StormAudio I.ISP 3D.16.12 16-Channel Integrated AV Processor Hands-On - Page 38 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 539Likes

post #1111 of 1166 Old 10-04-2019, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post
I would like to know this as well because this has been what's keeping me from purchasing the unit. I really want 96kHz minimum especially seeing as the competitors are all 96kHz (Trinnov Alt16, Datasat LS10, Theta Casablanca IVa) and the Trinnov Altitude32 is capable of up to 192kHz.
I believe the new board will facilitate operating at 96khz but will confirm.

HT/Music Atmos setup with Scaena line arrays and Storm Audio processor

http://www.outreachav.com
Dealer for Paradigm/Anthem, NAD, Hegel, Storm Audio, PS Audio, more... PM about demos/specials
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1112 of 1166 Old 10-04-2019, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
StormAudio stays at 48, there is no reason to go to 96 or 192.
That's unfortunate and makes no sense given that there is the high res audio market i.e. HDTracks etc. not to mention 96/24 concert Blu-rays so not being able to run internally at least at 96 is an oversight. Dirac can certainly handle it as evidenced on the Theta and Datasat products.

post #1113 of 1166 Old 10-04-2019, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblnr View Post
Thanks, that would be great to know for sure.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1114 of 1166 Old 10-04-2019, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Anyone have an idea why this new HDMI board is not HDMI 2.1? It's odd they went with 2.0b when LG in their OLED's have implemented 2.1 earlier in the Spring. Even more odd, of the 3 main 2.1 features being implemented within the 2.0b spec by various manufacturers (some only doing 1 like Storm while others have 2 out of the 3) they chose to just include eARC and not VRR and ALLM.

post #1115 of 1166 Old 10-04-2019, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
With the new board it is possible, only Storm does not want it.
post #1116 of 1166 Old 10-04-2019, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1047 Post(s)
Liked: 615
STOP about the sampling rate stuff, there's probably good reason Storm doesn't want it -- HF data you can't hear entering the audio stream because of aliasing from higher sample rates can cause equipment (speakers / amps) to oscillate and sound less accurate (I'd use worse, but that's subjective).

Don't say you "need it", you don't -- if Storm processes internally at 48Khz and 24-bit that's more than adequate; to think otherwise is to eschew psycho-acoustics. In this area, I'd say focus on how the unit sounds and not that they aren't overcharging you for CPU power to handle higher-than-necessary sample rates.

Just MHO -- I'm out.
Mashie Saldana and llang269 like this.
post #1117 of 1166 Old 10-04-2019, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I take your point and that makes sense for those recordings which are simply remastered to 96 (or above) from a 44.1 original. However for content being mastered from the analog source to 96 (or above) I don't then want to be feeding that into a unit that is going to down sample to 48, I want the source rate, from input to output.

post #1118 of 1166 Old 10-04-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post
STOP about the sampling rate stuff, there's probably good reason Storm doesn't want it -- HF data you can't hear entering the audio stream because of aliasing from higher sample rates can cause equipment (speakers / amps) to oscillate and sound less accurate (I'd use worse, but that's subjective).

Don't say you "need it", you don't -- if Storm processes internally at 48Khz and 24-bit that's more than adequate; to think otherwise is to eschew psycho-acoustics. In this area, I'd say focus on how the unit sounds and not that they aren't overcharging you for CPU power to handle higher-than-necessary sample rates.

Just MHO -- I'm out.
I can only agree.
post #1119 of 1166 Old 10-04-2019, 11:14 AM

Input sample rate is supported until 192.
post #1120 of 1166 Old 10-04-2019, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Input sample rate is supported until 192.
Correct however the internal processing rate (both with and without Dirac) is currently limited to 48 thus anything above 48 coming into the unit is down sampled.
llang269 likes this.

post #1121 of 1166 Old 10-04-2019, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1047 Post(s)
Liked: 615
Quote:
Correct however the internal processing rate (both with and without Dirac) is currently limited to 48 thus anything above 48 coming into the unit is down sampled.
With similar effects to applying a low-pass x-over at 20-ish kHz -- OMG, THE HORROR! I'd say they do you the favor of getting rid of HF artifacts in the input signal.
Mashie Saldana likes this.
post #1122 of 1166 Old 10-06-2019, 06:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The new motherboard will work at 96khz, though processing will be at 48khz at the time of release. A software update will follow to enable 96khz.

