StormAudio I.ISP 3D.16.12 16-Channel Integrated AV Processor Hands-On - Page 32 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 521Likes

post #931 of 1094 Old 07-26-2019, 11:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hi,

Finally home to test my HDR issues, I have tried to find the setting for HDMI (were you can limit spead, select which once that should have HDCP 2.2 etc), but I cannot find it, I am logged in as installer (see picture) but I cant find the settings in any of the available sub menus.
I will also send the log to Storm audio and ask for assistance.
BR
Fredrik
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Storm.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	2594920  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 1094 Old 07-26-2019, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredrikb125 View Post
Hi,

Finally home to test my HDR issues, I have tried to find the setting for HDMI (were you can limit spead, select which once that should have HDCP 2.2 etc), but I cannot find it, I am logged in as installer (see picture) but I cant find the settings in any of the available sub menus.
BR
Fredrik
This is on my SP4, with firmware v3.5r1 -

Audio: Bryston SP4 | ATI 6005
Video: BenQ HT9060 | Stewart Cima | Custom HTPC | Sony UBP-X800M2
Speakers: B&W CM10 S2, CM Center 2 S2, 4 x DS3 | 4 x SVS SB4000 | SVS SB13 (for sale)
Acoustic treatment: GSK Acoustics
Furniture: Middle Atlantic RSC rack |
Seatcraft recliners | Sound Anchors
post #933 of 1094 Old 07-26-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashankmittal View Post
This is on my SP4, with firmware v3.5r1 -

There seems to be some difference, under my settings there is no HDMI settings available?

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attac...594928&thumb=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Storm2.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	2594928  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #934 of 1094 Old 07-26-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
There seems to be some difference, under my settings there is no HDMI settings available?
Ok, so maybe the Storm firmware doesn't have that option unlike the SP4 firmware.
You should create a support case with Storm. Make sure you reproduce the issue and download the logs immediately. Restarting the unit erases the log files, so DO NOT restart it after reproducing the issues and before downloading the logs. Don't ask how I know

Speakers: B&W CM10 S2, CM Center 2 S2, 4 x DS3 | 4 x SVS SB4000 | SVS SB13 (for sale)
post #935 of 1094 Old 07-26-2019, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Ok, so maybe the Storm firmware doesn't have that option unlike the SP4 firmware.
You should create a support case with Storm. Make sure you reproduce the issue and download the logs immediately. Restarting the unit erases the log files, so DO NOT restart it after reproducing the issues and before downloading the logs. Don't ask how I know
Option exists in the Storm under settings bottom left above the IR assignment section
post #936 of 1094 Old 07-26-2019, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 237 Post(s)
Quoted: 5446 Post(s)
Liked: 4948
Quote:
Does anybody have any issues passing through HDR?
I am unable to get HDR through the Storm, both from ATV4 and Panasonic 820 UHD player.
There were no issues getting it through my Arcam 850, I just replaced the Arcam with the Storm so the Issue should be with the Storm?
I also to be sure I changed the HDMI cable from the storm to my projector with an optical HDMI with high performance(just in case the signal was weaker from the Storm), but still no luck, is there a setting in the Storm were you can choose output from HDMI?
I tried both HDMI input 1&2 & 5&6 for the sources and both HDMI output 1&2 (as there seems to be some difference for those in the manual) but with same results (=no HDR).

As a additional info, If I manually select "Activate HDR" on the ATV, the picture goes black and I need to reboot the ATV to get the picture back.
Quote:
Hi,

BR
Fredrik
Where and when did you source your unit? New or secondhand? I suspect you have the older HDMI 1.4 hardware installed (which would explain why HDR won't work). Your screenshot shows installed HDMI Card: HDMI 8+2. Do you have 8 HDMI inputes? My SP4 with HDMI 2.0 hardware shows HDMI Card: HDMI 7+2 and has 7 inputs.
post #937 of 1094 Old 07-26-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon94 View Post
Option exists in the Storm under settings bottom left above the IR assignment section
Ok, but in his screenshot it doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
Where and when did you source your unit? New or secondhand? I suspect you have the older HDMI 1.4 hardware installed (which would explain why HDR won't work). Your screenshot shows installed HDMI Card: HDMI 8+2. Do you have 8 HDMI inputes? My SP4 with HDMI 2.0 hardware shows HDMI Card: HDMI 7+2 and has 7 inputs.
Good catch. Mine shows 7+2 as well.

post #938 of 1094 Old 07-26-2019, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 430 Post(s)
Quoted: 9065 Post(s)
Liked: 15977
FYI... full press release follows:

-----

Luxury Immersive Audio Hardware Brand StormAudio Leaps the Competition with Implementation of Channel’s Most Advanced HDMI Card

The HDMI 7 + 2 eARC card brings to StormAudio’s immersive audio preamp/processor’s compatibility with all HDMI devices, fast switching, eARC, 4K, 18 Gbps, Dolby Vision and HDR10.

