"Official" 2017 Marantz SR8012 Owner's thread - Page 52 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1095Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1531 of 1618 Old 07-15-2019, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 83,711
Mentioned: 730 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22423 Post(s)
Liked: 12198
Quote:
Originally Posted by indebtbassfreak View Post
So i've had my 8012 for several months now and am loving it. I dont have Atmos speakers yet so i have it set up (- ) those speakers, nor am i using another zone anywhere or streaming through its options other than Google Play (phone).

Two minor glitches so far, i think the first issue "may" be a handshake issue but not sure. Once in a while i'll fire up a movie and notice the display on the 8012 is just showing DTS, not DTS HD MSTR/ neural-X or Dolby Atmos based on the movie's audio output selection. I confirm with my disc player that its sending Atmos or whatever format but the AVR still only outputs and displays DTS. Last time i just shut the 8012 off for ten seconds turned back on and that fixed it, so not sure of that glitch.

Second,,,,, at times if i'm watching a movie and i respond to a text on my phone, the 8012 kicks "out" of the Blu-Ray setting right into the Bluetooth setting I have to manually re-press the Blu-tooth button on my remote to continue the movie. Also when i want to pair up my phones (google play) to my JBL Boombox, the 8012 will actually turn itself on,,, i mean on from been powered off lol.

Otherwise so far everything else i couldn't be happier with for a living-room set up. Very happy with this purchase.
1. HDMI handshake issues can often be mitigated by powering on the devices in a specific order: TV, pause 5 seconds, AVR, pause 5 seconds, source.
2. You may have to simply unpair the phone from the SR8012. Consider using the HEOS app instead to stream audio from your phone.
indebtbassfreak likes this.
jdsmoothie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1532 of 1618 Old 07-15-2019, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
indebtbassfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Squamish BC
Posts: 2,593
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1411 Post(s)
Liked: 2706
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
1. HDMI handshake issues can often be mitigated by powering on the devices in a specific order: TV, pause 5 seconds, AVR, pause 5 seconds, source.
2. You may have to simply unpair the phone from the SR8012. Consider using the HEOS app instead to stream audio from your phone.
Thanks for your response jdsmoothie!! The powering on sequence you mentioned,,, "in that specific component order you listed" , or any order with five seconds between?

Can Google play still be used as the source of music with Heos App as thats where my playlist is, or is that a completely separate music source? Been in Canada i'm pretty happy with the sound quality and usability of the Google play music, but would be open to better quality streaming music sources if available through my phone.

Anyway thanks for your advice!! Much appreciated.

-Marantz SR-8012
-Yamaha BD-A1060
-Funk 21.0LX Master/Slave combo 4800 watts RMS/9600watts (peak)-
-Chane A-2.4 L/C/R
-Chane A-1.4 side/rear surrounds.
indebtbassfreak is offline  
post #1533 of 1618 Old 07-15-2019, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 83,711
Mentioned: 730 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22423 Post(s)
Liked: 12198
Quote:
Originally Posted by indebtbassfreak View Post
Thanks for your response jdsmoothie!! The powering on sequence you mentioned,,, "in that specific component order you listed" , or any order with five seconds between?

Can Google play still be used as the source of music with Heos App as thats where my playlist is, or is that a completely separate music source? Been in Canada i'm pretty happy with the sound quality and usability of the Google play music, but would be open to better quality streaming music sources if available through my phone.

Anyway thanks for your advice!! Much appreciated.
1. In that specific order.
2. Google Play is not one of the dozen or so music streaming services offered in the HEOS (iOS/Android) app. Note; however, that starting either a HEOS or Bluetooth stream can turn on the AVR from Standby when the <Network Control> setting is set to "Always On" (factory default setting).
indebtbassfreak likes this.
jdsmoothie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1534 of 1618 Old 07-15-2019, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
indebtbassfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Squamish BC
Posts: 2,593
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1411 Post(s)
Liked: 2706
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
1. In that specific order.
2. Google Play is not one of the dozen or so music streaming services offered in the HEOS (iOS/Android) app. Note; however, that starting either a HEOS or Bluetooth stream can turn on the AVR from Standby when the <Network Control> setting is set to "Always On" (factory default setting).
Great info and advice,,, thanks so much!!!

