back to TV. NAD says it’s a known issue they are working on.
post #8080 of 8793 Old 04-07-2019, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
They've updated the manual with references to Neural:X upmixing too. Looks like Dolby signals are stuck with Dolby Surround, and DTS signals with Neural:X, and PCM can have either.

Page 24

Guess I'll still be outputting DTS as PCM and switching back to bitstreaming for DTS:X titles then :\
This is probably due to licencing restrictions and not a hardware/software limitation.

Audioholics wrote about it last year

https://www.audioholics.com/audio-te...upmixing-atmos

I stopped updating my older yamaha rx-v781, which had the ability to switch between dolby surround, dts:x, or its own 3d upmixer on any source.
post #8081 of 8793 Old 04-07-2019, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
REL has independent controls for .1 and high level inputs, so nothing to readjust .
yup i know about that :-) i mean if you leave the crossover dial on the Rel to say 90hz & then run the speaker to small config in the Nad with a 80hz crossover.
Wont you get bass from both the high level input & the Lfe input? Unless your crossover dial is super low like 30-40hz on the Rel then it might be safe from over lap.

What is the crossover dial set to on your rel?

Thanks.
post #8082 of 8793 Old 04-07-2019, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackspider View Post
yup i know about that :-) i mean if you leave the crossover dial on the Rel to say 90hz & then run the speaker to small config in the Nad with a 80hz crossover.

Wont you get bass from both the high level input & the Lfe input? Unless your crossover dial is super low like 30-40hz on the Rel then it might be safe from over lap.

What is the crossover dial set to on your rel?

Thanks.

RELs don’t have numbers on the crossover dial. I doubt there would be a case where the high level crossover would be all the way up to 90 since the RELs are intended to supplement full range speakers. Even with some REW experimentation, I can guesstimate that my crossover is somewhere between 45 and 75. If you set your NAD crossover to 80, then the subs would receive everything below 80 via LFE, not high level. Basically, I don’t see any instance where high level crossover is higher than .1 crossover, and thus it is unlikely there would be a conflict. In fact, for Music, I find that REL supplementation is rather low from a frequency range cutoff perspective.

post #8083 of 8793 Old 04-09-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
^ Do you have an Android or other device to test with? And do you require BluOS?
I do not have any Android device. I do have issues when connecting to the BlueOS from the Windows 10 laptop.

The decision to use BlueOS was a major selling point on the device to help make things simple to use for the wife. So far, she's not impressed.

NAD has responded with some information that I'm forwarding here to the group. I have not tested any of this setup.

Message from NAD below:

Based on your description of the issue, I would say you are having app discovery issues. This is usually caused by more modern routers which can see our network traffic as potentially harmful. In order to resolve this, you will need to log into your routers configuration page to make a few settings changes.

Below are the primary network configuration settings that will affect Player discovery:

IGMP Snooping
This should be on as it groups the device broadcasting Multicast traffic ( the Player ) with the device looking for that traffic ( the Controller ) Some devices operate Multicast traffic more efficiently without having this setting on so you will need to see what performs best based in your specific network environment.

Multicast
This should be on and not restricted as this is the network protocol we use for discovery.

QOS and WMM
This should be fully disabled as this can and has caused issues with the Players getting unfavorable restrictions on their network traffic.

Wireless Band Steering
This should be fully disabled as this will move certain network devices to the 5GHz or 2.4GHz networks interchangeably depending on the network traffic being used on the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands, example being if a network device is using a lot of traffic on the 2.4GHz band Wireless Band Steering can force other Players onto the 5GHz band in an attempt to clear the path for the other device as much as possible.
The issue with Band Steering is that our devices are only compatible with the 2.4GHz band and can not operate on the 5GHz band. The Router or access point managing this setting does not take this into consideration, forcing our Players to attempt to connect to a network we can not discovery or connect to.

Wireless Isolation
This should also be disabled as this forces network devices to not be able to communicate with their neighboring devices and only be able to speak with the Router/AP.

