1Likes
  • 1 Post By wward

post #1 of 19 Old 10-22-2017, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Question Opinion on DN-700AVP

I am looking for opinions on the Denon professional DN-700AVP. This is the successor to the DN-500AV which is mentioned on this board. I searched but could not turn up any threads on this newer model.

http://denonpro.com/products/view3/dn-700avp

I am basically looking for a pre-pro to drive my external power amps. I have:
3 x Behringer A500 for LCR and SL SR channels.
1 x Crown XLS 1502 for dual sub channels.

I was considering the Emotiva XMC-1 but it costs 3260 euros shipped to me in Belgium.

I can get this Denon for 977 euro. Combine it with a minidsp DDRC-88A and still save 1000 euros compared to the XMC-1.

Currently I am using a Focusrite scarlett 18i20 to drive the amps from my HTPC.

Cons I see:
HDMI 1.4b.
No atmos.
No room correction.

Pros I see:
Balanced cabling (it solved hum issue, lowered noise floor in my setup.
+4dBu outputs, will drive all my amps to full power easily.
No room correction. (This is a pro in my case as I do not want to pay for a receiver with audissey which I will not use. Dirac all the way!)

What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-13-2018, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by erik.vanhamme View Post
I am looking for opinions on the Denon professional DN-700AVP. This is the successor to the DN-500AV which is mentioned on this board. I searched but could not turn up any threads on this newer model.

http://denonpro.com/products/view3/dn-700avp

I am basically looking for a pre-pro to drive my external power amps. I have:
3 x Behringer A500 for LCR and SL SR channels.
1 x Crown XLS 1502 for dual sub channels.

I was considering the Emotiva XMC-1 but it costs 3260 euros shipped to me in Belgium.

I can get this Denon for 977 euro. Combine it with a minidsp DDRC-88A and still save 1000 euros compared to the XMC-1.

Currently I am using a Focusrite scarlett 18i20 to drive the amps from my HTPC.

Cons I see:
HDMI 1.4b.
No atmos.
No room correction.

Pros I see:
Balanced cabling (it solved hum issue, lowered noise floor in my setup.
+4dBu outputs, will drive all my amps to full power easily.
No room correction. (This is a pro in my case as I do not want to pay for a receiver with audissey which I will not use. Dirac all the way!)

What do you think?

Realize this is a some what old thread but reviews of the DN-700 are scarce so I will give you my first impressions. I purchased the DN-700AVP pre/pro recently to replace my DN-500 processor. The 700 is a solid prepro it operates very quietly which was a problem I had with the 500, you could hear the relay's clicking from across the room when switching sources or surround modes. The lack of room correction is a non issue for me as I prefer using an outboard unit for that.

The manual is a little thin so you have to experiment with settings, also the main configuration page kills the audio and video when you make a settings change (kinda annoying) other than that the settings are your standard run of the mill xover, distance, tone and source routing options. One other weird thing, the 2nd zone 2.1 outputs will not play anything from HDMI or digital sources, analog only!. BTW the remote leaves little to be desired it is not backlit so you're dead in the water in the dark, another non issue for me as I use a Logitech 950 controller. Overall I really like the DN-700AVP decoding is sold I've experienced no dropouts, audio quality is top notch very clean and clear with no hiss or other audio nasties.

Last edited by wward; 04-13-2018 at 12:39 PM.
post #3 of 19 Old 04-15-2018, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter

Hello Wward,

I forgot all about this post, thank you for contributing.

I too have bought the DN700-AVP. It is working fine in my setup.

