"OFFICIAL" 2017 Marantz AV7704 Owner's Thread - Page 33 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 522Likes

post #961 of 981 Old 10-07-2019, 05:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1326 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguyca View Post
What did you see and where?

I looked at the Marantz website and just compared features and specs. I also believe there was a dealer here that said something similar last year when the 7705 came out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 981 Old 10-10-2019, 09:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked: 722
It’s not going well with Marantz. I’ve called the repair facility twice and they haven’t even touched my unit yet. It all sounded great when they initially called upon receipt, but it’s going south quick. At this point, i doubt I will buy another Marantz pre/pro.

Routh Family Theater - My Dedicated Home Theater Build - 7.1.4 Atmos Setup
Seymour AV 100" Electronic Masking Screen - Klipsch RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II's, RS-52 II's, CDT-5650 II-C x 4 - PSA V3600I Sub
Marantz AV7704 with TK421 Modification - Panasonic UBD 820
Emotiva XPA -7 & XPA-5 - Sony XBR-75x940c with Ideal-Lume Panelight (Living Room)
post #963 of 981 Old 10-10-2019, 11:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1160 Post(s)
Liked: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Riddle View Post
It’s not going well with Marantz. I’ve called the repair facility twice and they haven’t even touched my unit yet. It all sounded great when they initially called upon receipt, but it’s going south quick. At this point, i doubt I will buy another Marantz pre/pro.

Thanks for keeping us informed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #964 of 981 Old 10-11-2019, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I’m seriously considering purchasing a 7705 and keeping my 7704 as backup when it comes back. Searching around for other options for a pre/pro besides Marantz hasn’t been all that successful. I’m not happy with their customer care, but having a backup pre/pro should fix and issues in the future.

Seymour AV 100" Electronic Masking Screen - Klipsch RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II's, RS-52 II's, CDT-5650 II-C x 4 - PSA V3600I Sub
Emotiva XPA -7 & XPA-5 - Sony XBR-75x940c with Ideal-Lume Panelight (Living Room)
post #965 of 981 Old 10-14-2019, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, I’ve looked a whole lot of different options and right now, I’m just going to wait for my 7704 to come back. My wife gave me good advice - why buy another Marantz if you’re not happy with the support. Good point. The 7704 is a great unit when working, but I can’t in good conscience purchase another one (it probably wouldn’t ever have issues) even if it is an upgrade. Sort of an upgrade, better resistors and IMAX Enhanced (I don’t care about that as I don’t see it becoming a thing). Plus, it’s not upgradeable to HDMI 2.1, only the 8805 is.

I looked at several other options and almost went with a Yamaha, but I’m not sure about YPAO and the units have issues with their balanced XLR LR outputs.

I’m going to wait and most like go with a unit with Dirac Live. That would either be the Emotiva XMC-2, RMC-1, or the Monolith HTP-1 16. I would really like to be in the 3k range, but willing to go to the 4k if it could provide some longevity. In reality, there isn’t that much longevity with our hobby and that’s the main reason I didn’t purchase an 8805.

With all that said, I keep going back to the 7705 in my mind. At its price point and with its features, it’s almost too good of a deal to pass up. I know I will probably only keep it a year or two. It’s doubtful I will ever have to send it in for repairs, and if I keep it my 7704, it’s a moot point, or as Joey from Friends would say, Moo point, lol.

Shout out to @bigguyca ! Thanks for all the informative information! This has not been fun - I’m driving my wife up the wall. It’s a good thing our 3 boys had soccer all day Saturday and my oldest had a select baseball tournament all day Sunday, otherwise, I’m sure she would be really mad at me. Hard to look at A/V gear when you’re either coaching, or helping keep a scorebook and checking to make sure Blue calls balls and strikes right, lol.
bigguyca likes this.

post #966 of 981 Old 10-14-2019, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, I’ve looked a whole lot of different options and right now, I’m just going to wait for my 7704 to come back. My wife gave me good advice - why buy another Marantz if you’re not happy with the support. Good point. The 7704 is a great unit when working, but I can’t in good conscience purchase another one (it probably wouldn’t ever have issues) even if it is an upgrade. Sort of an upgrade, better resistors and IMAX Enhanced (I don’t care about that as I don’t see it becoming a thing). Plus, it’s not upgradeable to HDMI 2.1, only the 8805 is.

I looked at several other options and almost went with a Yamaha, but I’m not sure about YPAO and the units have issues with their balanced XLR LR outputs.

I’m going to wait and most like go with a unit with Dirac Live. That would either be the Emotiva XMC-2, RMC-1, or the Monolith HTP-1 16. I would really like to be in the 3k range, but willing to go to the 4k if it could provide some longevity. In reality, there isn’t that much longevity with our hobby and that’s the main reason I didn’t purchase an 8805.