There will be an upgrade program for current units to the new model. It’s a motherboard swap primarily. Sound quality improves due to better audio processing and an improved analog/digital volume control ( always an important factor in SQ), among other things.

Software updates are ongoing and interesting. One feature to come is directional bass management for those with multiple subs. You could, for ex., route bass from all your rear speakers to your rear sub as a broad example — toward the upper end of your crossover point where bass becomes more directional, this would have the bass coming from the right direction. Pretty cool.

Dealer for Paradigm/Anthem, NAD, Hegel, Storm Audio, PS Audio, more... PM about demos/specials
post #1123 of 1166 Old 10-06-2019, 06:52 AM

That sounds good. Thank you for the information.
post #1124 of 1166 Old 10-06-2019, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The new motherboard will work at 96khz, though processing will be at 48khz at the time of release. A software update will follow to enable 96khz.

There will be an upgrade program for current units to the new model. It’s a motherboard swap primarily. Sound quality improves due to better audio processing and an improved analog/digital volume control ( always an important factor in SQ), among other things.

Software updates are ongoing and interesting. One feature to come is directional bass management for those with multiple subs. You could, for ex., route bass from all your rear speakers to your rear sub as a broad example — toward the upper end of your crossover point where bass becomes more directional, this would have the bass coming from the right direction. Pretty cool.
Thanks for the info

post #1125 of 1166 Old 10-06-2019, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Curious, what DAC's do these units use? I don't think I've read that anywhere.

Last edited by Rod#S; 10-06-2019 at 08:46 AM.
post #1126 of 1166 Old 10-06-2019, 09:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Thank you for the info!
I need to change my HDMI board to a new board (to get HDR, I have a solution now with Vertex2 but it is not a permanent solution for me), do you think it is worth while to change to the new HDMI board now and they later one upgrade to the new motherboard or will it be a solution for the upgrade were I even the HDMI board will be upgraded in the same process?

BR
Fredrik
post #1127 of 1166 Old 10-06-2019, 10:09 AM

For the MK2 upgrade you need the new HDMI board.
post #1128 of 1166 Old 10-06-2019, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked: 1079
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post
With similar effects to applying a low-pass x-over at 20-ish kHz -- OMG, THE HORROR! I'd say they do you the favor of getting rid of HF artifacts in the input signal.
But think of the poor dogs, they will miss out on all that lovely 20+kHz content.
DreamWarrior likes this.

Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room
Input : Nvidia Shield TV, Panasonic DMP-UB400
Magic : Marantz SR7010, Marantz SR6010, 2x NAD T743
Output : Panasonic TX65EZ952B, SVS PB13 Ultra, Monitor Audio GSLCR 2xGS20 2xGS10 4xGSFX 6xBX1
post #1129 of 1166 Old 10-06-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
For the MK2 upgrade you need the new HDMI board.
Ok, great, just wanted to make sure that I didnt ordered the new HDMI board just to find out that a few months later comes the MK2 upgrade offer which include the HDMI board upgrade
But then I go ahead to order the HDMI board asap
Thank you for the support [email protected]

BR
Fredrik
post #1130 of 1166 Old 10-06-2019, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredrikb125 View Post
Thank you for the info!
I need to change my HDMI board to a new board (to get HDR, I have a solution now with Vertex2 but it is not a permanent solution for me), do you think it is worth while to change to the new HDMI board now and they later one upgrade to the new motherboard or will it be a solution for the upgrade were I even the HDMI board will be upgraded in the same process?

BR
Fredrik
Details on the upgrade process are coming soon. Don’t know whether the HDMI card/motherboard will be a package or individual upgrades — I would strongly guess the former as the card is avail now and the mkII version and all that entails is down the road. Will try to find out.

Meantime, will be installing the new HDMI board in our demo on Monday and will report.

post #1131 of 1166 Old 10-06-2019, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Details on the upgrade process are coming soon. Don’t know whether the HDMI card/motherboard will be a package or individual upgrades — I would strongly guess the former as the card is avail now and the mkII version and all that entails is down the road. Will try to find out.

