AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 25
NAD 758 v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tparm View Post
Just a quick question and a comment or two. I still have ARC issues, if I switch to another source and go back to Roku via my TCL TV, I don't get any sound until i turn off and unplug my unit. Suggestions? Up to date Monoprice HDMI cable, followed directions to the tee for HDMI Stand By set up etc. Thanks.

Other comments are everything else works great; BluOS, Ethernet connection, full Dirac calibration...... I am impressed with NAD's transparency, especially with music. Better recordings and higher-res versions of the same album sound better, just as they should.

Guess I do have one more question. I don't use REW but my SVS sub is wireless so I did the sub-crawl pre-Dirac. As with my previous Marantz/Adcom combo, the best location for my sub per my ear is behind my sofa, the main listening position. However post Dirac I do have localization issues with certain music tracks. Would you guys be of the opinion that moving it to the front of the room and allowing Dirac to "clean it up" may be a better option?

For some music and all TV/movie watching the current location is fine. I know I can simply move it and re-run Dirac using an unused slot to compare but I thought I'd ask first.

Interestingly, when I look at the Dirac results (using target curves) the delay is the exact same at 25 ms for all seven of my channels. 0 for my sub (I think.... going off memory). Is that normal?

Just pondering things this morning I suppose so thanks for indulging my curiosity.

Trevor

I’m no expert, but my localization issues have typically been related to frequency and level. I played around with near field subs for a bit and found that the higher I moved the crossover, and the more I increased the sub volume (actual output, not just relative level) the more I could localize the sub.

A combination of lower crossover and reduced volume helped.

Simply stated, I found that I had to reduce the crossover frequency the louder I wanted to play the sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8912 of 10212 Old 06-26-2019, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1432 Post(s)
Liked: 1867
Quote:
Just a quick question and a comment or two. I still have ARC issues, if I switch to another source and go back to Roku via my TCL TV, I don't get any sound until i turn off and unplug my unit. Suggestions? Up to date Monoprice HDMI cable, followed directions to the tee for HDMI Stand By set up etc. Thanks.

Disable "BluOS/CEC/LAN in Standby"
sb01gt likes this.
post #8913 of 10212 Old 06-26-2019, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardsim7 View Post
I must admit I have this set - and this allows HDMI pass-thru for my TIVO box to my LG OLED, which is quite handy if you just want TV sound for the news etc.

For HDMI switching issues I changed HDMI cables, etc and found that setting my TIVO to output 1080p instead of 2160p solved most of the issues. This is ok for me as most TV in the UK is HD and on the rare occasion that it is broadcast in 4k UHD (e.g. Tennis, Football, etc) I can manually set to 2160p and revert back to 1080p when that broadcast is over.

I must admit if your source is 4k then this is not an option - George

Spoiler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8914 of 10212 Old 06-26-2019, 09:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Yeah, that solution isn´t working anymore, since the last update. Not to mention the speaker setup resetting to factory settings every power cycle, including DIRAC. Opened a ticket with NAD 4 days ago and no news from them whatsoever.

I have a NAD T758v3 for sale, if anyone is interested. No ARC, no bluetooth, no DIRAC, no support. But it sounds great...
pixphipau and Jan3 like this.
post #8915 of 10212 Old 06-26-2019, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhattan View Post
Yeah, that solution isn´t working anymore, since the last update. Not to mention the speaker setup resetting to factory settings every power cycle, including DIRAC.

Weird, mine's working fine
post #8916 of 10212 Old 06-26-2019, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

NAD 758 v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhattan View Post
. Opened a ticket with NAD 4 days ago and no news from them whatsoever.

I opened a support ticket nearly a week ago and no response. Even a polite “we’re swamped but will get to you soon” would be good. The support acknowledgement just says “we will endeavor to get back to you as quickly as possible...”
post #8917 of 10212 Old 06-26-2019, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Try calling them, might have better luck that way
post #8918 of 10212 Old 06-26-2019, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by trpltongue View Post
I’m no expert, but my localization issues have typically been related to frequency and level. I played around with near field subs for a bit and found that the higher I moved the crossover, and the more I increased the sub volume (actual output, not just relative level) the more I could localize the sub.

A combination of lower crossover and reduced volume helped.

Simply stated, I found that I had to reduce the crossover frequency the louder I wanted to play the sub.
Thanks and I can see how that would factor in. I'd like to set it, calibrate it and basically forget it, even if I need to set listening profiles. Will play around it as time allows, thanks for the suggestion. trying to not overwork my little Motion LX-16 5 1/4 woofers too.....

