"Official" 2017 Marantz SR8012 Owner's thread - Page 33 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1100Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #961 of 1644 Old 09-07-2018, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bluemoon737's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Portsmouth, NH
Posts: 3,725
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked: 2705
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyEddie View Post
Which, then, circles us back to this.

It gave an estimate of time required at 'about 2 minutes'.
No idea what it did (if anything) but it did hang up on me. Had to unplug to get the AVR to start responding again but all appears to be working fine. As I mentioned earlier, I suspect it is just a re-issue of the previous firmware that was halted due to the settings being erased issue.

-Jeff-
Man cave: Sony XBR75Z9D, Marantz SR8012, and OPPO UDP-203
Living room: Sony XBR75X950G, Denon x4500, and Sony UBP-X800M2
bluemoon737 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #962 of 1644 Old 09-07-2018, 03:33 PM
Senior Member
 
CrazyEddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 421
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon737 View Post
No idea what it did (if anything) but it did hang up on me. Had to unplug to get the AVR to start responding again but all appears to be working fine. As I mentioned earlier, I suspect it is just a re-issue of the previous firmware that was halted due to the settings being erased issue.
Yes, as you said earlier: "suspect".

And your reported experience does not make me just gung-ho ready to apply it.

== edit
But even so, I went ahead and did it tonight. (After remembering to do a 'save to USB' before allowing the operation.)

No problems during the upgrade nor in performance afterward so far as I can tell with some limited usage.

NOTE: I was probably in a very small population set who actually applied the immediately prior upgrade before it was pulled. So 1) nice to see that mine is now back to the 'mainstream path' and 2) YMMV .
bluemoon737 likes this.

Last edited by CrazyEddie; 09-07-2018 at 11:22 PM.
CrazyEddie is offline  
post #963 of 1644 Old 09-09-2018, 04:47 AM
Advanced Member
 
zimmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: montreal quebec
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 114
IN FRANCE said the first receiver and preamp to receive IMAX ENHANCED is 8805-8500 and sr 8012.


You need more information to IMAX ENHANCED ,we have officiel site in the web.(Google)


BLUMOON737


You right the new firmware is for reset issue before.

marantz av 8805, 13 chanels, emotiva 2 xpa 5 gen1,1 emotiva xpa3 gen3, 7.4.6,4 speakers monitor 11 ,2 paradigm studio 100 v2,4 ceillings speakers ss82w sweet spot earthquake ,2 earthquake ecs-8.0,1 center Paradigm cc390,4 subs klipsch r-sw112 sw.antimod 8033 perfect bass kit paradigm, Buttkicker amplificateur lfe 1000 watts, , tv oled 65e6p,, room 12x25x7,bluray player oppo bdp 203,4coolers ac infinity s9 fan.

Last edited by zimmo; 09-09-2018 at 04:59 AM.
zimmo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #964 of 1644 Old 09-09-2018, 06:01 AM
Senior Member
 
2Charlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 407
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Has anyone encountered audio muting problem with SR8012? I was playing some movies from Plex and every so often there will be no audio. If I got out of playing movie in Plex, I could here the audio from navigating around with my Roku. If I went back to play the same movie in Plex, the audio would work but after certain amount of time, the audio would be gone again. Last night, instead of backing out of Plex, I restart (power off/on) the SR8012 and the audio works again. Any suggestion why it would happen and is there a way to fix this? Thank you!
2Charlie is offline  
post #965 of 1644 Old 09-09-2018, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 24,573
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6679 Post(s)
Liked: 6673
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbernstein View Post

My first impression after the internal AVR calibration was a little disappointing, definitely felt worse (maybe due to my expectations). Then I bought the Audyssey App and re-did the calibration, both in my Home Theater listening position and my Stereo position. It got way better.
Have a guy like Chad B roll thru, spend about 6-10 hours calibrating your system, and you will be flabbergasted then
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
post #966 of 1644 Old 09-09-2018, 09:25 PM
Member
 
mbernstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Brazil
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Have a guy like Chad B roll thru, spend about 6-10 hours calibrating your system, and you will be flabbergasted then
I believe, but.... I doubt it will be worthy for him to make a trip to Rio de Janeiro for that...

