AC Infinity Aircom...worth it? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 Old 08-22-2017, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BigCoolJesus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,011
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2108 Post(s)
Liked: 1710
AC Infinity Aircom...worth it?

Hey all. Just upgraded to a Yamaha RXA2060 which is inside a small rack mount cabinet with a front door but open back. I have about 2" of clearance from the top of the Yamaha to the next rack mount shelf.

I'm not having overheating issues but it does get pretty hot inside the cabinet when I check at random times. Wondering if an AC Infinity Aircom is worth adding even if it's not overheating?

Wasn't sure the consensus on proactively keeping equipment cool running and how it helps for longevity or stability issues as time goes on.

Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
BigCoolJesus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 47 Old 08-22-2017, 01:56 PM
Senior Member
 
rfb6435's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Phoenix, AZ area
Posts: 384
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post
Hey all. Just upgraded to a Yamaha RXA2060 which is inside a small rack mount cabinet with a front door but open back. I have about 2" of clearance from the top of the Yamaha to the next rack mount shelf.

I'm not having overheating issues but it does get pretty hot inside the cabinet when I check at random times. Wondering if an AC Infinity Aircom is worth adding even if it's not overheating?

Wasn't sure the consensus on proactively keeping equipment cool running and how it helps for longevity or stability issues as time goes on.

Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
An external cooling fan is definitely worth it if you don't have the manufacturer required clearances.

The AC infinity units look nice and is probably the best solution if you need to stack components because you can put a rear exit AC infinity unit between them.

With just one unit and nothing on top a USB powered laptop cooler works well and is really cheap.I have posted about it in some other threads.

-Rich

Quad Marantz AVR 9.2.(4+2) Atmos/DTS:X using Dual sr7010's + Dual scAtmos nr1403's
Marantz MM8003 150W/ch Amplifier Driving (L/C/R/SL/SR/SBL/SBR)
HTD Speakers L3 Tower L/R, L3 Center, Dual 12" L3 Subs, L2 Tower SL/SR, L2 Bkshlf SBL/SBR, Flat Panel WL/WR, Angled 6.5" In Ceiling FH/RH, 8" In Ceiling TM
Epson 5040UB Faux-K/3D with 106" Multi-Format Screen.
rfb6435 is offline  
post #3 of 47 Old 08-22-2017, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BigCoolJesus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,011
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2108 Post(s)
Liked: 1710
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb6435 View Post
An external cooling fan is definitely worth it if you don't have the manufacturer required clearances.

The AC infinity units look nice and is probably the best solution if you need to stack components because you can put a rear exit AC infinity unit between them.

With just one unit and nothing on top a USB powered laptop cooler works well and is really cheap.I have posted about it in some other threads.

-Rich
Thanks. I'll look into the S8 Aircom than. They only need 1.5" of clearance and I have 2" so the rear exhaust option would work great.

I'll also keep this in mind when I move next summer and get a bigger rack mount enclosure to fit full frontal rack mount fans between components.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
BigCoolJesus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 47 Old 08-22-2017, 06:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 83,338
Mentioned: 719 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22193 Post(s)
Liked: 12054
The AC Infinity T8 would indeed be a worthwhile investment not to mention best to keep the cabinet front door open while the AVR is in use.
jwill911 likes this.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #5 of 47 Old 08-22-2017, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BigCoolJesus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,011
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2108 Post(s)
Liked: 1710
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
The AC Infinity T8 would indeed be a worthwhile investment not to mention best to keep the cabinet front door open while the AVR is in use.
Just bought the T8

And glad I did. Used my temp gun (for my reptile cages) and its around 105 degrees on top of the receiver after near reference movie watching. Yikes!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
jwill911 likes this.

