StormAudio I.ISP 3D.16.12 16-Channel Integrated AV Processor Hands-On - Page 25 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 452Likes

post #721 of 907 Old 05-23-2019, 02:48 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5282 Post(s)
Liked: 4796
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhuski View Post
The reboot issue isn't that big of a deal:
No it isn't. It's quite minor. I'd love to have the Trinnov… but closer to $10k.

Madhu, would you mind sharing your impressions of the StormAudio interface vs Trinnov? You've had the Lyngdorf, NAD, Anthem and Marantz as well, correct? How about the Audiocontrol/Arcam/Lexicon? Also, did you try the StormAudio/Bryston iOS app?
dinamigym likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 907 Old 05-23-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmoviefan View Post
Storm sounds incredible, better than most PrePros that process at 96Kz. Tells you that there is a lot to how a PrePro is implemented and what makes one sound better than another, and I am sure they can make it even better ! There is always better.
What immersive pre-pros process at 96kHz? Lyngdorf, Trinnov, Theta, Anthem and perhaps Emotiva someday.

Did you do A/B testing to determine that the StormAudio sounds better than others? Nothing super scientific, just same day, same room, etc. Please drop a link if you already posted about it. Thx
post #723 of 907 Old 05-23-2019, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1288 Post(s)
Liked: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
No it isn't. It's quite minor. I'd love to have the Trinnov… but closer to $10k.

Madhu, would you mind sharing your impressions of the StormAudio interface vs Trinnov? You've had the Lyngdorf, NAD, Anthem and Marantz as well, correct? How about the Audiocontrol/Arcam/Lexicon? Also, did you try the StormAudio/Bryston iOS app?
The StormAudio interface is spectacular. It’s very polished and straightforward. Using VNC on the trinnov is on the clunkier side for setup, in my opinion. Its not difficult (especially if you’ve set up a few processors before) but not as polished as Storm. (i had to refer to the trinnov manual a few times....first time i had to break into a manual in a long time)

I tried the app, but generally am not a fan of Ipad remotes so found myself using a physical remote (harmony) more. iirc the app didn’t have any deep setup features, so between the hard remote and logging into the storm via IP address, didn’t find much of a use for the app.

and yes - Lyngdorf/Audiocontrol/Lex/Arcam/Nad/Marantz/Emotiva/Krell/Anthem/Yamaha.....i’ve tried a bunch. A lot of it was out of curiosity and trying out new stuff, but with kids getting older and free time being tougher to come by those days are coming to en end
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #724 of 907 Old 05-23-2019, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

I tried to pickup the unit from FedEx today but they said it won't be unloaded until after-hours. Do you want to call me over the w/e?

I do have prior experience with the Storm at Starke Sound. The web interface & flexibility is really what won me over. The sound is excellent but not noticeably better or worse than Lyngdorf or Trinnov. (Atmos music listened to at Starke and JTR: The Greatest Showman, La La Land, Hans Zimmer and Bohemian Rhapsody.)

I haven't listened at all in 2ch yet but I have confidence that Bryston will have an upgrade available if I find the 2ch performance lacking (I prefer 2ch to upmixing in most cases on the Lyngdorf). I actually prefer engaging the wides (copying mains but attenuated) to most upmixing. Lyngdorf makes the task of mapping in the wides (copy/matrix) then switching back to discrete decoding unecessarily arduous (requires a full reboot and a separate RoomPerfect instance).

I will have to dust my iPad off and try the IOS app. I'm getting a Harmony Elite setup & ready as well. Bryston isn't in their databass but STORMAUDIO ISP.3D.16 is.
Thanks for the invite. I might do a Skype call later if this is OK.
The only thing making me a bit reluctant is the arrival of the HTP-1. However, if I put a VAT of 25% on top of its $4k price tag then I am not so sure that it will be soooooo much cheaper than the SP4. If I could select between the two without considering the cost issue I would go for the SP4, needless to say.

I am an audiophile guy so I will probably bypass my 2ch music from the SP4. At least this is not the first priority I look for on the SP. Bryston has the capability for great SQ, though.

