Official Yamaha RX-V*83 Owners Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 983Likes

post #61 of 792 Old 10-19-2017, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by ataneruo View Post
While I agree with your outrage, and it took me a lot of research to come to the same conclusion, you aren’t reading the text like a lawyer.

The first paragraph merely says that Dolby Vision provides certain features, and that the AVR is DV-compatible - it does NOT say that the AVR actually provides DV.

Unfortunately these paragraphs are meant to obfuscate the truth. But they are so strongly written it gives me hope that Yamaha will be compelled to follow through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I just pulled the trigger on the TSR-5830 from Costco since it was on sale and I thought I had all my bases covered after looking at the website but your saying this only supports hdr10 currently?

LG 65 B7A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 792 Old 10-19-2017, 03:23 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by hingerson View Post
So I just pulled the trigger on the TSR-5830 from Costco since it was on sale and I thought I had all my bases covered after looking at the website but your saying this only supports hdr10 currently?

That is exactly correct. We are awaiting a DV firmware update promised “by the end of the year”.

post #63 of 792 Old 10-19-2017, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by ataneruo View Post
That is exactly correct. We are awaiting a DV firmware update promised “by the end of the year”.

Well that's disappointing I think I'll keep it still though, I love Yamaha receivers if I need to I'll just use the TV apps on my LG for Dolby vision and just pass thru the audio

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ataneruo likes this.

LG 65 B7A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 792 Old 10-19-2017, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 159
I agree. I feel having 4K HDR pass-through is satisfactory right now and we will have DV pass through by the time the kinks have been worked out.

post #65 of 792 Old 10-21-2017, 08:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Can I use Zone 2 preout for external Amp for lets say, FR and FL ?
post #66 of 792 Old 10-22-2017, 07:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi Guys,

I just got my TSR-5830 from Costco, I did the sound setup and I can use the Dolby Surround (Atmos) or Neutral DTS:X when output any sounds from TV but if I plugin my XBOX one S into the TSR-5830 directly and play any 4K movies (ATMOS or DTS:X), I am not able to displaying ATMOS or DTS:X when I select INFO but I could see it in my older Denon. Seems it could only display either Dolby HD or DTS HD now, is there anything I am missing or I should play around with the configuration?

Last edited by shyko; 10-22-2017 at 07:43 PM.
post #67 of 792 Old 10-24-2017, 11:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi Guys,

Newbie here, so please be gentle.

I've just purchase the RX-V683 to compliment my LG OLED 65C7T TV .
How do you know if Dolby Atmos is working/configured correctly. Nothing comes up on the receiver that says Atmos when I recently watched Skull Island via PS4Pro which has Dolby Atmos I was able to select this in the settings.
Info however showed Dolby TrueHD ?

I've got ARC from Receiver to TV, with PS4 Pro and Foxtel Box hooked into the receiver with 5.1.2 setup (2 ceiling speakers).

I thought I've setup properly but obviously not.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers
post #68 of 792 Old 10-25-2017, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Greetings.

Just replaced my faithful old Kenwood VR-6060 with a RX-V483. I have a RX-V467 in another room, so transitioning wasn't a huge mental leap. I'm using this opportunity to rearrange things, pare down on cables and devices, and generally spruce things up. The concept has passed the WAF test; in fact, she's encouraging it (must want something... ) One device I'd like to do away with is an old Monoprice HDMI switch. I've read and am re-reading the RX-V483's manual, but can't find an answer to this question:

Can I watch an HDMI input (Cable TV via a Ceton InfiniTV-4 in one of two PCs) while listening to the audio from the other PC which will be connected to Audio 1 (optical)? Additionally, the TV PC's coax out will be in Audio 2, if all goes well.

Currently I've got the non-TV PC and the RX-V483's HDMI Out going into the Monoprice switch, and out to one of the TV's two HDMI inputs. The TV PC is going directly to the other input. One downside of the Monoprice switch is that a non-active signal from the PC causes said PC's screen resolution to switch from 1920x1080 to some lower VGA res. Since I don't really use the on-screen ability of the RX-V483, the non-TV PC is kept active on the Monoprice switch. If I want to see the RX-V483 on the TV (by switching inputs on the Monoprice), that PC's screen res. changes.

A secondary question, which will likely determine whether or not I use the RX-V483's built-in HDMI switch is, Will the PCs be able to keep their 1920x1080 resolutions when switching between them?

Another device I plan to get rid of is an Inday digital audio switch, which works like a champ. It currently takes both PCs' audio outs and sends them to the RX-V483's Audio 1. Centralizing the RX-V483 and moving a PC will allow for direct audio connections to the AVR.

