"Official" 2017 Marantz SR8012 Owner's thread - Page 35 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1080Likes

post #1021 of 1580 Old 09-23-2018, 10:22 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moritz View Post
I will price one and see how much I can get one but right now I am waiting for my employment agency to find me another job. I already had this receiver bought and paid for before my job ended.
OK, for sure understand that.

Here's one thing I did with moderate success during the years before I broke down and bought a mic stand.

Take a length of 1x2 wood. About one third of the length you select, drill a hole just big enough for the tripod's camera thumbscrew to thread into it. Put just enough of a counterweight on the short end to balance out the long end.

With that in place you can then sit the Audyssey mic at the end of the 'long end' for easier placement at and around the MLP. If you put the tripod behind the MLP it will be quick to just 'swing' it to move the mic left/right about six inches for multiple measurement positions. And also to crank the tripod up or down a few inches for another set of three positions.
Dave Moritz likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1022 of 1580 Old 09-24-2018, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Thanks I will try that trick!

HT System: Marantz SR-8012 11.2 (7.2.4) Receiver, Sony XBR55A9F 55"OLED 4K HDR/Dolby Vision/IMAX Enhanced TV, Panasonic DP-UB9000 4K UHD Blu-ray Player, Toshiba HD-XA2 HD-DVD player,4K Apple TV 64GB, Speakers: Altec Lancing A-7's (L&R), Bowers & Wilkins HTM61 S2 center channel, Klipsch RP-600M Surround Speakers, Advent Marbles (Height Speakers), HSU VTF-3 MK5HP Subwoofer. AudioQuest Cables, Pangea Audio speaker stands.
post #1023 of 1580 Old 09-25-2018, 01:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 722 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22212 Post(s)
Liked: 12073
Mic Boom stand + adapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moritz View Post
I will price one and see how much I can get one but right now I am waiting for my employment agency to find me another job. I already had this receiver bought and paid for before my job ended.
Mic boom stand ---> https://www.amazon.com/Musicians-Gea...rum-convert-20

Required adapter to attach the Audyssey mic --> https://www.amazon.com/CM01-Camera-D.../dp/B001GWCC4I
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1024 of 1580 Old 09-25-2018, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 722 Post(s)
Quoted: 22212 Post(s)
Liked: 12073
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyEddie View Post
OK, for sure understand that.

Here's one thing I did with moderate success during the years before I broke down and bought a mic stand.

Take a length of 1x2 wood. About one third of the length you select, drill a hole just big enough for the tripod's camera thumbscrew to thread into it. Put just enough of a counterweight on the short end to balance out the long end.

With that in place you can then sit the Audyssey mic at the end of the 'long end' for easier placement at and around the MLP. If you put the tripod behind the MLP it will be quick to just 'swing' it to move the mic left/right about six inches for multiple measurement positions. And also to crank the tripod up or down a few inches for another set of three positions.
Another option is to use a paint stirrer stick.
pappaduke likes this.
post #1025 of 1580 Old 09-26-2018, 05:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 39
8012 over 7012

OK, I have a question. I have the SR7012 in my living room and am planning on retiring it to the bedroom to replace an underwhelming Denon AVR-X3200. Not that it sounds bad but it replaced a Yamaha RX-V2500 (currently serving as my office system receiver, this thing has power) and it has just been kinda MEH....... The 7012 move will make room for an SR8012 if I decide to go that route. My question is that a quick review of the specifications and information on the SR7012 and SR8012 show basically the same thing as far as internals regarding processing and more importantly the DAC's. They are the same yet I see a lot of people who discuss a "Huge Improvement" in the sound quality when going from the 7012 to the 8012. I am wondering if this is either placebo effect or possibly a bit of purchase justification?

I have recently been lucky enough to have received an Oppo UDP-205 (Joined the mailing list the day the offer came out) and am looking forward to getting it installed along with the 8012 but I question what real discernible difference I may be able to actually expect. Now I know the Oppo will be awesome but I do not presently have it hooked up to the SR7012 yet.

So any of you that have swapped out the SR7012 to the SR8012 what has your experience been? I know the SR8012 is better built with the copper chassis and the toroidal power supply. I know it has a bit more power but with the same DAC's how can it sound any different in the same room with the same equipment?

