"Official" 2017 Marantz SR8012 Owner's thread - Page 32 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1100Likes

post #931 of 1644 Old 08-27-2018, 04:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 739 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22565 Post(s)
Liked: 12280
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj-34 View Post
I didn't realize that with the Option - Channel Level Adjust one can modify the individual speaker level for any particular input source ...
Is it sticky ? Well I guess I need to read the manual again and just try it.
Yes, although the setting can also be saved when using a SMART SELECT setting as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 1644 Old 08-27-2018, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I'm coming from the Denon AVR X4200W to the SR8012.

My first impression after the internal AVR calibration was a little disappointing, definitely felt worse (maybe due to my expectations). Then I bought the Audyssey App and re-did the calibration, both in my Home Theater listening position and my Stereo position. It got way better. I don't know if it is abysmally better than the 4200, but it seems definitely better, sometimes much better. Also, now I can change Audyssey Profiles as my two positions are about 21 feet apart or more. It takes less than a minute. Another advantage is that Airplay works much better. With the X4200, I had to turn on the AVR, put it into Internet Radio and then connect the streaming source. Now I just connect the streaming source and Airplay recognizes the AVR in the network, turns it on and then it plays, the process being much more straightforward and faster. Another few points: I don't care much about HDMI 2.1, I believe it will not be really used in many years to come, 4K is not fully implemented, at least where I live, I wonder how long it will take for 8K; I think eARC will be a much more meaningful upgrade (you can always use an 8K TV as hub and then connect the eArc to the AVR, if I'm not mistaken); consider a little shame there is no bidirectional bluetooth to connect a headphone, but I knew it upfront; and do not bother too much about Atmos, one day, maybe.

All in all, considering the improvements in Sound Quality (the gear+better calibration) and usability, a worthy (though expensive) upgrade if one can afford with not much effort. But I guess, as in most consumer products, after a certain level of quality, the returns are not proportional to the extra money spent. To be clear, I'm no certified Audiophile nor intend to be, this was just my 2 cents to try to help other users in a similar situation.

Samsung UN78HU9000GXZD / Marantz SR8012 / B&W 705 S2 + HTM71 S2 Front + B&W DB4S sub + Polk Audio Monitor 30 Back
LG OLED 65C8PSA / Marantz SR6013 / B&W CM1 S2 + CM Center S2 Front + Jamo J10 sub + NHT SuperZeros 2.1 Back
LG OLED 55EA9850 / Yamaha Soundbar YSP 2700
post #933 of 1644 Old 08-27-2018, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
The speakers are calibrated using a 75dB test tone and adjusted as necessary based on the sound received at the 1st mic position which will vary based on their distance and sensitivity rating (eg. higher the sensitivity, eg. Klipsch at 98dB, the more negative the resulting speaker trim). In the vast majority of cases, all speakers and sub will be in the negative range. However, you can use the Option - Channel Level Adjust setting to adjust the level of an individual speaker or sub for a particular source if that is your preference.
Got it! Did a little more digging, you're right, it adjusts the levels so when the volume is at 0 it's reference. Thanks again!

EYES: Sony 75z9d
EARS: Klipsch: Front - RF7 | Center - RC7 | Side Surround - RF35 | Rear Surround - RS35
BRAIN: Marantz 8012
FOOD: Oppo BDP 103D: HD and 3D, SACD/CD | Sony UBP‑X700: 4K | Marantz 1975 6300 Turntable (Grado Blue Cartridge)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #934 of 1644 Old 08-27-2018, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbernstein View Post
I'm coming from the Denon AVR X4200W to the SR8012.

