post #8101 of 9690 Old 04-11-2019, 03:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked: 1861
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfb View Post
Interesting. I still can't get Dirac to run a clean calibration. I've been told it's a wifi issue (not), I see a comment about a firewall, not that I want to diss NAD/Dirac, but my buddy with his Lyngdorf (and Room Perfect) is sitting back and bragging how he is now loving listening to music again... I'm also waiting on Dirac on the M10. Hoping Axpona is a good weekend...
Don't give up hope. Keep reading and trying things because there's got to be some little thing overlooked somewhere. Most people have not had any issues they couldn't overcome with a little perseverance, I know I haven't. I think the best connection seems to be Ethernet, though I don't use it.

Good news on the M10 for Dirac Live, but also for all the owners of T758v3, T777v3, and M17 with the upcoming release of BluOS 3.4, and it will be demonstrated at AXPONA.

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...-dtsx-and-more

Just another week to go!

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Office: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red. Guest room: Hafler 300 L-R, KEF Reference Model 100 center, KEF iQ10 surrounds, modded M&K V-90 sub, Bluesound Vault 2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8102 of 9690 Old 04-11-2019, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardsim7 View Post
That is an unfortunate choice you have to make, as to fix ARC you need to disable that function

My theory is that when that function is enabled, the AVR never truly powers off (pretty sure it consumes the same amount of power as when it's on!) so ARC/CEC doesn't get reset properly
It's ridiculous that we have to make that compromise. Can they fix this with a firmware update?

I'm also having all sorts of problems with Dirac Live. I have the supplied calibration microphone connected to my laptop (as it doesn't reach all the way to the receiver in the gear closet) and the microphone isn't picking up the calibration sweeps properly. It's weird because it works fine when setting the volume for the Dirac calibration run, but once the sweeps start it's not working properly and I can't get a calibration run to complete without errors.

I have a calibrated Umik-1 on the way from Cross Spectrum so I'll see if I can get it to work either plugged into the laptop or the NAD itself.

I can say that my experience with Dirac and miniDSP was much more successful, and the Room Perfect calibration of my Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 was a breeze with zero issues. Looking forward to getting Dirac Live up and running on this thing.

Main System: Vizio P70 4K TV. Selah Vigore Speakers. KEF Q100 Rear L/R, Mirage BPS 400 LFE Sub. (2x)Rythmik FM8 Subs. Denon AVR-X4500H Receiver. Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Integrated (2 channel). Oppo BDP-103. Zappiti Mini 4K HDR. GIK 242 Panels, Tri Traps, Monster Bass Trap. Various Vicoustic Desktop: Dynaudio BM6A mkII. Paradigm SUB10 w/ PBK. Cambridge DACMagic+ DAC. GIK 242 Panels, Monster Bass Trap Master Bedroom: Vizio M55 4K HDR. BG Radia In-Wall/Ceiling Speakers (5.2.2). NAD T758v3 Receiver
post #8103 of 9690 Old 04-11-2019, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by carminepesce View Post
....and where is this DTS:X update...? LOL
Just finished updating it!

Happy belated April fools

NAD T758v3, Emotiva XPA-3, XPA-5, UPA-5, JTR Triple 12 LP L/C/R, Htm-6 surrounds, Volt 6 atmos, SVS PC13 Ultra and JTR Cap 2400 ULF - Denon x2400h, Elac Debut F5, Elac Debut C5, Elac Debut A4, Klipsch r-12swi - Stereo Totem Mite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8104 of 9690 Old 04-11-2019, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked: 1755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick V View Post
It's ridiculous that we have to make that compromise. Can they fix this with a firmware update?

I'm also having all sorts of problems with Dirac Live. I have the supplied calibration microphone connected to my laptop (as it doesn't reach all the way to the receiver in the gear closet) and the microphone isn't picking up the calibration sweeps properly. It's weird because it works fine when setting the volume for the Dirac calibration run, but once the sweeps start it's not working properly and I can't get a calibration run to complete without errors.