Last edited by BigCoolJesus; 08-22-2017 at 06:17 PM.
BigCoolJesus is offline  
post #6 of 47 Old 08-22-2017, 06:25 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 83,338
Mentioned: 719 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22193 Post(s)
Liked: 12054
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post
Just bought the T8

And glad I did. Used my temp gun (for my reptile cages) and its around 105 degrees on top of the receiver after near reference movie watching. Yikes!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Yup. The thermostat is a nice feature. I use one as well.
jwill911 likes this.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #7 of 47 Old 08-22-2017, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BigCoolJesus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,011
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2108 Post(s)
Liked: 1710
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Yup. The thermostat is a nice feature. I use one as well.
Mine will be here Friday and I'm probably going to use the Smart mode. But at what temperature should I have the maximum fan setting come on?

I've read 95 degrees should be the upper temp limit for components. Wasn't sure if it can go slightly higher if I'm programming the fan to ramp up.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
BigCoolJesus is offline  
post #8 of 47 Old 08-23-2017, 12:51 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 83,338
Mentioned: 719 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22193 Post(s)
Liked: 12054
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post
Mine will be here Friday and I'm probably going to use the Smart mode. But at what temperature should I have the maximum fan setting come on?

I've read 95 degrees should be the upper temp limit for components. Wasn't sure if it can go slightly higher if I'm programming the fan to ramp up.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Depends on how often you want the fans to come on. I use 95.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #9 of 47 Old 08-24-2017, 06:31 PM
Member
 
jwill911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Alameda, CA
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Aircom Tx, AVR Component cooling

Hello,
First is anyone familiar with these component cooler devices? It sounds ideal for my situation. I just bought a Pioneer Elite SC-LX701 AVR to replace my VSX27TX that is failing. My media cabinet is not ideal for heat generating components. I purchased some custom perforated steel panels to replace the glass in the front doors and removed the back panel so it has more air flow.
Aircom makes many models, I'm thinking the AIRCOM T8, exhaust to the rear would work best as the exhaust to the top is not ideal since the head room is minimal.
Here's the blurb from their website:

Product Features

  • A quiet fan system designed for cooling receivers, amplifiers, DVRs, and other AV components.
  • Protects components from overheating, performance issues, and shortened lifespans.
  • LCD thermostat programming with six speed controls, alarm alerts, failure triggers, and memory.
  • Contains three dual-ball bearing blowers with PWM-controlled motors to minimize noise.
  • Dimensions: 17 x 13.5 x 1.5 in. | Exhaust: Rear | Airflow: 160 CFM | Noise: 24 dBA | Technical Data Tab
Product Description

A quiet cooling fan system designed to be placed on top of AV components such as receivers, amplifiers, and DVRs. Maintaining an optimal temperature for components prevents overheating, ensures constant performance, and extends their lifespan. The LCD digital controller on the front of the system features a smart thermostat with speed control and status alerts. The steel enclosure houses three dual-ball bearing blowers that pulls heat out of the component and exhausts out the rear. Its slim low-profile design enables the unit to fit in tight spaces. On the backside are ports to connect and control additional fans. Includes corded power adapter to plug the fan system through an outlet.
Thanks for your input,
John

jwill911 is offline  
post #10 of 47 Old 08-25-2017, 12:34 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 83,338
Mentioned: 719 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22193 Post(s)
Liked: 12054
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwill911 View Post
Hello,
First is anyone familiar with these component cooler devices?
Have you read this thread?
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #11 of 47 Old 08-25-2017, 04:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Moderator
 
rboster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 24,888
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1600 Post(s)
Liked: 2196
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwill911 View Post
Hello,
First is anyone familiar with these component cooler devices?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Have you read this thread?
JD

I merged his thread into this existing thread.....so in his defense, he wasn't aware of the information. But he should have been, if he had used the search engine.