That's the scenario. Obviously I can continue with the current setup, but I'd like to get it right the first time while rearranging, since it will be harder to get to the back of the RX-V483 (and everything behind it: UPSes, etc.) once the move and cleanup are done.

I see the "Standby Through" function in the manual, but it's not clear if that will accomplish what I'm after. Any input or ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by ThurstonX; 10-25-2017 at 08:27 AM.
post #69 of 792 Old 10-25-2017, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked: 1068
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurstonX View Post
Greetings.

Just replaced my faithful old Kenwood VR-6060 with a RX-V483. I have a RX-V467 in another room, so transitioning wasn't a huge mental leap. I'm using this opportunity to rearrange things, pare down on cables and devices, and generally spruce things up. The concept has passed the WAF test; in fact, she's encouraging it (must want something... ) One device I'd like to do away with is an old Monoprice HDMI switch. I've read and am re-reading the RX-V483's manual, but can't find an answer to this question:

Can I watch an HDMI input (Cable TV via a Ceton InfiniTV-4 in one of two PCs) while listening to the audio from the other PC which will be connected to Audio 1 (optical)? Additionally, the TV PC's coax out will be in Audio 2, if all goes well....
Select the "Video Out" for that source. Check your manual, p. 77, for details. RTFM FTW.

Not sure what you mean by your second question. The two PCs should be able to remain on their currently configured resolution if your TV will support it.

"Sell crazy some place else -- we're all stocked up here."
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
post #70 of 792 Old 10-25-2017, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
Select the "Video Out" for that source. Check your manual, p. 77, for details. RTFM FTW.

Not sure what you mean by your second question. The two PCs should be able to remain on their currently configured resolution if your TV will support it.
Brilliant! Thank you! I had to start working, as it was a huge job, so I had to stop RTFM Once I got the AVR in place and wired up, I tested the built-in switch and had no problem switching between the two PCs while maintaining 1920x1080. My Monoprice switch is really old, so I'm not surprised it can't maintain 1920x1080 when switched to a different input. Other than that it works fine. Using it now. And I was pretty sure Yamaha wouldn't have lost that basic function of a digital audio in paired with an HDMI in.

I'll hook it up tomorrow and let 'er rip.

You're an absolute mensch for RTFM for me
Cheers!
post #71 of 792 Old 10-28-2017, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just installed the TSR 5830 to replace an old Kenwood. Using HDMI cable from HTPC to amplifier and HDMI cable from amp to HDTV.
Need help/suggestions to resolve the following :
"DTS" is not shown on the amp display.
Unable to control volume of amp via mouse on my HDTV screen (movie being played has a volume control on tool bar)
post #72 of 792 Old 10-29-2017, 05:17 AM

Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by slammin58 View Post
Hi Guys,

How do you know if Dolby Atmos is working/configured correctly. Nothing comes up on the receiver that says Atmos when I recently watched Skull Island via PS4Pro which has Dolby Atmos I was able to select this in the settings.

I've got ARC from Receiver to TV, with PS4 Pro and Foxtel Box hooked into the receiver with 5.1.2 setup (2 ceiling speakers).

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Option->Signal Info

Only Straight and Dolby Surround DSP modes will give you Atmos
Only Straight and Neural:X DSP modes will give you DTS:X

Download the AV Controller app on your smartphone or tablet. That's how I do most of my controlling these days.

post #73 of 792 Old 10-29-2017, 05:19 AM

Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelerone View Post
Just installed the TSR 5830 to replace an old Kenwood. Using HDMI cable from HTPC to amplifier and HDMI cable from amp to HDTV.
Need help/suggestions to resolve the following :
"DTS" is not shown on the amp display.
Unable to control volume of amp via mouse on my HDTV screen (movie being played has a volume control on tool bar)

I believe CEC is the only way to control receiver volume from another device. Does your HTPC support CEC?

Option -> Signal Info doesn't show DTS? Does it show PCM?

ChromeJob likes this.
post #74 of 792 Old 10-30-2017, 03:37 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by animeking View Post
Option->Signal Info

Only Straight and Dolby Surround DSP modes will give you Atmos
Only Straight and Neural:X DSP modes will give you DTS:X

Download the AV Controller app on your smartphone or tablet. That's how I do most of my controlling these days.

Thanks mate, I’ll try in those modes only.
PS: I do have the AV Controlleron my iPa, very useful app.
Cheers
post #75 of 792 Old 11-01-2017, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Hi Guys,

Any help appreciated.

Cheers
You need to make sure your PS4 is set to bitstream Dolby. The default is PCM, so go into your audio output settings and select bitstream. Additionally, the first time I played a Blu-ray after doing this I still wasn't outputting Atmos to my 683. There is an additional settings menu inside the Blu-ray application that has to be configured as well. When the Blu-ray is playing hit the Options button on your controller and select Settings. Change the audio format to Bitstream (Direct). That should get you going.

