HDMI-CEC Issues: Pioneer VSX-832 & Samsung UN55ES7100FXZA - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-19-2017, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Angry HDMI-CEC Issues: Pioneer VSX-832 & Samsung UN55ES7100FXZA

So here’s the deal. I got the Pioneer VSX-832 Receiver. Mainly because I wanted HDMI-CEC support and 4K pass-through for when I eventually upgrade to a 4K TV.

I have HDMI-CEC or as Samsung calls it Anynet enabled on the TV.
I an Apple TV which is my TV source. I stream and watch all TV from it. It has HDMI-CEC turned on to power on and off other devices via HDMI and it also controls the receiver’s volume.
My Pioneer also has HDMI-CEC enabled.

If I pick up my Apple TV’s remote to turn on the Apple TV both the TV and Pioneer receiver turn on. Perfect! That’s what I want.
My issue is that now that they are all talking to each other when I turn off the Apple TV the Samsung TV and receiver turn off, but then the receiver immediately powers back on set to the TV input.

I can’t for the life of me figure out why it doesn’t just stay off. I also don’t want to damage the receiver with the abrupt powering OFF then ON that it keeps doing.

Samsung and Pioneer keep telling me to call the other's support line and have been no help. I don't think the Apple TV is the issue because I don't have this problem with my other Samsung TV's that have Apple TV's connected to them. Everything powers off and stays off on those TV's. They have soundbars connected to them instead of a receiver since they are in the bedroom.

I think the Samsung is sending a signal to the receiver telling it to stay on since the receiver comes back on with the TV input set.

Please help. This is driving me crazy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-20-2017, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4815 Post(s)
Liked: 2850
Unfortunately, the CEC standard is not sufficiently stringent. Different companies implement it differently and it's always a pleasant surprise when someone reports that it's working they way they want.

The usual workaround is to get a programmable remote (like one of Logitech's Harmony series) which you configure to turn devices on and off in the correct order and to select their appropriate inputs and outputs.

A side effect is that you can't use ARC (an S/PDIF connection from the TV to the receiver is required) because it requires CEC.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #3 of 7 Old 10-20-2017, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Liked: 733
The CEC standards are clearly defined..
The dilemma is that certain brands like Samsung have chosen to make their own proprietary S/W changes, end-result is inconsistent operation. Also note that the Samsung displays are not HDMI certified and often have strange HDMI/HDCP compatibility issues...

Just my $0.02...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-25-2017, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a similar setup with only one HDMI source fed to my Pioneer Receiver and HDMI CEC enabled in all the devices. My problem is, from an off state, pressing the home button on the Fire TV remote will not turn on my receiver (only the TV). It should power on the receiver too according to my research. I’ve tried everything I could think of to no avail. It’s not a big deal; just annoying. When the Fire TV sleeps, the TV and receiver stay on.

Powering on or off my Samsung TV does not turn on or off the receiver either; but, as I understand it, that is by design (and a poor one at that).

Fire TV
Pioneer VSX532 5.1 Ch AV Receiver
Samsung UN55C7000
post #5 of 7 Old 02-18-2019, 12:47 AM

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by René J. Perez II View Post
So here’s the deal. I got the Pioneer VSX-832 Receiver. Mainly because I wanted HDMI-CEC support and 4K pass-through for when I eventually upgrade to a 4K TV.

I have HDMI-CEC or as Samsung calls it Anynet enabled on the TV.
I an Apple TV which is my TV source. I stream and watch all TV from it. It has HDMI-CEC turned on to power on and off other devices via HDMI and it also controls the receiver’s volume.
My Pioneer also has HDMI-CEC enabled.

If I pick up my Apple TV’s remote to turn on the Apple TV both the TV and Pioneer receiver turn on. Perfect! That’s what I want.
My issue is that now that they are all talking to each other when I turn off the Apple TV the Samsung TV and receiver turn off, but then the receiver immediately powers back on set to the TV input.

I can’t for the life of me figure out why it doesn’t just stay off. I also don’t want to damage the receiver with the abrupt powering OFF then ON that it keeps doing.

Samsung and Pioneer keep telling me to call the other's support line and have been no help. I don't think the Apple TV is the issue because I don't have this problem with my other Samsung TV's that have Apple TV's connected to them. Everything powers off and stays off on those TV's. They have soundbars connected to them instead of a receiver since they are in the bedroom.

I think the Samsung is sending a signal to the receiver telling it to stay on since the receiver comes back on with the TV input set.

Please help. This is driving me crazy.
f

Hello, did you managed to solve this problem? i have same setup, Pioneer VSX 831 and Samsung UE55NU7200 Smart TV. I can not turn off pioneer av receiver, it turn on after 30 sec after turn off....TV is 4K, and ARC and HDMI- CEC are enabled....

Can somebody help , please...

Thanks, Dragan
post #6 of 7 Old 10-21-2019, 08:34 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
Unfortunately, the CEC standard is not sufficiently stringent. Different companies implement it differently and it's always a pleasant surprise when someone reports that it's working they way they want.

The usual workaround is to get a programmable remote (like one of Logitech's Harmony series) which you configure to turn devices on and off in the correct order and to select their appropriate inputs and outputs.

A side effect is that you can't use ARC (an S/PDIF connection from the TV to the receiver is required) because it requires CEC.
So if you break/remove the cec pin on an hdmi cable, you can use an hdmi cable, you just have to turn on the device manually.

Alternatively, you can use this: https://www.amazon.com/Lindy-HDMI-Ad...1711675&sr=8-1

A dongle that omits the CEC pin for you. I have one on each of my cable boxes because the cec on those boxes breaks the bravia sync in my home theatre.

Also, this is why i've stuck to buying Sony TVs, they are the only TV maker that also makes HT Receivers.

Its annoying as hell, but i always try to choose a sound system that matches my TV's brand.

Before HDMI CEC was a standard, Sharp had Aquos Link, Sony had Bravia Sync, Samsung had NET+ and so on.

So they all presented the idea, and then the HDMI organisation formalised it, but these guys just went on doing their own thing.

Oddly, I played around with a Bose HTIB and and a Samsung TV. The whole CEC functionality worked perfectly.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-22-2019, 12:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 844 Post(s)
Liked: 573
CEC has been around a long time - it was defined since HDMI 1.0. The problem is it's been poorly defined - it's supposed to be based on some other consumer electronics standard, but to add to the confusion, HDMI defines their own commands as well. I've read he HDMI spec cover to cover many times and the CEC section is annoyingly short. It's not unusual for HDMI chips to have longer sections just describing how the CEC controller works and how to use it.

Bravia Sync, etc are just trade names for CEC.

The problem is a poor spec, insufficient spec leads to each manufacturer making their own little tweaks to get things working the way they want, and things may or may not make sense because some devices send a sequence of commands, while others can react oddly to those commands.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
apple tv , Pioneer , receiver , samsung tv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page