Anthem MRX1120 vs Marantz SR8012 - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

Old 10-26-2017, 07:07 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Anthem was thin and empty. Lacked power and felt like a cheaper avr. It?s not a horrible product just should be closer to $1000 not $3500. Can?t think of one thing it did better then integra or onkyo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2017, 08:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspimp View Post
I'm fascinated by the discussion regarding the Integra DRX-R1 and the Anthem 1120. @Timothy1180 , can you provide a bit more insight about your thoughts between the two? I hadn't really heard of the DRX-R1 until now. Distribution channels seem a bit scarce, so are reviews. Price is more or less the same.

I found three reviews.
- Audioholics, which didn't seem like a real test, just a discussion of the specs / marketing fluff.
- AVProductReviews, which was extremely, extremely positive but focused entirely on movies. I was really hoping to hear something about music.
- SoundStageAccess, which compared it to the MRX 720 and preferred the MRX 720 & ARC especially for music.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy1180 View Post
Anthem was thin and empty. Lacked power and felt like a cheaper avr. It?s not a horrible product just should be closer to $1000 not $3500. Can?t think of one thing it did better then integra or onkyo.
I haven't owned Integra in years. It was the only one on numerous AVR's that I have owned that required warranty repair. Not to mention that at that time Onkyo had much better sound. I think htat has changed and they basically sound the same.

I owned the RZ900 for less than 30 days. My 656 sounded better. The 900 did sound powerful. I think that was because it lacked detail and was strong in only the bass and mid bass but rolled off on the mid to upper frequencies.
I have an Anthem MRX 720 and IMO it leaves the Onkyo behind with music. The 900 is good for movies (mostly those with lots of boom).
Don't really know how much power Timothy needs, however the 720 plays louder than I care to listen and I have yet to hear any distortion at higher levels. My Yamaha and the reached a level and did not seem to increase whereas the 720 just keeps getting louder.

Listen to what you intend to buy and forget about opinions on a forum. As you can see they are as different as day and night.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:16 PM

Probably needed more time with rz900
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2017, 09:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1203 Post(s)
Liked: 1391
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post

Listen to what you intend to buy and forget about opinions on a forum. As you can see they are as different as day and night.
Or further confirmation of just how flawed the evaluation methods of too many of these hobbyists, not to mention much of the audio-fluff "press".

These are mature technologies with very little to audibly differentiate from one model to the next in terms of passing an accurate, clean signal of the incoming source to the speakers, where the distortion is leaps and bounds more significant than any modern receiver model. Room correction software solutions remains the last significantly audible differentiator among receiver brands and models.

Sorry, notions about there being some sort of inherent "sound" character built into any given receiver brand and model is much more about flawed auditioning practices which introduce too many variables to be reliable indicators of comparative sound quality. As a result, we get just these sorts of wildly divergent opinions. One mans "thin and empty" is another mans far superior sounding. This is much more about what is going on between the ears further exacerbated by flawed comparison methods than anything having to do with the receivers being compared.
MOberhardt and GIEGAR like this.

Quote:
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard P. Feynman
Old 10-26-2017, 09:30 PM

Very interesting that you say that. So you think every avr sounds the same?

A lot of people think that and its ok to be on that side of the fence. Im just on the other side. I have spent the last 10 years testing hundreds of avrs for myself or even reviews for other places. Room correction does play a huge part to sound quality but a denon doesnt sound like an integra in pure direct. That is a fact that I can test right now. I buy denon and marantz every year to see if they get better or if they are my preference. They have not made my top choice since denon 5308. That is all just my personal opinion. Which is all avs is. Opinions and facts that can be manipulated to prove your point.

My personal opinion is that anthem is overpriced. Especially their separates!
Old 10-27-2017, 02:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1289 Post(s)
Liked: 823
goes to show you how subjective this all is. i frequently swap things in and out. my wife is sort of a blind test, since she has no idea what i’m doing. the two times she’s felt compelled to say something sounded off was when i had an Onkyo (818) and a Yamaha (cx5000) in.

otherwise Denon, Marantz, Anthem, Emotiva, Krell, Pioneer......she didn’t really care and couldn’t tell a difference.

Selling in AVS Classifieds
Revel Studio2 Pair - gloss black
Old 11-25-2017, 06:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Thanks for the sites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspimp View Post
I'm fascinated by the discussion regarding the Integra DRX-R1 and the Anthem 1120. @Timothy1180 , can you provide a bit more insight about your thoughts between the two? I hadn't really heard of the DRX-R1 until now. Distribution channels seem a bit scarce, so are reviews. Price is more or less the same.

I found three reviews.
- Audioholics, which didn't seem like a real test, just a discussion of the specs / marketing fluff.
- AVProductReviews, which was extremely, extremely positive but focused entirely on movies. I was really hoping to hear something about music.
- SoundStageAccess, which compared it to the MRX 720 and preferred the MRX 720 & ARC especially for music.
Thanks for the websites.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy1180 View Post
Very interesting that you say that. So you think every avr sounds the same?