​Network Security / Firewall Settings​
If using a heuristic like scan may need to be lowered or disabled outright as our Players will utilize UDP and Bonjour services ; Multicast which can potentially be seen as a UDP Flood or DDOS attack by some Routers/Access Points.
post #8084 of 8793 Old 04-09-2019, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkFromTexas View Post
I do not have any Android device. I do have issues when connecting to the BlueOS from the Windows 10 laptop.

The decision to use BlueOS was a major selling point on the device to help make things simple to use for the wife. So far, she's not impressed.

NAD has responded with some information that I'm forwarding here to the group. I have not tested any of this setup.

Message from NAD below:

Based on your description of the issue, I would say you are having app discovery issues. This is usually caused by more modern routers which can see our network traffic as potentially harmful. In order to resolve this, you will need to log into your routers configuration page to make a few settings changes.

Below are the primary network configuration settings that will affect Player discovery:

IGMP Snooping

This should be on as it groups the device broadcasting Multicast traffic ( the Player ) with the device looking for that traffic ( the Controller ) Some devices operate Multicast traffic more efficiently without having this setting on so you will need to see what performs best based in your specific network environment.

Multicast

This should be on and not restricted as this is the network protocol we use for discovery.

QOS and WMM

This should be fully disabled as this can and has caused issues with the Players getting unfavorable restrictions on their network traffic.

Wireless Band Steering

This should be fully disabled as this will move certain network devices to the 5GHz or 2.4GHz networks interchangeably depending on the network traffic being used on the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands, example being if a network device is using a lot of traffic on the 2.4GHz band Wireless Band Steering can force other Players onto the 5GHz band in an attempt to clear the path for the other device as much as possible.

The issue with Band Steering is that our devices are only compatible with the 2.4GHz band and can not operate on the 5GHz band. The Router or access point managing this setting does not take this into consideration, forcing our Players to attempt to connect to a network we can not discovery or connect to.

Wireless Isolation

This should also be disabled as this forces network devices to not be able to communicate with their neighboring devices and only be able to speak with the Router/AP.

​Network Security / Firewall Settings​

If using a heuristic like scan may need to be lowered or disabled outright as our Players will utilize UDP and Bonjour services ; Multicast which can potentially be seen as a UDP Flood or DDOS attack by some Routers/Access Points.

The best thing I did was plug my 777 directly to a mesh WiFi access point via Ethernet allowing the access point to handle wireless activity (far more elegantly). I have no issues with the bluOS app, although I prefer Roon and using airplay via a connected Apple TV. I believe you can buy an inexpensive usb to Ethernet connector for the 758.

For me, the selling points were: Roon endpoint, quality amps, and upgradability.

post #8085 of 8793 Old 04-09-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:

For me, the selling points were: Roon endpoint, quality amps, and upgradability.

To be more exact, the sound was my selling point.

The agreement that we'd spend this much money on this device was more of a negotiation involving ease of use.

Although, the wife has heard a couple of things she likes via the sound of the device.
post #8086 of 8793 Old 04-09-2019, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkFromTexas View Post
To be more exact, the sound was my selling point.

The agreement that we'd spend this much money on this device was more of a negotiation involving ease of use.

Although, the wife has heard a couple of things she likes via the sound of the device.

Understood. If ease of use is your preference, I would recommend using an Apple TV as a front end for the various music services. Note the benefit is video. I discovered they still make music videos by using the tidal app on Apple TV. All the good services are there, and you can use AirPlay for the ones that are not.

Generally I find BluOS to be very good as a front end, but Roon and Apple are a better experience. It’s just an option that I am recommending though.

post #8087 of 8793 Old 04-09-2019, 04:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 232
I have an nad m25 7 channel amp, can I continue using the amp for the 7 channels and assign the 758 internal amps to the 4 overhead speakers?

Thx, bob
post #8088 of 8793 Old 04-09-2019, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 254
No.