Samsung UN78HU9000GXZD / Marantz SR8012 / B&W 705 S2 + HTM71 S2 Front + B&W DB4S sub + Polk Audio Monitor 30 Back
LG OLED 65C8PSA / Marantz SR6013 / B&W CM1 S2 + CM Center S2 Front + Jamo J10 sub + NHT SuperZeros 2.1 Back
LG OLED 55EA9850 / Yamaha Soundbar YSP 2700
mbernstein is offline  
post #967 of 1644 Old 09-12-2018, 06:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: WI
Posts: 3,028
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2453 Post(s)
Liked: 1174
Anyone publish a test bench report on the 8012 yet...

Shopping List:
TV: LG C9/C10, or Samsung Q90R, or Sony ...
Blu-ray: Panasonic UB820, or Pioneer Elite LX500, or Sony X800M
AVR/Pre-pro: Marantz 8805/7705 or 8012, or Yamaha 5200 or 3080
Speakers: GE Triton One.R, or ML ElectroMotion ESL X
New24K is offline  
post #968 of 1644 Old 09-12-2018, 06:16 PM
Member
 
Dan30thz28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: NJ
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Smile

Yes, audioholics had a pre-release test of this AVR revealed within this thread.

TCL/Roku 65" R615 4K TV, SVS Ultra 5.0 Tower Surround System, Onkyo TX-SR805 for LCR, Onkyo HTR 940 for Surrounds, Dual SVS PB-2000 Subwoofers, Sony UBP X700 4K Ultra Blu-ray Player
Dan30thz28 is offline  
post #969 of 1644 Old 09-12-2018, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: WI
Posts: 3,028
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2453 Post(s)
Liked: 1174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan30thz28 View Post
Yes, audioholics had a pre-release test of this AVR revealed within this thread.

Yeah, I found the YouTube video - but it's a mess...

25 minutes long and he is off topic more than he is on, lol.

He says that it will be published - but I can't find it anywhere on his site or elsewhere...

bigguyca likes this.

Shopping List:
TV: LG C9/C10, or Samsung Q90R, or Sony ...
Blu-ray: Panasonic UB820, or Pioneer Elite LX500, or Sony X800M
AVR/Pre-pro: Marantz 8805/7705 or 8012, or Yamaha 5200 or 3080
Speakers: GE Triton One.R, or ML ElectroMotion ESL X
New24K is offline  
post #970 of 1644 Old 09-13-2018, 03:02 AM
Member
 
Robert Crawford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Michigan
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
How much of an improvement is the 8012 over my Yamaha 3060? Also, I'm thinking of getting an audio calibration so any calibrator recommendations?
Robert Crawford is offline  
post #971 of 1644 Old 09-13-2018, 04:47 AM
Member
 
Dan30thz28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: NJ
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
Yeah, I found the YouTube video - but it's a mess...

25 minutes long and he is off topic more than he is on, lol.

He says that it will be published - but I can't find it anywhere on his site or elsewhere...

If you watch it all the way through, he gives power ratings for 2, 5, and 7 channels driven.
Dan30thz28 is offline  
post #972 of 1644 Old 09-13-2018, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: WI
Posts: 3,028
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2453 Post(s)
Liked: 1174
So... 8 ohm

2-channels: 150 watts/channel

5-channels: 105 watts/channel

7-channels: 95 watts/channel

Shopping List:
TV: LG C9/C10, or Samsung Q90R, or Sony ...
Blu-ray: Panasonic UB820, or Pioneer Elite LX500, or Sony X800M
AVR/Pre-pro: Marantz 8805/7705 or 8012, or Yamaha 5200 or 3080
Speakers: GE Triton One.R, or ML ElectroMotion ESL X
New24K is offline  
post #973 of 1644 Old 09-13-2018, 12:34 PM
Member
 
Robert Crawford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Michigan
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Besides needing a separate amp which I have and run with my Yamaha 3060 and the 2.1 upgrade later this year are there any other differences performance-wise between the 8012 and 7704? The reason why I'm asking is that I can buy the 7704 a lot cheaper than the 8012.
Robert Crawford is offline  
post #974 of 1644 Old 09-13-2018, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: WI
Posts: 3,028
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2453 Post(s)
Liked: 1174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford View Post
Besides needing a separate amp which I have and run with my Yamaha 3060 and the 2.1 upgrade later this year are there any other differences performance-wise between the 8012 and 7704? The reason why I'm asking is that I can buy the 7704 a lot cheaper than the 8012.

The 8012 does not get the 2.1 upgrade... that is only the pro/pro 8805.