I have a calibrated Umik-1 on the way from Cross Spectrum so I'll see if I can get it to work either plugged into the laptop or the NAD itself.

I can say that my experience with Dirac and miniDSP was much more successful, and the Room Perfect calibration of my Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 was a breeze with zero issues. Looking forward to getting Dirac Live up and running on this thing.

I suppose the more complaints/reports NAD receive, the more likely they are to fix it
post #8105 of 9690 Old 04-11-2019, 10:01 AM
mfb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
Don't give up hope. Keep reading and trying things because there's got to be some little thing overlooked somewhere. Most people have not had any issues they couldn't overcome with a little perseverance, I know I haven't. I think the best connection seems to be Ethernet, though I don't use it.

Good news on the M10 for Dirac Live, but also for all the owners of T758v3, T777v3, and M17 with the upcoming release of BluOS 3.4, and it will be demonstrated at AXPONA.

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...-dtsx-and-more

Just another week to go!
Yep. I'll be back at it again this weekend. I've tried the supplied mic from the 758 and from my Mac. Need to find an ethernet to USB adapter to bypass wifi...Hoping for some good reviews at AXPONA.
post #8106 of 9690 Old 04-11-2019, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
This is probably due to licencing restrictions and not a hardware/software limitation.

Audioholics wrote about it last year

https://www.audioholics.com/audio-te...upmixing-atmos

I stopped updating my older yamaha rx-v781, which had the ability to switch between dolby surround, dts:x, or its own 3d upmixer on any source.

Forgot to reply to this, you've got it backwards. Dolby don't want people applying Neural:X to Dolby signals, I'm talking about the other way around, which I don't believe Dolby have a problem with, it's just not written in their spec so NAD haven't coded it (but every other AVR manufacturer have done)
post #8107 of 9690 Old 04-11-2019, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Interesting. I still can't get Dirac to run a clean calibration. I've been told it's a wifi issue (not), I see a comment about a firewall, not that I want to diss NAD/Dirac, but my buddy with his Lyngdorf (and Room Perfect) is sitting back and bragging how he is now loving listening to music again... I'm also waiting on Dirac on the M10. Hoping Axpona is a good weekend...
I had the same issue yesterday with my laptop (wireless).
once i reran from my desktop that's wired, the issues went away.
richardsim7 likes this.
post #8108 of 9690 Old 04-11-2019, 10:45 AM
d_c
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 239 Post(s)
Quoted: 1151 Post(s)
Liked: 1586
I received my replacement 758 and have everything set back up - no hiss, no weird sounds. BluOs is much faster with this unit. The iPhone remote syncs quicker, and so does Markus' app remote. It took 3 times for the filter set to load in to the AVR after Dirac though. It had me worried that I was going to have to start over.

I'll be Axpona tomorrow so I'll be sure and check out the updated BluOs
tebling and richardsim7 like this.
post #8109 of 9690 Old 04-11-2019, 11:10 AM
mfb

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumpy2u View Post
I had the same issue yesterday with my laptop (wireless).
once i reran from my desktop that's wired, the issues went away.

Please clarify:

Ran Dirac from the desktop?
Mic hooked up to the 758?

Thx.
post #8110 of 9690 Old 04-11-2019, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Yeah, it's a tough one, isn't it! I ended up disabling my web browser security which helped get me a connection (I use AVG). Maybe another thing to try. So if I can just get it to do some filters, I can see where the Dirac correction can be great. Still working on it though ( I tried a few times last night, but to no avail). Now I will admit, I am not in IT (not even close). But the results look promising!

Is there somewhere to email Dirac? I'm not sure if mine is a NAD or a Dirac issue right now (off to do more searching...)

Good luck and keep us posted!

Darren
post #8111 of 9690 Old 04-11-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Please clarify:

Ran Dirac from the desktop?
Mic hooked up to the 758?