Arcam AVR850 - Polk Audio LSIM707 - LSiM706c - LSiM703 - 700-LS ceiling Atmos speakers - Sony UBP-X700 - TCL 65R615
post #8919 of 10212 Old 06-26-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Weird, mine's working fine
I'm going to try that richardsim7, thanks.

Weird on your's resetting xhatten, that's a new one!

Arcam AVR850 - Polk Audio LSIM707 - LSiM706c - LSiM703 - 700-LS ceiling Atmos speakers - Sony UBP-X700 - TCL 65R615
post #8920 of 10212 Old 06-26-2019, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Try calling them, might have better luck that way

Yeah, I’m going to give them a call once I get back stateside.
post #8921 of 10212 Old 06-26-2019, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
I'm going to try that richardsim7, thanks.

Weird on your's resetting xhatten, that's a new one!

Did several factory resetting on both the amp and BluOs and this noon the resetting issue seems to have been solved, crossing fingers. However, ARC, Blutooth and 4K not passing through issues persists. We´ll see what NAD has to say about it. Problem is I´m living in South America and NAD has no center anywhere nearby, so I must solve it without sending the darn thing for repair.
post #8922 of 10212 Old 06-26-2019, 08:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
If by Height 1 you mean front height, then that should work. You can assign the rear height OR surround back to an internal amp.

The cheaper option is to just get a stereo amp with gain knob for the front heights: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B077GWVHHN/
Another option, if you are still building your system, is to just use a couple pairs of Mackie MR524s or JBL 305s as heights, unless they are too big.

Edit: I know this is kind of a crazy idea, but it would work. I probably wouldn't personally, when I can get the Ascend HTM-200 SE for the same price, and have a 2" thinner speaker, that only requires speaker wire. That compared to a 2" deeper speaker that needs a power cable and signal (RCA or XLR). Maybe in a dedicated theater with in-wall wiring that could be a really cool option.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Polk LSiM 702 F/X (2) | Infinity RS152 (4) | Subs TBD (2)
PC: Micca OriGen G2 | Mackie MR624 (2)

Last edited by Soulburner; 06-26-2019 at 10:58 PM.
post #8923 of 10212 Old 06-27-2019, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 36
here the answer from NAD Support , for the question about the Speaker Volume after the Dirac Calibration :

"With the way Dirac calibration is handled it seems unlikely that we will be able to adjust the volume after calibration has been completed as the calibration uses the volume values to configure the Dirac room correction. Changing these values would require all the filter to be configured again from the ground up. With that being said, this is a limitation of Dirac itself and not the T777 V3 so it may be best to reach out to Dirac directly to discuss this further and see if they can implement this feature in their application in the future.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let me know."
Soulburner likes this.
post #8924 of 10212 Old 06-27-2019, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKK101 View Post
here the answer from NAD Support , for the question about the Speaker Volume after the Dirac Calibration :

"With the way Dirac calibration is handled it seems unlikely that we will be able to adjust the volume after calibration has been completed as the calibration uses the volume values to configure the Dirac room correction. Changing these values would require all the filter to be configured again from the ground up. With that being said, this is a limitation of Dirac itself and not the T777 V3 so it may be best to reach out to Dirac directly to discuss this further and see if they can implement this feature in their application in the future.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let me know."
Is this the loud after pause issue? If so, sounds like a bit of smoke and mirrors. We have volume issues too, particularly when the codec changes moving from surround to PCM from the TV.
post #8925 of 10212 Old 06-27-2019, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arad85 View Post
Is this the loud after pause issue? If so, sounds like a bit of smoke and mirrors. We have volume issues too, particularly when the codec changes moving from surround to PCM from the TV.

I think they're talking about max volume of the AVR, it changes when you enable Dirac
post #8926 of 10212 Old 06-27-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
I think they're talking about max volume of the AVR, it changes when you enable Dirac
And with codec. EDIT: But then I'd expect that as it has to boost some frequencies so has to make sure there is no clipping.

I sent this question to Dirac last night., As yet to recieve an answer:

Quote:

Hi,

I have a NAD T758V3. I also have the full version of Dirac which has been calibrated with a UMIK1. ALL my audio inputs are digital (I do not use analogue into the amp at all). I have 4 speakers connected (front x 2, surround x 2). I'm not sure if this request should be directed to you guys or NAD but...

