Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 07-25-2017, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Replacing Bose Lifestyle 25

Hi there,

I would like to replace our Bose Lifestyle 25 receiver. The receiver is old, the display doesn't work, there is not output for a sub, or inputs for new cables like HDMI.

The issue is the house is wired with Bose and I'm not sure I can replace the receiver to a different one. Currently, there are two zones (indoor/outdoor). They are connected to the receiver with an 8-PIN DIN cable. It will be very challenging to replace these cables as one of them is built into the house. While the other connects to an amp?

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to replace the receiver? I'd like one with new inputs and that I can actually read. Plus, a better sounding receiver.

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-25-2017, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1656 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Replacing Bose Lifestyle 25

You'll hear many peeps on here say scrap all your Bose equipment & speakers and start over!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Denon X4300H * Def Tech BP8080st front L/R * Def Tech CLR2002 center * Def Tech ProMonitor 800 surrounds (x4) * Hsu VTF-3 MK5 HP sub * Outlaw OAW4 wireless sub kit * Vizio 60" 4K HDRtv * Sony UBP-X800 Bluray * PS4 * AC Infinity S9 AVR fan
post #3 of 10 Old 07-25-2017, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconsfan71 View Post
You'll hear many peeps on here say scrap all your Bose equipment & speakers and start over!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well the receiver needs to be replaced anyways. It's barely functional. Would like one with more of the current features/outputs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 07-25-2017, 09:28 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 269
If I remember correctly, those speakers don't have your typical speaker wire connectors (spring clips or binding posts) on the back either. But like the receiver accept an 8 or 13 pin connector. So unless you do replace your entire system (like @Falconsfan71 said), you'll just have to try to find another Bose Lifestyle 25 receiver.

If that's all you want to do, then here are a couple of suggestions.
1. Look on eBay or any other used market seller for a used/refurb'd receiver.
2. See if Bose sells newer receivers that accept the old speaker connections.
3. Look for some wire conversion; a way to plug your old Bose wires in to non-Bose receiver

Unsolicited advice time...
I'd look at changing everything out. The cost to find an old Lifestyle 25 receiver would probably cover the cost of a refurb'd receiver on Accessories4Less and a speaker or two. You will also find better sound in some larger, non-Bose speakers.

Hope this helps!

Samsung 55" JS8500
7.1 Setup:
Onkyo TX-NR646, Chane A1.4 & A2.4 (LCR), Yamaha NS-IC600 surr, TDG Audio NFC-61 back surr, SVS SB-2000
Samsung K8500, Roku Premiere+ and Roku 2, Harmony 650
post #5 of 10 Old 07-25-2017, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 250 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10102 Post(s)
Liked: 7101
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank966 View Post
Hi there,

I would like to replace our Bose Lifestyle 25 receiver. The receiver is old, the display doesn't work, there is not output for a sub, or inputs for new cables like HDMI.

The issue is the house is wired with Bose and I'm not sure I can replace the receiver to a different one. Currently, there are two zones (indoor/outdoor). They are connected to the receiver with an 8-PIN DIN cable. It will be very challenging to replace these cables as one of them is built into the house. While the other connects to an amp?

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to replace the receiver? I'd like one with new inputs and that I can actually read. Plus, a better sounding receiver.

Thanks for your help!
I'd replace all the Bose speakers and get a similar small form factor speaker that works with any receiver unlike those Bose.

Orb Audio offer small form factor speakers if that is what you must have, (no real reason to take this opportunity to get larger but not huge speakers).

http://www.orbaudio.com/

I wouldn't buy a subwoofer from Orb though.

Focal "Little Birds" are small form factor if that is a must.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...peakers/1.html

Very inexpensive factory refurb receivers from A4L.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...ceivers/1.html

Another great speaker choice that is slightly larger than small form factor.

https://www.qacoustics.com/home-thea...r-package.html

Subwoofers:

$199 EMOTIVA BASX S8
$299 EMOTIVA BASX S10
$399 EMOTIVA BASX S12
$419 RBH I12 ON CLEARANCE =NO RETURNS
$423 HSU VTF 1 MK3
$500 SVS PB1000
$604 HSU VTF2 MK5

Geoff A. J., California
post #6 of 10 Old 07-26-2017, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfwilliams1 View Post
If I remember correctly, those speakers don't have your typical speaker wire connectors (spring clips or binding posts) on the back either. But like the receiver accept an 8 or 13 pin connector. So unless you do replace your entire system (like @Falconsfan71 said), you'll just have to try to find another Bose Lifestyle 25 receiver.

If that's all you want to do, then here are a couple of suggestions.
1. Look on eBay or any other used market seller for a used/refurb'd receiver.
2. See if Bose sells newer receivers that accept the old speaker connections.
3. Look for some wire conversion; a way to plug your old Bose wires in to non-Bose receiver

Unsolicited advice time...
I'd look at changing everything out. The cost to find an old Lifestyle 25 receiver would probably cover the cost of a refurb'd receiver on Accessories4Less and a speaker or two. You will also find better sound in some larger, non-Bose speakers.

Hope this helps!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
I'd replace all the Bose speakers and get a similar small form factor speaker that works with any receiver unlike those Bose.

Orb Audio offer small form factor speakers if that is what you must have, (no real reason to take this opportunity to get larger but not huge speakers).

http://www.orbaudio.com/

I wouldn't buy a subwoofer from Orb though.