Some gripes I have with the unit:
  1. When not sending in any audio over the HDMI, there is 50Hz hum at very low volume coming out of the speakers. As soon as an audio stream starts, there is no more noise. I tested this with opening an audio stream and sending only silence out over the HDMI soundcard. This means that it is only noisy when not playing any sound, which is odd...
  2. The white rings around the volume and source dials cannot be turned off or dimmed. This is a completely braindead design choice because the display itself can be dimmed from the remote. These rings are also quite bright in my darkened home theater. I used black electrical tape to resolve it. As soon as the warranty runs out, I open the unit up and cut the cables.
  3. There is no 6-stereo mode to expand stereo sound to all speakers except the Dolby ones that are programmed in. There is no mode that copies Front left to rear left and mono's the L + R to the center.
  4. Not possible to add Internet radio stations that are not in the list of Denon already. I like listening to bassdrive.com, but it is not in the list, which means I need to stream it over the network with a raspberry pi that is accessed as a local media server.
  5. No firmware updates in months.
  6. The analog zone 2 issue you mentioned.
Despite my gripes/issues, I love the unit. I have a gigabyte Brix connected to it that runs LibreELEC and a blu-ray player.

Another fantastic feature is the balanced input. I have the XLR output of my DJ mixer piped directly into that receiver (20m/60foot cable run) and it plays loud and completely hiss-free.

I think this receiver is too obscure to make an official owners thread for it, but I put the info here for people using the search box. In summary: I have one and I can answer questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 04-23-2018, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hello Wward,

I forgot all about this post, thank you for contributing.

I too have bought the DN700-AVP. It is working fine in my setup.

Some gripes I have with the unit:
  1. When not sending in any audio over the HDMI, there is 50Hz hum at very low volume coming out of the speakers. As soon as an audio stream starts, there is no more noise. I tested this with opening an audio stream and sending only silence out over the HDMI soundcard. This means that it is only noisy when not playing any sound, which is odd... That is odd. I don't have that problem however I have noticed a very low level ticking/pop sound that occurs about every 10 seconds when the processor is powered off and I leave the amps powered on. (I run mono blocks). When the processor is powered on the sound goes away and it runs as quite as a church mouse. I swapped out interconnects, power cables and tried different amps. it still occurs. I generally don't leave the amps on when they are not in use so not a huge problem but non the less an issue...
  2. The white rings around the volume and source dials cannot be turned off or dimmed. This is a completely braindead design choice because the display itself can be dimmed from the remote. These rings are also quite bright in my darkened home theater. I used black electrical tape to resolve it. As soon as the warranty runs out, I open the unit up and cut the cables. Ditto! I can live with it some what as the processor is behind lightly smoked glass doors so that helps knock down some of the light.
  3. No firmware updates in months. I was just looking searching around for this earlier today so I guess noting is available at this time.
I think this receiver is too obscure to make an official owners thread for it, but I put the info here for people using the search box. In summary: I have one and I can answer questions.
Glad you started the thread hopefully other owners will chime in. Not sure if you noticed but the manual mentioned a setup routine I assumed it would be accessed by pressing the menu button. The only setup I found was the one accessed by pressing the OSD button.

I also had a another weird thing occur I was trying to change the distance of the L/R speakers in setup and the "left" speaker would not increase past 9.5' very strange just happens to be where I need to place the speakers and I only noticed it when I was experimenting with placement of my speakers. I may perform a factory reset to see if that clears up the problem. Do you have the receiver or processor? I noticed you mentioned receiver in the previous paragraph.

Last edited by wward; 04-23-2018 at 08:57 AM.
post #5 of 19 Old 04-23-2018, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wward View Post
I noticed you mentioned receiver in the previous paragraph.
I have the processor DN-700AVP. You are right, I should be more consistent in the naming of the animal
post #6 of 19 Old 04-23-2018, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Forgot to add:

I used 2 of my baby girl's elastic hair bands (The black thick fluffy ones) on the 2 mail dials now. I can rotate them, and all the light is blocked. Simple and effective. No more electrical tape.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pieces-Stre...-2-spons&psc=1
post #7 of 19 Old 04-23-2018, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Forgot to add:

I used 2 of my baby girl's elastic hair bands (The black thick fluffy ones) on the 2 mail dials now. I can rotate them, and all the light is blocked. Simple and effective. No more electrical tape.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pieces-Stre...-2-spons&psc=1
LOL pretty cool, I have to give that a try tonight!
post #8 of 19 Old 04-29-2018, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Any idea how to perform a master reset on the dn 700 avp? The manual does not any info on that.

