AVS Forum banner

Which one should i get ? RX A870 vs Marantz SR6012 vs Onkyo TX-RZ810

25K views 42 replies 18 participants last post by  afrogt 
#1 ·
Hi guys,
Really confused. i have shortlisted 3 avrs. RX A870 vs Marantz SR6012 vs Onkyo TX-RZ810.
I was using marantz 5008 for last 3 years, and sold because it started to had strange static noise issue, tried to repair multiple time but issue was continuous. so sold.

In speakers i have Klipsch RF62II full 5.1 set.

So now i am thinking to go for new one. I am bit confused between yamaha vs marantz vs onkyo. all 3 are in more or less same price point. marantz is bit over for my budget, but i am still thinking it as i am getting it same price as the rest of 2 so thats why ive took it in compassion.

Any opinions guys?

#4 ·
Amen- I bought a Denon 4200 a couple years ago after going through Onkyo hell. It's been flawless so far and of course now obsoleted by the 4300 for which there are some great deals as it soon will be supplanted by the 4400. Remember Marantz & Denon are kissin cousins.

Good luck, you'll love your new unit.

#5 ·
Yamaha will sound good with little power

Marantz will sound ok with little power

Onkyo will sound good with good power.

Marantz has the most channels but definitely the worst in the bunch in sound quality. With klipsch though the Marantz will help tone them down. Since the Marantz is easily the least dynamic sounding.

Why not look and newer onkyo or pioneer elite?

Rz810 is a older model.

If you only need 7ch get Yamaha 1070

9ch get onkyo rz1100, Yamaha 2070 or integra drx7

11 ch get onkyo rz3100, integra r1 or Yamaha 3070.

Pioneer 701,801 and 901 are a upgrade over Marantz and denon. Maybe the Marantz 7011 or denon 6300 is close to Yamaha 2070 or onkyo 1100. Only buy from d&m if it's a huge sale. They heavily discount their products and have the biggest markup. They have to to compete. Marantz 6012 is designed for 9 satellites and 2 subs. It'll run very hot and distort to easy with real speakers.

#8 ·
To me audyssey is the worst room eq. It does the most to get to flatter sound. Takes all the excitement and edge out of a receiver. Marantz can sound good if you go into manual eq and do it yourself. That marantz 6011 shares similar dac and power supply as many sub $500 avrs. That marantz you are paying for xt32 and 9chs.

Now if you go to 7011 it has better power and akm4458 dac. Still though onkyo rz810 has Better power supply and same dac. Fwiw even a $300 onkyo has same akm 4458 dac.

Here's a list of receivers
Power-onkyo, integra and pioneer
Most dynamic- onkyo, integra, Yamaha
Best reliability- Yamaha, pioneer, onkyo
Best with movies- onkyo or integra
Best with music- Yamaha, marantz, onkyo/integra

Onkyo and integra are the most detailed avrs on the market. Huge sound for movies and very immersive. Yamaha is very close. I like the better pioneer elite but they are a little softer sounding but have great power. So something like a pio 801 or 901 sounds like a marantz with more power. Also the pio and Yamaha use ess sabre dacs. Which sound very clean.

I'll close with this; denon and marantz are ok products and for right price I'd use them. Just there is always something better for same price. I bought a denon 4200 for $400 used. That was worth it. I bought a marantz 7010 used for $800. That was worth it. Both those are now sold and I just bought to test. My Yamaha 3060, integra r1, onkyo rz1100 and pio 801 embarrassed the denon 4200 and marantz 7010.

#9 ·
Here's a list of receivers
Power-onkyo, integra and pioneer
Most dynamic- onkyo, integra, Yamaha
Best reliability- Yamaha, pioneer, onkyo
Best with movies- onkyo or integra
Best with music- Yamaha, marantz, onkyo/integra

Onkyo and integra are the most detailed avrs on the market.
You really should qualify many of the statements above as you own personal opinion.

Most dynamic - that's an opinion
Best reliability - Onkyo? really? Again an opinion.
Best with movies - Onkyo/Integra may be OK as long as the HDMI board is functioning. Once again this is your opinion.
Best with music - Your own opinion.

Onkyo/Integra are the most detailed AVRs on the market? That may be your personal opinion, but I would disagree.

Reactions: gregcss
#11 ·
Don't forget that last year's receivers are substantially discounted (while they're still available) when their replacements come out.

Also, Accessories4less sells refurbished equipment at a substantial discount, too.

#19 ·
Test Bench
Two channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 135.5 watts
1% distortion at 167.8 watts
Five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 70.5 watts
1% distortion at 78.6 watts
Seven channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 69.6 watts ? Front Left
1% distortion at 77.5 watts ? Front Left
0.1% distortion at 36.8 watts ? Surround Back Left
1% distortion at 51.7 watts ? Surround Back Left
Analog frequency response in No Processing mode:

Read more at https://www.soundandvision.com/cont...eceiver-review-test-bench#AbT6Ziug2L31czo0.99

#20 ·
Test Bench
Two channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 176.1 watts
1% distortion at 199.5 watts

Five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 130.4 watts
1% distortion at 163.9 watts

Seven channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 117.2 watts
1% distortion at 135.3 watts

Analog frequency response in Pure Audio mode:

Read more at https://www.soundandvision.com/cont...eceiver-review-test-bench#WArptQSJqR8KY0fR.99

#24 ·
720 is probably similar to bench test of 1120. Does have smaller power supply. If I was guessing I'd say. 125-130x2. 65-70x5. 45-55x7.