Thx.
yes, i connected the supplied mic using the usb connection directly to the T758v3 and not connected to the computer.
my desktop is located in another room has a wired connection to my network.
that kinda worked out well since nothing else was in the listening area when the calibration was going on.
post #8112 of 9690 Old 04-11-2019, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
This is probably due to licencing restrictions and not a hardware/software limitation.

Audioholics wrote about it last year

https://www.audioholics.com/audio-te...upmixing-atmos

I stopped updating my older yamaha rx-v781, which had the ability to switch between dolby surround, dts:x, or its own 3d upmixer on any source.

Forgot to reply to this, you've got it backwards. Dolby don't want people applying Neural:X to Dolby signals, I'm talking about the other way around, which I don't believe Dolby have a problem with, it's just not written in their spec so NAD haven't coded it (but every other AVR manufacturer have done)
Yeah, but when I read the article I figured it had to go both ways. Even if Dolby is the one pressuring manufacturers, I don't think it would make sense for DTS to not also implement a restriction. If, in the future Dolby is universally compatible, but other competitors are not. Then Dolby gains a significant advantage, because now the dolby suite can decode all other sources, while competitors cannot?
post #8113 of 9690 Old 04-11-2019, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I was able to get Dirac working properly. I'm not exactly sure what was causing the issue, but I uninstalled the original version of Dirac Live that I had used in the past with my miniDSP DDRC-22D and I also deleted the mic calibration file for the included NAD mic before trying again.

I then downloaded the mic calibration file again, and loaded it back into Dirac Live 2.2.0 and ran the software from my laptop connected to the wireless network. The included mic was plugged into the laptop. Dirac found my NAD 758v3 with no issues and this time the sweeps ran with no issues. I performed 9 measurements and created filters from there.

For now I'm just using the default filters (which do sound slightly bass-shy to my ears) but I'll tweak the filters a little more later on. I haven't purchased the full version of Dirac yet, so the 6dB bass boost Harman target curves don't really work properly when Dirac isn't correcting the entire frequency spectrum.

With Dirac now running everything is sounding a little more precise and slightly more locked into focus.
KenM10759 likes this.

Main System: Vizio P70 4K TV. Selah Vigore Speakers. KEF Q100 Rear L/R, Mirage BPS 400 LFE Sub. (2x)Rythmik FM8 Subs. Denon AVR-X4500H Receiver. Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Integrated (2 channel). Oppo BDP-103. Zappiti Mini 4K HDR. GIK 242 Panels, Tri Traps, Monster Bass Trap. Various Vicoustic Desktop: Dynaudio BM6A mkII. Paradigm SUB10 w/ PBK. Cambridge DACMagic+ DAC. GIK 242 Panels, Monster Bass Trap Master Bedroom: Vizio M55 4K HDR. BG Radia In-Wall/Ceiling Speakers (5.2.2). NAD T758v3 Receiver
post #8114 of 9690 Old 04-11-2019, 07:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was able to get Dirac working properly. I'm not exactly sure what was causing the issue, but I uninstalled the original version of Dirac Live that I had used in the past with my miniDSP DDRC-22D and I also deleted the mic calibration file for the included NAD mic before trying again.

I then downloaded the mic calibration file again, and loaded it back into Dirac Live 2.2.0 and ran the software from my laptop connected to the wireless network. The included mic was plugged into the laptop. Dirac found my NAD 758v3 with no issues and this time the sweeps ran with no issues. I performed 9 measurements and created filters from there.

For now I'm just using the default filters (which do sound slightly bass-shy to my ears) but I'll tweak the filters a little more later on. I haven't purchased the full version of Dirac yet, so the 6dB bass boost Harman target curves don't really work properly when Dirac isn't correcting the entire frequency spectrum.

