StormAudio I.ISP 3D.16.12 16-Channel Integrated AV Processor Hands-On - Page 33 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 521Likes

post #961 of 1094 Old 07-31-2019, 07:11 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishore View Post
James Tanner of Bryston mentioned that SP4 sales have been solid (link). Just like firmware updates developed on Storm was then available on Bryston SP4, one can expect same for HW updates as well.
About 75 units of SP4 have been sold. Don't ask how I know

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
You can do the exchange yourself.
Good to know, but my question is - Will Storm/Bryston allow end users to do the upgrade without taking the unit to service center or an authorized dealer for the install (due to warranty reasons)?
Extreman and mik2h like this.

Audio: Bryston SP4 | ATI 6005
Video: BenQ HT9060 | Stewart Cima | Custom HTPC | Sony UBP-X800M2
Speakers: B&W CM10 S2, CM Center 2 S2, 4 x DS3 | 4 x SVS SB4000 | SVS SB13 (for sale)
Acoustic treatment: GSK Acoustics
Furniture: Middle Atlantic RSC rack |
Seatcraft recliners | Sound Anchors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 1094 Old 07-31-2019, 09:10 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I do not know if Bryston allows it, but the Storm allows it.
Storm is very happy with the sale, it works better than expected.
Bigmoviefan likes this.
post #963 of 1094 Old 07-31-2019, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jish9 View Post
No need to make it personal. I was just asking as I had recently heard this from an actual authorized dealer (of various lines). The info does seem to be outdated and in speaking with Bryston they are currently back logged for making new units as they have too many orders. They also did confirm a paid upgrade path for current owners of the new video board which will be the standard moving forward in September.
That tactic by dealer is being used simply to put doubt in your mind! I know a dealer over a year ago who told me they would be out of business in less than a year. But he said that cause he wanted to sell me a different PrePro! 🙄
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #964 of 1094 Old 07-31-2019, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by shashankmittal View Post
About 75 units of SP4 have been sold. Don't ask how I know

Good to know, but my question is - Will Storm/Bryston allow end users to do the upgrade without taking the unit to service center or an authorized dealer for the install (due to warranty reasons)?
For a new high end $14K PrePro that is pretty good number.
post #965 of 1094 Old 07-31-2019, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
I do not know if Bryston allows it, but the Storm allows it.
Storm is very happy with the sale, it works better than expected.
That is great news, as I do not have a dealer locally it would be a hassle to send my unit away for an upgrade, but if they can send me the board and I do it myself it would be perfect!
Bigmoviefan and mik2h like this.
post #966 of 1094 Old 07-31-2019, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jish9 View Post
Two questions for current owners of Storm or Bryston SP4. Will SP4 get the new upgrade video board as well in their units or is it exclusive to Storm. Secondly, have been hearing a lot of rumors about the financial woes of the company lately and head honchos being fired. Anyone else concerned about the future?
This is an old rumor that had Storm out of business by the end of 2018 if not earlier -- guess it was just a rumor
I know some dealers who've done their best to spread it as they carry competitor's products.

Storm has long term financial commitment behind them. Further, they have the partnerships (Focal/Bryston) as mentioned; these companies were given every detail of the financials and chose to invest in the platform. Further still, they will be releasing a SOTA HDMI card of their own design (done w/a partner), continue to meaningfully improve the software, and will be in three rooms at Cedia.

I'll be meeting w/them at Cedia and will have all the details of the new card by then, if not sooner (contact me if interested). I was told about it a few months ago -- they were very focused on improved performance and being independent (and at the mercy) of the OEM HDMI card suppliers and their schedules/delays. Note that few consumer electronic companies have the engineering horsepower to make their own video cards, or for that matter, such a sophisticated, powerfully featured, SOTA-sounding, yet easy to use processor (insert second smiley)
Bigmoviefan and mik2h like this.