Last edited by rboster; 08-25-2017 at 05:35 AM.
rboster is online now  
post #12 of 47 Old 08-25-2017, 05:42 AM
Senior Member
 
gregcss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 417
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Thanks to you all I have the T8 expected to be delivered tomorrow.
gregcss is offline  
post #13 of 47 Old 08-25-2017, 08:41 AM
Member
 
jwill911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Alameda, CA
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwill911 View Post
Hello,
First is anyone familiar with these component cooler devices? It sounds ideal for my situation. I just bought a Pioneer Elite SC-LX701 AVR to replace my VSX27TX that is failing. My media cabinet is not ideal for heat generating components. I purchased some custom perforated steel panels to replace the glass in the front doors and removed the back panel so it has more air flow.
Aircom makes many models, I'm thinking the AIRCOM T8, exhaust to the rear would work best as the exhaust to the top is not ideal since the head room is minimal.
Here's the blurb from their website:

Product Features

  • A quiet fan system designed for cooling receivers, amplifiers, DVRs, and other AV components.
  • Protects components from overheating, performance issues, and shortened lifespans.
  • LCD thermostat programming with six speed controls, alarm alerts, failure triggers, and memory.
  • Contains three dual-ball bearing blowers with PWM-controlled motors to minimize noise.
  • Dimensions: 17 x 13.5 x 1.5 in. | Exhaust: Rear | Airflow: 160 CFM | Noise: 24 dBA | Technical Data Tab
Product Description

A quiet cooling fan system designed to be placed on top of AV components such as receivers, amplifiers, and DVRs. Maintaining an optimal temperature for components prevents overheating, ensures constant performance, and extends their lifespan. The LCD digital controller on the front of the system features a smart thermostat with speed control and status alerts. The steel enclosure houses three dual-ball bearing blowers that pulls heat out of the component and exhausts out the rear. Its slim low-profile design enables the unit to fit in tight spaces. On the backside are ports to connect and control additional fans. Includes corded power adapter to plug the fan system through an outlet.
Thanks for your input,
John

Sorry for the duplicate post. I'll use the search feature in the future.
I believe I'll get the Aircom T8 (rear exhaust), I have a few inches clearance above, the rear is open and I'm replacing the glass in the cabinet doors with perforated steel. In the past I've left the doors of the cabinet open when the receiver was on.
John
jwill911 is offline  
post #14 of 47 Old 08-25-2017, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 83,338
Mentioned: 719 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22193 Post(s)
Liked: 12054
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post
JD

I merged his thread into this existing thread.....so in his defense, he wasn't aware of the information. But he should have been, if he had used the search engine.
Ah ... makes sense. Thanks.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #15 of 47 Old 08-25-2017, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BigCoolJesus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,011
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2108 Post(s)
Liked: 1710
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Ah ... makes sense. Thanks.
Does your fan failure icon show up even though all three fans are working fine?

Just hooked mine up and the failure icon is on but it's working fine. Not sure if I should exchange it just in case or not.

***Nevermind. Just re-read the manual. It says it will flash when a fan fails.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
BigCoolJesus is offline  
post #16 of 47 Old 08-26-2017, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Moderator
 
rboster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 24,888
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1600 Post(s)
Liked: 2196
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Ah ... makes sense. Thanks.
JD:

Until this thread (thanks BigCoolJesus), I never noticed the heat of the Denon. None of my separate amps (Emotiva(s) and Newcastle) get "hot," but the Denon certainly does.

Do you have an opinion on the use the Aircom S8 vs the smaller S6 for use with the Denon 6200? I'm rack mounted in a large walk-in closet.

Thanks

Ron
rboster is online now  
post #17 of 47 Old 08-26-2017, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BigCoolJesus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,011
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2108 Post(s)
Liked: 1710
An update on my first 24hrs of usage with the T8 and Yamaha 2060 in my very small rack mount cabinet (front door closed).

Ambient temperature on top of the receiver after being off for a while was 73 degrees. After one hour of usage with the T8, it got up to 85 degrees and holds steady from 85-88 degrees.

I have the T8 setup so fan speed one kicks on at 82 degrees, speed two at 86 degrees, speed three at 90 degrees and speed four at 94 degrees.

Fan speed two is barely audible when I mute the sound and listen from my MLP. Speed three is slightly louder but not discernible with sound playing. Speed four can be heard as a low hum if the sound level of the receiver is low, such as casual content watching.