Also, as Animeking suggested, you need to set your 683 to Straight for it to decode Atmos.
post #76 of 792 Old 11-02-2017, 03:52 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just picked up a 683 to replace my older Harmon Kardon. Super happy with it, sounds great.

One thing that I really liked about my old HK was that you could set a format priority. Basically if it was a decodable format like DD or dts it would run that straight, but when playing a 2 channel source, it would apply Neo or one of the other sound fields to utilize all the speakers.

On the Yamaha, it doesn't appear that I can do this. If I set a dsp, it applies that to anything playing over that input which I don't want.

Also, I can't really seem to find those option either. The DSPs have hall, 7channel, etc. But can't find where or if you can use neo or pl2 on 2channel sources.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
post #77 of 792 Old 11-03-2017, 03:44 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschweg View Post
I just picked up a 683 to replace my older Harmon Kardon. Super happy with it, sounds great.

One thing that I really liked about my old HK was that you could set a format priority. Basically if it was a decodable format like DD or dts it would run that straight, but when playing a 2 channel source, it would apply Neo or one of the other sound fields to utilize all the speakers.

On the Yamaha, it doesn't appear that I can do this. If I set a dsp, it applies that to anything playing over that input which I don't want.

Also, I can't really seem to find those option either. The DSPs have hall, 7channel, etc. But can't find where or if you can use neo or pl2 on 2channel sources.

Figured this out. It's just not selectable through the OSD, have to use the sur decode button on the remote to cycle through the decoders

post #78 of 792 Old 11-03-2017, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The owners manual is full of goodies like this, just waiting to be discovered. You can download a copy to a tablet or computer to read online, even. (See post no. 1 .)
post #79 of 792 Old 11-05-2017, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlinrl View Post
You need to make sure your PS4 is set to bitstream Dolby. The default is PCM, so go into your audio output settings and select bitstream. Additionally, the first time I played a Blu-ray after doing this I still wasn't outputting Atmos to my 683. There is an additional settings menu inside the Blu-ray application that has to be configured as well. When the Blu-ray is playing hit the Options button on your controller and select Settings. Change the audio format to Bitstream (Direct). That should get you going.

Also, as Animeking suggested, you need to set your 683 to Straight for it to decode Atmos.
Thanks mate, I’ve tried both of those but Atmos still doesn’t show up, only Dolby TrueHD.
Weird as movie I can select Atmos just can’t see it anywhere 😕
Don’t get me wrong the sound through my speakers is great just expecting Atmos to see if any difference.
post #80 of 792 Old 11-05-2017, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschweg View Post
Figured this out. It's just not selectable through the OSD, have to use the sur decode button on the remote to cycle through the decoders

Hi mate, recommend downloading the AV Controller app as suggested by the gents that replied to my question.
Cheers
ChromeJob likes this.
post #81 of 792 Old 11-05-2017, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks mate, I’ve tried both of those but Atmos still doesn’t show up, only Dolby TrueHD.
Weird as movie I can select Atmos just can’t see it anywhere 😕
Don’t get me wrong the sound through my speakers is great just expecting Atmos to see if any difference.
Generally you CAN do this with the onscreen display for most Yamaha AVRs, I concur, using teh SUR DECODE button on the remote, or using the iOS or Android AV Controller app are the quickest. OR ... Program the desired decoder into the a Scene button for that device input.

Scenes are great features. With HDMI-CEC enabled, hitting one will turn on all the related components (e.g. Apple TV, TV, as well as AVR).

"Sell crazy some place else -- we're all stocked up here."
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
post #82 of 792 Old 11-07-2017, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just got my xbox one x and connected it to my yamaha rx-v583,
rx-v583 is connected to my sony KD-55XE9005 (us name X900E)
Everything in the xbox menu 4K TV details says ok, but when switching to 4K UHD
the picture disappears and later a message from xbox saying 4k is not supported.
Plugged in the xbox directly into the TV hdmi port and everything works fine,
but that will kill the Dolby Atmos support.
4k mode is set to 1 in the advanced setup menu.
What could be the problem ?
------------------------------------------------------
Edit:
Found the problem, the Hdmi cable from receiver to Tv was bad, new cable and everything worked fine .