My system is a pair of Definitive Technologies ST-L's an CS-8080 HD Center a Supercube Reference and 4 in ceiling surrounds, along with the Oppo (To be installed) and a Roku, Dish Hopper and a 65" Panasonic Plasma and a Qnap server with about 9,000 songs mostly lossless. All componentry is hardwired to Ethernet.

Once I install and run audyssey won't it sound the same? Don't get me wrong. It took a little bit of time for my "Yamaha Trained" ears to come around to the Marantz sound (The Yamaha RX-A2010 I had was really, really bright on the top end in an exaggerated unnatural way) but now I love it as it is a very natural sounding receiver. Listening at spirited levels to some old Fleetwood Mac, for example in uncompressed FLAC files is a treat. To be clear when I listen to music I do so in "Pure Direct" mode no sub.

Any way just looking for some input from those who have switched from the 7012 to the 8012.

Thanks,

If it sounds and looks good, it sounds and looks good!!
post #1026 of 1580 Old 09-27-2018, 07:23 AM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4808 Post(s)
Liked: 2848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wafflebird View Post
OK, I have a question. I have the SR7012 in my living room and am planning on retiring it to the bedroom to replace an underwhelming Denon AVR-X3200. Not that it sounds bad but it replaced a Yamaha RX-V2500 (currently serving as my office system receiver, this thing has power) and it has just been kinda MEH....... The 7012 move will make room for an SR8012 if I decide to go that route. My question is that a quick review of the specifications and information on the SR7012 and SR8012 show basically the same thing as far as internals regarding processing and more importantly the DAC's. They are the same yet I see a lot of people who discuss a "Huge Improvement" in the sound quality when going from the 7012 to the 8012. I am wondering if this is either placebo effect or possibly a bit of purchase justification?
As you say, the noise and distortion specs listed in their manuals are identical. Pictures of their insides show that while the AV8012 and AV7012 seem to have identical digital electronics, they have quite different amp designs. Those design differences might result in somewhat better signal to noise and distortion levels in the SR8012 than are listed in its manual. Pictures of the SR8012's insides are shown at https://www.avsforum.com/marantz-deb...at-cedia-2017/ and pictures of the SR7012's insides can be seen at https://www.homecinemamagazine.nl/20...2-av-receiver/

However, don't forget than many people experience an unrecognized "expectation bias" when they listen to a device that they know is "better". I dunno to what extent that might apply to reviews you've read.

Quote:
I have recently been lucky enough to have received an Oppo UDP-205 (Joined the mailing list the day the offer came out) and am looking forward to getting it installed along with the 8012 but I question what real discernible difference I may be able to actually expect. Now I know the Oppo will be awesome but I do not presently have it hooked up to the SR7012 yet.

So any of you that have swapped out the SR7012 to the SR8012 what has your experience been? I know the SR8012 is better built with the copper chassis and the toroidal power supply. I know it has a bit more power but with the same DAC's how can it sound any different in the same room with the same equipment?
The DAC dhip itself is only part of the conversion from digital to analog. Differences in the accompanying analog circuitry can have a significant impact on the quality of the resulting audio. I dunno how much, if any, differences there are in those parts of the SR7012 and SR8012 designs, though.
Quote:
My system is a pair of Definitive Technologies ST-L's an CS-8080 HD Center a Supercube Reference and 4 in ceiling surrounds, along with the Oppo (To be installed) and a Roku, Dish Hopper and a 65" Panasonic Plasma and a Qnap server with about 9,000 songs mostly lossless. All componentry is hardwired to Ethernet.

Once I install and run audyssey won't it sound the same?
In principle, yes. However, slight differences in microphone placement can result in audible differences even when calibrating the same device in the same room. They'll certainly sound different when calibrated in different rooms: Audyssey XT32 is quite good, but it isn't perfect. Also, although their Audyssey microphones have identical designs, there are slight manufacturing differences from one batch to the next which sometimes can result in equipment sounding different.

If you haven't already, please take the time to look through the Audyssey 101/FAQ. It'll help you to get a good calibration. The instructions in the equipment's owner's manual are pathetically inadequate.
Quote:

Don't get me wrong. It took a little bit of time for my "Yamaha Trained" ears to come around to the Marantz sound (The Yamaha RX-A2010 I had was really, really bright on the top end in an exaggerated unnatural way) but now I love it as it is a very natural sounding receiver. Listening at spirited levels to some old Fleetwood Mac, for example in uncompressed FLAC files is a treat. To be clear when I listen to music I do so in "Pure Direct" mode no sub.