Will be doing a marathon of near reference movie watching today so I will see how it does with that.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
BigCoolJesus is offline  
post #18 of 47 Old 08-26-2017, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jonas2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Bay Area
Posts: 5,643
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2815 Post(s)
Liked: 1777
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post
Mine will be here Friday and I'm probably going to use the Smart mode. But at what temperature should I have the maximum fan setting come on?

I've read 95 degrees should be the upper temp limit for components. Wasn't sure if it can go slightly higher if I'm programming the fan to ramp up.
Differing opinions on this - I think it was on Audioholics that I read 85F being a good max. temp, though perhaps not always practical. I personally think pushing into the 90s is not great but acceptable, and over 100F will short-live components. Not a thermal nor electrical engineers, so take that for what it is......

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwill911 View Post
Sorry for the duplicate post. I'll use the search feature in the future.
I believe I'll get the Aircom T8 (rear exhaust), I have a few inches clearance above, the rear is open and I'm replacing the glass in the cabinet doors with perforated steel. In the past I've left the doors of the cabinet open when the receiver was on.
Should work fine. Keep in mind you'll hear the fans a bit more with perforated doors than the glass ones. IF the cabinet has other venting like vented bottom or shelving, I think you'd be O.K. with the open back and glass doors. Try it both ways - doors closed, doors opened - will run cooler for sure with doors opened, but once you've got the T8 working, just see where the temps. land - open doors if you think you need to, otherwise leave 'em closed and cut down on fan noise a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post
Does your fan failure icon show up even though all three fans are working fine?

Just hooked mine up and the failure icon is on but it's working fine. Not sure if I should exchange it just in case or not.

***Nevermind. Just re-read the manual. It says it will flash when a fan fails.
Ha! Same thing happened to me.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post
An update on my first 24hrs of usage with the T8 and Yamaha 2060 in my very small rack mount cabinet (front door closed).

Ambient temperature on top of the receiver after being off for a while was 73 degrees. After one hour of usage with the T8, it got up to 85 degrees and holds steady from 85-88 degrees.

I have the T8 setup so fan speed one kicks on at 82 degrees, speed two at 86 degrees, speed three at 90 degrees and speed four at 94 degrees.

Fan speed two is barely audible when I mute the sound and listen from my MLP. Speed three is slightly louder but not discernible with sound playing. Speed four can be heard as a low hum if the sound level of the receiver is low, such as casual content watching.

Will be doing a marathon of near reference movie watching today so I will see how it does with that.
Yep, fans do start making noise at speed 3+, but even higher speeds at anything appreciable, esp. near reference, you won't notice them except for quiet scenes, and even that is not overly distracting. I've only got up to Speed 4 in use, with 2 degree steps, starting at 80 for 1, 82 for 2 84 for 3 and 86 for 4. Depending on house temp, it'll vary between 80-90F indicated, house temp. being warmer these days of course, 77-80 on average.

One thing I would like seeing on a unit like this is a temp. calibration feature. I'm sure it's pretty close on average, but it'd be an easy feature to add.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Jonas2 is offline  
post #19 of 47 Old 08-26-2017, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 83,338
Mentioned: 719 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22193 Post(s)
Liked: 12054
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post
JD:

Until this thread (thanks BigCoolJesus), I never noticed the heat of the Denon. None of my separate amps (Emotiva(s) and Newcastle) get "hot," but the Denon certainly does.

Do you have an opinion on the use the Aircom S8 vs the smaller S6 for use with the Denon 6200? I'm rack mounted in a large walk-in closet.

Thanks

Ron
S8 would cover the entire top surface (17") vs. only partial coverage with the S6 (12").
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #20 of 47 Old 08-26-2017, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Moderator
 
rboster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 24,888
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1600 Post(s)
Liked: 2196
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
S8 would cover the entire top surface (17") vs. only partial coverage with the S6 (12").
Yes, that was the dividing line for me....didn't know if the smaller unit would suffice or I needed total coverage....answering my own question, I guess one wouldn't know until I tried the smaller one to see if it would do the trick? For $20+, I shouldn't probably skimp.
rboster is online now  
post #21 of 47 Old 08-26-2017, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
M Code's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Cotati, CA
Posts: 11,863
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post
Hey all. Just upgraded to a Yamaha RXA2060 which is inside a small rack mount cabinet with a front door but open back. I have about 2" of clearance from the top of the Yamaha to the next rack mount shelf.