BTW I tried holding the power, tuner + and tuner- buttons simultaneously and that didn’t work either.
post #9 of 19 Old 04-30-2018, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Any idea how to perform a master reset on the dn 700 avp? The manual does not any info on that.

BTW I tried holding the power, tuner + and tuner- buttons simultaneously and that didn’t work either.
So I ended up contacting Denon Pro support regarding my issues:

1) Under the current firmware the only method to "reset" the unit is unplug it from the outlet and plugging it back in. That doesn't work
2) I asked about the problem I'm having with changing the distance setting of my speaker and the weird ticking sound. Was told it is a hardware fault.

So the end result is they issued me an RMA and another unit is being Fedexed to me today. BTW I inquired about the issue with the menu button not invoking the setup wizard as stated n the manual, was told this is a know issue product support is aware of this and will address in a firmware update. No ETA was provided or method for applying the update.
post #10 of 19 Old 07-29-2018, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So I ended up contacting Denon Pro support regarding my issues:

1) Under the current firmware the only method to "reset" the unit is unplug it from the outlet and plugging it back in. That doesn't work
2) I asked about the problem I'm having with changing the distance setting of my speaker and the weird ticking sound. Was told it is a hardware fault.

So the end result is they issued me an RMA and another unit is being Fedexed to me today. BTW I inquired about the issue with the menu button not invoking the setup wizard as stated n the manual, was told this is a know issue product support is aware of this and will address in a firmware update. No ETA was provided or method for applying the update.

**Update** After 2 RMA's I decided on a refund and moved on to another processor. Just could not get a unit that was problem free I understand these things happen from time to time but I was not willing to waste any more time. Best of luck!
post #11 of 19 Old 11-27-2018, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
**Update** After 2 RMA's I decided on a refund and moved on to another processor. Just could not get a unit that was problem free I understand these things happen from time to time but I was not willing to waste any more time. Best of luck!
hello, i noticed this forum when looking for info on this unit. please could someone tell me if i can use the av(p) model with a set of active speakers (or a set of 5 for surround sound). i am a little confused about the av and the avp versions of this amp. any help and info would be appreciated as i am new to xlr/twist connection side of home theatre setup.
post #12 of 19 Old 11-27-2018, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDoyle View Post
hello, i noticed this forum when looking for info on this unit. please could someone tell me if i can use the av(p) model with a set of active speakers (or a set of 5 for surround sound). i am a little confused about the av and the avp versions of this amp. any help and info would be appreciated as i am new to xlr/twist connection side of home theatre setup.
There are two models DN-700 AVP and DN-700 AV, the 700 AV is basically an integrated receiver/processor it has 75 watts per channel amplification. The 700 AVP is a preamp processor which can be used with powered speakers.
post #13 of 19 Old 11-27-2018, 08:13 AM

Quote:
There are two models DN-700 AVP and DN-700 AV, the 700 AV is basically an integrated receiver/processor it has 75 watts per channel amplification. The 700 AVP is a preamp processor which can be used with powered speakers.
so it would be ok to connect 5 separate active speakers for a surround setup and not a ridiculous idea!
do you know if there would there be a lot of 'noise' /interference/gain issues...thank you for reply.
post #14 of 19 Old 11-27-2018, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDoyle View Post
so it would be ok to connect 5 separate active speakers for a surround setup and not a ridiculous idea!
do you know if there would there be a lot of 'noise' /interference/gain issues...thank you for reply.
Sure you can connect multiple active speakers. I cannot speak on "noise/interference" issues as I didn't use the AVP 700 with active speakers when I had it. however based on experience with active speakers in a home theater setup, you shouldn't experience major noise/interference issues, if you keep the cable runs as short as possible and use quality XLR cables.
post #15 of 19 Old 06-05-2019, 08:49 AM