Anthem mrx1120 I had was nice and did have good detail. Was just to expensive at $3500. It's really a $1500 avr. After a bunch of rew and custom eq my onkyo rz1100 and integra r1 have just as much detail with more impact and much more power. Again just my opinion

Also the Yamaha 3060 is very good as well and I liked it better then anthem as well. The 1120 had many issues with 4k and hdr. Arc was a nightmare too.

I will be looking at next generation anthem though.

For the op I'd buy a onkyo or Yamaha. Marantz is way to much money and xt32 is WAY overrated and a crutch for to many people to not learn how to setup a system.

#25 ·
Hay guys sorry for my absence, was really busy with work so could not check the thread and products recommended by you guys.

Anyhow, after going through thread, i think i am making my mind between Yamaha and Marantz.
So Yamaha 1070 vs Marantz 6012.

Now ive called a local dealer, the Marantz 6012 is little costlier but he has one unit available which is without warranty imported piece i think. So he agreed to give me at same cost as yamaha 1070. So i confused now. as many other thread, users complained for Marantz's hdmi crapped out. While in this very thread you guys also recommended for Yamaha.

So which one should i go for? I mean i dont understand how much i am giving up with 7.2 ch. against 9.2 ch marantz in terms of atmos, or technical possibility? Ive heard so many reviews of yamaha 1060 & 70, but didnt find any better reviews for marantz.

Also if i am going with marantz i am going without warranty, so is it worth it? or yamaha is enough for long run?

thank you guys.

#28 ·
Hay guys sorry for my absence, was really busy with work so could not check the thread and products recommended by you guys.

Anyhow, after going through thread, i think i am making my mind between Yamaha and Marantz.
So Yamaha 1070 vs Marantz 6012.

Now ive called a local dealer, the Marantz 6012 is little costlier but he has one unit available which is without warranty imported piece i think. So he agreed to give me at same cost as yamaha 1070. So i confused now. as many other thread, users complained for Marantz's hdmi crapped out. While in this very thread you guys also recommended for Yamaha.

So which one should i go for? I mean i dont understand how much i am giving up with 7.2 ch. against 9.2 ch marantz in terms of atmos, or technical possibility? Ive heard so many reviews of yamaha 1060 & 70, but didnt find any better reviews for marantz.

Also if i am going with marantz i am going without warranty, so is it worth it? or yamaha is enough for long run?

thank you guys.

The SR6012 uses the same 32bit DAC as do last year's Marantz SR7011 and Denon X4300H vs. the 24bit DAC on the A1070; however, without a warranty or some assurance from the vendor that he would at least self warranty the unit for 1 year ... tough decision vs. a 3 year warranty on the A1070. Perhaps you can find an "authorized" Marantz dealer in your region who would then be able to sell you a unit with a warranty?

#26 ·
Out of those two my choice would be the Yamaha. I would not consider the Marantz without a warranty. You may need to find a different dealer. Why would they sell you the Marantz without any kind of warranty? That is a new model. Go somewhere else if you have to to get the Marantz you want. With that Marantz with a warranty then it would be IMO the one to get between the 1070 Yamaha and the Marantz. I say this being a big Yamaha fan. I feel that the Marantz would be equal to the Yamaha 2070 over the 1070.

#27 ·
If you only need 7ch get the Yamaha 1070.

The 1070 is better in my testing then even the Marantz 7010 and denon 4200.

If you want 9 or 11ch get a Yamaha 2070 or 3070. Or even better get the onkyo 920, 1100 or 3100.

The Marantz 6012 has a cheaper dac and amp then all others mentioned. Honestly the 6012 is closer to a onkyo 6 Series in power and sound.

#30 ·
Hay guys,
I was going through to amazon for 4+ star receivers, and found Sony 1080. It has 4+ star on amazon and whathifi, crutchfield, cnet. Its 100w per ch. i think. And costs average about $490. Any experience for the receiver? not going down from my previous choice just trying to save if its actually good.

#32 · (Edited)
@phantom32 I saw that thread but didn't found any one tied with Klipsch. Anyhow I went to another dealer today. He had NAD receivers. He was praising them so much, but on cost = features level I don't find them correctly.
I've heard T748 and 758v2. Both were good but 748 was 40-7.2 and 758. Was 60watts at 8ohms. While marantz writes 110watts in 6012. So why so much cost of NAD? Or I'm understanding wrong?

#33 ·
Guys i know i took too long to decide. I just saw today Denon X4300 at $799. while marantz 6012 at $999. on amazon. Which is better? I mean i read other thread for compare, users says Marantz 6012 = Denon X3300, but 3300 was 7.2. while 6012 is 9.2 ch right? Then wouldn't Denon x4300 =Marantz 6012?? Which one is better guys?

#35 ·
@phantom32i have actually checked Yamaha 2070 but it's going very much over budget it's currently $1599. Marantz 6012 comes about $999. And Denon x4300 about $800. In these price I think there are no other 9.2 ch receivers in market. That's why initially I was thinking of Yamaha 1070. But then I thought im gettinf 9.2 for same.
Though I don't have any space for 9th channel, but my mind says, to get more for money spend.

#40 ·
Well, I'd agree that for audio quality and prowess, Onkyo is the way to go at most price points. They just seem to have more serious amplifier stages. I just bought and installed an Onkyo TX-NR676 for my mom at $459.99 and am quite surprised and pleased with the audio for that price. My Onkyo TX-NR809 has awesome sound and has never had the dreaded HDMI issue. Now, that said, I think that deal on the Denon X4300 seems too good to pass up. I also have a Denon X5200 and the audio is about as good as the Onkyo 809.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.