System intermittently playing audio through TV - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-03-2017, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Angry System intermittently playing audio through TV

Hey all,

This is one of the more frustrating things I've come across. Basically, when I turn on one of my activities (logitech home), my system will sometimes start with the audio coming out of the TV speakers. The only reliable way of fixing it is power cycling the TV by unplugging it (using the remote to standby/on does not work). If it is coming through the theater speakers or I've just power cycled the TV and then change activity, it will continue to work. The problem is always from a cold start if it does happen.

I've sketched up my setup so you can see how it is wired. I'm not really sure why it's doing it or how to fix it.

I believe the PS4 audio reliably comes via the theater speakers every time but I haven't tested extensively.

Thanks in advance for the help.

NOTE: The Chromebox is currently bricked so it never gets used but it is plugged in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled Diagram.png
Views:	23
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	2277440  

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Marantz SR6006 Receiver | Studio 60 v.5 Fronts (Bi-Amped) | SVS PB-2000 | Sony KD-75X9400E 75" (Firmware: PKG6.2671.0070PAA) | Harmony Hub (Firmware: 4.14.123)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-10-2017, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kain0rer View Post
Hey all,

This is one of the more frustrating things I've come across. Basically, when I turn on one of my activities (logitech home), my system will sometimes start with the audio coming out of the TV speakers. The only reliable way of fixing it is power cycling the TV by unplugging it (using the remote to standby/on does not work). If it is coming through the theater speakers or I've just power cycled the TV and then change activity, it will continue to work. The problem is always from a cold start if it does happen.

I've sketched up my setup so you can see how it is wired. I'm not really sure why it's doing it or how to fix it.

I believe the PS4 audio reliably comes via the theater speakers every time but I haven't tested extensively.

NOTE: The Chromebox is currently bricked so it never gets used but it is plugged in.
Should I be moving this to a more appropriate forum?

Marantz SR6006 Receiver | Studio 60 v.5 Fronts (Bi-Amped) | SVS PB-2000 | Sony KD-75X9400E 75" (Firmware: PKG6.2671.0070PAA) | Harmony Hub (Firmware: 4.14.123)
post #3 of 6 Old 09-10-2017, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 820 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24100 Post(s)
Liked: 13323
Quote:
Originally Posted by kain0rer View Post
Hey all,

The PS4 is the only source connected to the AVR so it makes sense that is the only source passing audio to the surround speakers. The other sources are connected to the HDMI switch which can only output the audio to the TV. If you want their audio to pass to the surround speakers, you would need to connect the output of the HDMI switch to one of the HDMI inputs on the AVR and then connect the Monitor Out on the AVR to the TV (ie. not to the HDMI switch).

Also, note that you are best served posting your AVR related questions in the respective AVR Owner's thread.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...er-thread.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 09-10-2017, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
The PS4 is the only source connected to the AVR so it makes sense that is the only source passing audio to the surround speakers. The other sources are connected to the HDMI switch which can only output the audio to the TV. If you want their audio to pass to the surround speakers, you would need to connect the output of the HDMI switch to one of the HDMI inputs on the AVR and then connect the Monitor Out on the AVR to the TV (ie. not to the HDMI switch).

The 'One Connect' is essentially the HDMI inputs for the TV. The TV itself does not have HDMI ports, everything runs via Samsung's One Connect system. The only cables into the TV are Power, Network and the One Connect.

As my original post, the audio generally works ok especially when switching Harmony activities. The issue is that sometimes the signal seems to get lost and thinks the AVR isn't present.

I've found this thread which seems to point the finger at HDMI-CEC as the culprit; ARC Sound settings keeps resetting to TV Speakers.

It's an infuriating issue, my TV unit is permanently pulled away from the wall so I can access the TV kettle cord every night. I'd be happy to post in the AVR owner's thread, I'm just not certain it's the issue yet.

post #5 of 6 Old 09-10-2017, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 820 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24100 Post(s)
Liked: 13323
Ah ... okay so then Anynet+ must be enabled on the One Connect box as well as the One Connect set to pass audio to "external speakers". HDMI Control must be enabled on the AVR. Although why connect sources to One Connect at all when they should be connected to the AVR for better audio quality?
post #6 of 6 Old 09-11-2017, 01:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Ah ... okay so then Anynet+ must be enabled on the One Connect box as well as the One Connect set to pass audio to "external speakers".
One Connect box has no interface, it's essentially an extension cord for all the TV inputs. The inputs/outputs you see in my diagram are all it has. The TV has Anynet+ enabled.

Quote:
HDMI Control must be enabled on the AVR.
Yes, that is enabled.

Quote:
Although why connect sources to One Connect at all when they should be connected to the AVR for better audio quality?
I believe I originally did that as a workaround to get 4k content due to the receiver not being DCHP 2.2 compatible. At least I think so, can't remember now. That aside, say we start with just getting the TV's native apps/free to air playing via the receiver. This is the logitech activity:

1. Samsung TV power on.
2. Marantz AVR power on.
3. Samsung TV input: TV
4. Marantz AVR input: TV

There's no other way I can think of hooking it up other than how I have it in the diagram. And this is one of the activities that will result in the TV speakers being used unless as stated in my original post, I unplug and plug in the TV's power after starting it. Power cycling TV via the remote to standby doesn't work.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page