Any way just looking for some input from those who have switched from the 7012 to the 8012.

Thanks,

Sorry: I haven't done that. My comments above are the results of studying various documentation and what people have written about their experiences.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #1027 of 1580 Old 09-28-2018, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 2
So, anyone with this receiver knows how warm or hot this receiver gets? I usually use the receiver all day so..... I currently have the Yamaha receiver and that doesn’t get quite hot, and was just wondering. Thanks!

Also, do Marantz receivers do this weird upscale surround thing? Where, if the source is 5.1, the audio is being upscaled to 7.1 despite trying pretty much everything, do 5.1 sources show up AS 5.1, instead of being upscaled to 7.1? Because the Yamaha does this.

Last edited by dannphou; 09-28-2018 at 02:28 PM.
post #1028 of 1580 Old 09-29-2018, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannphou View Post
So, anyone with this receiver knows how warm or hot this receiver gets? I usually use the receiver all day so..... I currently have the Yamaha receiver and that doesn’t get quite hot, and was just wondering. Thanks!
How hot it gets depends on how good the air circulation is. Temperatures above 120 F have been reported for some models. Many people purchase external fans to ensure their equipment is kept cool.
Quote:
Also, do Marantz receivers do this weird upscale surround thing? Where, if the source is 5.1, the audio is being upscaled to 7.1 despite trying pretty much everything, do 5.1 sources show up AS 5.1, instead of being upscaled to 7.1? Because the Yamaha does this.
[/quote]

I'm not sure what you're trying to ask and have managed to interpret it in two opposite ways.

Are you asking if there are situations where upmixers do not scale 5.1 soundtracks to 7.1?
The answer to that is no, except perhaps in very special circumstances. For example, where the Surround channels actually contain identical audio. There's also the case where a stereo soundtrack is encoded as 5.1 but with silent Center and Surround channels. This latter is relatively common among TV stations. Upmixing them doesn't do anything useful because upmixing silence results in silence.

In general, incoming 5.1 soundtracks are shown as such in the Info display, and if you have a 7.1 channel speaker system, and if you have Dolby Surround, DTS Neural:X or Auro-3D enabled, all of your speakers should be making noise. (However, if you actually have a 6.1 speaker system, DSU will not use the Center Surround channel.)

Alternatively, do you mean what happens when you listen to a DTS 5.1 soundtracks but both the Surround and Rear Surround speakers always are active?

The latter happens because if you have a 7.1 (or larger) speaker system, the decoder provided by DTS always expands 5.1 DTS soundtracks to 7.1. This feature has been part of the DTS decoder for quite a few years now and is not unique to any particular A/V manufacturer. The only workaround is to manually disable the Rear Surround channels. I suspect their justification is that the sounds in the Surround channels of a 5.1 soundtrack are intended to come from behind the audience. If you have a 7.1 speaker system, the Surround speakers are supposed to be at the sides, not behind you. As a result, those sounds must also be sent to the Rear Surround speakers in order to ensure that they come from behind the listeners.

Selden

post #1029 of 1580 Old 09-29-2018, 06:27 AM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
How hot it gets depends on how good the air circulation is. Temperatures above 120 F have been reported for some models. Many people purchase external fans to ensure their equipment is kept cool.
I'm not sure what you're trying to ask and have managed to interpret it in two opposite ways.

Are you asking if there are situations where upmixers do not scale 5.1 soundtracks to 7.1?
The answer to that is no, except perhaps in very special circumstances. For example, where the Surround channels actually contain identical audio. There's also the case where a stereo soundtrack is encoded as 5.1 but with silent Center and Surround channels. This latter is relatively common among TV stations. Upmixing them doesn't do anything useful because upmixing silence results in silence.

In general, incoming 5.1 soundtracks are shown as such in the Info display, and if you have a 7.1 channel speaker system, and if you have Dolby Surround, DTS Neural:X or Auro-3D enabled, all of your speakers should be making noise. (However, if you actually have a 6.1 speaker system, DSU will not use the Center Surround channel.)

Alternatively, do you mean what happens when you listen to a DTS 5.1 soundtracks but both the Surround and Rear Surround speakers always are active?

