4K replacement for Anthem D2 pre-pro? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By cargen

post #1 of 8 Old 10-24-2017, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Question 4K replacement for Anthem D2 pre-pro?

I've got an Anthem/Paradigm setup that I've been very happy with for a long time - D2/P5/P2, and a 7.1 Sig/SVS(sub) setup. With the release of the new Sony 4K projectors, I'm looking to switch to one of those, and upgrade my Stewart to support 4K.

But sadly, Anthem seems to be ignoring 4K completely, and while I care most about sound, there isn't a practical way to split out the 4K HDMI video/audio (e.g. from the AppleTV 4K) to my current setup and the new projector. I tried a bunch of devices when I setup my LG OLED 4K in the family room, and none of the splitters, etc. support true 4K/4:4:4/Dolby Vision splitting. Not sure why, but they don't.

So - any recommendations for a comparable pre-pro in terms of sound quality, that also supports at least full 4K passthrough? Not sure I care about upscaling as nearly all my video at this point is coming from the AppleTV (now 4K). I do care about sound quality though, and the sound processing. No Atmos, but full 7.1 (maybe 7.2 soon).

Oh, would also like preset video zoom settings too, like the D2 has, in case the projector doesn't support auto anamorphic/non-animorphic conversion.

Thanks in advance!
Mark

Cord cutter for 5+ years...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-05-2019, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Did you find one? I’m looking 2
post #3 of 8 Old 04-06-2019, 01:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I went from D2 with amazing sound to Marantz 7005 - mainly for the features.

The Marantz was ok, but clearly a notch down sonics wise vs. the D2.

I've recently upgraded to the Krell Foundation 4k UHD and couldn't be happier. The sound is amazing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-06-2019, 04:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbMagFab View Post
I've got an Anthem/Paradigm setup that I've been very happy with for a long time - D2/P5/P2, and a 7.1 Sig/SVS(sub) setup. With the release of the new Sony 4K projectors, I'm looking to switch to one of those, and upgrade my Stewart to support 4K.

But sadly, Anthem seems to be ignoring 4K completely, and while I care most about sound, there isn't a practical way to split out the 4K HDMI video/audio (e.g. from the AppleTV 4K) to my current setup and the new projector. I tried a bunch of devices when I setup my LG OLED 4K in the family room, and none of the splitters, etc. support true 4K/4:4:4/Dolby Vision splitting. Not sure why, but they don't.

So - any recommendations for a comparable pre-pro in terms of sound quality, that also supports at least full 4K passthrough? Not sure I care about upscaling as nearly all my video at this point is coming from the AppleTV (now 4K). I do care about sound quality though, and the sound processing. No Atmos, but full 7.1 (maybe 7.2 soon).

Oh, would also like preset video zoom settings too, like the D2 has, in case the projector doesn't support auto anamorphic/non-animorphic conversion.

Thanks in advance!
Mark
I would guess that you have not tried an HDFury Vertex then.

"It is a true 2×2 18Gbps HDMI matrix/spliter/switcher/scaler/converter/audio de-embedder, supporting any HDMI, any HDCP and any HDR up to HDR10+, HLG or Dolby Vision (including LLDV).
HDMI Audio is compatible with any format in existence today. HDMI2.1 features such as Auto Low Latency Mode and Variable Refresh Rate are supported for EDID signaling and source detection.
It provides full EDID management for an optimal handling of today’s wide variety of sources and displays and comes with OLED, OSD, IR, RS232 and stereo or optical audio output for ARC up to Atmos®, DD+®, Dolby® 7.1, DTS® and LPCM."

It will "Support any video and/or audio signal in existence today including DV, HLG, HDR10+, DTS:X, ATMOS and more…"

"Vertex allows any source (Blu-ray, UHD Blu-ray, media players, satellite receiver, game consoles, PCs, etc.) to be shown on any of the connected displays and any sources HDMI audio to be played on any AVR."

https://www.hdfury.com/
post #5 of 8 Old 04-06-2019, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLand View Post
I went from D2 with amazing sound to Marantz 7005 - mainly for the features.

The Marantz was ok, but clearly a notch down sonics wise vs. the D2.

I've recently upgraded to the Krell Foundation 4k UHD and couldn't be happier. The sound is amazing.

Sorry but this is bad advice if he is lookingfor 4k since the Krelldoesnt do 18Gbps on the HDMI interfaces.

/// Carl-Fredrik
post #6 of 8 Old 04-06-2019, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFSM View Post
Sorry but this is bad advice if he is lookingfor 4k since the Krelldoesnt do 18Gbps on the HDMI interfaces.
Well he said sonics were important. Not really sure what other prepro south of $10k+ would be a better option. Definitely in 6-18 months many more options will arise.

Krell is on the prespice of releasing a full HDMI 2.0b device for just such the OP's situation.

post #7 of 8 Old 04-06-2019, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 85
I have both an Anthen D2v and an Anthem AVM-60 in my rack, the former for over a decade (upgraded from a D2), the latter for about 2 years.

I have the PrePro's custom-wired so that they alternately output via remote control to the same power amps and Atmos speaker array in my autio-sig below.

The only reason that I retain the D2v is because the AVM-60 lacks component and 6-channel Inputs and I have a 200+ collection of treasured SACD's stored in a Sony DVP-CX-777ES 400-disc changer that I use often, mostly for SACD playback, but occasionally for playback of a few DVD's iunavailable in, or yet to be replaced with higher resolution sources.

SONICALLY, I cannot tell the difference between my D2V and AVM-60. I much prefer the ARC-2 interface of the AVM-60 v the D2v and as all on this thread probably already know, the ARC software is due for a major upgrade any day this month.
Jonas2 likes this.

JVC RS3000 in AeroLift 150, Paladin DCR lens, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Two Screens: Stewart ElectiScreen StudioTek 130G 153” 240:1 and Screen Innovations Motorized Series 5 Slate 1.2 120" 16:9, Rack: Anthem AVM-60, Oppo 203, Sony CX-7000ES BD Changer, two Anthem A-5's, Rotel 1075, Atmos 7.2.4: 7 Thiel PowerPoint 1.2's, 2 SVS SB-16 Ultra's, 4 Thiel PowerPlane 1.2's. Projector cabling: FIBBR + RUIPro 10M, Remote: URC MX-990.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-06-2019, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I have the D2v and a Sony ES695 projector. I use an Oppo 203 4K bluray player. On the Oppo I have the video going directly to the proj. on HDMI 1 input using an Optic fiber cable, the audio goes to the D2v. I use D2v for the audio/video output using the HDMI 2 input on the proj. for my Samsung tv tuner, an Xbox 1 and an older Oppo 983 dvd using a Monoprice HDMI cable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page