HT/Music Atmos setup with Scaena line arrays and Storm Audio processor

http://www.outreachav.com
Dealer for Paradigm/Anthem, NAD, Hegel, Storm Audio, PS Audio, more... PM about demos/specials

Last edited by rblnr; 07-31-2019 at 02:54 PM.
post #967 of 1094 Old 07-31-2019, 04:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have a question for you guys that use a Harmony (elite) remote.
When I select the device Storm Audio ISP on the harmony Remote, everything works except the inputs, there are input 1-6 available to select on the remote (or through the Harmony app), however nothing happens when I choose those inputs?
In the setup in the storm I have setup input 1 as AppleTv, 2 as Blu-ray and 3 as satellite DVR, and I have created activities for all 3, If I choose activity Appletv, the harmony starts ATV, projector and Storm and shows ATV picture.
If i choose blu-ray, the projector, Blu-ray player and Storm is started but input 1 is selected on the Storm (even if input 2 is selected in the harmony activity), same result when I start the DVR activity, the right devices are powered but the wrong input is on the Storm (input 1).
If I manually select input next or input previously I come to the right device, but the input 1-6 "buttons" have no effect, and if I have chosen activity Blu-ray and manually select input next to get to the right input, then I can choose activity ATV and the Storm goes back to the right input(input 1), so input 1 seems to be the only input that can be selected through the Harmony.
Does anybody else have any experience of this and how to solve it (in order to get the right input on the storm to the right activity on the Harmony)?
post #968 of 1094 Old 07-31-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredrikb125 View Post
When I select the device Storm Audio ISP on the harmony Remote, everything works except the inputs, there are input 1-6 available to select on the remote (or through the Harmony app), however nothing happens when I choose those inputs?
I just tested this with my Harmony remote, it worked. No issues.

Quote:
In the setup in the storm I have setup input 1 as AppleTv, 2 as Blu-ray and 3 as satellite DVR, and I have created activities for all 3, If I choose activity Appletv, the harmony starts ATV, projector and Storm and shows ATV picture.
If i choose blu-ray, the projector, Blu-ray player and Storm is started but input 1 is selected on the Storm (even if input 2 is selected in the harmony activity), same result when I start the DVR activity, the right devices are powered but the wrong input is on the Storm (input 1).
I have 3 sources and a corresponding activity for each source. It works flawlessly.

Quote:
If I manually select input next or input previously I come to the right device, but the input 1-6 "buttons" have no effect, and if I have chosen activity Blu-ray and manually select input next to get to the right input, then I can choose activity ATV and the Storm goes back to the right input(input 1), so input 1 seems to be the only input that can be selected through the Harmony.
I strongly feel that somehow your configuration is not right. You should verify in Storm, under Settings, whether your Inputs are set right. Then re-create the Harmony activity again.

Speakers: B&W CM10 S2, CM Center 2 S2, 4 x DS3 | 4 x SVS SB4000 | SVS SB13 (for sale)
post #969 of 1094 Old 08-01-2019, 02:10 AM

In Europe, the price for the new HDMI card will be less than 1000 euros.
post #970 of 1094 Old 08-01-2019, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Same price add on for SP4 as for Storm?

Post edit:
While at it, what would be the new MSRP of the processor with the new HDMI 2.1 board?
Will it be todays price + roughly $1k?

Bryston SP4/ATI AT527/Panasonic DP-UB9000/LG OLED 65E6V

Last edited by Extreman; 08-01-2019 at 03:33 PM.
post #971 of 1094 Old 08-01-2019, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
I'm betting that your dealer (or StormAudio direct) can arrange a discounted upgrade to the HDMI 7+2 (secondhand or NOS) as they transition to the HDMI 7+2 eARC.
It says 18Gbps in the new spec, but isn’t full port speed for HDMI 2.1 48Gbps?

post #972 of 1094 Old 08-01-2019, 07:29 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 237 Post(s)
Quoted: 5442 Post(s)
Liked: 4941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreman View Post
It says 18Gbps in the new spec, but isn’t full port speed for HDMI 2.1 48Gbps?
I did my best to answer comprehensively: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...l#post58347600

Perhaps you missed the post or the link: https://www.displaydaily.com/paid-ne...proof-solution
post #973 of 1094 Old 08-02-2019, 03:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I did my best to answer comprehensively: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...l#post58347600

Perhaps you missed the post or the link: https://www.displaydaily.com/paid-ne...proof-solution
Ok, I see that the following info in your post:
‘This allows the data rate to increase from 1 Mbps with ARC to 37 Mbps with eARC’ is not mentioned anywhere (or intentionally left out) in the press release, which leads to confusion on my side. The 18Gbps speed is often mentioned, though...

