Denon AVR-X2000 & DirecTV HR24-500.... MAJOR PROBLEMS.... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-29-2017, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Denon AVR-X2000 & DirecTV HR24-500.... MAJOR PROBLEMS....

I'm at my wits end with this problem I'm having.

Let me preface this post by saying that I've had my Denon AVR-X2000 receiver since May of 2014 and I literally had ZERO problems between it and the DirecTV receiver (HR24-500).... that is until July of this year.

All of a sudden, the video and audio started cutting out and the screen would turn black and white snow, like the old days.

It's always been hooked up via HDMI... 1 HDMI out to my Samsung plasma, and 3' HDMI from DirecTV receiver to the Denon (which is ARC compatible).

It was getting so bad, the sound would just drop out completely on various channels on DirecTV. Then the video would freeze and I'd have to shut everything down.

When I started getting a 771 signal from the DirecTV receiver, I knew it was probably the satellite box.

So I called DirecTV out and had them replace the HD DVR with a brand new one.

Well that lasted all of 1 day. The same problem persisted and I had to call them back out again. This time I had them replace the entire coax line running from my attic to the living room (it was 15 years old and been beat by the sun on the west side of my home). I also had them replace my 16 port multiswitch in the attic along with another new HD DVR..... we got another HR24-500

Well fast forward to my current problem:

I hooked the 2nd replacement HD DVR up to the Denon via HDMI (same as always), and the problem still persists! I cannot for the life of me figure out what happened after 3+ years of continuous use with ZERO problems.

I've tried everything too, I've tried changing HDMI cords, I've tried changing the HDMI input port on the back of the Denon, instead of running the DirecTV receiver directly into the TV/SAT input, I tried the BluRay port, the DVD port, etc. The problem still persisted, audio cut out on random DirecTV channels.

I personally think it is an HDMI handshake issue, or communication issue between the DirecTV box and the Denon receiver.

My latest attempt to fix this problem was to run optical out from the DirecTV receiver into the Denon optical input and run HDMI out from the DirecTV receiver straight into my Samsung plasma. Well this has totally eliminated the video issue, but the audio hiccups and complete drop outs still persist.

Now here's the catch, if I shut off the Denon receiver, and run just sound through the Samsung plasma, I have ZERO problems whatsoever.

This leads me to believe the problem is not with the DirecTV box.

Now here is what I cannot understand whatsoever:

I have a media player, it is a KDLinks HD720, connected via HDMI into the Denon "Media Player" HDMI input. I have absolutely ZERO problems at all whenever I run video or audio.

I cannot explain why the Media Player plays flawless through the Denon AVR-X2000, however, the DirecTV box has all sorts of problems.

I thought it could be the HDMI circuit board in the Denon, but the fact the media player plays flawless eliminates this possibility.

Of course I am out of my warranty period (3 years) for the Denon and I am contemplating buying a new audio receiver. I've never had an audio receiver last this short amount of time. My Sony lasted from 2001-2014. My Yamaha before that, lasted from the last 80s until 2001.

I'm sorry for the long post, but I had to be as detailed as possible.

I figured, if anyone on the planet can diagnose this for me, it would be here on this forum.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by MVLJR; 07-30-2017 at 06:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-29-2017, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
In my experience, "all of a sudden" usually equals a software update. Either the AVR or some other link in the chain. Perhaps looking up software update related issues for your receiver might yield an explanation.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
post #3 of 9 Old 07-29-2017, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalerjones View Post
In my experience, "all of a sudden" usually equals a software update. Either the AVR or some other link in the chain. Perhaps looking up software update related issues for your receiver might yield an explanation.

That's what I was thinking as well.

I'm looking at the DirecTV software update and it's showing Monday, 6/5 as the last software update.

A little after that is when all this started happening.

I'm not sure how to roll back to an older software version.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 07-29-2017, 11:12 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Can you cancel directv? Go to a different provider?

My good friend runs a local directv install company and he hates the company. Lol

They are really behind the competition. Sounds like a software issue and a handshake issue hdmi. Try better hdmi cables.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-30-2017, 12:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVLJR View Post
That's what I was thinking as well.

I'm looking at the DirecTV software update and it's showing Monday, 6/5 as the last software update.

A little after that is when all this started happening.

I'm not sure how to roll back to an older software version.
You can't be the only one having the problem, so
1) make sure you tell Direct TV about it,
2) read up on their customer service threads and see if there are any workarounds.
3) Sometimes going back to square one and doing a "factory reset" on your hardware might get you back to a version before the update. Then,
4) make sure going forward that there aren't any more automatic updates. See if there's a setting within you menus for manually checking for updates. Then wait and see, read about what's happening with other people before updating. That way if it's a sh*t sandwich, you avoid it and they'll fix it before it messes you up.

post #6 of 9 Old 07-30-2017, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy1180 View Post
Can you cancel directv? Go to a different provider?

My good friend runs a local directv install company and he hates the company. Lol

They are really behind the competition. Sounds like a software issue and a handshake issue hdmi. Try better hdmi cables.
Had issues with Direct TV over equipment upgrade and switched to Dish;The installer was an independent contractor who had worked since the big dish analogue days and said "Dish has far better electronics than Direct TV". I've had Dish now for 5 years and the only problems I've experienced were solved with a phone call.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-30-2017, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

I guess I'll have to go to my satellite forums and see if I can roll back to a previous update.

See if that fixes it.

Last edited by MVLJR; 07-30-2017 at 06:13 PM.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-31-2017, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Unfortunately, you can't roll back your HR24 (or any DTV box) to a previous software update. And even if you could the box would automatically download the new software again.

The problem is and isn't with the HR24. The software update probably updated the HDCP built into the box and that version probably isn't 100% compatible the software on your denon reciever and might not be until denon releases another software update.
Have you considered upgrading to the genie setup? Sometimes the genies and clients play better with AV equpiment as they get more frequent updates to correct issues. The HDDVRs are pretty much an afterthought now. Anyways, this problem is annoying and more common than you think and the only workaround is to bypass your denon like you did. I would try an optical out from the TV to the Denon and see if it helps eliminate the dropouts because you would then be using the TV as sort of a middleman.

Been a DTV tech for 9+ years. hope this helps you out some
post #9 of 9 Old 07-31-2017, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakcal84 View Post
Unfortunately, you can't roll back your HR24 (or any DTV box) to a previous software update. And even if you could the box would automatically download the new software again.

The problem is and isn't with the HR24. The software update probably updated the HDCP built into the box and that version probably isn't 100% compatible the software on your denon reciever and might not be until denon releases another software update.
Have you considered upgrading to the genie setup? Sometimes the genies and clients play better with AV equpiment as they get more frequent updates to correct issues. The HDDVRs are pretty much an afterthought now. Anyways, this problem is annoying and more common than you think and the only workaround is to bypass your denon like you did. I would try an optical out from the TV to the Denon and see if it helps eliminate the dropouts because you would then be using the TV as sort of a middleman.

Been a DTV tech for 9+ years. hope this helps you out some

Thanks for the advice.

I'll try the optical out from the TV to the Denon.

I figured this had to be a software issue. The fact I had ZERO problems for 3+ years and the fact the Media Player is having ZERO problems whatsoever, leads me to believe an HDCP update was pushed.

I used to be on a well known satellite forum years ago and was part of their CE (cutting edge) beta software updates on Friday nights. I haven't been there in years.

I'll have to trek back there and see if I can get an update to this box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
denon avr-x2000 , Directv , hr24-500

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page