The latter happens because if you have a 7.1 (or larger) speaker system, the decoder provided by DTS always expands 5.1 DTS soundtracks to 7.1. This feature has been part of the DTS decoder for quite a few years now and is not unique to any particular A/V manufacturer. The only workaround is to manually disable the Rear Surround channels. I suspect their justification is that the sounds in the Surround channels of a 5.1 soundtrack are intended to come from behind the audience. If you have a 7.1 speaker system, the Surround speakers are supposed to be at the sides, not behind you. As a result, those sounds must also be sent to the Rear Surround speakers in order to ensure that they come from behind the listeners.[/QUOTE]

Alright, wow. That makes a lot more sense now.

Right, about that 5.1 to 7.1 upscale thing. Yes, I'm a bit confused about it myself, since Im currently a Yamaha Aventage user and have never seen anything like this. I ask that because, when I use that receiver, and playback a 5.1 source. That receiver upscales it to 7.1 even though the source is 5.1, even when I'm in "STRAIGHT" mode. No decoders or such being used, just playing back as it is.

And that's why I was wondering if Marantz does the same thing with their receivers. This whole upscale thing with 5.1 upscaling to 7.1, even in just STRAIGHT mode.
post #1030 of 1580 Old 09-29-2018, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannphou View Post
Alright, wow. That makes a lot more sense now.

Right, about that 5.1 to 7.1 upscale thing. Yes, I'm a bit confused about it myself, since Im currently a Yamaha Aventage user and have never seen anything like this. I ask that because, when I use that receiver, and playback a 5.1 source. That receiver upscales it to 7.1 even though the source is 5.1, even when I'm in "STRAIGHT" mode. No decoders or such being used, just playing back as it is.

And that's why I was wondering if Marantz does the same thing with their receivers. This whole upscale thing with 5.1 upscaling to 7.1, even in just STRAIGHT mode.
I think you might be confusing decoders with upmixers.

Here at AVS, the term "decoder" is used to indicate the firmware which translates a Dolby or DTS soundtrack into PCM. If you don't do that decoding in the player device, it has to be done in the receiver. Then the receiver can apply an optional "upmixer" to expand 2.0, 5.1 or 7.1 soundtracks so they use all of your speakers. Some soundtracks have intentionally been recorded using differences in phase among its channels so that the upmixer's results can produce a predictable surround-sound experience. In the olden days this was called encoding and decoding too, but people here tend not to use the terms in that way nowadays. In other words, Yamaha's "straight" option means that an upmixer isn't being used; it doesn't mean that the audio isn't being decoded. It still has to apply the DTS decoder if the input signal is DTS; otherwise you'd hear a very loud screeching noise and not the sounds that you want.

That actually was a problem in the olden days when DTS encoding was first introduced. Trying to play a DTS soundtrack on a receiver that only understood Dolby generated only noise. Later models still required you to choose which decoder to apply and their manuals were full of warnings to pick the correct one. Fortunately, modern devices detect which encoding is in use and automatically select the appropriate decoder.

Unfortunately, modern DTS decoders always translate 5.1 DTS soundtracks into 7.1. Dolby's decoders don't do that for their Dolby soundtracks.

(Note that I'm using the terms DTS and Dolby generically. Both companies provide a large variety of encoding and decoding technologies.)
vn800art likes this.

Selden

post #1031 of 1580 Old 09-30-2018, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
The SR8012 pre-outs are always hot. Connect the SR8012 Height 1 and Height 2 pre-outs to the SR7007 [7.1 CH IN] FL/FR and SL/SR inputs with the speakers connected to the SR7007 FL/FR and SL/SR speaker posts. On the SR7007 set the volume to 80/0dB and the <INPUT MODE> to "7.1 CH IN". Run Audyssey on the SR8012.
thank you so much for the solution, i will try your way
post #1032 of 1580 Old 09-30-2018, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 997 Post(s)
Liked: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wafflebird View Post

- Omitted -

Quote:
As you say, the noise and distortion specs listed in their manuals are identical. Pictures of their insides show that while the AV8012 and AV7012 seem to have identical digital electronics, they have quite different amp designs. Those design differences might result in somewhat better signal to noise and distortion levels in the SR8012 than are listed in its manual. Pictures of the SR8012's insides are shown at https://www.avsforum.com/marantz-deb...at-cedia-2017/ and pictures of the SR7012's insides can be seen at https://www.homecinemamagazine.nl/20...2-av-receiver/

However, don't forget than many people experience an unrecognized "expectation bias" when they listen to a device that they know is "better". I dunno to what extent that might apply to reviews you've read.