Shopping List:
TV: LG C9/C10, or Samsung Q90R, or Sony ...
Blu-ray: Panasonic UB820, or Pioneer Elite LX500, or Sony X800M
AVR/Pre-pro: Marantz 8805/7705 or 8012, or Yamaha 5200 or 3080
Speakers: GE Triton One.R, or ML ElectroMotion ESL X
New24K is offline  
post #975 of 1644 Old 09-13-2018, 12:49 PM
Member
 
Robert Crawford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Michigan
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
The 8012 does not get the 2.1 upgrade... that is only the pro/pro 8805.
Robert Zohn of ValueElectronics says the 8012 along with the 8805 and Denon 8500 receiver are eligible for the 2.1 hardware upgrade.
Robert Crawford is offline  
post #976 of 1644 Old 09-13-2018, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: WI
Posts: 3,028
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2453 Post(s)
Liked: 1174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford View Post
Robert Zohn of ValueElectronics says the 8012 along with the 8805 and Denon 8500 receiver are eligible for the 2.1 hardware upgrade.

If true that is new... and would be huge...

Because it was only the 8805 and 8500 originally...

jdsmoothie...

Shopping List:
TV: LG C9/C10, or Samsung Q90R, or Sony ...
Blu-ray: Panasonic UB820, or Pioneer Elite LX500, or Sony X800M
AVR/Pre-pro: Marantz 8805/7705 or 8012, or Yamaha 5200 or 3080
Speakers: GE Triton One.R, or ML ElectroMotion ESL X

Last edited by New24K; 09-13-2018 at 01:08 PM.
New24K is offline  
post #977 of 1644 Old 09-13-2018, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pappaduke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Philly area
Posts: 1,438
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
If true that is new... and would be huge...

Because it was only the 8805 and 8500 originally...

jdsmoothie...
The 8012 is already at the top of my list. 2.1 would take me from 99% sure to 100% sure.
Robert Crawford and New24K like this.

Man cave-Marantz 8012, Oppo 203, 4K ATV, Sony XBR-75X940E, Bluesound Vault 2, Harmony One, 2 Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-390, 2ADP 390's/190's, 2 PDR 100's,
4 SVS Prime elevations. B&W P5. Living room- Yamaha 2010, Bluesound Node 2, Paradigm SE-1's, Zone 2-Paradigm-Stylus 370-SM
Bedroom- Samsung UN60ES7100F, Oppo 103D, Pulse Mini, JBL Bar Studio, ATV3 and Harmony 650
pappaduke is offline  
post #978 of 1644 Old 09-13-2018, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 14,826
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4808 Post(s)
Liked: 2848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford View Post
Besides needing a separate amp which I have and run with my Yamaha 3060 and the 2.1 upgrade later this year are there any other differences performance-wise between the 8012 and 7704? The reason why I'm asking is that I can buy the 7704 a lot cheaper than the 8012.
Quality of construction is one differentiator, by which I mean the various "audiophile" enhancements which might or might not make an audible difference. Also, FWIW, the SR8012 is made in Japan while the AV7704 is made in Vietnam. There might (or might not) be some quality control differences as a result. One reason the SR8012 isn't available with as substantial a discount as the AV7704 is that it's still a current model. It won't be replaced until 2019 at the earliest. The AV7704 has been replaced by the AV7705, which just started shipping.
Robert Crawford likes this.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Selden Ball is offline  
post #979 of 1644 Old 09-13-2018, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 84,016
Mentioned: 740 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22595 Post(s)
Liked: 12295
Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
If true that is new... and would be huge...

Because it was only the 8805 and 8500 originally...

jdsmoothie...
Not aware the SR8012 is HDMI 2.1 upgradeable as the SR8014 will be released next year.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #980 of 1644 Old 09-14-2018, 07:54 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
If true that is new... and would be huge...

Because it was only the 8805 and 8500 originally...

jdsmoothie... [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/confused.gif[/IMG]
Not aware the SR8012 is HDMI 2.1 upgradeable as the SR8014 will be released next year.
It’s true. According to this interview with the Brand Director at Marantz fron CEDIA, the 8012 will get the HDMI 2.1 upgrade.

https://youtu.be/pbJ3edZtEGs

-Ryan
ryanschwartz80 is offline  
post #981 of 1644 Old 09-14-2018, 07:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: WI
Posts: 3,028
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2453 Post(s)
Liked: 1174
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanschwartz80 View Post
It’s true. According to this interview with the Brand Director at Marantz fron CEDIA, the 8012 will get the HDMI 2.1 upgrade.

https://youtu.be/pbJ3edZtEGs

I don't think that is what he said...