Bryston SP4/ATI AT527/Panasonic DP-UB9000/LG OLED 65E6V
post #725 of 907 Old 05-23-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:

and yes - Audiocontrol/Lex/Arcam/Nad/Marantz/Emotiva/Krell/Anthem/Yamaha.....i’ve tried a bunch.
Emotiva? RMC-1? Were you able to get your mind past the bugs and sluggishness to critically assess any of the SQ? How about the OSD (same caveats)?
post #726 of 907 Old 05-23-2019, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1288 Post(s)
Liked: 823
Quote:
Emotiva? RMC-1? Were you able to get your mind past the bugs and sluggishness to critically assess any of the SQ? How about the OSD (same caveats)?

XMC.

I’ve been following the RMC threads on here and emotiva, and am not optimistic....

edit: wife would filet me if I put the RMC in given its current state. it would effectively ban her and the kids from the one TV we have in the house

Last edited by madhuski; 05-23-2019 at 03:18 PM.
post #727 of 907 Old 05-23-2019, 03:15 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked: 1252
Quote:
The reboot issue isn't that big of a deal:

a) it happens during normal powering off/on of the unit. So unless you leave it on 24/7, it shouldnt be a problem

b) Trinnov has an automated reboot command built into their IP drivers. So if you do leave it on 24/7, you can schedule a reboot time
On the Trinnov thread, Adam Pelz had mentioned that many of his clients use Control4, and it's seamless for them once the reboot timing is automated. And I'll note that there's no firm "you must reboot every 24 hours" rule; it's more of a best practice/habit to simply turn the Altitude off when you're not using it to avoid any potential logging/memory issues cropping up over an extended period, or have an automated reboot during downtime. It's a dedicated PC, after all, so that may be par for the course (just like it's not always a good idea to leave a laptop "always on" as it can do a number on the battery's ability to charge over time).

Quote:
if you're someone who leaves it on 24/7 *and* don't use a IP control scheme....yeah, you're out of luck a bit.
Yes, but it's also no big deal to use that Mark I thumb interface and simply turn the Altitude off .

Quote:
The StormAudio interface is spectacular. It’s very polished and straightforward. Using VNC on the trinnov is on the clunkier side for setup, in my opinion. Its not difficult (especially if you’ve set up a few processors before) but not as polished as Storm. (i had to refer to the trinnov manual a few times....first time i had to break into a manual in a long time)
I've only seen the StormAudio interface at CEDIA - it is slick-looking. But VNC on an iPad is almost second nature once you get used to it - and Trinnov is rolling out an app for Mac OS that may be helpful if that's your world.
https://www.trinnov.com/2019/04/11/n...ov-mac-os-app/
madhuski likes this.

Audio Gear: Trinnov Altitude 32 (24 channel), NAD M27 amps (3)
Video: JVC RS600, Seymour 100" UF Screen, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 (coming soon)
Speakers: PSB Imagine T3 LCR, Imagine T Wides/Side Surround 1, T2 Side Surrounds, Imagine XB rears, Image B6 screens, PSB CS1000 ceilings (6), HSU ULS-15 Mk 2 subs (4) - 13.4.6
HAA HT1 and HT2 Certification

Last edited by sdrucker; 05-23-2019 at 03:24 PM.
post #728 of 907 Old 05-23-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post

I've only seen the StormAudio interface at CEDIA - it is slick-looking. But VNC on an iPad is almost second nature once you get used to it - and Trinnov is rolling out an app for Mac OS that may be helpful if that's your world.

https://www.trinnov.com/2019/04/11/n...ov-mac-os-app/
StormAudio and Trinnov seem to be the only ones consistently evolving. This matters to me. I don't like the ≤Marantz segment where they release a new version every year, and 2-3 years for a flagship.

When I did the math, if I sell after 3-5 years I could actually lose more money on a ≤Marantz SSP than I would with Datasat, Theta, Lyngdorf, StormAudio, or Trinnov (based on street prices). Changed my perspective on high-end audio quite a bit.
dinamigym likes this.
post #729 of 907 Old 05-23-2019, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked: 1252
Quote:
StormAudio and Trinnov seem to be the only ones consistently evolving. This matters to me. I don't like the ≤Marantz segment where they release a new version every year, and 2-3 years for a flagship.

When I did the math, if I sell after 3-5 years I could actually lose more money on a ≤Marantz SSP than I would with Datasat, Theta, Lyngdorf, StormAudio, or Trinnov (based on street prices). Changed my perspective on high-end audio quite a bit.
That had a lot to do with my reason for buying an Altitude back in the beginning. I knew it would be a one-time purchase that would last in the indeterminate future, and not likely to depreciate much over time. If anything, add functionality and be expandable. I'm more of an upper-mid range guy other than Trinnov for the rest of my gear, at least compared to the likes of JBL Synthesis or Wilson Audio.

I actually agree with you here. We've discussed this on the thread on Sound United, but IMO the industry is rapidly heading toward a reduced number of AVRs all under the Sound United banner (Denon AVR/Marantz pre/pro for the upper midrange and "flagship" tier, Inkel manufactured AVRs with a notional brand's nameplate for the lower and part of the midrange tier) or Yamaha. There will be a direct to consumer boutique niche with the likes of Emotiva (LOL) and Monoprice, but everything else will be various flavors of high end and integrator pre/pros, ranging from NAD or maybe ATI on up. If Storm can survive the growing pains of its rollout and deliver on support, the upper end of "high end" may come down to Storm and Trinnov.

Audio Gear: Trinnov Altitude 32 (24 channel), NAD M27 amps (3)
Video: JVC RS600, Seymour 100" UF Screen, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 (coming soon)
Speakers: PSB Imagine T3 LCR, Imagine T Wides/Side Surround 1, T2 Side Surrounds, Imagine XB rears, Image B6 screens, PSB CS1000 ceilings (6), HSU ULS-15 Mk 2 subs (4) - 13.4.6
HAA HT1 and HT2 Certification
post #730 of 907 Old 05-23-2019, 04:38 PM
Rise & Grind

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:

I tried to pickup the unit from FedEx today but they said it won't be unloaded until after-hours. Do you want to call me over the w/e?

I do have prior experience with the Storm at Starke Sound. The web interface & flexibility is really what won me over. The sound is excellent but not noticeably better or worse than Lyngdorf or Trinnov. (Atmos music listened to at Starke and JTR: The Greatest Showman, La La Land, Hans Zimmer and Bohemian Rhapsody.)

I haven't listened at all in 2ch yet but I have confidence that Bryston will have an upgrade available if I find the 2ch performance lacking (I prefer 2ch to upmixing in most cases on the Lyngdorf). I actually prefer engaging the wides (copying mains but attenuated) to most upmixing. Lyngdorf makes the task of mapping in the wides (copy/matrix) then switching back to discrete decoding unecessarily arduous (requires a full reboot and a separate RoomPerfect instance).

I will have to dust my iPad off and try the IOS app. I'm getting a Harmony Elite setup & ready as well. Bryston isn't in their databass but STORMAUDIO ISP.3D.16 is.

IOS app works well. Not sure if it’s an option for you but RTI Control was easy to set up and very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trinnov Altitude 16, Magico A3, Magico ACC, Magico A1s, Dual Rythmik FV25HP
Amps- ATI AT523NC, AT524NC, AT528NC
Kaleidescape Terra Server/Strato, Oppo UDP-203, Apple TV4k, XFinity X1
Sony VPL-VW5000, 136" 2.35:1 Stewart Studiotek 100 screen, Lumagen Pro 4242
post #731 of 907 Old 05-23-2019, 04:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 589 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:
What immersive pre-pros process at 96kHz? Lyngdorf, Trinnov, Theta, Anthem and perhaps Emotiva someday.