The DAC dhip itself is only part of the conversion from digital to analog. Differences in the accompanying analog circuitry can have a significant impact on the quality of the resulting audio. I dunno how much, if any, differences there are in those parts of the SR7012 and SR8012 designs, though.

- Omitted -

Subjective reviews, many of them by owners, are mainly what's available on these two units. The following provides selected information on the design of the two units. How and if the differences in the designs would translate into audible differences in an owner's system, or in comparing the units in a store or other location, is an open question.

Circuit Boards:

It appears there are no identical circuit boards between the two units. Just for information, the AV8012 does share several circuit boards with the Denon X8500H AVR.

Digital Circuits:

The digital circuits, audio and video, appear to be very similar between the units. On the digital audio side, the units share the same DAC; the 8-channel AKM AK4458.

Power supplies:

The units have similar switched-mode power supplies.

The linear power supplies are different. The SR8012 has a toroidal transformer and 44,000 uF of capacitance. The SR7012 has an EI frame transformer and 30,000 uF. The toroidal transformer likely has more capacity (VA rating) although this is a guess, along with a less intense external magnetic field, which should help reduce noise. The EI transformer will pass less noise to its load, than the toroidal unit since its windings are further apart. The greater capacitance in the SR8012 will help maintain output during transients and will reduce power supply ripple. The level of ripple is inversely proportional to capacitance. Overall the SR8012 appears to have a much more robust power supply.

Preamp outputs:

The units have the same volume control. All of the analog signals for the main zone pass through this volume control. Both units have HDAM output buffers. The SR8012 HDAM's get power from a transistor regulated power supply, similar to the one used in the AV8805, but using a lower voltage. The SR7012 HDAM's receive power from an IC voltage regulator that is shared with all of the opamps in the unit. The quality of the power supply is important to the performance, noise and distortion, of the HDAM's. The SR8012 has a higher quality power supply for its HDAM's.

The HDAM circuitry itself is essentially the same between the two units although the circuit boards are different.

The preamp outputs (muting) in the SR8012 are all controlled by relays. This is the same as in the AV8805 and AV7704 and is the preferred method. The SR7012 has relays for the L and R outputs, but uses bi-polar transistor circuits for the remainder of the muting circuits. These bi-polar circuits work well and are more common than relays, but aren't the preferred method.

Power amplifiers:

As noted above the linear power supply for the amplifiers in the SR8012 is more robust than the power supply for the SR7012. The power amplifier circuits, and individual circuit boards for each channel of the SR8012, are shared with the Denon X6400H and X8500H, and are the best that Denon/Marantz offers. For some details; the differential amplifier input circuits in the SR8012 have a current mirror vs. resistors in the SR7012. This should significantly reduce distortion, especially as the load increases. The voltage gain stage in the SR8012 also more robust which should reduce distortion caused by loading from the output stage, again especially under heavier loads. The amplifier channels of the SR7012 share two circuit boards, five channels on one board and four on the other. The individual boards of the SR8012 should enable better cooling of the amplifier channels.

The individual amplifier boards of the SR8012 are cooled by four fans if loads become really heavy. The SR7012 has two fans. The heat sinks of the SR8012 are widely separated. This should provide better cooling than the SR7012 heat sinks that are very close together. Transformers become hotter under load, which in turn increases the resistance of their copper windings and reduces capacity. The toroidal unit of the SR8012 should be more efficient than the EI unit of the SR7012 and thus generate less heat. The SR8012 transformer also appears to be in a more open space that likely will provide for better cooling.

The SR8012 costs more than the SR7012. This added cost appears to at least part go to purchasing higher quality analog circuitry both in the preamp and power amplifier outputs.
TL5, BobDyl and reachkalyan.kr like this.
post #1033 of 1580 Old 09-30-2018, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguyca View Post
Subjective reviews, many of them by owners, are mainly what's available on these two units. The following provides selected information on the design of the two units. How and if the differences in the designs would translate into audible differences in an owner's system, or in comparing the units in a store or other location, is an open question.