Meantime, will be installing the new HDMI board in our demo on Monday and will report.
Thank you, I might hold of with the HDMI upgraded until the MK2 upgrade info is out.
Looking forward to hear about the initial impressions from the upgraded HDMI board from you.

BR
Fredrik
post #1132 of 1166 Old 10-07-2019, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

In a very short audition, the card switches more quickly than the old card. Installed without a hitch, immediately recognized by the installer program as was the upgraded four channel module I installed at the same time. Will fill in some more after spending some more time. Two cool points:

- I knew Storm had a partner in the pro video world to design the card, turns out this was Panasonic. That's a wow to me -- a very heavy hitting partner to have w/obviously huge resources in video engineering. The benefit of this card is not only its performance, but also that Storm is not dependent on MDS or any of the other OEM companies for HDMI solutions and the delays that always come with that not only with hardware, but software fixes as well.

- Wow II, OSD IS COMING with this card by end of this yr or early next. I think the Storm has by far the best UI/ergonomics of any processor on the market, yet has tremendous flexibility and power to configure a system and tailor sound. The superior UI, ergonomics and sound, along with rock solid stability (rare and indicative of the quality of the software engineering/platform) make ti the best processor on the market IMO. We can talk about the DACs, this feature or that, etc., but like anything special, it's something you really have to see, hear and use to really appreciate how it is more than the sum of its excellent parts. My one UI gripe -- lack of OSD -- has been addressed. You won't have to look away from the screen anymore.

- Another coming feature of the card is full video matrix ability. This means you could run two independent theaters off of one processor, sending any video and audio to either zone. Though not a concern for many, impressive nonetheless.

The platform continues to evolve and improve -- as noted, directional bass management coming soon, a lot more exciting things in the pipeline.
Marc Alexander likes this.

post #1133 of 1166 Old 10-07-2019, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
In a very short audition, the card switches more quickly than the old card. Installed without a hitch, immediately recognized by the installer program as was the upgraded four channel module I installed at the same time. ...

Thanks Robert. Did you hear sonic differences with new 4 CH card for L/R/C? Curious :-)

Regards,
Kishore
post #1134 of 1166 Old 10-07-2019, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishore View Post
Thanks Robert. Did you hear sonic differences with new 4 CH card for L/R/C? Curious :-)

Regards,
Kishore
In a very brief audition -- played a few music tracks via the older outputs, switched to the new and replayed -- I did. More low level resolution at least.

I'll setup a more proper test w/a live switcher when I get the chance for a more informed, comprehensive opinion.

post #1135 of 1166 Old 10-07-2019, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
In a very short audition, the card switches more quickly than the old card. Installed without a hitch, immediately recognized by the installer program as was the upgraded four channel module I installed at the same time. Will fill in some more after spending some more time. Two cool points:

- I knew Storm had a partner in the pro video world to design the card, turns out this was Panasonic. That's a wow to me -- a very heavy hitting partner to have w/obviously huge resources in video engineering. The benefit of this card is not only its performance, but also that Storm is not dependent on MDS or any of the other OEM companies for HDMI solutions and the delays that always come with that not only with hardware, but software fixes as well.

- Wow II, OSD IS COMING with this card by end of this yr or early next. I think the Storm has by far the best UI/ergonomics of any processor on the market, yet has tremendous flexibility and power to configure a system and tailor sound. The superior UI, ergonomics and sound, along with rock solid stability (rare and indicative of the quality of the software engineering/platform) make ti the best processor on the market IMO. We can talk about the DACs, this feature or that, etc., but like anything special, it's something you really have to see, hear and use to really appreciate how it is more than the sum of its excellent parts. My one UI gripe -- lack of OSD -- has been addressed. You won't have to look away from the screen anymore.

- Another coming feature of the card is full video matrix ability. This means you could run two independent theaters off of one processor, sending any video and audio to either zone. Though not a concern for many, impressive nonetheless.