When I select an input which has been Dirac'd, I have a maximum volume level that is dependent upon the codec in use and whether there is an input to the selected digital channel (my media centre is a PC and closes the HDMI audio path when there is no audio to output).

When I have absolutely no audio output in the connected device (via HDMI) the maximum volume level is +7dB

When I have a Dolby Digital stream or a PCM stream playing, the maximum volume level is -3dB

When I have a Dolby Digital+ stream playing, the maximum volume is -9dB.

I haven't tried other streams, but suspect that maximum volume will also be variable. Generally, I can get the system loud enough, but there are variations between loud and soft - even without switching inputs.

I am trying to understand what is happening here. Are you able to help me understand?
richardsim7 likes this.
post #8927 of 10212 Old 06-27-2019, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1474 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:

Does this mean that if I calibrated my room at -20 (for example) and I listen to movies or music at -15 or -30 it won’t be accurate or follow the filter properly? I definetly guess this means I can’t adjust the sub gain after calibration either 😞

Sony 75Z9D, Samsung 65JS9500
Monitor Audio Gold 200(2), Gold 350, Gold 50(2), Gold CT280-IDC(4). SVS PC4000(2).
NAD 758, Anthem MCA-5
Apple TV 4K, Nvidea Shield. Mac Mini (2018). Samsung UHD BluRay and X-Box One X. 14 Sonos
post #8928 of 10212 Old 06-27-2019, 10:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:

This doesn't make sense. We are just talking about adjusting individual channel trim levels, right? If so, that should not be affecting Dirac's frequency or time filters. It would only affect balance and relative volume between channels, which is exactly what you're trying to accomplish, right?. I mean, Dirac reports the trims the AVR should set so that all speakers would play a test tone at the listening position at exactly the same SPL. So in that sense you're messing up the calibration by changing trim levels, but if you're the sort of person that wants agressive surrounds, the only part of the calibration you're trying to change is relative balance. No other part of the calibration should be affected. You're hearing those surrounds the same way, just at a higher volume.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
cpoole17 likes this.

System
Transducers: Revel Concerta2 F36 (3), M16 (4); Tannoy AMS 6DC (4); Rythmik F18 (2)
Front end: NAD T758 v3; Outlaw Model 7125
Sources: Panasonic UB820; Oppo BDP-103; Toshiba HD-A2
Projection: JVC DLA-RS440; Seymour CenterStage UF retractable 110" 2.35:1

post #8929 of 10212 Old 06-28-2019, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Dirac Live issues after the firmware update should have been fixed by the latest 2.2.3 update:
https://live.dirac.com/download/

Flavio

Warning: My posts might be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)
post #8930 of 10212 Old 06-28-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flax View Post
Dirac Live issues after the firmware update should have been fixed by the latest 2.2.3 update:

Flavio
Hi Flavio,

Thanks for this, but do you mean only those that have been introduced when you move to 2.2.2? If so, are there any "must have" fixes?
post #8931 of 10212 Old 06-28-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Hi Flavio,

Thanks for this, but do you mean only those that have been introduced when you move to 2.2.2? If so, are there any "must have" fixes?

Hi arad85,
a number of fixes and some minor improvements are present in version 2.2.3 so everybody should possibly update to 2.2.3, here the details:
https://live.dirac.com/changelog/
arad85, neo_2009 and SteveC356 like this.

Warning: My posts might be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)
post #8932 of 10212 Old 06-28-2019, 12:07 PM

Thank you Sir!
post #8933 of 10212 Old 06-28-2019, 08:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1474 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Quote:
And with codec. EDIT: But then I'd expect that as it has to boost some frequencies so has to make sure there is no clipping.

I sent this question to Dirac last night., As yet to recieve an answer:

Quote:

Hi,

I have a NAD T758V3. I also have the full version of Dirac which has been calibrated with a UMIK1. ALL my audio inputs are digital (I do not use analogue into the amp at all). I have 4 speakers connected (front x 2, surround x 2). I'm not sure if this request should be directed to you guys or NAD but...

When I select an input which has been Dirac'd, I have a maximum volume level that is dependent upon the codec in use and whether there is an input to the selected digital channel (my media centre is a PC and closes the HDMI audio path when there is no audio to output).