Circuit Boards:

It appears there are no identical circuit boards between the two units. Just for information, the AV8012 does share several circuit boards with the Denon X8500H AVR.

Digital Circuits:

The digital circuits, audio and video, appear to be very similar between the units. On the digital audio side, the units share the same DAC; the 8-channel AKM AK4458.

Power supplies:

The units have similar switched-mode power supplies.

The linear power supplies are different. The SR8012 has a toroidal transformer and 44,000 uF of capacitance. The SR7012 has an EI frame transformer and 30,000 uF. The toroidal transformer likely has more capacity (VA rating) although this is a guess, along with a less intense external magnetic field, which should help reduce noise. The EI transformer will pass less noise to its load, than the toroidal unit since its windings are further apart. The greater capacitance in the SR8012 will help maintain output during transients and will reduce power supply ripple. The level of ripple is inversely proportional to capacitance. Overall the SR8012 appears to have a much more robust power supply.

Preamp outputs:

The units have the same volume control. All of the analog signals for the main zone pass through this volume control. Both units have HDAM output buffers. The SR8012 HDAM's get power from a transistor regulated power supply, similar to the one used in the AV8805, but using a lower voltage. The SR7012 HDAM's receive power from an IC voltage regulator that is shared with all of the opamps in the unit. The quality of the power supply is important to the performance, noise and distortion, of the HDAM's. The SR8012 has a higher quality power supply for its HDAM's.

The HDAM circuitry itself is essentially the same between the two units although the circuit boards are different.

The preamp outputs (muting) in the SR8012 are all controlled by relays. This is the same as in the AV8805 and AV7704 and is the preferred method. The SR7012 has relays for the L and R outputs, but uses bi-polar transistor circuits for the remainder of the muting circuits. These bi-polar circuits work well and are more common than relays, but aren't the preferred method.

Power amplifiers:

As noted above the linear power supply for the amplifiers in the SR8012 is more robust than the power supply for the SR7012. The power amplifier circuits, and individual circuit boards for each channel of the SR8012, are shared with the Denon X6400H and X8500H, and are the best that Denon/Marantz offers. For some details; the differential amplifier input circuits in the SR8012 have a current mirror vs. resistors in the SR7012. This should significantly reduce distortion, especially as the load increases. The voltage gain stage in the SR8012 also more robust which should reduce distortion caused by loading from the output stage, again especially under heavier loads. The amplifier channels of the SR7012 share two circuit boards, five channels on one board and four on the other. The individual boards of the SR8012 should enable better cooling of the amplifier channels.

The individual amplifier boards of the SR8012 are cooled by four fans if loads become really heavy. The SR7012 has two fans. The heat sinks of the SR8012 are widely separated. This should provide better cooling than the SR7012 heat sinks that are very close together. Transformers become hotter under load, which in turn increases the resistance of their copper windings and reduces capacity. The toroidal unit of the SR8012 should be more efficient than the EI unit of the SR7012 and thus generate less heat. The SR8012 transformer also appears to be in a more open space that likely will provide for better cooling.

The SR8012 costs more than the SR7012. This added cost appears to at least part go to purchasing higher quality analog circuitry both in the preamp and power amplifier outputs.
Thank you for such a comprehensive reply. I watched the Audioholics YouTube "update" on the 8012 and was surprised by the amount of voltage he was getting out of the analog outputs on the SR8012 so I figured there was some differences there but now I know why. I think for my needs this unit will be the best sub-$3000 receiver I can choose, I know there are a lot of options but I really have enjoyed my SR7012 so I think I can expect the same or better performance from the SR8012. It will be interesting to see whether I will notice any difference. Listening to the Oppo UDP-205 through the SR7012 is really, really nice. Analog out of the Oppo to an input on the 7012 and PureDirect is really awesome. Just need more time to spend with them.

Again thank you for such an excellent response, more information than I could have ever expected to have received.

How did you come by all of this information? It's almost like you are an electrical Engineer for D&M or something............