Shopping List:
TV: LG C9/C10, or Samsung Q90R, or Sony ...
Blu-ray: Panasonic UB820, or Pioneer Elite LX500, or Sony X800M
AVR/Pre-pro: Marantz 8805/7705 or 8012, or Yamaha 5200 or 3080
Speakers: GE Triton One.R, or ML ElectroMotion ESL X

Last edited by New24K; 09-14-2018 at 08:21 PM.
New24K is offline  
post #982 of 1644 Old 09-14-2018, 09:14 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanschwartz80 View Post
It’s true. According to this interview with the Brand Director at Marantz fron CEDIA, the 8012 will get the HDMI 2.1 upgrade.

https://youtu.be/pbJ3edZtEGs
I don't think that is what he said... [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif[/IMG]
You’re right. I went back and listened again and the AV8805 is mentioned by name as being HDMI 2.1 upgradable. They were talking flagship products and missed the specific naming of the AV8805 the first time around when talking HDMI 2.1.

-Ryan
ryanschwartz80 is offline  
post #983 of 1644 Old 09-15-2018, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member
 
zimmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: montreal quebec
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 114
FOR now just the model marantz 8805 and avr-x8500h receive firmware for 2.1 IN 2019.


FOR NEW MODEL 2019 ?


for me more add speaker (4)in new model have intérest for me because this receiver (sr 8012)is the best sound for me now,depend the new model in 2019 ,from Yamaha or onkyo new model comming whit 15 discrets chanels or more for shur I check.


I like to my house cinema room have 11.4.4,for now I have 7.4.4.

marantz av 8805, 13 chanels, emotiva 2 xpa 5 gen1,1 emotiva xpa3 gen3, 7.4.6,4 speakers monitor 11 ,2 paradigm studio 100 v2,4 ceillings speakers ss82w sweet spot earthquake ,2 earthquake ecs-8.0,1 center Paradigm cc390,4 subs klipsch r-sw112 sw.antimod 8033 perfect bass kit paradigm, Buttkicker amplificateur lfe 1000 watts, , tv oled 65e6p,, room 12x25x7,bluray player oppo bdp 203,4coolers ac infinity s9 fan.
zimmo is offline  
post #984 of 1644 Old 09-15-2018, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bigguyca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: East Turkestan
Posts: 1,767
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1100 Post(s)
Liked: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmo View Post
FOR now just the model marantz 8805 and avr-x8500h receive firmware for 2.1 IN 2019.


FOR NEW MODEL 2019 ?


for me more add speaker (4)in new model have intérest for me because this receiver (sr 8012)is the best sound for me now,depend the new model in 2019 ,from Yamaha or onkyo new model comming whit 15 discrets chanels or more for shur I check.


I like to my house cinema room have 11.4.4,for now I have 7.4.4.

Hardware and firmware. A hardware upgrade is required for compliance with the full feature set of HDMI 2.1. The requirement for a hardware upgrade is why only few existing models; the AV8805 and X8500H, will be eligible for upgrade.
bigguyca is online now  
post #985 of 1644 Old 09-15-2018, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gene4ht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Troy, MI
Posts: 3,979
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1984 Post(s)
Liked: 2681
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguyca View Post
Hardware and firmware. A hardware upgrade is required for compliance with the full feature set of HDMI 2.1. The requirement for a hardware upgrade is why only few existing models; the AV8805 and X8500H, will be eligible for upgrade.

It may be that @zimmo is just interchanging terminology. The real question is not technology but product positioning. From the photo's I've seen, the interior chassis design and layout of both the 8012 and 8500 are eerily similar. If they prove to be identical, then an HDMI board upgrade or swap for both should be doable...unless it was a product differentiating decision...just speculating and thinking out loud.
bluemoon737 likes this.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
gene4ht is online now  
post #986 of 1644 Old 09-15-2018, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 84,016
Mentioned: 740 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22595 Post(s)
Liked: 12295
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post
It may be that @zimmo is just interchanging terminology. The real question is not technology but product positioning. From the photo's I've seen, the interior chassis design and layout of both the 8012 and 8500 are eerily similar. If they prove to be identical, then an HDMI board upgrade or swap for both should be doable...unless it was a product differentiating decision...just speculating and thinking out loud.
There would be no reason to upgrade the SR8012 when it will be replaced with the SR8014 next year, possibly with the HDMI 2.1 board already installed whereas the X8500H won't be replaced for another few years.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #987 of 1644 Old 09-15-2018, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gene4ht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Troy, MI
Posts: 3,979
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1984 Post(s)
Liked: 2681
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
There would be no reason to upgrade the SR8012 when it will be replaced with the SR8014 next year, possibly with the HDMI 2.1 board already installed whereas the X8500H won't be replaced for another few years.