Nantes, France – July 26, 2019 – StormAudio has completed in-house development of a proprietary HDMI card that in late September 2019 will be integrated into its preamp/processors and available as an upgrade for 4U StormAudio processors in the field. The card will be revealed at CEDIA Expo, featured at StormAudio’s booth (#4327) and in 3 high-profile home theater demonstrations: Seymour-Screen Excellence (SR-10), Alcons Audio (SR-13), and M&K (#4143).

Named StormAudio HDMI 7+2 eARC, the 7 input / 2 output card delivers improved switching time and compatibility with all HDMI connectable devices. Significant key features include full 4K, 18 Gigabytes per second bandwidth on all input and output ports, plus DolbyVision and HDR10. Also integrated is eARC (a feature of HDMI 2.1) wherein immersive sound comes from the 8K TV via HDMI to the processor then on to the amps and speakers.

“The new card is the result of a collaborative effort between our product development team in France and a specialized circuit board manufacturer partner,” says StormAudio US Sales Manager Gary Blouse. “This was critical for us to undertake as flawless HDMI performance is critical. Yet we see that mediocre HDMI performance has been the bane of our competition.”

Blouse continued “Manufacturers are often at the mercy of vendors, having to accept ‘off-the-shelf’ HDMI cards that deliver less than optimal results. Given the newest formats and associated demanding performance specs, this simply would not do. Since coming to market in 2016, top designers and acousticians have identified StormAudio as having something truly special to offer with key attributes being sound, ease-of-programming and upgrade capability, evidenced by our processors and amps being featured in the 2019 CEDIA Home Technology Professional Awards competition, which recognizes the best custom-installation projects completed this past year. With this new card, our processors continue the innovation and rise to the top as the most performance-rich whilst easiest to deploy and upgrade.”
Extreman likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #939 of 1094 Old 07-26-2019, 05:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 41
But we still need the HDMI 2.1 board when released, right?

Bryston SP4/ATI AT527/Panasonic DP-UB9000/LG OLED 65E6V
post #940 of 1094 Old 07-26-2019, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

Agree - nice catch Marc.

Frederik you have older HDMI board and this has nothing to do with Storm or firmware. Storm did offer some of the early buyers/dealers free HDMI upgrade early on when HDMI board was released (not anymore). You would have to pay for new HDMI card- but now that newer version is released -makes sense to buy the latest. Hope you get it at a discount from same dealer you bought your unit from.

Regards,
Kishore
post #941 of 1094 Old 07-26-2019, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreman View Post

If you continue to use the same TV- not so sure
post #942 of 1094 Old 07-26-2019, 11:03 PM

Quote:
No. eARC is in lieu of HDMI 2.1. Any HDMI 2.1 devices will connect directly to your HDMI 2.1 display. The display will then send lossless audio back to the SSP over eARC.
Bigmoviefan, bigguyca and Extreman like this.
post #943 of 1094 Old 07-27-2019, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishore View Post
Agree - nice catch Marc.

Frederik you have older HDMI board and this has nothing to do with Storm or firmware. Storm did offer some of the early buyers/dealers free HDMI upgrade early on when HDMI board was released (not anymore). You would have to pay for new HDMI card- but now that newer version is released -makes sense to buy the latest. Hope you get it at a discount from same dealer you bought your unit from.