Thanks,

If it sounds and looks good, it sounds and looks good!!
post #1034 of 1580 Old 10-02-2018, 05:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I am shur you see the différence between 7012 and 8012 ,simple the 8012 is better for componant and for the music ,they model sr8012 is brut diamond.

marantz av 8805, 13 chanels, emotiva 2 xpa 5 gen1,1 emotiva xpa3 gen3, 7.4.6,4 speakers monitor 11 ,2 paradigm studio 100 v2,4 ceillings speakers ss82w sweet spot earthquake ,2 earthquake ecs-8.0,1 center Paradigm cc390,4 subs klipsch r-sw112 sw.antimod 8033 perfect bass kit paradigm, Buttkicker amplificateur lfe 1000 watts, , tv oled 65e6p,, room 12x25x7,bluray player oppo bdp 203,4coolers ac infinity s9 fan.
post #1035 of 1580 Old 10-02-2018, 06:45 AM

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I have this SR8012 since 2 months now and never heard my 7.1 setup so nicely as now. I had a Denon X4000 before and a Yamaha 3070 in between during 2 weeks, I just could not stand that Yamaha any longer, it had to go.
As per the 8012 I only ran its Audissey setup and even that I also bought the mobile MultEQ I have not yet felt the incentiv to use it, still must run it sometimes ....
post #1036 of 1580 Old 10-03-2018, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I have JBL Synthesis LS series 7.2 system with JTR 2400ULF. Currently JBLs are driven by Denon 7200WA. Planning to replace Denon 7200WA by Marantz SR8012. Does this make a significant difference in my system? Thank you in advance for your expert thoughts and suggestions.
post #1037 of 1580 Old 10-04-2018, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirosha View Post
I have JBL Synthesis LS series 7.2 system with JTR 2400ULF. Currently JBLs are driven by Denon 7200WA. Planning to replace Denon 7200WA by Marantz SR8012. Does this make a significant difference in my system? Thank you in advance for your expert thoughts and suggestions.
There will be differences, but only you can decide if they're significant. System interconnections probably will be the same, but the SR8012 doesn't support manually reassigning the amplifiers which the 7200 can. I don't think the Web interface is available yet. If you use the receiver to do any streaming, HEOS is quite different. The HDAM preamps might or might not produce audio improvements that're audible to you. The SR8012 also supports the use of the $20 MultEQ smartphone app which allows you to tailor the frequency response instead of the (no longer available) $700 Audyssey Pro software which is needed to do something similar with the 7200.
avman09 likes this.

Selden

post #1038 of 1580 Old 10-04-2018, 08:07 AM

Quote:
There will be differences, but only you can decide if they're significant. System interconnections probably will be the same, but the SR8012 doesn't support manually reassigning the amplifiers which the 7200 can. I don't think the Web interface is available yet. If you use the receiver to do any streaming, HEOS is quite different. The HDAM preamps might or might not produce audio improvements that're audible to you. The SR8012 also supports the use of the $20 MultEQ smartphone app which allows you to tailor the frequency response instead of the (no longer available) $700 Audyssey Pro software which is needed to do something similar with the 7200.
Thank you Selden. Mainly I consider the sound quality. I do not worry much about HEOS or MultEQ app. Is there a big different on the sound quality between these 2? Really appreciate if anybody can let me know if you have had or listened to both 7200WA and 8012.
BobDyl likes this.
post #1039 of 1580 Old 10-04-2018, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 1981 Post(s)
Liked: 2673
Quote:
Thank you Selden. Mainly I consider the sound quality. I do not worry much about HEOS or MultEQ app. Is there a big different on the sound quality between these 2? Really appreciate if anybody can let me know if you have had or listened to both 7200WA and 8012.

Sound "quality" is very subjective. Having heard both, there is a difference in sound "signature" if you will...most likely due to the HDAM's in the 8012. Whether you feel the 8012's sound signature is an upgrade/improvement is totally your call...no relationship to what others think. Having said this, most Marantz owners prefer the Marantz sound over Denon's...especially for music. Not knowing your location, is there access to a retailer/dealer with a flexible return policy so that you can hear and determine for yourself?
avman09 likes this.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
post #1040 of 1580 Old 10-04-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post
Sound "quality" is very subjective. Having heard both, there is a difference in sound "signature" if you will...most likely due to the HDAM's in the 8012. Whether you feel the 8012's sound signature is an upgrade/improvement is totally your call...no relationship to what others think. Having said this, most Marantz owners prefer the Marantz sound over Denon's...especially for music. Not knowing your location, is there access to a retailer/dealer with a flexible return policy so that you can hear and determine for yourself?
Thanks a lot, gene4ht. I completely agree with your point it totally makes sense. I will try to hear 8012 before making my decision.
post #1041 of 1580 Old 10-04-2018, 10:39 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 6523 Post(s)
Liked: 6499
Quote:
Thanks a lot, gene4ht. I completely agree with your point it totally makes sense. I will try to hear 8012 before making my decision.
Boy, that may be tough to do.......
post #1042 of 1580 Old 10-04-2018, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Boy, that may be tough to do.......