My first impression after the internal AVR calibration was a little disappointing, definitely felt worse (maybe due to my expectations). Then I bought the Audyssey App and re-did the calibration, both in my Home Theater listening position and my Stereo position. It got way better. I don't know if it is abysmally better than the 4200, but it seems definitely better, sometimes much better. Also, now I can change Audyssey Profiles as my two positions are about 21 feet apart or more. It takes less than a minute. Another advantage is that Airplay works much better. With the X4200, I had to turn on the AVR, put it into Internet Radio and then connect the streaming source. Now I just connect the streaming source and Airplay recognizes the AVR in the network, turns it on and then it plays, the process being much more straightforward and faster. Another few points: I don't care much about HDMI 2.1, I believe it will not be really used in many years to come, 4K is not fully implemented, at least where I live, I wonder how long it will take for 8K; I think eARC will be a much more meaningful upgrade (you can always use an 8K TV as hub and then connect the eArc to the AVR, if I'm not mistaken); consider a little shame there is no bidirectional bluetooth to connect a headphone, but I knew it upfront; and do not bother too much about Atmos, one day, maybe.

All in all, considering the improvements in Sound Quality (the gear+better calibration) and usability, a worthy (though expensive) upgrade if one can afford with not much effort. But I guess, as in most consumer products, after a certain level of quality, the returns are not proportional to the extra money spent. To be clear, I'm no certified Audiophile nor intend to be, this was just my 2 cents to try to help other users in a similar situation.
Just an FYI, but Yamaha dropped the Bluetooth transmit capability on their 2018 models.
post #935 of 1644 Old 08-27-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Just an FYI, but Yamaha dropped the Bluetooth transmit capability on their 2018 models.
Do you know any good reason for that?

Samsung UN78HU9000GXZD / Marantz SR8012 / B&W 705 S2 + HTM71 S2 Front + B&W DB4S sub + Polk Audio Monitor 30 Back
LG OLED 65C8PSA / Marantz SR6013 / B&W CM1 S2 + CM Center S2 Front + Jamo J10 sub + NHT SuperZeros 2.1 Back
post #936 of 1644 Old 08-27-2018, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Do you know any good reason for that?
Nope.
mbernstein likes this.
post #937 of 1644 Old 08-27-2018, 06:30 PM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 6668 Post(s)
Liked: 6656
Quote:

Overall it seems like you are happy with your upgrade, thats great news
post #938 of 1644 Old 08-27-2018, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Overall it seems like you are happy with your upgrade, thats great news
Yes, I am. Thanks!

post #939 of 1644 Old 08-27-2018, 08:13 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
...All in all, considering the improvements in Sound Quality (the gear+better calibration) and usability, a worthy (though expensive) upgrade if one can afford with not much effort. But I guess, as in most consumer products, after a certain level of quality, the returns are not proportional to the extra money spent.
Yes, this model is definitely starting up the steepening slope of "diminishing returns".

The Denon 'stable mates'/equivalents will play sound very nearly just about as well, for less money. Or an Emerson, perhaps somewhat less well, and certainly for even less money.

It is always a totally personal decision about when paying disproportionately more for that ever smaller improvement is worthwhile. (In the absence of specific desired/required features which are either 100% present, or not.)

I would like to have separates (dedicated pre-amp + dedicated power-amps). And I might be able to hear the improvement such would provide. But there are limits to my discretionary spending. And I just do not have a strong enough justification/desire to go that route with the consequent opportunity costs which that would impose.

== Edit
Oh, and I am very satisfied with my new SR8012.
After over the years having gone the route of Yamaha, Pioneer, Denon AVR-5700, 3808ci, X3300W -> this Marantz.

Thank you, Mike at AV Science, for being so kind as to sell me one.

Last edited by CrazyEddie; 08-27-2018 at 08:22 PM.
post #940 of 1644 Old 08-27-2018, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyEddie View Post
Yes, this model is definitely starting up the steepening slope of "diminishing returns".

The Denon 'stable mates'/equivalents will play sound very nearly just about as well, for less money. Or an Emerson, perhaps somewhat less well, and certainly for even less money.

It is always a totally personal decision about when paying disproportionately more for that ever smaller improvement is worthwhile. (In the absence of specific desired/required features which are either 100% present, or not.)

I would like to have separates (dedicated pre-amp + dedicated power-amps). And I might be able to hear the improvement such would provide. But there are limits to my discretionary spending. And I just do not have a strong enough justification/desire to go that route with the consequent opportunity costs which that would impose.