Focal "Little Birds" are small form factor if that is a must.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...peakers/1.html

Very inexpensive factory refurb receivers from A4L.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...ceivers/1.html

Another great speaker choice that is slightly larger than small form factor.

https://www.qacoustics.com/home-thea...r-package.html

Subwoofers:

$199 EMOTIVA BASX S8
$299 EMOTIVA BASX S10
$399 EMOTIVA BASX S12
$419 RBH I12 ON CLEARANCE =NO RETURNS
$423 HSU VTF 1 MK3
$500 SVS PB1000
$604 HSU VTF2 MK5
I am testing this with a receiver I already have (JVC RX-554VBK)to see if a non-Bose receiver will work before purchasing a new receiver.

There are 6 rooms that have Bose speakers built into the ceiling and the volume is controlled by an in-wall volume gauge. The front speakers are Bose cubes which are also controlled by an in-wall gauge. These speakers are wired with traditional speaker wiring into Bose amps. The house has been wired with Bose product. Then there are also 2 outdoor Bose speakers. I know Bose may not be the product of choice, but this is what was included in the house.

I was able to use the speaker wiring for the outdoor speakers and successfully setup a "zone" with the receiver. So when I push speaker 2 on the receiver, the outdoor speakers turn on.

The issue I am running into is with the wiring for the speakers in the house. There are six wires (red, white, blue, orange, green, black) that were connected to a Bose RCA component in-wall plate. I think these were wired incorrectly, as the speakers were humming. I've fixed the humming by disconnecting the speaker wiring from the RCA component in-wall, and plugging the speaker wires directly into the receiver like such.

Receiver Speaker Wiring:
Left Negative (-) Black
Left Positive (+) Red
Right Negative (-) Green
Right Positive (+) White
Rear Negative (-) Blue
Rear Positive (+) Orange

The issue is that I can only get the front speakers next to the TV to work or the 6 built in speakers. If I change the Left/Right speaker wires then the speakers throughout the house work momentarily. Once I turn off the receiver, only the front or the 6 speakers work.

What do you suggest? How can I switch to a non-Bose Lifestyle system to a new receiver?
post #7 of 10 Old 07-26-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
I am testing this with a receiver I already have (JVC RX-554VBK)to see if a non-Bose receiver will work before purchasing a new receiver.

There are 6 rooms that have Bose speakers built into the ceiling and the volume is controlled by an in-wall volume gauge. The front speakers are Bose cubes which are also controlled by an in-wall gauge. These speakers are wired with traditional speaker wiring into Bose amps. The house has been wired with Bose product. Then there are also 2 outdoor Bose speakers. I know Bose may not be the product of choice, but this is what was included in the house.

I was able to use the speaker wiring for the outdoor speakers and successfully setup a "zone" with the receiver. So when I push speaker 2 on the receiver, the outdoor speakers turn on.

The issue I am running into is with the wiring for the speakers in the house. There are six wires (red, white, blue, orange, green, black) that were connected to a Bose RCA component in-wall plate. I think these were wired incorrectly, as the speakers were humming. I've fixed the humming by disconnecting the speaker wiring from the RCA component in-wall, and plugging the speaker wires directly into the receiver like such.

Receiver Speaker Wiring:
Left Negative (-) Black
Left Positive (+) Red
Right Negative (-) Green
Right Positive (+) White
Rear Negative (-) Blue
Rear Positive (+) Orange

The issue is that I can only get the front speakers next to the TV to work or the 6 built in speakers. If I change the Left/Right speaker wires then the speakers throughout the house work momentarily. Once I turn off the receiver, only the front or the 6 speakers work.

What do you suggest? How can I switch to a non-Bose Lifestyle system to a new receiver?
That is a complex issue that I think can only be "fixed" by talking to Bose and maybe having one of their authorized installers help you out to be honest.

Geoff A. J., California
post #8 of 10 Old 07-26-2017, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 269
^^^ Agreed.

Samsung 55" JS8500
7.1 Setup:
Onkyo TX-NR646, Chane A1.4 & A2.4 (LCR), Yamaha NS-IC600 surr, TDG Audio NFC-61 back surr, SVS SB-2000
Samsung K8500, Roku Premiere+ and Roku 2, Harmony 650
post #9 of 10 Old 07-26-2017, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
That is a complex issue that I think can only be "fixed" by talking to Bose and maybe having one of their authorized installers help you out to be honest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfwilliams1 View Post
^^^ Agreed.
If I connect the speaker wire from inside the wall to the Bose in-wall RCA component, then plug an RCA cord from the in-wall complement into the receiver the speakers work fine. However, there is a slight hum (which was there before with the Bose receiver and the reason I started this whole project).

With that in mind, how do I determine which one of these wires is supposed to be plug into the proper wire connector on the in-wall RCA component? I was just doing trial an error before...

Could the in-wall component serve as some signal to the speakers?
post #10 of 10 Old 07-26-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
If I connect the speaker wire from inside the wall to the Bose in-wall RCA component, then plug an RCA cord from the in-wall complement into the receiver the speakers work fine. However, there is a slight hum (which was there before with the Bose receiver and the reason I started this whole project).

With that in mind, how do I determine which one of these wires is supposed to be plug into the proper wire connector on the in-wall RCA component? I was just doing trial an error before...

Could the in-wall component serve as some signal to the speakers?
Really, you need a pro familiar with those speakers and proprietary amplification.

I don't think "any amp will" do with some Bose to be honest.

At the very least talk to Bose tech support.

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page