-Marantz SR-8012
-Yamaha BD-A1060
-Funk 21.0LX Master/Slave combo 4800 watts RMS/9600watts (peak)-
-Chane A-2.4 L/C/R
-Chane A-1.4 side/rear surrounds.
indebtbassfreak is offline  
post #1535 of 1618 Old 07-20-2019, 07:02 AM
Newbie
 
uberjase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: U.K.
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi folks,

I swapped my KEF R50 Atmos modules for the SVS Prime Elevation speakers. I have them mounted at the top of my front and back walls with the tweeters at the bottom. I set them as top front and top rear in the SR8012's speaker config and re-ran Audyessy. Atmos and DTS:X work and sound fantasic but there is no Auro 3D option, just Auro 2D. My other speakers are 7.1 so I have 7.1.4. Did I do something wrong or is Auro 3D not compatible with this speaker setup?

Thanks

Marantz SR8012, Samsung q9fn 55"
Monitor Audio RX6 + silver center + 4xsilver 1 + 4x Kef R50
Panasonic UB900
uberjase is offline  
post #1536 of 1618 Old 07-20-2019, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 83,711
Mentioned: 730 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22423 Post(s)
Liked: 12198
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberjase View Post
Hi folks,

I swapped my KEF R50 Atmos modules for the SVS Prime Elevation speakers. I have them mounted at the top of my front and back walls with the tweeters at the bottom. I set them as top front and top rear in the SR8012's speaker config and re-ran Audyessy. Atmos and DTS:X work and sound fantasic but there is no Auro 3D option, just Auro 2D. My other speakers are 7.1 so I have 7.1.4. Did I do something wrong or is Auro 3D not compatible with this speaker setup?

Thanks
The bolded. The only speaker config that supports all three 3D audio codecs is "Front Height + Rear Height" (which is actually what they are more ideally labeled as for Atmos and DTS:X anyway considering they're not mounted on the ceiling).

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 07-20-2019 at 11:47 AM.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #1537 of 1618 Old 07-20-2019, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pappaduke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Philly area
Posts: 1,405
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
The bolded. The only speaker config that supports all three 3D audio codecs is "Front Height + Rear Height" (which is actually what they are more ideally labeled as for Atmos and DTS:X anyway considering they're not mounted on the ceiling).
jdsmoothie does that same config apply if my speakers (also Prime Elevations) are mounted high at the sides pointed towards the center of the room. I think they sound fantastic but am wondering if I should be doing something different based on your quote? They are set as top front and top rear.

Man cave-Marantz 8012, Oppo 203, 4K ATV, Sony XBR-75X940E, Bluesound Vault 2, Harmony One, 2 Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-390, 2ADP 390's/190's, 2 PDR 100's,
4 SVS Prime elevations. B&W P5. Living room- Yamaha 2010, Bluesound Node 2, Paradigm SE-1's, Zone 2-Paradigm-Stylus 370-SM
Bedroom- Samsung UN60ES7100F, Oppo 103D, Pulse Mini, JBL Bar Studio, ATV3 and Harmony 650
pappaduke is offline  
post #1538 of 1618 Old 07-21-2019, 01:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 83,711
Mentioned: 730 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22423 Post(s)
Liked: 12198
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaduke View Post
jdsmoothie does that same config apply if my speakers (also Prime Elevations) are mounted high at the sides pointed towards the center of the room. I think they sound fantastic but am wondering if I should be doing something different based on your quote? They are set as top front and top rear.
Which setting you use is a personal choice, unless of course you want to use Auro 3D and then it can only be "Height". Additionally, "Top" generally favors Atmos/Dolby Surround while "Height" generally favors DTS:X/DTS Neural:X. I use the latter as I prefer to use DTS Neural:X for all DD/DTS audio I simulate to the in-ceiling speakers.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #1539 of 1618 Old 07-21-2019, 02:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pappaduke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Philly area
Posts: 1,405
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Which setting you use is a personal choice, unless of course you want to use Auro 3D and then it can only be "Height". Additionally, "Top" generally favors Atmos/Dolby Surround while "Height" generally favors DTS:X/DTS Neural:X. I use the latter as I prefer to use DTS Neural:X for all DD/DTS audio I simulate to the in-ceiling speakers.
Thanks for the response. I don't have a need for Auro 3D so I'll stick with my top config for now. Although I have noticed for movies that are not Atmos, DTS Neural:X sounds as good as Atmos if not better with my setup. If I decide to try the Height config do I need to run Audyssey again since I won't be physically moving my speakers? Gonna take someones suggestion and re-visit my manual. I think that was a suggestion either on this forum or YouTube that can help improve anyone's setup. Who would ever think reading the manual could actually help
Thanks again.