Anthem MRX 720 | Parasound Halo A21
Dynaudio Contour 60 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
LG OLED65C7V
post #8089 of 8793 Old 04-09-2019, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra 150 pilot View Post
I have an nad m25 7 channel amp, can I continue using the amp for the 7 channels and assign the 758 internal amps to the 4 overhead speakers?

Thx, bob

Nope, you can't

What I do with my 7 channel amp is power the LCR + 4 Atmos speakers, and let the T758v3 power the remaining 4 surrounds
post #8090 of 8793 Old 04-09-2019, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Nope, you can't

What I do with my 7 channel amp is power the LCR + 4 Atmos speakers, and let the T758v3 power the remaining 4 surrounds
Ok that works too

Thanks for the quick reply
richardsim7 likes this.
post #8091 of 8793 Old 04-10-2019, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Question about Dirac. I was able to get the measurements (an save those as well), but when I get to the step of creating filters (Proceed to Filter Design), I get an error message that says "phase correction request timed out. Check your device and network and try again." I still seem to be connected to my 758V3, and I;m still connected to the internet (I downloaded Marcus' files for Harman curve after). Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Darren A.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7EFEE951-A058-4785-B3BB-556F177C0075_1554913879803.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	2551316   Click image for larger version

Name:	8002777B-D6D7-4607-816F-7B3F83D9DF3D_1554913897840.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	2551318   Click image for larger version

Name:	41D0D47D-6D63-46EE-B23C-7C47864C5E23_1554913917399.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	211.5 KB
ID:	2551320  
post #8092 of 8793 Old 04-10-2019, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by optoguy View Post
Question about Dirac. I was able to get the measurements (an save those as well), but when I get to the step of creating filters (Proceed to Filter Design), I get an error message that says "phase correction request timed out. Check your device and network and try again." I still seem to be connected to my 758V3, and I;m still connected to the internet (I downloaded Marcus' files for Harman curve after). Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Darren A.

Could be a temporary issue with Dirac's servers, try again later, see if anything changes, otherwise maybe check any firewall settings
post #8093 of 8793 Old 04-10-2019, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Could be a temporary issue with Dirac's servers, try again later, see if anything changes, otherwise maybe check any firewall settings
Sounds good. It was late at night when I tried it, will try again when I get home. So close...

Thanks!

Darren A.
richardsim7 likes this.
post #8094 of 8793 Old 04-10-2019, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sounds good. It was late at night when I tried it, will try again when I get home. So close...

Thanks!

Darren A.

For future reference

https://www.take-a-screenshot.org/
post #8095 of 8793 Old 04-10-2019, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
I apply Dolby Surround to everything ...
Richard, is this how you force DTS-HD/DTS to be sent as PCM to the NAD?

Or do i need any extra steps?

Thank you!
richardsim7 likes this.
post #8096 of 8793 Old 04-10-2019, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 143
....and where is this DTS:X update...? LOL
edved1 and ciao.carlos like this.

Vizio M55-e0 Display Oppo 103D
NAD T758v3
SVS PB-1000 Sub
Wharfedale Diamond 220, 220c 210 system
post #8097 of 8793 Old 04-10-2019, 04:22 PM
LVS
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 41
It's coming....
carminepesce likes this.
post #8098 of 8793 Old 04-10-2019, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by carminepesce View Post
....and where is this DTS:X update...? LOL

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...-dtsx-and-more
post #8099 of 8793 Old 04-10-2019, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post

"on or around April 16th"

post #8100 of 8793 Old 04-10-2019, 09:04 PM
mfb

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Thanks,

Darren A.
Interesting. I still can't get Dirac to run a clean calibration. I've been told it's a wifi issue (not), I see a comment about a firewall, not that I want to diss NAD/Dirac, but my buddy with his Lyngdorf (and Room Perfect) is sitting back and bragging how he is now loving listening to music again... I'm also waiting on Dirac on the M10. Hoping Axpona is a good weekend...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page