Forum Jump: 
 5704Likes

post #8521 of 8792 Old 05-14-2019, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 224
I've received the Ethernet<->USB adapter recommended by @richardsim7 , the Ugreen 20254, and everything worked flawlessly
Nima, pixphipau and richardsim7 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8522 of 8792 Old 05-14-2019, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by roe12605 View Post
Hi Marc!
Yes, I would be pleased to beta test your app. I don't frequent this particular board, so if you might PM me when needed, that would be most efficient! (not uncommon for me to find several hundred unread posts here, very prolific!) I'll stay tuned for your reply today, though.

That's interesting about the Dirac state indications you mentioned. It looked to me that NAD might have just one data protocol info download for the series, so one would think they all communicate the same!
I'm actually unable to PM anyone until I have 15 posts (which this one will be) so I'll definitely get in touch with you through a PM!
richardsim7 likes this.
post #8523 of 8792 Old 05-14-2019, 02:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
A couple of days ago I posted on here regarding a distorted sound (especially from frequencies like that used on the menu back sound played on apple TV 4k) from the 758 v3 and a failed sub out. I have now hooked up the replacement and the distortion is still there. My Yamaha is fine all with the same speakers and cabling. I can't imagine this is an endemic fault with the 758 or others would have noticed.
Has anyone else heard distorted sound from their 758? I would post a sound clip but I don't have the rights or something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8524 of 8792 Old 05-14-2019, 03:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by russraff View Post
A couple of days ago I posted on here regarding a distorted sound (especially from frequencies like that used on the menu back sound played on apple TV 4k) from the 758 v3 and a failed sub out. I have now hooked up the replacement and the distortion is still there. My Yamaha is fine all with the same speakers and cabling. I can't imagine this is an endemic fault with the 758 or others would have noticed.
Has anyone else heard distorted sound from their 758? I would post a sound clip but I don't have the rights or something.
Is the distortion heard from all speakers?

Vizio M55-e0 Display Oppo 103D
NAD T758v3
SVS PB-1000 Sub
Wharfedale Diamond 220, 220c 210 system
post #8525 of 8792 Old 05-14-2019, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardsim7 View Post
Awesome, will give it a go. First thing I'd say is a dark mode might be a good idea, as most people will be using this in the dark and don't wanna be blinded by their phone

And I'd say you certainly have the right to be compensated for your work. If you can implement a trial like markus has with his, that would give people the chance to decide if they like/need the remote functionality

Yeah I ran in to this problem for the first time yesterday, paused a movie playing in PCM 7.1 upmixed using DSU. When I resumed it was noticabley louder (and luckily it was during a quiet talking scene). Disabling and re-enabling upmixing fixed it

Will report it to NAD and see what they say. Guess it's not just a DTS:Neural X thing like we thought

Okey good to know that i not the only one
post #8526 of 8792 Old 05-14-2019, 11:27 PM

Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by carminepesce View Post
Is the distortion heard from all speakers?
It is, though easier to hear using stereo.
post #8527 of 8792 Old 05-15-2019, 09:03 AM

Liked: 12
Differnece stereo image 44k/HiRes with Dirac

Hello,

First and foremost thanks for all the tips and reviews and all-you-can-eat information about the NAD T758v3 which made me decide on this unit as an endpoint for my upgrade path...for now. Short introduction of myself: I've been "into" surround & stereo since early 2000's and owned Sony, NAD, Cyrus, Tag McLaren, Marantz, Onkyo and now back to NAD again. Speakers did not change much: Dynaudio 82/122C/42W and several others (T+A, JBL), subwoofers REL, SVS, Onyx Rocket UFW-10 and now back to SVS (2039pcplus).