A lot of people think that and its ok to be on that side of the fence. Im just on the other side. I have spent the last 10 years testing hundreds of avrs for myself or even reviews for other places. Room correction does play a huge part to sound quality but a denon doesnt sound like an integra in pure direct. That is a fact that I can test right now. I buy denon and marantz every year to see if they get better or if they are my preference. They have not made my top choice since denon 5308. That is all just my personal opinion. Which is all avs is. Opinions and facts that can be manipulated to prove your point.

My personal opinion is that anthem is overpriced. Especially their separates!
Interesting point of view. May I ask what is your personal top 5? :-) Thanks.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I have run both in my home theatre, own MRX-1120 borrowed SR8012

I own the MRX-1120 for a year now, and recently borrowed a friend's new Marantz SR8012 for a few days before he installed it for himself (good friend!), so we compared both running in my theater room with my Dolby Atmos speaker config (5.1.4) using Focal Aria speakers and a JL subwoofer (1,500W). As I use banana plugs, and could place the SR8012 beside my MRX-1120 we also easily switched between the 2 receivers to listen to the differences only moments apart.

Comments that ARC is superior to Audyssey XT32 are of course accurate. BUT IT's A PAIN, and in my opinion it is NOW only marginally better; which means to me it is not worth the pain ARC puts you through. Perhaps because my room is well treated with Primacoustic panels, the difference between ARC and Audyssey is not as significant as past experiences.

The Marantz is overall much simpler to operate and has many more features. For my money, after real-world testing- the MRX-1120 should be sold at a bit lower price than the SR8012. I would regret spending the extra money for a Receiver that is much more difficult to operate and has some reliability issues (yes, warranty of 3 years gets it fixed, I've had to do that).

I can also use more of the Marantz features in my place; especially Phono input, but also including analog video input (although I have Dolby Vision 4K player AND Apple TV 4K setup, friends still require that I play Vanishing Point from LaserDisc once in a while on my Panasonic LX-200). I'm also an Apple household, so while I did put an Apple TV 4K on the MRX-1120 - it is still a benefit that the SR8012 has Apple Play for quick song playability.

I'm wanting to sell my MRX-1120 and get the Marantz SR8012 primarily for usability and loaded features. The sound treatment from the latest Audyssey XT32 doesn't kill the mid-range as it used to, at least wasn't our experience in a sound panel treated room.

At the pricing, with Marantz SR8012 costing less and is SO MUCH EASIER to work with, I'd recommend the SR8012.

(some may ask at the ease of use statement, Anthem menu system is terrible, Flash updates must be done by USB stick (i.e. download from web on your laptop/desktop, unzip and ensure the USB is clean of any other versions of updates, remove USB from your PC and head for MRX-1120, insert USB and then power everything up, run the update utility through menus or through front panel button combinations, wait for some time and through some reboot etc.; as to ARC it is run external to your receiver, so either run a version that isn't any better than Audyssey automatic mode on your iPad etc. then find your receiver on the network and upload the final results to the receiver; or run more advanced manual mode with software on your laptop and their included (excellent) mic with tripod stand then also get onto same wifi as your receiver and upload final results to your receiver = unnecessary PAIN)

To recap, sound is a smidgen better from MRX-1120 using properly run manual ARC; but really, the extra $$$ and overall user experience is not worth it.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked: 686
Those who are saying Audyssey kills the mids or vocals - are you using the associated app or just doing it from the receiver? The app opens up a variety of additional features the receiver form of Audyssey doesn’t, one of which is the ability to defeat a big midrange dip that Audyssey defaults as on.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Anthem is running a trade-in sale. Trade in anything and get 20% off. You could always snag a Goodwill AVR if you don't want to actually trade your current on in

I've also recently been visiting a variety of home audio shops within a couple hour drive and they all prefer ARC to AudessyXT32. A couple mentioned that ARC just gave them much more control to dial in the room response for their customers.

Home Theater - Video: Sony KDL-55W800B - Audio - 7.2 - AVR: Denon 2809CI, Left/Right: DT Studio Monitor, Center: DT CLR 2002, Surrounds: Sonance IS4, Subwoofers: Paradigm RVC-12SQ with X850 Amplifier - Upgrade in Progress!
Old 06-22-2019, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2798 Post(s)
Liked: 1761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Scott MacDonald View Post
Comments that ARC is superior to Audyssey XT32 are of course accurate. BUT IT's A PAIN, and in my opinion it is NOW only marginally better; which means to me it is not worth the pain ARC puts you through. Perhaps because my room is well treated with Primacoustic panels, the difference between ARC and Audyssey is not as significant as past experiences.

I'm wanting to sell my MRX-1120 and get the Marantz SR8012 primarily for usability and loaded features. The sound treatment from the latest Audyssey XT32 doesn't kill the mid-range as it used to, at least wasn't our experience in a sound panel treated room.

To recap, sound is a smidgen better from MRX-1120 using properly run manual ARC; but really, the extra $$$ and overall user experience is not worth it.

Have you used ARC Genesis yet? If you have, and came to this conclusion, cool. But if you haven't, don't be so hot to unload your 1120..... I have yet to try it, but from what I'm reading from other users, it's better than ARC2, which means it probably wrecks Audyssey. Dunno......

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Sponsored Links
Advertisement