Audio Delay issue on HDMI-ARC - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 09-06-2017, 02:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Audio Delay issue on HDMI-ARC

Hello

A few days ago i was playing a new shooter game and i realised that my audio is delayed. That was the moment i went full crazy. No matter what i tried i couldn't eliminate the delay issue. So here is my setup:
  • Sony BDV-N890W 5.1 Theater
  • LG 55UH615V 4KHDR TV
  • Xbox One

Normally i connect Xbox One to TV via HDMI and TV to Theater via Optical Audio. All of my HDMI Cables are 2.0 and support everything on paper. The methods i tried so far:

Method 1:
  • Xbox One to Theater via Optical
  • Xbox One to TV via HDMI

Results: I can't choose uncompressed 5.1 audio on optical cable so i have to choose Bitstream DTS Sorround on Xbox One. Sound is great but lags about 300ms. Picture Quality is perfect at 30bit

Method 2:
  • Xbox One to Theater via HDMI
  • Theater to TV via HDMI

Results: I can't output Deep Color and 30bit color choice is missing on Xbox One. I can choose uncompressed 5.1 audio on Xbox One. No audio lag but Picture Quality is decreased. Normally it should be ok with a Xbox One but soon i'm going to replace it with a Xbox One X so i need a 4k output which is missing on the Theater

Method 3:
  • Xbox One to TV via HDMI
  • TV to Theater via HDMI-ARC

Results: I can't choose uncompressed 5.1 audio so i'm on Bitstream DTS Sorround on Xbox One. Audio is delayed like 600ms on TV's 'Auto' Sound Output Mode which has really good quality audio, Audio is delayed like 350ms on TV's 'PCM' Sound Output Mode but Audio Quality is garbage. Picture Quality is perfect and input lag is perfect which is missing on other Methods.

So the best method should be number 3 but audio is delayed. If i choose to output sound from TV Speakers it has 0ms delay on audio. I enabled Symblink and HDMI-CEC. I'm on ARC port and AV SYNC Setting on TV is set to Bypass so everything should be fine normally instead it's not.

I hope someone could help me here

Regards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-06-2017, 11:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 781 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Unfortunately, option 2 is your only option.

The other options use optical and thus require use of lossy sound encoders that you discovered add delays. There is no fix for this. When you set you tv to PCM, it decodes to 2 channel audio and your receiver then has to upmix it.

The problem is your receiver cannot handle the 4k signal so it will need to be replaced.

No other way to get 5.1 audio and 4k.
post #3 of 8 Old 09-07-2017, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
Unfortunately, option 2 is your only option.

The other options use optical and thus require use of lossy sound encoders that you discovered add delays. There is no fix for this. When you set you tv to PCM, it decodes to 2 channel audio and your receiver then has to upmix it.

The problem is your receiver cannot handle the 4k signal so it will need to be replaced.

No other way to get 5.1 audio and 4k.
Thank you for your reply. I want to make sure about one thing about uncompressed audio. It sounds worse than Bitstream DTS Surround when i connect xbox directly to the receiver is that normal? And i can only get true 5.1 from DTS for example when i play racing game engine sound coming from rear speakers but if i switch to uncompressed 5.1 it sounds like all engine sound coming from all speakers at the same level.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 09-07-2017, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4807 Post(s)
Liked: 2844
You don't mention what video settings you're using in the TV. The various video enhancement options add video processing time which might interact with the audio processing time.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #5 of 8 Old 09-07-2017, 09:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Optical and by extension HDMI-arc only supports 2 channel PCM audio, or lossy encoded 5.1 (Dolby digital or DTS). When you set your xbox to output PCM audio, it is limited to 2 channel audio. Your receiver will then attempt to matrix decode the 2 channel audio using Dolby or DTS up mixers to give you a simulated surround sound experience. That's why audio sounds worse in uncompressed mode - your xbox is converting 5.1 down to 2.0.

You do not get uncompressed 5.1 audio using any optical or HDMI-arc link. It simply is not supported.
post #6 of 8 Old 09-07-2017, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
You don't mention what video settings you're using in the TV. The various video enhancement options add video processing time which might interact with the audio processing time.
I'm on all game mode on TV, input lag is near zero and audio is lagging
post #7 of 8 Old 09-07-2017, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
Optical and by extension HDMI-arc only supports 2 channel PCM audio, or lossy encoded 5.1 (Dolby digital or DTS). When you set your xbox to output PCM audio, it is limited to 2 channel audio. Your receiver will then attempt to matrix decode the 2 channel audio using Dolby or DTS up mixers to give you a simulated surround sound experience. That's why audio sounds worse in uncompressed mode - your xbox is converting 5.1 down to 2.0.

You do not get uncompressed 5.1 audio using any optical or HDMI-arc link. It simply is not supported.
So only option to receive best audio quality with no delay is connecting xbox one to receiver via hdmi then?
post #8 of 8 Old 09-08-2017, 11:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes, because HDMI allows for multichannel PCM audio to be carried, so you can get no delay 5.1 though HDMI using the uncompressed setting. It won't encounter the delay caused by the DTS or Dolby encoders which are required if you want 5.1 over arc or optical cable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
audio , audio delay , pcm , xbox one