I am very happy with the NAD T758v3 sound I'm getting, after trying out (in order of appearance here in my attic HT) Onkyo 9150 > Denon X3500H > Marantz 7012 > Denon X4500H. Though The Denon X4500made an impact when playing surround, a supertight bubble, ordinary stereo music was very unimpressive. The NAD is a big big step up, I'd almost say uncomparable in Stereo with the Denon. The Marantz 7012 was a bit better, but I found my "old" Onkyo 818 doing stereo music with more warmth and "musicality" (what's that exactly...) than all these newer amps. But "nothing compares 2 NAD" I must say. But of course, this only holds for my specific set of loudspeakers: I think the Dynaudio Audience 82's like some power. Anyway, the NAD in surround is at first a bit less impressive than the Denon X4500. But, when watching a movie, the NAD made me listen twice to some parts because I thought "What is happening downstairs..?" when it was part of the movie! Greater realism, even my 3 year old boy this looked over his shoulder when playing one of the Atmos demo with the flapping wings in the back! Sorry for this longer introduction, but I thought I can't just consume all info here and pop up with a question.

I have tried and tested this NAD unit about 10 days now, but unfortunately came across two problems. DIRAC measurements where very erratic, most of the time I got the message "missing recordings" after a measurement. According to NAD support will probably be due to a problem with the white MIC to USB dongle. They are sending a replacement: a different version which apparantly exists, probably the black one they also show on the NAD/Dirac site.

I'm having a problem hopefully caused by that dongle but I haven't read about it here before: when playing a hi-res file (Tidal or file from my NAS) the stereo image is off, compared to the "regular" 44k version of the same song. It is back to normal stereo image when i turn off DIRAC or when I choose "Small" for my front speakers.
Does anybody recognize this problem?
richardsim7 likes this.
post #8528 of 8792 Old 05-15-2019, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1269 Post(s)
Liked: 1635
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFuzz View Post
I'm having a problem hopefully caused by that dongle but I haven't read about it here before: when playing a hi-res file (Tidal or file from my NAS) the stereo image is off, compared to the "regular" 44k version of the same song. It is back to normal stereo image when i turn off DIRAC or when I choose "Small" for my front speakers.
Does anybody recognize this problem?

Dirac released a new version just the other day that should fix that issue that some reported about the stereo image not being centered, so download that and re-do Dirac and you should be good to go

May I also suggest maybe getting a MiniDSP UMIK-1 mic instead of the provided one
gumpy2u likes this.
post #8529 of 8792 Old 05-15-2019, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I'm too for UMIK-1 as this USB mic dongle provided by NAD is no good!

Other thing! I always found that for music, single spot measurement is better than full (9) spots measurements! If you MLP is chair, then much better!
post #8530 of 8792 Old 05-15-2019, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
App feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrooding View Post
I've just released the first public version of the Android app: Adrian: link removed as I have too few posts to leave this in my reply!

In the coming weeks, I'll keep working on the remote tab. Not quite sure what I'll do regarding keeping it free or asking for a small amount. What do you guys think?

Any feedback is of course welcome
Hi Marc,

As a dedicated Android user I have felt very sad to have been unable to try Markus' app. Great that you have been busy with your project! I have installed the app on my Mii 8 smartphone and Nvidia Shield tablet, on both it has installed and connected to my t758 flawlessly. There is zero observable latency in the data updating when changing volume or other settings, so this is very promising.

Relating to the other comment regarding a "lights out" mode, I normally prefer brighter themes but for this use-case I agree that a dark theme would be best.

Most noticeable if in landscape mode, and then also more of an issue on the Shield tablet, it is not so easy to correctly track my eye from the data field's title to the data on the right. My suggestion would be to have some Excel-style banded shading to mark out each row.

Perhaps there could be a tabbed, or swiped to, second data summary so that the default is to only see "Video" and "Audio" information? I think most of us will rarely need to view the "Speakers" info so it might be neater to split it out.

Might it be possible to have custom names for the DIRAC profiles? For example, so that the info screen would allow me to set it to show "sofa" or "chair" instead of "Profile 1/2"?

In response to your question about pricing, it looks to be tricky to me. As others have stated, I think it reasonable that you receive donations for a biertje or two, as compensation for your efforts, but I doubt that such a niche app for a relatively niche audio product will allow you to quit work;-). My suggestion would be for the current version to be free to use, allowing potential users to confirm that they can install and correct without issues, with the version having full remote capabilties being a paid-for app - perhaps EUR 5 or 10?

Anyway, that's the total of my thoughts for now. I look forward to the enhanced version...
Jeeriko likes this.
post #8531 of 8792 Old 05-15-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Dirac released a new version just the other day that should fix that issue that some reported about the stereo image not being centered, so download that and re-do Dirac and you should be good to go

May I also suggest maybe getting a MiniDSP UMIK-1 mic instead of the provided one
Thanks for your suggestions!

I did use that latest version (2.2.1) but no difference. I tried factory reset of the NAD and of the BluOS, reDIRACted (after a lot of trial & error, with the faulty USB thingy) but still same issue...
I did not notice this problem with the older version....Maybe I'll try a downgrade .
I'll check out the UMIK-1!
post #8532 of 8792 Old 05-15-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeriko View Post
I'm too for UMIK-1 as this USB mic dongle provided by NAD is no good!

Other thing! I always found that for music, single spot measurement is better than full (9) spots measurements! If you MLP is chair, then much better!

From the limited successfull measurements I found the multiple spot measurement results to be better, but it's a bad reference if that dongle is dingy...I'll certainly compare this when the new dongle arrives, It would save a lot of time!
post #8533 of 8792 Old 05-15-2019, 11:26 AM
LVS
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFuzz View Post
Thanks for your suggestions!

I did use that latest version (2.2.1) but no difference. I tried factory reset of the NAD and of the BluOS, reDIRACted (after a lot of trial & error, with the faulty USB thingy) but still same issue...
I did not notice this problem with the older version....Maybe I'll try a downgrade .
I'll check out the UMIK-1!

2.2.2 was released on 5/14/19.
post #8534 of 8792 Old 05-15-2019, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianr View Post
Might it be possible to have custom names for the DIRAC profiles? For example, so that the info screen would allow me to set it to show "sofa" or "chair" instead of "Profile 1/2"?

I imagine this is a limitation of the information that AVR spits out, as whilst you have profile names on the AVR, it may only report Profile 1, 2 or 3
post #8535 of 8792 Old 05-15-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVS View Post

ah, wow! And I thought I was up-to-date ;-)
Thanks! I'll test it asap
post #8536 of 8792 Old 05-15-2019, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Shouldn't make any difference, as I believe that was only a bugfix for macOS for an unrelated issue
post #8537 of 8792 Old 05-15-2019, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
I imagine this is a limitation of the information that AVR spits out, as whilst you have profile names on the AVR, it may only report Profile 1, 2 or 3
Hi Richard, I must not have been clear enough, sorry! My expectation is that the T758 responds only with 1, 2 or 3. My intent for the suggestion is that, in software within Marc's app, custom labels could be set so that when it receives a profile number it would instead display the user-set label. That would mean there'd be no connection and syncing between what is set as a custom label in Dirac Live and in the Android app. Is that more clear?
richardsim7 likes this.
post #8538 of 8792 Old 05-15-2019, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianr View Post
Hi Richard, I must not have been clear enough, sorry! My expectation is that the T758 responds only with 1, 2 or 3. My intent for the suggestion is that, in software within Marc's app, custom labels could be set so that when it receives a profile number it would instead display the user-set label. That would mean there'd be no connection and syncing between what is set as a custom label in Dirac Live and in the Android app. Is that more clear?

Ah yes I get what you're saying now, label them on the app, not try and get said info from the AVR
adrianr likes this.
post #8539 of 8792 Old 05-15-2019, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
After doing all the upgrades on my T758 v3 and the Mac desktop app, as well as the bluos, the Tidal app within bluos fails to play. Is it just me? I have sent out a service request.
post #8540 of 8792 Old 05-15-2019, 05:12 PM
LVS
Advanced Member

downloaded 2.2.1 and then 2.2.2 and now can't access my target curves or mic calibration files. It says can't find calibration files, can't find project files etc... any help would be appreciated. I guess I should say MacOS.