Did you do A/B testing to determine that the StormAudio sounds better than others? Nothing super scientific, just same day, same room, etc. Please drop a link if you already posted about it. Thx
I did a full review earlier in this thread and yes it is better than anything else I have listened to. Only PrePro I had not listened to was Trinnov , but it is $17,800 and was a bit out of reach . The Storm is also easier to setup than the Trinnov . Storm is a great sounding PrePro . Some of the Blu-Ray video concerts like The Eagles in Melbourne are stunning to listen too.
post #732 of 907 Old 05-23-2019, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1821 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Quote:
...(I prefer 2ch to upmixing in most cases on the Lyngdorf). I actually prefer engaging the wides (copying mains but attenuated) to most upmixing. Lyngdorf makes the task of mapping in the wides (copy/matrix) then switching back to discrete decoding unecessarily arduous (requires a full reboot and a separate RoomPerfect instance).

Whoa, really?

So a reboot is necessary for switching between native Atmos and DTS:X soundtracks and matrixed wides on non-native ones?

Why would RP need to be re-run, since in both cases the same speakers in the same positions are used?

Noah
post #733 of 907 Old 05-23-2019, 11:44 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 15
If the background noise is too loud, you can buy the XLR cables from Storm, which reduce the noise.
post #734 of 907 Old 05-24-2019, 02:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Three more Bryston SP4 questions;
1) What is the status on integrating Roon RAAT?
2) Any plan of supporting IMAX Enhanced?
3) I understand that the 3U rack mount ears can easily be removed?

post #735 of 907 Old 05-24-2019, 03:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreman View Post
You will get a quicker response if you post on Bryston managed circle/forum in HERE
Extreman likes this.
post #736 of 907 Old 05-24-2019, 03:17 AM
Rise & Grind

Quote:
Can't speak to 1 or 2 but rack ears are easily installed or removed (3 crews on each side of the chassis).
Extreman likes this.
post #737 of 907 Old 05-25-2019, 10:16 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
The unit comes with the rack ears in a plastic bag, so you don't have to remove them if you aren't rack mounting. I had to install the ears since I was rack mounting in my Middle Atlantic rack.

For those who are rack mounting, the SP4 is pretty deep, so cable management will require an offset lacing bar. I have a 2" offset lacing bar and its still pretty close to the back of the unit. I had to put a 4" offset lacing bar to keep the cable bend radius large.

Those who are on firmware 3.4r2, have you run into any issues? It seems Storm is on 3.4r4, but Bryston hasn't released the r4 yet. I am running into some software issues -

1. After using for 2 days without any issues, I noticed that the processor wouldn't display any picture. I checked the web interface and it kept showing "processor is initializing". I waited for over 10 minutes and nothing happened. The power LED blinked green (should be solid green) and the LCD display showed all the usual info. I power cycled the unit, but it didn't help. I power cycled again few times by disconnecting the power cord and after 5th time, it worked.

2. Then a day after the first episode, while I was using the processor, I switched HDMI input using the Harmony remote and the audio dropped completely. I switched HDMI sources but there was no sound output from any of the connected sources. I power cycled, but it still didn't work. I then went ahead and restored the last config backup file and the sound came back.

3. When playing stereo content, I hear crackling sound from my left channel. This happens with both of my connected sources (PC and Sony blu ray player). I have tried restoring the backup configuration again, but the crackling sound continues. I swapped XLR cables and power cycled my NAD M27 amp, but it didn't help. This wasn't an issue with my Lexicon MC10 or NAD M17 that I was using until last week.

I am in touch with Bryston, but wanted to share my experience of the unit in case anyone had any suggestions.

On a side note - maybe the SP4 owners should now start a owner's thread instead of hijacking Storm thread

Audio: Bryston SP4 | NAD M27
Video: BenQ HT9060 | Stewart Cima | Custom HTPC | Sony UBP-X800M2
Speakers: B&W CM10 S2, CM Center 2 S2, 4 x DS3 | 4 x SVS SB4000
Acoustic treatment: GSK Acoustics
Furniture: Middle Atlantic RSC rack |
Seatcraft recliners | Sound Anchors
post #738 of 907 Old 05-25-2019, 10:45 AM
Rise & Grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashankmittal View Post
The unit comes with the rack ears in a plastic bag, so you don't have to remove them if you aren't rack mounting. I had to install the ears since I was rack mounting in my Middle Atlantic rack.