With all that said, I keep going back to the 7705 in my mind. At its price point and with its features, it’s almost too good of a deal to pass up. I know I will probably only keep it a year or two. It’s doubtful I will ever have to send it in for repairs, and if I keep it my 7704, it’s a moot point, or as Joey from Friends would say, Moo point, lol.

Shout out to @bigguyca ! Thanks for all the informative information! This has not been fun - I’m driving my wife up the wall. It’s a good thing our 3 boys had soccer all day Saturday and my oldest had a select baseball tournament all day Sunday, otherwise, I’m sure she would be really mad at me. Hard to look at A/V gear when you’re either coaching, or helping keep a scorebook and checking to make sure Blue calls balls and strikes right, lol.

I’m waiting on the Monolith, Dirac being a big reason.
Tom Riddle likes this.
post #967 of 981 Old 10-14-2019, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieBoysName View Post
I’m waiting on the Monolith, Dirac being a big reason.
That's the one I'm eying too. I was skeptical of the Monolith series, but after a lot of conversations on a different thread, I came around, especially once I eyed that beauty. $4k is a hard pill to swallow, but since it is upgradable to HDMI 2.1, there is most likely no reason to change it for years to come.

post #968 of 981 Old 10-14-2019, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's the one I'm eying too. I was skeptical of the Monolith series, but after a lot of conversations on a different thread, I came around, especially once I eyed that beauty. $4k is a hard pill to swallow, but since it is upgradable to HDMI 2.1, there is most likely no reason to change it for years to come.

It really ticks all of the boxes for me. As long as it sounds close SQ wise to my 7704, I’m going for it.
post #969 of 981 Old 10-18-2019, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I’m still waiting.....

I called the repair center yesterday. Again. They have diagnosed the unit and need parts. Seems simple, but of course simplicity just isn’t in the cards for this repair. They had the parts list Tuesday, but something, blah, blah system not working, blah, blah, parts not ordered, blah, until system comes back up. I didn’t even have anything I could say, just hang up the phone, shake my head in disbelief, and realize that my annual October viewing of Halloween would not happen this year.

My head says order the Marantz 7705, but my heart tells me it would be an impulse purchase and I would rather wait until the New Year and purchase the Monolith unit with Dirac Live. Plus, my wife isn’t going for it - why order from the same company that you’re so upset with she says, and she is right. I’m now certain that Marantz’s customer support and repairs are 100% driven by the repair facility you send it to. I should have opted to pay more in shipping and send it to their largest repair facility, but my call to the Austin facility seemed so promising. Oh, one week turnaround, two if it needs parts. We are on week 3! All I can think is I have an expensive HT room I had built last year that now is a shell with pretty seating and screen, but all I can do is stare at it blankly.

No doubt that that the 7704 is a heck of a deal and worthy unit to process all of your HT needs. It’s sad that consistency isn’t in the cards and their customer support line has met my request with nothing but a promise that if it goes to 60 days, we will take care of it. Promising!

post #970 of 981 Old 10-18-2019, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 748 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22755 Post(s)
Liked: 12404
Quote:
I’m still waiting.....

I called the repair center yesterday. Again. They have diagnosed the unit and need parts. Seems simple, but of course simplicity just isn’t in the cards for this repair. They had the parts list Tuesday, but something, blah, blah system not working, blah, blah, parts not ordered, blah, until system comes back up. I didn’t even have anything I could say, just hang up the phone, shake my head in disbelief, and realize that my annual October viewing of Halloween would not happen this year.

My head says order the Marantz 7705, but my heart tells me it would be an impulse purchase and I would rather wait until the New Year and purchase the Monolith unit with Dirac Live. Plus, my wife isn’t going for it - why order from the same company that you’re so upset with she says, and she is right. I’m now certain that Marantz’s customer support and repairs are 100% driven by the repair facility you send it to. I should have opted to pay more in shipping and send it to their largest repair facility, but my call to the Austin facility seemed so promising. Oh, one week turnaround, two if it needs parts. We are on week 3! All I can think is I have an expensive HT room I had built last year that now is a shell with pretty seating and screen, but all I can do is stare at it blankly.