Last edited by LVS; 05-15-2019 at 05:16 PM.
post #8541 of 8792 Old 05-15-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
downloaded 2.2.1 and then 2.2.2 and now can't access my target curves or mic calibration files. It says can't find calibration files, can't find project files etc... any help would be appreciated. I guess I should say MacOS.
Did you use the maintenance tool to completely remove previous versions? I had the “can’t find mic calibration file” error before updating to 2.2.2 but all seems good now.

NAD T758v3
SVS PB-1000 Sub
post #8542 of 8792 Old 05-16-2019, 05:14 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Version 2.2.2 on MacOS seems to not run in native resolution on my latest MacBook Pro. Everything is interpolated and pretty blurry.

TV: Panasonic 65DXW904 || Receiver: NAD T758 V3 || Console: Sony PS4, Nintendo Switch || Front: Dynaudio Special Forty || Rear: Canton GLE 410 || Sub: Klipsch R-115 SW
post #8543 of 8792 Old 05-16-2019, 06:01 AM
LVS
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carminepesce View Post
Did you use the maintenance tool to completely remove previous versions? I had the “can’t find mic calibration file” error before updating to 2.2.2 but all seems good now.

Thanks for this tip. I did not run the maintenance tool prior to upgrading, so I will give that a try.
post #8544 of 8792 Old 05-16-2019, 03:57 PM
LVS
Advanced Member

Removing the app with maintenance tool did not help. As it stands now, I can't use DiracLive at all with my macbook. Also as another user pointed out it seems to be running in a reduced resolution. I tried going back and installing previous versions and have the same issue. Moving files to other directories has not helped.
post #8545 of 8792 Old 05-16-2019, 04:38 PM
LVS
Advanced Member

Quote:
Removing the app with maintenance tool did not help. As it stands now, I can't use DiracLive at all with my macbook. Also as another user pointed out it seems to be running in a reduced resolution. I tried going back and installing previous versions and have the same issue. Moving files to other directories has not helped.

Hopefully this helps someone. After running the maintenancetool app to remove all, it left the actual diraclive app. I removed the parent folder. I also copied the dirac data folder to another area and then moved that to trash. Re-installed DiracLive 2.2.2, ran app and it created the Dirac data directory again with just Logs subfolder. Then copied my projects and target curves back to that directory and it appears to be loading the mic calibration file and the project files. Resolution still doesn't seem correct but... ymmv.
post #8546 of 8792 Old 05-16-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately I can’t help with the resolution issues as I’m running on an iMac. I will say however that the app doesn’t properly fill the screen on my 24” iMac.

NAD T758v3
SVS PB-1000 Sub
post #8547 of 8792 Old 05-16-2019, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1791 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Ugh! Checked with the repair shop for my warranty and they said they found another issue!?! Hoping to get more detail tomorrow.

It’s been a few weeks already!

NAD 758 v3 with Dirac 7.4.4 + Rotel 976 + Panamax M5300-PM
Paradigm Prestige 75F's + 55C; 8x Paradigm CI Pro P65-R's
DIY MBMs: VRK Build thread + 2x Rotel 981 (bridged)
Sub: 2x Rythmik LVX12 + MiniDSP
DIY Room Treatments: Dutch Floral Prints
post #8548 of 8792 Old 05-17-2019, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcinnamon View Post
Ugh! Checked with the repair shop for my warranty and they said they found another issue!?! Hoping to get more detail tomorrow.

They have the card in but apparently there's something else that they may be waiting for NAD on? No idea what that could be. Perhaps they don't want to send it back until the "pause/lower volume" firmware issue is resolved?

post #8549 of 8792 Old 05-17-2019, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcinnamon View Post

Well would you rather they sent it back not 100% fixed?
post #8550 of 8792 Old 05-17-2019, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well would you rather they sent it back not 100% fixed?
that's what I told them! I said, thanks for being thorough. However, curious what else could be not going well after the card replacement?

I wonder what the defect rate on these things is. I get the bias of most people who have problems hit the forums but it doesn't seem to be very stable. That said, for the sound, price, and scale-ability its worth it.
richardsim7 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page