With Dirac now running everything is sounding a little more precise and slightly more locked into focus.
I strongly encourage investing in the full version, and if you have a calibrated UMike-1 with that miniDSP unit, use that.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Office: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red. Guest room: Hafler 300 L-R, KEF Reference Model 100 center, KEF iQ10 surrounds, modded M&K V-90 sub, Bluesound Vault 2.
post #8115 of 9690 Old 04-12-2019, 12:11 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Guys,

My room renovation is getting done, just put fresh speaker wire for the surrounds & atmos, now i need to buy some banana plugs. I m confused with BFA Z & normal banana plugs.
will these BFA banana plugs fit our Nad t758 v3? these are the ones-

https://www.amazon.com/Audioquest-Su...na%2Caps%2C371

anyone have these BFA plugs plugged in their T758?

Thanks.
post #8116 of 9690 Old 04-12-2019, 02:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackspider View Post
Guys,

My room renovation is getting done, just put fresh speaker wire for the surrounds & atmos, now i need to buy some banana plugs. I m confused with BFA Z & normal banana plugs.

Thanks.

Yeah, all banana plugs are made equal, should be fine
post #8117 of 9690 Old 04-12-2019, 02:50 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackspider View Post
Guys,

Thanks.
I use these exact ones in my v3

NAD T758 v3 | Q Acoustics 3050 | Q Acoustics Concept centre | Q Acoustics 3020 | SVS SB-2000
LG OLED55C7 | Vero 4K+ | Xbox One X
post #8118 of 9690 Old 04-12-2019, 03:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
They should be, but unfortunately they are not. They do all start out at a little over 4mm diameter to fit the 4mm receptacle in amps, receivers, and speakers. The maker's choice of copper alloy, the amount of elasticity (spring) it has and the design all matter for how long they may last and how good of a connection they continue to make.

I choose to use locking banana plugs from Blue Jeans Cable. Rock solid connection and I control the tension. I started with Monoprice connectors, they didn't work very good.
gumpy2u likes this.

post #8119 of 9690 Old 04-12-2019, 03:24 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Nice, do they fit the T758 well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by timadriaans View Post
I use these exact ones in my v3

Was confused that BFA Banana plugs only work in BFA connectors.
I guess its the normal 4mm banana plugs that don't fit the the BFA connectors right?
post #8120 of 9690 Old 04-12-2019, 08:33 AM

use locking banana plugs from Blue Jeans Cable
post #8121 of 9690 Old 04-12-2019, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1558
I can vouch for the Sewell Deadbolt plugs.
Nick V likes this.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)
post #8122 of 9690 Old 04-12-2019, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1810 Post(s)
Liked: 1848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post

Agreed. They work very well. Reasonably priced as well.

https://smile.amazon.com/Sewell-Dire...006U3O566?th=1
post #8123 of 9690 Old 04-12-2019, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Sewell Silverback banana plugs work as well.

Darren
tjcinnamon likes this.
post #8124 of 9690 Old 04-12-2019, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
I use those ones as well. Nice and simple, good solid connection.

post #8125 of 9690 Old 04-12-2019, 03:56 PM

I used the NAD supplied mic to do the original calibration of my T758v3. I really like the results so far but realized i have a UMIK-1 that i could have used.
so i'm thinking of rerunning the calibration with the UMIK-1 plugged into the T758v3, when the wifes out. do i use the calibration file from miniDSP for this ?

thanks
post #8126 of 9690 Old 04-12-2019, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumpy2u View Post
I used the NAD supplied mic to do the original calibration of my T758v3. I really like the results so far but realized i have a UMIK-1 that i could have used.
so i'm thinking of rerunning the calibration with the UMIK-1 plugged into the T758v3, when the wifes out. do i use the calibration file from miniDSP for this ?

thanks

Yup
post #8127 of 9690 Old 04-12-2019, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Today I loaded firmware and ran Dirac 2.0 for the first time. The 2.2 version seems relatively painless to use, but the Harman curves that I obtained at some point for 4, 6, 8 and 10 db do not appear to exhibit a rolloff from 1K to 20k. Is there a way to change the scaling on the new interface so I can zoom and see what the vertical scale is. My laptop Win10 pc never recognized the UMIK-1 in Dirac and I ended up plugging it into the receiver and running Dirac from my office iMac through the network. Not convenient for changing mic placement at all, but the 27" screen is far easier to build filters on. I still need to enter a network address to access the NAD from the iMac however. Has anyone sucessfully loaded the NAD Roomfeel target curve from 1.2? I'm sure its hidden away in some system folder on the mac.