What is my top priority is that I want to replace this card once (in the SP4 life cycle) and only do software upgrades after that.
If I have to wait for 2.1a/b/c involving incompatible hardware and chip upgrades I will wait with upgrading the board.

Last edited by Extreman; 08-02-2019 at 04:29 PM.
post #974 of 1094 Old 08-03-2019, 09:29 PM

SP4 owners - firmware 3.5r2 is out now.

Does anyone happen to have the full change log?
Extreman likes this.

post #975 of 1094 Old 08-04-2019, 04:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashankmittal View Post
SP4 owners - firmware 3.5r2 is out now.

Does anyone happen to have the full change log?
I successfully made the upgrade, but find it strange that there is no release note accompanying the release as you point out.

post #976 of 1094 Old 08-04-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
I successfully made the upgrade, but find it strange that there is no release note accompanying the release as you point out.
Yeah, Bryston doesn't provide release notes. When 3.5r1 was released, I had to send them an email and then they provided me the release notes.
I'll talk to my contact there and try to convince them to provide release notes in future.
Bigmoviefan and Extreman like this.

post #977 of 1094 Old 08-08-2019, 03:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

PMC at Cedia:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.ph...576#msg1754576

post #978 of 1094 Old 08-08-2019, 06:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked: 473
PMC has been at CEDIA several years running. Now I did not go last year.

Their upper end products are insanely good.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #979 of 1094 Old 08-09-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
While PMC sells an "activated" range with analog inputs and passive crossovers. At CEDIA they have always shown their fully active loudspeakers featuring AES digital input, DSP processing and well as active amplification.

While StormAudio offers digital AES outputs (at a steep price IMO), Bryston does not AFAIK. Also, PMC may require more than 16ch for their booth this year.

My mains are fully active and digital is a reason I am migrating from the SP4 to Trinnov A16.
Extreman likes this.
post #980 of 1094 Old 08-09-2019, 11:02 PM

I will now go live too, StormAudio with Digital AVB access and ASCENDO speakers. Trinnov-32 does not even get used to these performances. The dynamics are unique. One should remember, the Trinnovs are measured with Profi Micro, Storm / Bryston measure the most with UMIK, Storm / Brysten is calibrated with Profi Micro, the sound is significantly better than Trinnov-16. The testers here have also noted significant difference in sound between Trinnov 16 and 32, just like me:
https://www.lowbeats.de/test-trinnov...mplitude-16/2/
Extreman likes this.
post #981 of 1094 Old 08-09-2019, 11:19 PM

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
While PMC sells an "activated" range with analog inputs and passive crossovers. At CEDIA they have always shown their fully active loudspeakers featuring AES digital input, DSP processing and well as active amplification.

While StormAudio offers digital AES outputs (at a steep price IMO), Bryston does not AFAIK. Also, PMC may require more than 16ch for their booth this year.

My mains are fully active and digital is a reason I am migrating from the SP4 to Trinnov A16.
I thought the Trinnov Altitude 16 doesn't have digital out (apart from 2 x Spdif). Thought that was on of the difference to the Altitude 32. I know it has those Network Audio connectors but they aren't enabled yet as far as I'm aware.
post #982 of 1094 Old 08-10-2019, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apgood View Post
I thought the Trinnov Altitude 16 doesn't have digital out (apart from 2 x Spdif). Thought that was on of the difference to the Altitude 32. I know it has those Network Audio connectors but they aren't enabled yet as far as I'm aware.
I confirmed with Trinnov prior to purchase. The A16 S/PDIF output is what I will be using. Only my front LCR are active and only my L&R DSP is being updated with digital inputs (Funk Audio). One can connect/convert S/PDIF to AES/EBU inputs.
https://www.rane.com/note149.html