Last edited by Blomman00; 11-08-2017 at 10:50 AM.
post #83 of 792 Old 11-11-2017, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I have a quick question. The manual doesn't explain it very well. In the standby through settings, what is the difference between On and Auto? Auto would seem to mean that it would automatically sense the signal and switch to that input, but after some rgeading other sites' posts, that doesn't seem to be the case. That would really be a nice feature to save button pressing every time you watch a different input. Any good explanations or experience on this? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by grhickey; 11-11-2017 at 04:17 PM.
post #84 of 792 Old 11-11-2017, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhickey View Post
I have a quick question. The manual doesn't explain it very well. In the standby through settings, what is the difference between On and Auto? Auto would seem to mean that it would automatically sense the signal and switch to that input, but after some rgeading other sites' posts, that doesn't seem to be the case. That would really be a nice feature to save button pressing every time you watch a different input. Any good explanations or experience on this? Thanks in advance!
I'd have to RTFM. And to do that,... which model do you have?
post #85 of 792 Old 11-11-2017, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
I'd have to RTFM. And to do that,... which model do you have?
I have the RX- V583. I had an RX-V675 and the only options were on or off.

Last edited by grhickey; 11-11-2017 at 06:27 PM.
post #86 of 792 Old 11-12-2017, 11:30 AM

Another question about the 583 When listening to music on a USB thumb drive, when I switch to USB, it auto plays the last song I was listening to. On the old 675 I had, it would just bring up the music folder list. Is this by function, or is there a way to disable it from auto playing? Thanks in advance!
post #87 of 792 Old 11-13-2017, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tsr-5830

Hi All,

Just installed my Costco TSR-5830 over the weekend. Sounds great so far. I have had a couple of issues that I was wondering if anyone could help me out on.

1)
On Screen/TV volume control does not seem to work on only one of my inputs; HDMI input 1 connected to a (Motorola) DirectTV DVR/STB; on-screen volume works fine for the other two inputs I am using (HDMI input 2 for PS4 and Bluetooth)

2)
At times Bluetooth input cuts out for a moment. It's random and so far if I switch back and forth between Bluetooth and one of the HDMI inputs, the issue no longer persists when I switch back to Bluetooth. Same issue with multiple devices... any ideas to correct and/or should I be worried?

3) (Not a problem, and more so just a general recommendation)
I have 7 speakers but really only have room for 5. I do not even have an Atmos capable player currently, nor do I have the ability to put the speakers in the middle of the listening/viewing area near the ceiling. I can put the extra 2 speakers up higher, but even to my front L & R and Center channels. Would you got his route if you are me, or would you use the speakers elsewhere? I guess my question is how are the ".2" extra speakers used in a 5.1.2 set up, on movies that do not have the Atmos format?

Thanks in advance for any help.
post #88 of 792 Old 11-14-2017, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi. First message here.

Just bought A V-383, my first Yamaha. Coming from a Sony in-a-box (SS380). I´m getting used to it, but some issues are poping. Hope you could help.

1 - Display: The Sony display shows many info at the same time. Ex. Source, Soundfield, decoder, etc. I noticed that in Yamaha I have to choose one of the informations to display at one time using the button Info. And this button is missing on the controller, it´s only on the receiver front panel. Is that right? I mean, c´mon! No chance I can see decoder (DTS HD as an example) and the effect (MOVIE SCIFI as an example) at the same time? And even worse: if I choose to change the info I have to go to the unit to press the Info button?

2 - I couldn´t find any reference to standby passthrough. I guess it doesn´work on 383. My fault here, cause I thought any receiver would do this.

3 - I´m facing issues on HDMI CEC/Bravia Sync with my Sony XBR-900E. It seems they don´t get along. The TV seems to not know when to send the audio to the receiver or to it´s own speakers. Last night I was watching a movie on Netflix (TV app) and the TV wouldn´t send the audio (HDMI ARC) to the receiver. I forced that option on TVs settings and it worked. But some minutes later the TV showed a message saying that the "external sound system wasn´t available" and than changed again to selfspeakers.

Thanks for any help.
post #89 of 792 Old 11-16-2017, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I just hooked up our RX-V483 and am delighted with the ease of setup and functionality. One question: is there a way to change the relative volume display to something other than a reading in dB? What I mean is, can the volume level be displayed in just arbitrary numbers from 1-20 or something like that? I don't find the dB display to be very intuitive.
post #90 of 792 Old 11-16-2017, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPeteTO View Post
I just hooked up our RX-V483 and am delighted with the ease of setup and functionality. One question: is there a way to change the relative volume display to something other than a reading in dB? What I mean is, can the volume level be displayed in just arbitrary numbers from 1-20 or something like that? I don't find the dB display to be very intuitive.
On my TSR-5830, the setting you seek can be found in Setup -> Sound -> Volume -> Scale -> [0-97].
ChromeJob likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
5.1.2 , arc , atmos , auto , cec , control , google play music , hdmi , headphone jack , headphone line out , musiccast , noise , rx-v383 , setup , sound modes , switching , Yamaha , yamaha tsr 5830

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page