I've got five of these units at my office - we needed surround receivers with XLR outputs and at the time, this was the only legit option under about $3000. In the two years we've had them, four of them have failed and another went into thermal protect mode yesterday for no reason.
post #16 of 19 Old 06-05-2019, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Costello View Post
I've got five of these units at my office - we needed surround receivers with XLR outputs and at the time, this was the only legit option under about $3000. In the two years we've had them, four of them have failed and another went into thermal protect mode yesterday for no reason.
Sorry to hear about that at least you were able to get some time with them, both of my processors were riddled with problems pretty much out of the box. The previous model (AV 500) was very reliable for me which is one of the reasons I decided to upgrade to the 700.
post #17 of 19 Old 06-08-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Sorry to hear about that at least you were able to get some time with them, both of my processors were riddled with problems pretty much out of the box. The previous model (AV 500) was very reliable for me which is one of the reasons I decided to upgrade to the 700.
Yeah, I've got a 500 at home and, aside from the occasional disconcerting-but-apparently-harmless random relay click, it's great. I've had it for about 4 years, and got it off ebay.

I think my favorite part of this saga was the first time I had to ask Denon Pro support for help. I didn't have any hardware failures out of the box, but I did run into a bunch of issues calibrating them, and when I contacted support, the service rep said that I had to contact Denon Consumer because this wasn't a Denon Pro product. So, I emailed him a photo of the box.

-Dan.
post #18 of 19 Old 06-08-2019, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Costello View Post
Yeah, I've got a 500 at home and, aside from the occasional disconcerting-but-apparently-harmless random relay click, it's great. I've had it for about 4 years, and got it off ebay.

I think my favorite part of this saga was the first time I had to ask Denon Pro support for help. I didn't have any hardware failures out of the box, but I did run into a bunch of issues calibrating them, and when I contacted support, the service rep said that I had to contact Denon Consumer because this wasn't a Denon Pro product. So, I emailed him a photo of the box.

-Dan.
LOL! The same thing happened to me was told to contact consumer support, so I called and not even 30 seconds into the call, I was told I had to contact pro support. What a circle jerk! I moved on to the Outlaw Audio 976 and never looked back.
Daniel Costello likes this.
post #19 of 19 Old 10-23-2019, 02:25 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I recently got this unit cheap on ebay because I really wanted something with XLR preamp outputs and XLR subwoofer output with a crossover.. and a remote. this was by far the cheapest new model prepro with xlr I could find

currently using the Denon as dac and preamp, speaker amp is an iceedge 1200as2 amplifier.. connected with xlr cables.. using crossover in the denon to remove 80hz and down from the kef q900 and using the xtz 3x12 subwoofer for 80hz and down.. it sounds amazing.. for home theatre you really feel the headroom from the powerful 600watt per channel class d amp.

cons: volume up/down buttons on the remote are kind of small, no light on remote and the shape of the remote makes it hard to tell if you're holding it upside down in a darkened home theatre room. the lights around the two knobs on the denon are bright and don't turn off. the volume number on the display is too small to read from a distance. firmware bug, you can't adjust speaker distance for the left speaker less than 1.8 meters? I forget exactly which speaker and distance it was. I didn't see any firmware updates available.

pluses: the xlr preouts and subwoofer out are very clean and sound great.. volume adjustment via remote is great it's able to go very low to high with a good range of adjustment. hdmi input from my Intel NUC - no issues..

overall it does what I wanted.. takes hdmi input from my Intel NUC and converts the 5.1 or 7.1 bitstream to 2.1 for my speakers and subwoofer. has a good volume control and lets me use all XLR cables for my speaker amp and new XTZ 3x12. the xlr preouts do seem to have very good quality and have gain.. it seems better than just going straight from DAC to speaker amp.

maybe I'll email support and see if they have a firmware update for the speaker distance issue

Gear list: Main setup - Kef Q900, Svs sb12-nsd subwoofer, onkyo 609 receiver, epson 8350 projector, elitescreens sable 92" screen, mac mini htpc
Bedroom setup: Philharmonic Audio New Philharmonitors, Odyssey Kismet Monoblocks, Soekris Dac, Hattor active preamp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page