ALTITUDE16 USER MANUAL
APPENDIX 12.1 _INSERT AN EXTERNAL STEREO DAC
Quote:
The analog outputs 1-2 are duplicated on the stereo analog SE outputs, AES outputs 1-2, as well as the SPDIF RCA and optical stereo outputs.
Apgood likes this.
post #983 of 1094 Old 08-10-2019, 06:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I will now go live too, StormAudio with Digital AVB access and ASCENDO speakers. Trinnov-32 does not even get used to these performances. The dynamics are unique. One should remember, the Trinnovs are measured with Profi Micro, Storm / Bryston measure the most with UMIK, Storm / Brysten is calibrated with Profi Micro, the sound is significantly better than Trinnov-16. The testers here have also noted significant difference in sound between Trinnov 16 and 32, just like me:
Are you saying that the Storm/Bryston can be calibrated with the Trinnov 3D mic?

post #984 of 1094 Old 08-10-2019, 06:40 AM
Rise & Grind

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Quote:
I've owned both processors. They both sound excellent. To say one sounds better than the other is like splitting hairs. Obviously the A16 is more expensive so it comes down to the optimizer and any additional features to make the extra cost worth it. That's completely based on the individuals needs and wants.
Marc Alexander, RUR and llang269 like this.

Trinnov Altitude 16, Magico A3, Magico ACC, Magico A1s, Dual Rythmik FV25HP
Amps- ATI AT523NC, AT524NC, AT528NC
Kaleidescape Terra Server/Strato, Oppo UDP-203, Apple TV4k, XFinity X1
Sony VPL-VW5000, 136" 2.35:1 Stewart Studiotek 100 screen, Lumagen Pro 4242
post #985 of 1094 Old 08-10-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Most of what you wrote is lost in translation for me. According to what I read, the testers noticed subtle, not significant differences.

Maybe there is some ownership justification/validation going on here.

If the SP4 sounds truly performs signifantly better than the Altitude16, I will keep the SP4.
post #986 of 1094 Old 08-10-2019, 08:21 AM

At the test, LM says at 48:08 if he had to take out a device from StormAudio / Datasat / Lyndorf / Trinnov-32 and Trinnov-16, then he would take out the Trinnov-16, the Kling only 98% compared to the others. With him in the studio you can hear all. He has several Datasat customers who have switched to StormAudio. I meter with the Micro from the Datasat, Trinnov does not fit, the difference to UMIK is enormous.
post #987 of 1094 Old 08-10-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
At the test, LM says at 48:08 if he had to take out a device from StormAudio / Datasat / Lyndorf / Trinnov-32 and Trinnov-16, then he would take out the Trinnov-16, the Kling only 98% compared to the others. With him in the studio you can hear all. He has several Datasat customers who have switched to StormAudio. I meter with the Micro from the Datasat, Trinnov does not fit, the difference to UMIK is enormous.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWtlIpttf6s
I think 98% is a respectable assessment of the A16. However, your opinion that the UMIK/Dirac solution is superior to the Trinnov Optimizer is an abberance as far as I'm concerned.
llang269 and dinamigym like this.
post #988 of 1094 Old 08-10-2019, 09:46 AM
Rise & Grind

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Quote:
I think 98% is a respectable assessment of the A16. However, your opinion that the UMIK/Dirac solution is superior to the Trinnov Optimizer is an abberance as far as I'm concerned.
Now thats impressive!
llang269 likes this.

Trinnov Altitude 16, Magico A3, Magico ACC, Magico A1s, Dual Rythmik FV25HP
Amps- ATI AT523NC, AT524NC, AT528NC
Kaleidescape Terra Server/Strato, Oppo UDP-203, Apple TV4k, XFinity X1
Sony VPL-VW5000, 136" 2.35:1 Stewart Studiotek 100 screen, Lumagen Pro 4242
post #989 of 1094 Old 08-10-2019, 10:28 AM

I never said that Dirac is superior to the Trinnov Optimizer. Will probably be due to the Google translation.
Since won one in the lottery.
post #990 of 1094 Old 08-10-2019, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:
Spoiler!
Nice Marc, I think you're officially Madhuski Jr. A few more swaps and you'll be a full @madhuski .
madhuski likes this.

Lyngdorf MP-50 | Yamaha MX-A5200 | Ascend Sierra Towers | Ascend Sierra Horizon | Ascend Sierra Lunas | Ascend HTM-200SE | SVS SB-13 x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
auro-3d , dolby atmos , dts:x , i.isp , stormaudio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page