The platform continues to evolve and improve -- as noted, directional bass management coming soon, a lot more exciting things in the pipeline.
I'm not really sure how much of a feather in the Storm Audio cap so to speak having partnered with Panasonic for the HDMI actually is. I say that because it sounds like the implementation from a video perspective of HDMI by Storm is strictly video pass through thus they are not getting Panasonic's HCX Pro Intelligent processor which is quite the piece of kit. Also when it comes to video capability Panasonic have not managed to implement ALLM or VRR yet so they lag behind LG in that respect. Sure LG have implemented actual HDMI 2.1 but VRR and ALLM are both available to be implemented within the HDMI 2.0b spec. It will possibly be a good thing that Storm have broken away from MDS which may and I say may lead to faster hardware updates in the future but that of course remains to be seen. I'm not sure if it will matter yet but a board with HDMI 2.0b and correct me if I'm wrong can not transmit native 8k, you need true 2.1 for that. And I say it may not matter yet because is there actually any true 8k content available anywhere, Youtube, etc.???

post #1136 of 1166 Old 10-07-2019, 11:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
I'm not really sure how much of a feather in the Storm Audio cap so to speak having partnered with Panasonic for the HDMI actually is. I say that because it sounds like the implementation from a video perspective of HDMI by Storm is strictly video pass through thus they are not getting Panasonic's HCX Pro Intelligent processor which is quite the piece of kit. Also when it comes to video capability Panasonic have not managed to implement ALLM or VRR yet so they lag behind LG in that respect. Sure LG have implemented actual HDMI 2.1 but VRR and ALLM are both available to be implemented within the HDMI 2.0b spec. It will possibly be a good thing that Storm have broken away from MDS which may and I say may lead to faster hardware updates in the future but that of course remains to be seen. I'm not sure if it will matter yet but a board with HDMI 2.0b and correct me if I'm wrong can not transmit native 8k, you need true 2.1 for that. And I say it may not matter yet because is there actually any true 8k content available anywhere, Youtube, etc.???
true 8K content is practically nonexistent right now. I think the big thing I am interested with the new HDMI board is it will allow you to have “on screen display” after they do a firmware update in 3 or 4 months.
Extreman likes this.
post #1137 of 1166 Old 10-08-2019, 04:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmoviefan View Post
true 8K content is practically nonexistent right now. I think the big thing I am interested with the new HDMI board is it will allow you to have “on screen display” after they do a firmware update in 3 or 4 months.
OSD over HDMI will be a nice thing to have.

post #1138 of 1166 Old 10-08-2019, 04:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Is the USB input on these units equipped to handle audio or is it strictly for data i.e. firmware update etc.?

Also with respect to the HDMI implementation, can the audio and video from different inputs be mixed and matched? For example, say mixing the video feed from input one with the audio feed from input 2? Or can the HDMI be mixed with other inputs, say the video from HDMI input 1 with the audio from say Coax 1?

post #1139 of 1166 Old 10-08-2019, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Is the USB input on these units equipped to handle audio or is it strictly for data i.e. firmware update etc.?

Also with respect to the HDMI implementation, can the audio and video from different inputs be mixed and matched? For example, say mixing the video feed from input one with the audio feed from input 2? Or can the HDMI be mixed with other inputs, say the video from HDMI input 1 with the audio from say Coax 1?
No on the USB, it's for servicing. FIrmware updates are down over your network.

Yes on inputs, everything in that regard is configurable any way you want it. Additional parameters as well such as delay can be assigned to an input.

Last edited by rblnr; 10-08-2019 at 07:49 AM.
post #1140 of 1166 Old 10-08-2019, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No on the USB, it's for servicing. FIrmware updates are down over your network.

Yes on inputs, everything in that regard is configurable any way you want it. You can go further by assigning default profiles to each input which can include all kinds of additional parameters -- surround codecs, room correction files, speaker configurations, channel balances, etc.
Thanks

Has there been any interest from Storm in enabling the USB for audio?

From what I can tell it doesn't have traditional AES/EBU XLR style inputs, I do see AES/EBU is available via one of the expansion slots however they are in RJ45 format so I'm not sure if those are intended for the same purpose as the more common XLR style inputs which you would normally only ever see 1 or 2 on a SSP. I mention it because I currently listen to my digital music from a AES/EBU cable. My player does also have USB and a single BNC style SPDIF out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
auro-3d , dolby atmos , dts:x , i.isp , stormaudio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page