Regards,
Kishore
Thank you everybody for the info, yes I did buy it seconhand the guy did said that he had a one point send in the unit to a Storm service center in Denmark to upgrade the HDMI board (but it was in 2017), he did not mentioned it to be specific for the HDMI 2.0 support however
Also in the specifications in his add (which seems to be copy/paste) there is specified "8 inputs / 2 outputs HDMI sockets with UHD and HDCP 2.2 / HDMI 2.0 support"
This made me belive it should work
I made a support ticket with Storm but I guess they will come up with your conclutions as well (old HDMI board), I guess I need to upgrade then but I will do it in september when the new board is available, just a hassle to send it away and be without it for some time.
BR
Fredrik
post #944 of 1094 Old 07-27-2019, 03:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No. eARC is in lieu of HDMI 2.1. Any HDMI 2.1 devices will connect directly to your HDMI 2.1 display. The display will then send lossless audio back to the SSP over eARC.
Right, but what I meant to say was ‘will this HDMI board update ensure full compatibility with the 2.1 standard on all features?’

post #945 of 1094 Old 07-27-2019, 07:31 AM

Quote:
I guess I need to upgrade then but I will do it in september when the new board is available, just a hassle to send it away and be without it for some time.
I quick fix until then could be a HDMI audio extractor. Use that between the Storm and source (ATV). Pass the audio to Storm over HDMI and video to your projector. No need to send HDR video to Storm.
If the Storm expects video signal with the audio, then you may need to use a HDMI splitter in place of the extractor.

post #946 of 1094 Old 07-27-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Right, but what I meant to say was ‘will this HDMI board update ensure full compatibility with the 2.1 standard on all features?’
With eARC, your SSP will be agnostic to all other HDMI 2.1 features as your HDMI 2.1 sources will connect directly to your HDMI 2.1 display. If you opt for this HDMI update it "should" be the last HDMI update for your SSP ever needed (if there is ever anything truly future proof).

Remember prior to HDMI (laserdisc, DVD, digital cable & satellite, etc.) when we had separate video (composite, S-Video component, DVI) and audio (5.1 analog, SPDIF coax/TOSlink) connections to get 5.1 audio? Those that require HDMI 2.1 will return to that concept. With ARC/eARC a single 18Gbps HDMI cable can deliver both video from SSP to Display and audio from Display to SSP. Both your SSP (<18Gbps) and HDMI 2.1 display will have HDMI switching capability.

https://www.displaydaily.com/paid-ne...proof-solution

HDFury's newest HDMI audio extraction devices will support eARC extraction for those without eARC support in their SSP.
https://www.hdfury.com/product-category/earc-hdmi/
Extreman likes this.
post #947 of 1094 Old 07-28-2019, 07:08 AM

Quote:
I quick fix until then could be a HDMI audio extractor. Use that between the Storm and source (ATV). Pass the audio to Storm over HDMI and video to your projector. No need to send HDR video to Storm.
If the Storm expects video signal with the audio, then you may need to use a HDMI splitter in place of the extractor.
This is actually not a bad idea, as I use a projector ARC or eARC seems useless for me anyway, maybe such a solution could be the permanent one for me.
As suggested by Marc Alexander, HDfury has some nice products, thinking about the "4K Vertex² 18Gbps", this should be sufficient for me as I only have 2 HDR sources.
I guess the upgraded HDMI board will have some costs, does anybody know what the previous upgraded HDMI board cost was?
post #948 of 1094 Old 07-28-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
This is actually not a bad idea, as I use a projector ARC or eARC seems useless for me anyway, maybe such a solution could be the permanent one for me.

As suggested by Marc Alexander, HDfury has some nice products, thinking about the "4K Vertex² 18Gbps", this should be sufficient for me as I only have 2 HDR sources.
If you don't need more than the 2 HDR sources, the original Vertex or newer Integral² will do the job for less money.
https://hdfury.com/product/integral-2/
post #949 of 1094 Old 07-30-2019, 02:23 AM

Quote:
If you don't need more than the 2 HDR sources, the original Vertex or newer Integral² will do the job for less money.
https://hdfury.com/product/integral-2/
You are right Marc, I have been thinking back and forth regaring which one I shall buy, in the end I still decided for the vertex with 4 input (in case I would like to connect a game console or something enlse in the future).
I looking forward to receive it in the end of the week, then later on when the cost of replacing to the new HDMI board I will decied if it is worth the cost or just keep using the Vertex.
post #950 of 1094 Old 07-30-2019, 06:46 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Two questions for current owners of Storm or Bryston SP4. Will SP4 get the new upgrade video board as well in their units or is it exclusive to Storm. Secondly, have been hearing a lot of rumors about the financial woes of the company lately and head honchos being fired. Anyone else concerned about the future?
post #951 of 1094 Old 07-30-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:

