Least Expensive 4K w/Dolby Vision and HDR Receiver? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By gajCA
  • 1 Post By bobknavs
  • 1 Post By Blacklightning

post #1 of 6 Old 09-03-2017, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Least Expensive 4K w/Dolby Vision and HDR Receiver?

I have a very small home theater with an LG OLED YV as the centerpiece. I’m really digging watching movies in Dolby Vision on Vudu and now want to get a 4K receiver with Dolby Vision in anticipation of getting an Oppo 203 and the new (rumored) 4K Apple TV. I’d love some recommendations for an inexpensive receiver with full 4K pass through with Dolby Vision and HDR capabilities.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-03-2017, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9077 Post(s)
Liked: 6219
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTV Programmer View Post
I have a very small home theater with an LG OLED YV as the centerpiece. I’m really digging watching movies in Dolby Vision on Vudu and now want to get a 4K receiver with Dolby Vision in anticipation of getting an Oppo 203 and the new (rumored) 4K Apple TV. I’d love some recommendations for an inexpensive receiver with full 4K pass through with Dolby Vision and HDR capabilities.

Thanks in advance!
Contact Denon to see when their firmware update is available as the x300 series are very well priced at the moment.

"Currently, all our HDR (High Dynamic Range) capable AVRs support HDR10 pass-through.
In detail, HDR10 is compatible to AVR-X540BT, AVR-X1200W, AVR-X2200W, AVR-X3200W, AVR-X4200W, AVR-6200W, AVR-X7200WA, AVR-Xx300W, AVR-Xx300H and AVR-Xx400H.

For the following models, Denon will issue a firmware update to additionally support Dolby Vision and HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma) HDR pass-through:

AVR-X1300W, AVR-X2300W, AVR-X3300W, AVR-X4300H, AVR-X6300H, AVR-X7200WA.

All AVR-Xx400H models are supporting Dolby Vision passthrough out of the box. HLG passthrough will be added by later firmware update for these models."

http://denon-uk.custhelp.com/app/ans...-compatibility
PTV Programmer likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #3 of 6 Old 09-03-2017, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2328 Post(s)
Liked: 1658
I don't know what the least expensive AVR is that passes through Dolby Vision.

Possibly the Yamaha RX-V383. https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audi...3_u/index.html If you require WiFi, though, you'd need at least a 483.

In the Denon line, the DV firmware upgrade that has been promised for the AVR-X1300W (2016 model) has begun to appear. The AVR-X1400H (2017 model) has it out of the box.

The price issue can be wildly variable. If you live near a Fry's Electronics, they are famous for their in-store only sales. Accessories4less sells factory refurbs at lower prices than MSRP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 09-03-2017, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked: 855
or you can just feed your sources directly to the TV and pass the audio to any AVR.

Or better yet, If you are getting the Oppo you can plug the Apple TV into the OPPO and the OPPO will have 2 HDMI's out, one will go to the TV and the other will go to the plain AVR. Do this until you are ready to do a full Atmos system as by the time you are ready, tech will be way beyond what it is now.

The whole point of the latest AVR’s are the audio advantages. No point in spending a bunch of money just to pass video. Save your money until you are ready to up your audio game.

ANY AVR will do even an 15 year old one, as long as it has 7.1 or 5.1 line in. You can just feed the analog out from the oppo into it. This way you will get better sound than most new AVR's out right now.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-10-2017, 02:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklightning View Post
or you can just feed your sources directly to the TV and pass the audio to any AVR.

Or better yet, If you are getting the Oppo you can plug the Apple TV into the OPPO and the OPPO will have 2 HDMI's out, one will go to the TV and the other will go to the plain AVR. Do this until you are ready to do a full Atmos system as by the time you are ready, tech will be way beyond what it is now.

The whole point of the latest AVR’s are the audio advantages. No point in spending a bunch of money just to pass video. Save your money until you are ready to up your audio game.

ANY AVR will do even an 15 year old one, as long as it has 7.1 or 5.1 line in. You can just feed the analog out from the oppo into it. This way you will get better sound than most new AVR's out right now.
I'm going to replace my 1080p toshiba, probably with a vizio p55. My receiver is currently a sony str-dh550. Suits me fine. So I would just need to route all my video into the TV first to get HDR, and then use audio return channel on the receiver? If I can get by without buying a new receiver, that would be great.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-17-2017, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefpoit View Post
I'm going to replace my 1080p toshiba, probably with a vizio p55. My receiver is currently a sony str-dh550. Suits me fine. So I would just need to route all my video into the TV first to get HDR, and then use audio return channel on the receiver? If I can get by without buying a new receiver, that would be great.
Before you do this, there's something you have to bear in mind, which nobody seems to know or mention.

For some weird reason unknown to mankind, ARC does not have the same features as HDMI audio, instead featuring the same capabilities as SPDIF (aka coax/optical), that is, it's limited to stereo PCM and 7.1 Dolby Digital/DTS (that's DVD-era audio, no Dolby TrueHD/DTS HD MA).
Also, when the TV is connected via HDMI it will report only supported the formats I mention (this can be easily be verified by connecting the TV to a Windows PC and going to the "supported formats" tab for the appropriate sound device in Windows' Sound control panel).

This said, if you intend to send HD audio (Dolby TrueHD, DTS HD MA, Dolby Atmos) over to the AVR, you'll be SOL if you go through the TV.
Same thing if you intend to play PC games for example, and feed the PC's HDMI (PCM) output via the TV to the AVR. Forget about multichannel (stereo PCM only, remember?).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors