Receiver Advice & Recommendations - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By viorel

post #1 of 3 Old 09-20-2017, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Receiver Advice & Recommendations

I recently purchased a Klipsch R-26F Home Theatre System that was on sale with the exception of the surround speakers whereas I replaced the 2x R-14S with 4x R-14M's to make a full 7.1 system. At this point I had already blown my budget so I was a bit reserved with my receiver, opting for a Pioneer VSX-1131 that was on sale for $200 off. Anyway as I understand it the VSX-1131 is more of a entry level receiver and I'm wondering if perhaps I purchased a receiver that was unfitting of my speakers? Just don't want to spend a bunch of money on nice speakers and then skimp on the receiver.

Would it be worth it to purchase a receiver like the Marantz SR5012 or the Denon AVR-X3400H even if they would cost me over twice as much money? I still have a few weeks where I can return the Pioneer and opt for an alternate receiver.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-20-2017, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
It's your money, but I would stay with a lower receiver if you find it has all the features you need or plan to use. Most receivers have plenty of power, even more so when driving Klipsch speakers (with very high sensitivity). And with a decent receiver, sound quality is mostly shared between the source of signal, speakers and the actual room the system is in. Maybe the most important aspect of the receiver choice (besides must-have features) is reliability. Reviews and consumer ratings might be a good source of data for you to use. Hope this helps, --V.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
leecreek likes this.
post #3 of 3 Old 09-21-2017, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by viorel View Post
It's your money, but I would stay with a lower receiver if you find it has all the features you need or plan to use. Most receivers have plenty of power, even more so when driving Klipsch speakers (with very high sensitivity). And with a decent receiver, sound quality is mostly shared between the source of signal, speakers and the actual room the system is in. Maybe the most important aspect of the receiver choice (besides must-have features) is reliability. Reviews and consumer ratings might be a good source of data for you to use. Hope this helps, --V.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I would say with features like Dolby Atmos and DTS:X if anything the Pioneer VSX-1131 has more features than I need. The 2 most significant things to me are audio quality and amplification power but if upgrading to one of those other receivers isn't a sizable upgrade in at least one of those department's it's probably not justifiable for double the price. I've gone around to some stores and listened to their Home Theatre setups with the more expensive receivers but it's difficult to tell how much better they sound without using my own speakers and having them alongside my current receiver for comparison. Was thinking of purchasing the Marantz, testing it alongside the Pioneer and returning it if it wasn't considerably better but maybe it's just not worth the trouble.

Thanks for the reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page