== Edit
Oh, and I am very satisfied with my new SR8012.
After over the years having gone the route of Yamaha, Pioneer, Denon AVR-5700, 3808ci, X3300W -> this Marantz.

Thank you, Mike at AV Science, for being so kind as to sell me one.
Yes, exactly my point. Luckily, somewhat my expectations were close to what I've got, and I can afford the upgrade with no regrets. But I believe I might have reached my "ears limit" with this AVR and my B&W 705 S2 that I bought recently... Hopefully...

post #941 of 1644 Old 08-27-2018, 08:35 PM

Quote:
...But I believe I might have reached my "ears limit" with this AVR and my B&W 705 S2 that I bought recently... Hopefully...
lol - I hear that.

Only reason I left the Denon 5700 for the 3808 was "gotta have HDMI".

The move to the 3300 was driven by "gotta have 4k".

This move to the SR8012 was for "gotta spend a weekend on a ladder screwing speakers to the ceiling and running/hiding wires" (Atmos / DTS:X).

And the decision to 'while I'm at it' get back to a "no compromise" (within my means) level of quality.

Luckily, I can (I am convinced I can) hear the sonic superiority of the Marantz SR8012 over the Denon X3300W.

But, nope, will never again need a better unit.
post #942 of 1644 Old 08-27-2018, 08:59 PM

Quote:
lol - I hear that.

Only reason I left the Denon 5700 for the 3808 was "gotta have HDMI".

The move to the 3300 was driven by "gotta have 4k".

This move to the SR8012 was for "gotta spend a weekend on a ladder screwing speakers to the ceiling and running/hiding wires" (Atmos / DTS:X).

And the decision to 'while I'm at it' get back to a "no compromise" (within my means) level of quality.

Luckily, I can (I am convinced I can) hear the sonic superiority of the Marantz SR8012 over the Denon X3300W.

But, nope, will never again need a better unit.

Last sentence is very ambitious, "never"...

I'm assuming, if it does not break, only when 8K is fully implemented, and even then only if I need to plug more sources than the available inputs in a future 8K TV. Although it seems there will be less and less non-streaming sources in the future... But this might just be wishful thinking and they will probably create some "unavoidable" feature to have in a newer model. Let's see and enjoy this one for a few years.
bluemoon737 likes this.

post #943 of 1644 Old 08-27-2018, 08:59 PM

Quote:
But I believe I might have reached my "ears limit" with this AVR and my B&W 705 S2 that I bought recently... Hopefully...
IMO you might very well have reached that happy point.

Near 20 years ago when I purchased the Denon AVR-5700, a pair of B&W 805 + matching center channel was part of that year's upgrade.

About 10 years ago, around the time of the Denon 3808ci and shifting from a rear to a front projector for the video, found a pair of 805s on sale and moved the original design 805 pair to be the side surround speakers. The current 805d line has increased in cost past my point of diminishing returns to consider upgrading to those.

Bottom line, for two decades now I've never been less than fully satisfied with that B&W model line and I fully expect your 705s can do a good job, good enough to hear the difference, due to the Marantz HDAM approach. (With appropriate subwoofers added to help with heavy lifting. For me, initially a Velodyne back in the previous millennium and now a pair of SVS PC12plus wooly barrels.)

Of course, this is where I've put my money so it's gotta be good.
(perception bias must always be considered as a possibility.)

But, to get back to the thread topic, for anyone considering plonking down the cost of an SR8012, be sure that your speakers are already at that quality level. Don't forget to spend more on your set of speakers than on your AVR as a rule of thumb.

== edit
Trivial edit to be clear that I'm referencing three generations of B&W speakers in the text above. "805", "805s" and "805d".
mbernstein likes this.

Last edited by CrazyEddie; 08-27-2018 at 09:15 PM.
post #944 of 1644 Old 08-31-2018, 07:30 AM

Quote:
IMO you might very well have reached that happy point.

Near 20 years ago when I purchased the Denon AVR-5700, a pair of B&W 805 + matching center channel was part of that year's upgrade.