I'm not having overheating issues but it does get pretty hot inside the cabinet when I check at random times. Wondering if an AC Infinity Aircom is worth adding even if it's not overheating?

Wasn't sure the consensus on proactively keeping equipment cool running and how it helps for longevity or stability issues as time goes on.

Thanks!
Are U aware on page 2 of the Yamaha Safety Guide..
They recommend 11" free-air clearance for the top, 7" for the left/right sides and 7" rear..

"Install this sound system in a well ventilated, cool, dry, clean place - away from direct sunlight, heat sources, vibration, dust, moisture, and/or cold. For proper ventilation, allow the following minimum clearances.
Top: 30 cm, Rear: 20 cm, Sides: 20 cm.."

Note that just a 10% for an average temperature increase can decrease the unit's life/reliability by up to 40%.. I would suggest U upgrade the mounting cabinet to one with more clearance.

Just my $0.02...
M Code is online now  
post #22 of 47 Old 08-26-2017, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BigCoolJesus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,011
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2108 Post(s)
Liked: 1710
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post
Are U aware on page 2 of the Yamaha Safety Guide..
They recommend 11" free-air clearance for the top, 7" for the left/right sides and 7" rear..

"Install this sound system in a well ventilated, cool, dry, clean place - away from direct sunlight, heat sources, vibration, dust, moisture, and/or cold. For proper ventilation, allow the following minimum clearances.
Top: 30 cm, Rear: 20 cm, Sides: 20 cm.."

Note that just a 10% for an average temperature increase can decrease the unit's life/reliability by up to 40%.. I would suggest U upgrade the mounting cabinet to one with more clearance.

Just my $0.02...
I'm good to go now. Temps remained steady at 89 degrees with the AC Infinity after just watching Guardians of the Galaxy.

Sure it'd be nice to have the minimum clearance but when the unit is already 17" wide and one is using a rack mount cabinet.... Yea, no.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
BigCoolJesus is offline  
post #23 of 47 Old 08-26-2017, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
M Code's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Cotati, CA
Posts: 11,863
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post
I'm good to go now. Temps remained steady at 89 degrees with the AC Infinity after just watching Guardians of the Galaxy.

Sure it'd be nice to have the minimum clearance but when the unit is already 17" wide and one is using a rack mount cabinet.... Yea, no.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Great...
I hope all works out fine.
Regarding heat buildup, we are quite sensitive to this factor as in our AV install biz we warrant our systems for 5 years so we strive to keep the temperatures down. When the AV equipment is going into some type of furniture module, we usually have these custom designed as the majority of the readily available ones are designed by staff that have little knowledge of ventilation requirements and wire lead access..

Just my $0.02...
M Code is online now  
post #24 of 47 Old 09-08-2017, 04:52 PM
Member
 
mistergsf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Francisco CA
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I just wanted to chime in and say that I purchased a T8 immediately after seeing this thread and used the discount code someone posted (THANK YOU). These units look very, very nice and really well built. Without hesitation, I would recommend these to anyone with A/V equipment in a rack or media cabinet. I'm so satisfied with mine, I will be buying a couple more for my bedroom setup and also my server/utility closet. Especially, since they are reasonably priced.