I'd like to shout out Lenbrook for working with me on a solution to address my defective unit under warranty. Customer support was effective (eventually) in solving the problem. My unit is now running properly.
KenM10759 and Jeeriko like this.

Last edited by Dr. Niles Crane; 04-16-2019 at 12:19 AM.
post #8128 of 9690 Old 04-12-2019, 08:53 PM
mfb

Quote:
yes and no. I wouldn't spend the $$ on the audio quest. Find a banana with two locking screws on eBay or amazon. You can use a center punch to expand the diameter to ensure a tight connection.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
neo_2009 likes this.
post #8129 of 9690 Old 04-13-2019, 06:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:

Glad to hear it finally worked for you. I don't think there's a user on here that was able to breeze through setup without a single difficulty, but I will say, after I finally got Dirac to do what its supposed to it really is impressive (I set different curves based on my wife's habitually rearranging the furniture in my living room...hey, as long as she doesn't change me out I'm OK).

I used to dabble in low-mid level 2 channel and tried many integrated receivers in the $1-3K level and I have to say that very few of them sounded better, more balanced, more authoritative that this NAD and none had anywhere near the bells/whistles (or any room correction) so, I gave up the component switching when I bought the NAD...it just does so many things right and I'm currently running it 2 channel full range with Monitor Audio Silver 300's in a 1000 sq/ft living room and at half volume my wife yells for me to turn it down! (when she's gone I use a fuller bass curve, when she's here I dial it back flatter with bass trimmed).

Anyway, just another satisfied customer...thanks to all on here who've helped troubleshoot along the way, especially Markus767 and RichardSim7, NAD truly does owe you a debt of gratitude because this receiver is NOT plug and play usually. Anyway, back to enjoying my receiver....oh, right after I download my BluOS update with DTS:X...darn, now I'm going to have to buy some more speakers/amp and get this thing running full 9 channel DTS:X surround.(interestingly, the NAD website already has DTS:X logo now listed on the 758 V3 page https://nadelectronics.com/product/t...ound-receiver/)

Happy listening all!
post #8130 of 9690 Old 04-13-2019, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Niles Crane View Post
Today I did surgery and replaced my defective AM230 (hiss in overheads), loaded firmware and ran Dirac 2.0 for the first time. The 2.2 version seems relatively painless to use, but the Harman curves that I obtained at some point for 4, 6, 8 and 10 db do not appear to exhibit a rolloff from 1K to 20k. Is there a way to change the scaling on the new interface so I can zoom and see what the vertical scale is. My laptop Win10 pc never recognized the UMIK-1 in Dirac and I ended up plugging it into the receiver and running Dirac from my office iMac through the network. Not convenient for changing mic placement at all, but the 27" screen is far easier to build filters on. I still need to enter a network address to access the NAD from the iMac however. Has anyone sucessfully loaded the NAD Roomfeel target curve from 1.2? I'm sure its hidden away in some system folder on the mac.

I'd like to shout out Lenbrook for working with me on a solution to address my defective card. Customer support was effective (eventually) in solving the problem. My unit is noise free and running properly.
I was able to obtain a copy of the RoomFell curve from NAD's website. I wish I could remember where the link is located but I'd be more than happy to share it with you if you'd like bud.

Vizio M55-e0 Display Oppo 103D
NAD T758v3
SVS PB-1000 Sub
Wharfedale Diamond 220, 220c 210 system
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page