Agreed...the only possible downside would be for the owners of the 8012.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
gene4ht is online now  
post #988 of 1644 Old 09-15-2018, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bluemoon737's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Portsmouth, NH
Posts: 3,725
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked: 2705
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
There would be no reason to upgrade the SR8012 when it will be replaced with the SR8014 next year, possibly with the HDMI 2.1 board already installed whereas the X8500H won't be replaced for another few years.
Not disagreeing, but we do have the report from Robert at Value Electronics saying it would be offered. I really have no dog in this fight because I have no forseeable need for the full 2.1 feature set, but just want to "officially" put this to bed if we could.

-Jeff-
Man cave: Sony XBR75Z9D, Marantz SR8012, and OPPO UDP-203
Living room: Sony XBR75X950G, Denon x4500, and Sony UBP-X800M2
bluemoon737 is offline  
post #989 of 1644 Old 09-15-2018, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bigguyca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: East Turkestan
Posts: 1,767
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1100 Post(s)
Liked: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post
1) It may be that @zimmo is just interchanging terminology. The real question is not technology but product positioning. From the photo's I've seen, the interior chassis design and layout of both the 8012 and 8500 are eerily similar. If they prove to be identical, then an HDMI board upgrade or swap for both should be doable...unless it was a product differentiating decision...just speculating and thinking out loud.

1) So instead of relying on what people actually write, is it best to guess what they really mean? What if different readers make different guesses? In a technical field that seems a bad plan when answers actually exist. Your guess doesn't seem accurate technically. Interchanging, that is swapping the word hardware for the word firmware, isn't correct. A full upgrade to HDMI 2.1 will require both new hardware and firmware. Hardware and firmware are very different things, interchanging them (One online definition: putting each of (two things) in the other's place) is a significant error.

A closer match in units, except for price, is the AV8012 and the X6400H. The digital boards (the top horizontal board at the back of the units) appear the same, and that's the board that most likely would have to be swapped. Several other boards (at least audio video, amplifier, and speaker) are also identical. The block diagrams for the units are labeled AVRX6400/SR8012, so the basic functionality is essentially the same. The HDAM board just plugs into a circuit board that is that is the same in each unit.

There are at least technical, financial, risk, production, availability of upgrade resources, and product positioning factors that affect which units are upgraded. There is also the key fact that upgrades are committed for the X8500H and AV8805, and not for other units.
bigguyca is online now  
post #990 of 1644 Old 09-15-2018, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gene4ht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Troy, MI
Posts: 3,979
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1984 Post(s)
Liked: 2681
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguyca View Post
1) So instead of relying on what people actually write, is it best to guess what they really mean? What if different readers make different guesses? In a technical field that seems a bad plan when answers actually exist. Your guess doesn't seem accurate technically. Interchanging, that is swapping the word hardware for the word firmware, isn't correct. A full upgrade to HDMI 2.1 will require both new hardware and firmware. Hardware and firmware are very different things, interchanging them (One online definition: putting each of (two things) in the other's place) is a significant error.

A closer match in units, except for price, is the AV8012 and the X6400H. The digital boards (the top horizontal board at the back of the units) appear the same, and that's the board that most likely would have to be swapped. Several other boards (at least audio video, amplifier, and speaker) are also identical. The block diagrams for the units are labeled AVRX6400/SR8012, so the basic functionality is essentially the same. The HDAM board just plugs into a circuit board that is that is the same in each unit.

There are at least technical, financial, risk, production, availability of upgrade resources, and product positioning factors that affect which units are upgraded. There is also the key fact that upgrades are committed for the X8500H and AV8805, and not for other units.

Bottom line...this is not a semantics issue...but as I commented and you have eloquently outlined...a business decision...end of discussion.
PG55 likes this.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
gene4ht is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
repairs , sr8012

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off