LG OLED65B6P, Marantz SR7012, Oppo UDP-203, Emotiva BasX A-5175, AppleTV, DALI Ikon 7, Ikon 2, Ikon Vokal 2, RSL Speedwoofer 10S, Technics SL-1210G (Ortofon Bronze), ClearAudio Concept (Concept MC)
mistergsf is offline  
post #25 of 47 Old 09-08-2017, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Moderator
 
rboster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 24,888
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1600 Post(s)
Liked: 2196
Here's a link to an on-going thread on the same units in ht accessories

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/32-the...ans-hands.html
rboster is online now  
post #26 of 47 Old 09-13-2017, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JimShaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,360
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 478
About 15 days ago, I purchased the T9 along with three Mutifan S3s and one Multifan S4 from ACinifiniy. Took a couple days to receive the units.

Plugged them in for a test run. Everything worked quite well except for when I connected three fans in a series. The last fan in the series did not work as well as the front two.

Called ACinfinity. Andrew of ACinifity asked me to switch to the USB port not used to test the three fans. All three worked perfectly on the second port.

Instantly I was told there might be something wrong with one of the ports. They had a replacement in the mail to me along with a pre-paid postage back for the problem T9.

Great people to buy from.


.
rboster likes this.

8.3 Surround, protected by APC H15
Speakers: SpeakerCraft: 8 AIM8 Fives & 2 TIME Fives used as Wides
Woofers: SVS PB13-Ultra (1), HSU MBM-12 MK2 (2)
Sony XBR-75Z9D,. LG OLED55E6P
Oppo UHD-203 player, Denon X7200WA, Harmony 1100, Harmony Elite, 9 Noctua cooling fans

Last edited by JimShaw; 09-13-2017 at 02:33 PM.
JimShaw is offline  
post #27 of 47 Old 09-14-2017, 06:48 PM
Member
 
jwill911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Alameda, CA
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post
Just bought the T8

And glad I did. Used my temp gun (for my reptile cages) and its around 105 degrees on top of the receiver after near reference movie watching. Yikes!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
+1
I too just bought the Aircom T8. My new Pioneer Elite SC-LX701 has ~5 inches clearance, with the rear exhaust and the back of the cabinet open, during our recent heat wave; we don't have air conditioning the Aircom kept the temp <92 degrees. My old VSX27TX I measured 120 degrees with my heat gun. Probably why it died. For the new unit I replaced the glass doors with perforated steel and opened up the back of the cabinet and bought the T8 to protect it as much as possible.
So far I really happy with it and its quiet.
John
jwill911 is offline  
post #28 of 47 Old 10-25-2017, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tezster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mississauga, Canada
Posts: 1,706
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked: 542
I have an S8 on order, and I have a question about Smart Mode. The manual states that the fan will run at the maximum set speed at 88° F, dropping by one level every 2° F decrease - does this mean that at a certain temperature threshold, the fan will turn off? Or will it simply run at the lowest fan setting? This isn't quite clear to me.
tezster is offline  
post #29 of 47 Old 10-25-2017, 09:37 PM
Senior Member
 
Fizban19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 347
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
I have an S8 on order, and I have a question about Smart Mode. The manual states that the fan will run at the maximum set speed at 88° F, dropping by one level every 2° F decrease - does this mean that at a certain temperature threshold, the fan will turn off? Or will it simply run at the lowest fan setting? This isn't quite clear to me.
The fan would turn off at a predetermined temperature. I have an S8 and keep it running on the lowest fan setting. It is in an AV cabinet with glass doors....On the lowest setting, I don't hear the fan at all and it keeps my Denon 4300h cool. I did notice however that when the S8 is running, I can't get FM radio reception. Anyone else have this problem? I know not many people listen to FM radio anymore with all of the online streaming and whatnot, but there are a few FM stations I like to listen to. With the fan off, I get prefect FM reception....if the fan is on, no reception whatsoever.
Fizban19 is offline  
post #30 of 47 Old 10-26-2017, 05:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tezster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mississauga, Canada
Posts: 1,706
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizban19 View Post
The fan would turn off at a predetermined temperature.
Thanks - I'll be switching to an enclosed BDI media cabinet in the near future, so I'll need the extra cooling for me AVR.

As for your radio reception issue, sorry I can't help. I'm assuming you have the FM antenna connected?
tezster is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off