I looking forward to receive it in the end of the week, then later on when the cost of replacing to the new HDMI board I will decied if it is worth the cost or just keep using the Vertex.
I'm betting that your dealer (or StormAudio direct) can arrange a discounted upgrade to the HDMI 7+2 (secondhand or NOS) as they transition to the HDMI 7+2 eARC.
post #952 of 1094 Old 07-30-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jish9 View Post
Two questions for current owners of Storm or Bryston SP4. Will SP4 get the new upgrade video board as well in their units or is it exclusive to Storm. Secondly, have been hearing a lot of rumors about the financial woes of the company lately and head honchos being fired. Anyone else concerned about the future?
https://www.stormaudio.com/en/news/
I'm guessing the "rumors" and leadership change you are referring to are over a year old (unless you have a link to new news).

I recommend you speak to Storm/Bryston dealers (which I did) about financials as they will be more privy to this info than end-users. A positive sign to me are the OEM partnerships that StormAudio now has with Bryston and Focal.
I can't see any reason why the eARC HDMI wouldn't be made available to Bryston and Focal. I still recommend you contact them directly. http://bryston.com/pages/contact.html
Bigmoviefan likes this.
post #953 of 1094 Old 07-30-2019, 05:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Please - no Classe all over again!
I just came from the Sigma SSP MKII and I really hope I won’t experience this once again

post #954 of 1094 Old 07-30-2019, 08:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 453
Quote:
I believe those to be old rumors ! They invested in making a new HDMI board. That is not like Classe who were not investing any money into their PrePros .
post #955 of 1094 Old 07-30-2019, 11:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Please - no Classe all over again!
I just came from the Sigma SSP MKII and I really hope I won’t experience this once again
old rumors! They have paired with Focal and Bryston . They just invested in developing a new HDMI card. Classe was doing next to nothing the last years of their PrePros.
Extreman likes this.
post #956 of 1094 Old 07-30-2019, 11:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
https://www.stormaudio.com/en/news/
I'm guessing the "rumors" and leadership change you are referring to are over a year old (unless you have a link to new news).

I recommend you speak to Storm/Bryston dealers (which I did) about financials as they will be more privy to this info than end-users. A positive sign to me are the OEM partnerships that StormAudio now has with Bryston and Focal.
I can't see any reason why the eARC HDMI wouldn't be made available to Bryston and Focal. I still recommend you contact them directly. http://bryston.com/pages/contact.html
I think the new HDMI board will be available to Bryston & Focal. Storm also develops all the firmware updates and shares with Bryston and Focal.
post #957 of 1094 Old 07-30-2019, 11:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I can confirm that you hearing rumors like that reflects very poorly on less reputable sources you work with
James Tanner of Bryston mentioned that SP4 sales have been solid (link). Just like firmware updates developed on Storm was then available on Bryston SP4, one can expect same for HW updates as well.
Extreman likes this.
post #958 of 1094 Old 07-31-2019, 05:46 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishore View Post
Quote:
I can confirm that you hearing rumors like that reflects very poorly on less reputable sources you work with [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]
James Tanner of Bryston mentioned that SP4 sales have been solid (link). Just like firmware updates developed on Storm was then available on Bryston SP4, one can expect same for HW updates as well.
No need to make it personal. I was just asking as I had recently heard this from an actual authorized dealer (of various lines). The info does seem to be outdated and in speaking with Bryston they are currently back logged for making new units as they have too many orders. They also did confirm a paid upgrade path for current owners of the new video board which will be the standard moving forward in September.
mik2h likes this.
post #959 of 1094 Old 07-31-2019, 06:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sounds promising.
Did they mention anything about the need for returning the unit to factory for upgrade?
I would prefer (with warranty still valid) to replace the boards myself, or do it at the local dealer service facility if the cost/value relationship favor such an investment.

Has anyone heard anything more related to the upcoming DAC board upgrade?

post #960 of 1094 Old 07-31-2019, 07:00 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Sounds promising.
Did they mention anything about the need for returning the unit to factory for upgrade?
I would prefer (with warranty still valid) to replace the boards myself, or do it at the local dealer service facility if the cost/value relationship favor such an investment.

Has anyone heard anything more related to the upcoming DAC board upgrade?
You can do the exchange yourself.
Extreman likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
auro-3d , dolby atmos , dts:x , i.isp , stormaudio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page