When I have absolutely no audio output in the connected device (via HDMI) the maximum volume level is +7dB

When I have a Dolby Digital stream or a PCM stream playing, the maximum volume level is -3dB

When I have a Dolby Digital+ stream playing, the maximum volume is -9dB.

I haven't tried other streams, but suspect that maximum volume will also be variable. Generally, I can get the system loud enough, but there are variations between loud and soft - even without switching inputs.

I am trying to understand what is happening here. Are you able to help me understand?
Maybe this answers why the Dolby atmos demos played through my shield is not as loud as the same files played through my Xbox even though they are both played through a USB

Sony 75Z9D, Samsung 65JS9500
Monitor Audio Gold 200(2), Gold 350, Gold 50(2), Gold CT280-IDC(4). SVS PC4000(2).
NAD 758, Anthem MCA-5
Apple TV 4K, Nvidea Shield. Mac Mini (2018). Samsung UHD BluRay and X-Box One X. 14 Sonos
post #8934 of 10212 Old 06-28-2019, 11:26 PM

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

Other comments are everything else works great; BluOS, Ethernet connection, full Dirac calibration...... I am impressed with NAD's transparency, especially with music. Better recordings and higher-res versions of the same album sound better, just as they should.
Quote:

I have a similar issue with my Panasonic OLED. Because of the ARC issue, normally the sound settings in the TV have two options- TV speakers or home theater. Those options disappear from the menu for some reason, and I can still get audio when playing off my 4k player, or fire stick 4k (although I lose the ability to control volume on the remote), but I won't be able to get sound if I want to play anything off internal TV apps/media player unless I unplug the NAD completely and plug it back in.

I do have the option richard mentioned enabled, so I will disable that and see if I still have issues in this department over the next couple days.

Panasonic EZ1000 65" OLED / Panasonic DMP UB400 / NAD T758v3 / Nvidia Shield TV
5.1.2 speaker setup - KEF R300 / R600c / Q50a / Focal Chorus SR800V / HSU ULS-15 mk2
post #8935 of 10212 Old 06-28-2019, 11:36 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

Flavio
Thank you so much! Uploading error fixed and I can finally enjoy the GUI again on my MacBook Pro. Works flawlessly!

TV: Panasonic 65DXW904 || Receiver: NAD T758 V3 || Console: Sony PS4, Nintendo Switch || Front: Dynaudio Special Forty || Rear: Canton GLE 410 || Sub: Klipsch R-115 SW
post #8936 of 10212 Old 06-29-2019, 05:05 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Hi arad85,
a number of fixes and some minor improvements are present in version 2.2.3 so everybody should possibly update to 2.2.3, here the details:
https://live.dirac.com/changelog/
Still says measurements were made with a different component than the T758.
post #8937 of 10212 Old 06-29-2019, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotheads View Post
Still says measurements were made with a different component than the T758.

Would you please report with details here?
http://helpdesk.dirac.se/

Thanks, Flavio
richardsim7 likes this.

post #8938 of 10212 Old 06-30-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb01gt View Post
I have a similar issue with my Panasonic OLED. Because of the ARC issue, normally the sound settings in the TV have two options- TV speakers or home theater. Those options disappear from the menu for some reason, and I can still get audio when playing off my 4k player, or fire stick 4k (although I lose the ability to control volume on the remote), but I won't be able to get sound if I want to play anything off internal TV apps/media player unless I unplug the NAD completely and plug it back in.

I do have the option richard mentioned enabled, so I will disable that and see if I still have issues in this department over the next couple days.
Please let me know what you come up with, settings and successes. I am still having issues too and don't want to switch to optical cable as I watch Atmos content via apps.

post #8939 of 10212 Old 06-30-2019, 08:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 3502 Post(s)
Liked: 1958
I just want say that tonight I fired up my T758v3 with my tablet using the Bluesound app, listened to music for a time while displaying the info on my TV, then switched to cable TV with no issues at all.

Love this thing.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Office: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red. Guest room: Hafler 300 L-R, KEF Reference Model 100 center, KEF iQ10 surrounds, modded M&K V-90 sub, Bluesound Vault 2.
post #8940 of 10212 Old 07-01-2019, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
I just want say that tonight I fired up my T758v3 with my tablet using the Bluesound app, listened to music for a time while displaying the info on my TV, then switched to cable TV with no issues at all.

Love this thing.
Love mine too, however I have never had issues switching between sources except for when ARC comes into play. In your scenario none of the sources require ARC utilization.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page