For those who are rack mounting, the SP4 is pretty deep, so cable management will require an offset lacing bar. I have a 2" offset lacing bar and its still pretty close to the back of the unit. I had to put a 4" offset lacing bar to keep the cable bend radius large.

Those who are on firmware 3.4r2, have you run into any issues? It seems Storm is on 3.4r4, but Bryston hasn't released the r4 yet. I am running into some software issues -

1. After using for 2 days without any issues, I noticed that the processor wouldn't display any picture. I checked the web interface and it kept showing "processor is initializing". I waited for over 10 minutes and nothing happened. The power LED blinked green (should be solid green) and the LCD display showed all the usual info. I power cycled the unit, but it didn't help. I power cycled again few times by disconnecting the power cord and after 5th time, it worked.

2. Then a day after the first episode, while I was using the processor, I switched HDMI input using the Harmony remote and the audio dropped completely. I switched HDMI sources but there was no sound output from any of the connected sources. I power cycled, but it still didn't work. I then went ahead and restored the last config backup file and the sound came back.

3. When playing stereo content, I hear crackling sound from my left channel. This happens with both of my connected sources (PC and Sony blu ray player). I have tried restoring the backup configuration again, but the crackling sound continues. I swapped XLR cables and power cycled my NAD M27 amp, but it didn't help. This wasn't an issue with my Lexicon MC10 or NAD M17 that I was using until last week.

I am in touch with Bryston, but wanted to share my experience of the unit in case anyone had any suggestions.

On a side note - maybe the SP4 owners should now start a owner's thread instead of hijacking Storm thread
I was running firmware 3.4r2 on the SP4. Never experienced anything like you are describing. I was sending video from my Lumagen direct to projector and audio only to HDMI input 7 on the Bryston. Obviously, being set up in this manner I cant speak to anything video switching related but my audio was flawless. No dropouts whatsoever, always switched to the correct audio format, no crackle out of any of my speakers. Was running a 7.2.6 config. All ATI N-Core Amps. I was using RTI for control.

Have you tried factory defaulting the unit and setting up from scratch again? Probably a bit of a pain but might be worth the effort? Maybe something got corrupted in the current config which reinstalling that same config then would not rectify.

Last edited by dinamigym; 05-25-2019 at 11:04 AM.
post #739 of 907 Old 05-25-2019, 11:42 AM

I also have firmware 3.4r2 for a long time and runs smoothly.
post #740 of 907 Old 05-25-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Size comparison: MP-50 vs SP4 (both units are 3RU):

The Byston & StormAudio chassis will be hard to fit in racks with shelves under 20" (depth).
Quote:
Interesting.
I don’t have a door in my rack so what matters to me is the distance from the rear of the SP4 to the front-mounted feet.
If the SP4 protrudes in front of the rack is not a big problem.
In order to fit the feet on the SP4 onto my shelf this distance must not exceed 16’’.
From your picture this will be a tight fit.....

Edit:
After digging deep I finally found the dimensions.
It says total depth is 18.25’’.
I believe there is 2.25’’ from front feet to front of unit, so I reckon it will work in my case.
The feet are 2½" in diameter, and spacing is 15⅞" from front-to-back (edge-to-edge) & 15½" side-to-side (edge-to-edge). So the feet will fit on a 16" shelf (just barely).

This is a thoughtful design as the center of the back chassis isn't aligned with anything critical, only digital input 3. This allows me to move the SSP back to my VTI rack that doubles as a center speaker stand. The centered back pole interfered with HDMI-in 8, HDMI-out 1 and two XLR outputs on the MP-50 (so I had moved it to a separate rack).
Extreman and dinamigym like this.
post #741 of 907 Old 05-25-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinamigym View Post
I was running firmware 3.4r2 on the SP4. Never experienced anything like you are describing. I was sending video from my Lumagen direct to projector and audio only to HDMI input 7 on the Bryston. Obviously, being set up in this manner I cant speak to anything video switching related but my audio was flawless. No dropouts whatsoever, always switched to the correct audio format, no crackle out of any of my speakers. Was running a 7.2.6 config. All ATI N-Core Amps. I was using RTI for control.