I'm sure you're aware that it's usually dealer and location dependent. Dealers who sell at MSRP have the flexibility and margin to accept returns and resell as "open box." Dealers who discount heavily...not so much.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
post #1043 of 1580 Old 10-05-2018, 07:09 AM

Quote:
I'm sure you're aware that it's usually dealer and location dependent. Dealers who sell at MSRP have the flexibility and margin to accept returns and resell as "open box." Dealers who discount heavily...not so much.
Everywhere I see the price for brand new is $2999.00. Did not see "heavily discounted" prices. I may not return as I need one but unfortunately I do not see these lower prices. Any tips?
post #1044 of 1580 Old 10-05-2018, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Everywhere I see the price for brand new is $2999.00. Did not see "heavily discounted" prices. I may not return as I need one but unfortunately I do not see these lower prices. Any tips?
Authorized resellers are not allowed to publicly advertise anything other than the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price. However, if you contact them directly, they can quote a much lower price. FWIW, although they're no longer directly associated with the AVS forum, AV Science is an authorized internet reseller which is very popular among AVS members. Quite a few of their sales reps, including jdsmoothie, post here regularly. Personally, I usually prefer to do business through a local brick-and-mortar store. Although they don't provide as large a discount, they do provide some services for no additional fee that internet resellers can't. (E.g. a loaner if a device has to be returned for maintenance.)

Selden

post #1045 of 1580 Old 10-05-2018, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

My comments are for retailers and dealers in the U.S. And in these cases, dealers are only authorized to "advertise" MSRP on their websites. You generally must call to obtain their best and more aggressive pricing. And as you did not disclose your location, I cannot comment for markets outside of the U.S.

post #1046 of 1580 Old 10-05-2018, 07:36 AM

Quote:
My comments are for retailers and dealers in the U.S. And in these cases, dealers are only authorized to "advertise" MSRP on their websites. You generally must call to obtain their best and more aggressive pricing. And as you did not disclose your location, I cannot comment for markets outside of the U.S.
Thanks a lot for all the information gene4ht. I'm living in New Jersey.
post #1047 of 1580 Old 10-05-2018, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Authorized resellers are not allowed to publicly advertise anything other than the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price. However, if you contact them directly, they can quote a much lower price. FWIW, although they're no longer directly associated with the AVS forum, AV Science is an authorized internet reseller which is very popular among AVS members. Quite a few of their sales reps, including jdsmoothie, post here regularly. Personally, I usually prefer to do business through a local brick-and-mortar store. Although they don't provide as large a discount, they do provide some services for no additional fee that internet resellers can't. (E.g. a loaner if a device has to be returned for maintenance.)
Thank you, Selden. I really appreciate the info. You guys are awesome.
post #1048 of 1580 Old 10-05-2018, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Thank you, Selden. I really appreciate the info. You guys are awesome.
You're very welcome.

Selden

post #1049 of 1580 Old 10-05-2018, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks a lot for all the information gene4ht. I'm living in New Jersey.

Great...PM sent.

post #1050 of 1580 Old 10-07-2018, 12:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Firmware SR8012 - Problem

This is my first post in this form, I am sure I will get a good help on this. Please bear with my layman explanation.

I am using Marantz SR8012 for the past 6 Months. when I bought this system I did a Firmware update everything went cool. Last week I again got a firmware notification and went for it, After the update, I noticed that there is a problem with Dolby (Maybe Dolby upmix) , When I play an audio FLAC or WAV formate I usually play in stereo and sometimes I listen on Dolby mode, but now when trying to change on Dolby I don't get a clear music instead I get some noise mixed music that I can't hear.

I want to know 2 things,

1. Is there a way to fix this Dolby upmix, has anyone experienced this before.

2. Is there a way to revert firmware back to old version, if there is a way to do this will this fix my problem.

Thanks in advance..!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page