About 10 years ago, around the time of the Denon 3808ci and shifting from a rear to a front projector for the video, found a pair of 805s on sale and moved the original design 805 pair to be the side surround speakers. The current 805d line has increased in cost past my point of diminishing returns to consider upgrading to those.

Bottom line, for two decades now I've never been less than fully satisfied with that B&W model line and I fully expect your 705s can do a good job, good enough to hear the difference, due to the Marantz HDAM approach. (With appropriate subwoofers added to help with heavy lifting. For me, initially a Velodyne back in the previous millennium and now a pair of SVS PC12plus wooly barrels.)

Of course, this is where I've put my money so it's gotta be good.
(perception bias must always be considered as a possibility.)

But, to get back to the thread topic, for anyone considering plonking down the cost of an SR8012, be sure that your speakers are already at that quality level. Don't forget to spend more on your set of speakers than on your AVR as a rule of thumb.

== edit
Trivial edit to be clear that I'm referencing three generations of B&W speakers in the text above. "805", "805s" and "805d".
You are right about everything. I was tempted to do the AVR upgrade because I upgraded to the B&W 705 S2 from the CM1. When I plugged the 705 to my older Denon 4200, the difference was already very clear on the B&Ws with the 705 being now closer to the 8 series. Thus I wanted t get the best of my speakers. I love the B&Ws and am enjoying very much my SR8012. Hopefully I am at the happy point you alluded to and will keep my gear as long as you did! I really hope!

Last edited by mbernstein; 08-31-2018 at 07:45 AM.
post #945 of 1644 Old 08-31-2018, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Last sentence is very ambitious, "never"...

I'm assuming, if it does not break, only when 8K is fully implemented, and even then only if I need to plug more sources than the available inputs in a future 8K TV. Although it seems there will be less and less non-streaming sources in the future... But this might just be wishful thinking and they will probably create some "unavoidable" feature to have in a newer model. Let's see and enjoy this one for a few years.
8K already on the horizon, but I’m sure it’s still quite a ways away from friendly pricing and full implementation.
https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...-8k-tv-october
Damn this hobby. I just got my 4K tv and have yet to purchase a 8012.🙄

Man cave-Marantz 8012, Oppo 203, 4K ATV, Sony XBR-75X940E, Bluesound Vault 2, Harmony One, 2 Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-390, 2ADP 390's/190's, 2 PDR 100's,
4 SVS Prime elevations. B&W P5. Living room- Yamaha 2010, Bluesound Node 2, Paradigm SE-1's, Zone 2-Paradigm-Stylus 370-SM
Bedroom- Samsung UN60ES7100F, Oppo 103D, Pulse Mini, JBL Bar Studio, ATV3 and Harmony 650
post #946 of 1644 Old 08-31-2018, 05:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked: 2705
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaduke View Post
8K already on the horizon, but I’m sure it’s still quite a ways away from friendly pricing and full implementation.
But, the 8012 will have eARC which is the great savior in AVR longevity...once source and display devices require 2.1 just use the display as your switching device and still keep all the full lossless audio via eARC.
pappaduke likes this.

-Jeff-
Man cave: Sony XBR75Z9D, Marantz SR8012, and OPPO UDP-203
Living room: Sony XBR75X950G, Denon x4500, and Sony UBP-X800M2
post #947 of 1644 Old 08-31-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaduke View Post
I don't care about 8k. Not even one little bit.

Do the math. How close do you have to sit to how big of a screen before the human eye can resolve that?
bobbyhollywood likes this.
post #948 of 1644 Old 08-31-2018, 06:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't care about 8k. Not even one little bit.

Do the math. How close do you have to sit to how big of a screen before the human eye can resolve that?
Just pointing out it’s (8K) coming. I won’t care until the prices drop, content is available and I’ve gotten good use out of the set I just purchased a few months ago. Besides, I’m still several months from purchasing an 8012.