No doubt that that the 7704 is a heck of a deal and worthy unit to process all of your HT needs. It’s sad that consistency isn’t in the cards and their customer support line has met my request with nothing but a promise that if it goes to 60 days, we will take care of it. Promising!
As a reminder, Pyramid Audio is not a Marantz company, rather simply, a 3rd party repair company that repairs many brands of electronic equipment.

www.pyramid-audio.com/
post #971 of 981 Old 10-18-2019, 06:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
As a reminder, Pyramid Audio is not a Marantz company, rather simply, a 3rd party repair company that repairs many brands of electronic equipment.

www.pyramid-audio.com/
I also stated in my post that service is dependent on the service center it’s sent to. It’s important do more research before sending. The fact remains that Marantz won’t care until it’s 60 days. That’s unacceptable.

post #972 of 981 Old 10-18-2019, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I also stated in my post that service is dependent on the service center it’s sent to. It’s important do more research before sending. The fact remains that Marantz won’t care until it’s 60 days. That’s unacceptable.
In your eyes perhaps; however, Marantz must give the repair system a suitable amount of time to resolve the issue before they release a refurbished unit to replace the un-repairable unit.
post #973 of 981 Old 10-18-2019, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
In your eyes perhaps; however, Marantz must give the repair system a suitable amount of time to resolve the issue before they release a refurbished unit to replace the un-repairable unit.
Yes, in my eyes I find that unacceptable. When a product is marketed as high-end, the service should match the price. I'm certainly glad I didn't spend the money on the 8805.

post #974 of 981 Old 10-18-2019, 10:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

www.pyramid-audio.com/

Are you saying that Marantz owns some of the repair facilities? May I ask which repair facilities that Marantz owns?
post #975 of 981 Old 10-19-2019, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguyca View Post
Are you saying that Marantz owns some of the repair facilities? May I ask which repair facilities that Marantz owns?
Nope.
post #976 of 981 Old 10-19-2019, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

So, I did some quick research: D&M Holdings (a Japanese based company) was sold to Sound United, LLC in 2017 (at the time of the sale, D&M holding was the largest supplier of A/V receivers). Sound United LLC is a division of DEI Holdings, which also owns Definitive Technology and Polk Audio.

As for repair centers, United Radio looks to be their largest and best contracted facility (based in New York not far from Sound United, LLC in New Jersey). United Radio has a more streamlined process of repairs, including and easy to use "Status of Repair" check on their website. The repair center I sent my unit too is a smaller outfit that stocks limited parts and supplies - that's why my unit is taking so long. If I buy a Marantz product in the future and have an issue with warranty repairs, I would pay the extra shipping to send it to United Radio. United Radio is who sent me the box to ship my Marantz unit. Reading back to my initial emails with Marantz Support, it's implied that I should send my unit to a larger facility, however, it is not stated which one. Now I know, and as G.I. Joe told me as a kid, "knowing is half the battle!"

Hopefully, none of you ever experience a warranty repair, but if you do, make sure you ASK Marantz directly what repair center has the quickest turn time and pay the extra shipping. This was a huge mistake on my part.

post #977 of 981 Old 10-19-2019, 07:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, I’ve broken down and I’m buying a 7705. It’s just too sweet of a deal not to buy. I’ve been obsessively looking at pre/pro’s - driving my wife insane - reading articles about Dirac Live vs Audyssey XT32 and everything else I can find, lol. The 77 series just seems to be at the best price point for those of us that are chronic upgraders.
David Ortiz likes this.

post #978 of 981 Old 10-19-2019, 10:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, I’ve broken down and I’m buying a 7705. It’s just too sweet of a deal not to buy. I’ve been obsessively looking at pre/pro’s - driving my wife insane - reading articles about Dirac Live vs Audyssey XT32 and everything else I can find, lol. The 77 series just seems to be at the best price point for those of us that are chronic upgraders.

Agreed. I have another use for my AV7704 so I may get an AV7705 as well.
Tom Riddle likes this.
post #979 of 981 Old 10-24-2019, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

My 7704 still doesn't appear to be anywhere near done. When I ordered my 7705 from Cleveland AV, Chris suggested I call Marantz support and demand they send out a new product. He said that anything over 30 days should be considered unacceptable. I'm going to give them a couple more days and then call into support. I will let you all know how it goes.

post #980 of 981 Old 11-05-2019, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

After more than a month, I received a call from the service center yesterday they they couldn’t fix my 7704. They tried several new circuit boards to no avail. They are putting in for an exchange with Marantz, but said it could take up to 2 more weeks. I’m glad I bought a 7705.

post #981 of 981 Old 11-07-2019, 03:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaduke View Post
Subject
Marantz 2016 app not working correctly

Response By Email (NJ Customer Support) (11/06/2019 02:42 PM)
Hi,

We are aware of the App issue when using iOS 13.2 or iOS 3.3.0. Our Engineering team is currently working on a fix and should have it released very soon. We apologize for the inconvenience and hope to have this corrected shortly.

In the meantime, the Apps are working with the Android platform or any iOS device not updated to 13.2 or 3.3.0.

Thanks,
Marantz NA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page