Have you tried factory defaulting the unit and setting up from scratch again? Probably a bit of a pain but might be worth the effort? Maybe something got corrupted in the current config which reinstalling that same config then would not rectify.
I didn't do a factory reset after flashing the firnware, so will have to try that after I am able to bring the unit back up. Since last night, the unit is not even initializing, so couldn't do anything with it.

I just heard from Bryston and they asked to flash the same firmware again using the rear USB ports. That also doesn't seem to be working, as the unit isn't initiating the flash process.

Last edited by shashankmittal; 05-25-2019 at 03:03 PM.
post #742 of 907 Old 05-25-2019, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This is a thoughtful design as the center of the back chassis isn't aligned with anything critical, only digital input 3. This allows me to move the SSP back to my VTI rack that doubles as a center speaker stand. The centered back pole interfered with HDMI-in 8, HDMI-out 1 and two XLR outputs on the MP-50 (so I had moved it to a separate rack).
Thanks for taking the time to do these measurements - very useful!
I did the same check for the SP4 vs the rack centered back pole and as it seems I can push it all the way back without any severe port conflicts.

post #743 of 907 Old 05-25-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Thanks for taking the time to do these measurements - very useful!

I did the same check for the SP4 vs the rack centered back pole and as it seems I can push it all the way back without any severe port conflicts.
Just be sure to use some use RCA protective covers to prevent any conductive contact between the rack and the coax input connectors.

uxcell 10 Pcs Clear Silicone RCA Female Connector Dust Proof Protector Cover https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W8YPGM8/
Extreman likes this.
post #744 of 907 Old 05-25-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
This wasn't an issue with my Lexicon MC10 or NAD M17 that I was using until last week.

The StormAudio, Bryston and Focal are so similar I think all owners and prospective owners benefit from a single thread.

Your issues really sound like a hardware failure in need of warranty support. I agree with the suggestions to default & reflash which are really last ditch efforts.

I followed your ordeal with NAD. Are you still test driving replacements or did you settle on the SP4? Your comparative impressions thus far?
@[email protected] didn't you audition several SSPs as well? I've been looking out for your impressions vs your Theta CB.
post #745 of 907 Old 05-25-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
The StormAudio, Bryston and Focal are so similar I think all owners and prospective owners benefit from a single thread.

Your issues really sound like a hardware failure in need of warranty support. I agree with the suggestions to default & reflash which are really last ditch efforts.

I followed your ordeal with NAD. Are you still test driving replacements or did you settle on the SP4? Your comparative impressions thus far?
@[email protected] didn't you audition several SSPs as well? I've been looking out for your impressions vs your Theta CB.
I think the SP4 may be the one, but it hasn't happened yet. The issues I am running into are a showstopper and my unit has been down since last night.

I have used the NAD M17 and Lexicon MC10 extensively and I think the Lexicon was better than NAD in a lot of ways. More reliable, almost flawless HDMI switching and similar sonic qualities as NAD. The only downside was archaic menus and one Dirac slot.

I have used the SP4 only for few hours since I received it. I haven't even run Dirac yet or played with all the settings, but I can easily confirm that the sound quality was way better than NAD and Lexicon. I was hearing stuff that I didn't hear clear enough with my fully calibrated NAD or Lexicon. The Auro upmixing of Stereo content was impressive too, although I didn't get a chance to test it extensively.

I really want to like the SP4, but so far I am hitting roadblocks.
HTNUT1975 likes this.

post #746 of 907 Old 05-25-2019, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Is there a photo of the SP4 internals available somewhere?

post #747 of 907 Old 05-26-2019, 12:27 AM

I could hear Arcam / NAD / Datasat AP20 / Trinnov 16-32 and StormAudio 16 in comparison. Trinnov-32 and StormAudio have the best sound. I would not buy Trinnov-16, NAD M17 sounds better than Trinnov-16.
Trinnov 32 sounds a bit more artificial and pleasant, StormAudio sounds more honest, I have both sounded sonically. The surface at Storm is clearer than at Trinnov. I bought Storm because the price performance is best, 32 Discrete channels of Trinnov I do not need.
Extreman likes this.
post #748 of 907 Old 05-26-2019, 04:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think the SP4 may be the one, but it hasn't happened yet. The issues I am running into are a showstopper and my unit has been down since last night.

I have used the NAD M17 and Lexicon MC10 extensively and I think the Lexicon was better than NAD in a lot of ways. More reliable, almost flawless HDMI switching and similar sonic qualities as NAD. The only downside was archaic menus and one Dirac slot.

I have used the SP4 only for few hours since I received it. I haven't even run Dirac yet or played with all the settings, but I can easily confirm that the sound quality was way better than NAD and Lexicon. I was hearing stuff that I didn't hear clear enough with my fully calibrated NAD or Lexicon. The Auro upmixing of Stereo content was impressive too, although I didn't get a chance to test it extensively.

I really hope you will overcome these problems.
I would love to follow your journey with the SP4.
I think your experience is the only ‘negative’ I have seen so far, and thus worth following closely for us SP4 prospects.

post #749 of 907 Old 05-26-2019, 06:16 AM
Rise & Grind

Quote:

Don't know if this will make you feel any better but hopefully it will at some level. Based on my experience with the SP4, and what appears to be others, I believe it to be an extremely solid piece that you will find many years of enjoyment with. I genuinely believe your current issue to be an isolated dose of bad luck. I purchased a Sony VPL-VW5000 in 2017 their $60k laser projector. One week after I had it the picture turned smurf BLUE and I mean the whole picture on every source. Long story short, after three months and several others experiencing the same, they determined they had put out a flawed firmware that there was no fix for and replaced all our projectors. I still have the replacement and have greatly enjoyed every time I turn it on. I guess what I'm saying is **** happens but I believe once this is remedied you will love the piece. Like my first 5000, I would just chalk this up to a bump in the road.

Peace Out,
Paul

PS On the bright side, I highly doubt this will take a 3 month solution.
post #750 of 907 Old 05-26-2019, 07:02 AM

Quote:
I didn't do a factory reset after flashing the firmware, so will have to try that after I am able to bring the unit back up. Since last night, the unit is not even initializing, so couldn't do anything with it.

I just heard from Bryston and they asked to flash the same firmware again using the rear USB ports. That also doesn't seem to be working, as the unit isn't initiating the flash process.
So we tried to flash the firmware using the undocumented USB method. That didn't work. Then I received a 4GB image of the microSD card from Byrston. That couldn't be flashed. The unit isn't even initiating a flash.
A new unit will be sent out to me this week, I am hoping it will work a whole lot better.

Quote:
I really hope you will overcome these problems.
I would love to follow your journey with the SP4.
I think your experience is the only ‘negative’ I have seen so far, and thus worth following closely for us SP4 prospects.
I am hoping so too. Let's see if the new replacement unit works better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinamigym View Post
Don't know if this will make you feel any better but hopefully it will at some level. Based on my experience with the SP4, and what appears to be others, I believe it to be an extremely solid piece that you will find many years of enjoyment with. I genuinely believe your current issue to be an isolated dose of bad luck. I purchased a Sony VPL-VW5000 in 2017 their $60k laser projector. One week after I had it the picture turned smurf BLUE and I mean the whole picture on every source. Long story short, after three months and several others experiencing the same, they determined they had put out a flawed firmware that there was no fix for and replaced all our projectors. I still have the replacement and have greatly enjoyed every time I turn it on. I guess what I'm saying is **** happens but I believe once this is remedied you will love the piece. Like my first 5000, I would just chalk this up to a bump in the road.

Peace Out,
Paul

PS On the bright side, I highly doubt this will take a 3 month solution.
Ouch! You are brave! I am very patient, but between all these issues that I have run into with these processors (first it was NAD M17 and now this one) in the last 4 months, I feel rather frustrated.
dinamigym likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
auro-3d , dolby atmos , dts:x , i.isp , stormaudio