Man cave-Marantz 8012, Oppo 203, 4K ATV, Sony XBR-75X940E, Bluesound Vault 2, Harmony One, 2 Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-390, 2ADP 390's/190's, 2 PDR 100's,
4 SVS Prime elevations. B&W P5. Living room- Yamaha 2010, Bluesound Node 2, Paradigm SE-1's, Zone 2-Paradigm-Stylus 370-SM
Bedroom- Samsung UN60ES7100F, Oppo 103D, Pulse Mini, JBL Bar Studio, ATV3 and Harmony 650
post #949 of 1644 Old 09-01-2018, 01:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I did it the other way round, I first changed my avr to a 8012 that I can fully enjoy now, and will change my PJ later when all the conditions are met ( technology AND money ).
post #950 of 1644 Old 09-01-2018, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

My original plan was 8012, Atmos speakers, 4K TV and then an Oppo 203. Oppo killed my plan with there shutdown of making players. So I purchased a 203, then my dealer gave me a great deal on a Sony 940E 4K.

post #951 of 1644 Old 09-05-2018, 09:09 PM

New firmware offered today. Any information about it yet?
post #952 of 1644 Old 09-06-2018, 02:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Is it ?May be IMAX as mentioned ?? !!!

Sent from my BND-AL10 using Tapatalk
post #953 of 1644 Old 09-06-2018, 03:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
They probably just fixed the reset issue with the previous release that was halted and they resumed sending it out again.

-Jeff-
post #954 of 1644 Old 09-06-2018, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 114
this new firmware is IMAX ENHANCED.

marantz av 8805, 13 chanels, emotiva 2 xpa 5 gen1,1 emotiva xpa3 gen3, 7.4.6,4 speakers monitor 11 ,2 paradigm studio 100 v2,4 ceillings speakers ss82w sweet spot earthquake ,2 earthquake ecs-8.0,1 center Paradigm cc390,4 subs klipsch r-sw112 sw.antimod 8033 perfect bass kit paradigm, Buttkicker amplificateur lfe 1000 watts, , tv oled 65e6p,, room 12x25x7,bluray player oppo bdp 203,4coolers ac infinity s9 fan.
post #955 of 1644 Old 09-06-2018, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmo View Post
Do we have confirmation of that?

-Jeff-
post #956 of 1644 Old 09-06-2018, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 114
check in web to marantz usa.

other model ;8805-8500 etc.

marantz av 8805, 13 chanels, emotiva 2 xpa 5 gen1,1 emotiva xpa3 gen3, 7.4.6,4 speakers monitor 11 ,2 paradigm studio 100 v2,4 ceillings speakers ss82w sweet spot earthquake ,2 earthquake ecs-8.0,1 center Paradigm cc390,4 subs klipsch r-sw112 sw.antimod 8033 perfect bass kit paradigm, Buttkicker amplificateur lfe 1000 watts, , tv oled 65e6p,, room 12x25x7,bluray player oppo bdp 203,4coolers ac infinity s9 fan.
post #957 of 1644 Old 09-06-2018, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
check in web to marantz usa.

other model ;8805-8500 etc.
Ahhh...the worst, most consumer unfriendly website I have ever encountered? I have to enter a model number AND SERIAL NUMBER to find out if there is new firmware. I have an owner's account there that has my 8012 registered...and I still can't go from that page to directly find out about upgrades/updates...I have to remember my serial number! That website is the absolute worst! Okay, off my soap box.

Love my 8012...HATE the Marantz website...just to be clear.

-Jeff-
post #958 of 1644 Old 09-07-2018, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Based upon a recent post from @batpig on the X8500 thread, I would say there is just about a zero chance this firmware includes the IMAX ENHANCED feature set.

-Jeff-
post #959 of 1644 Old 09-07-2018, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Based on the following IMAX enhanced DTS:X firmware update schedule, although the SR8012 is not listed, I would guess it will fall into the January 2019 update time frame.

DENON X8500H / Marantz AV8805 - October 2018

DENON X4500H/X6500H - Marantz SR6013/SR7013/AV7705 - January 2019
bluemoon737 likes this.
post #960 of 1644 Old 09-07-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Which, then, circles us back to this.

It gave an estimate of time required at 'about 2 minutes'.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
repairs , sr8012

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page