Man cave-Marantz 8012, Oppo 203, 4K ATV, Sony XBR-75X940E, Bluesound Vault 2, Harmony One, 2 Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-390, 2ADP 390's/190's, 2 PDR 100's,
4 SVS Prime elevations. B&W P5. Living room- Yamaha 2010, Bluesound Node 2, Paradigm SE-1's, Zone 2-Paradigm-Stylus 370-SM
Bedroom- Samsung UN60ES7100F, Oppo 103D, Pulse Mini, JBL Bar Studio, ATV3 and Harmony 650
pappaduke is offline  
post #1540 of 1618 Old 07-21-2019, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 83,711
Mentioned: 730 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22423 Post(s)
Liked: 12198
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaduke View Post
Thanks for the response. I don't have a need for Auro 3D so I'll stick with my top config for now. Although I have noticed for movies that are not Atmos, DTS Neural:X sounds as good as Atmos if not better with my setup. If I decide to try the Height config do I need to run Audyssey again since I won't be physically moving my speakers? Gonna take someones suggestion and re-visit my manual. I think that was a suggestion either on this forum or YouTube that can help improve anyone's setup. Who would ever think reading the manual could actually help
Thanks again.
1. Yes as the AVR can only store one EQ at a time. Your options are to either SAVE a config file for each speaker configuration to a separate USB thumb drive (which takes about 1 minute to LOAD back) or if you purchase the Audyssey MultEQ Editor app (iOS, Android, $20), the EQ for each configuration is stored on your phone/tablet that runs the EQ and then it takes about the same 1 minute to LOAD to the AVR when you want to use it (in addition to the many other tweaking benefits of the app).
2. Reviewing the manual in this instance would not likely be as beneficial as reviewing the Audyssey FAQ --> https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...d-part-ii.html
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #1541 of 1618 Old 07-21-2019, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pappaduke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Philly area
Posts: 1,405
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
1. Yes as the AVR can only store one EQ at a time. Your options are to either SAVE a config file for each speaker configuration to a separate USB thumb drive (which takes about 1 minute to LOAD back) or if you purchase the Audyssey MultEQ Editor app (iOS, Android, $20), the EQ for each configuration is stored on your phone/tablet that runs the EQ and then it takes about the same 1 minute to LOAD to the AVR when you want to use it (in addition to the many other tweaking benefits of the app).
2. Reviewing the manual in this instance would not likely be as beneficial as reviewing the Audyssey FAQ --> https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...d-part-ii.html
Thanks. I already have the Audyssey MultEQ Editor app. I'll review the Audyssey FAQ as well.

Man cave-Marantz 8012, Oppo 203, 4K ATV, Sony XBR-75X940E, Bluesound Vault 2, Harmony One, 2 Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-390, 2ADP 390's/190's, 2 PDR 100's,
4 SVS Prime elevations. B&W P5. Living room- Yamaha 2010, Bluesound Node 2, Paradigm SE-1's, Zone 2-Paradigm-Stylus 370-SM
Bedroom- Samsung UN60ES7100F, Oppo 103D, Pulse Mini, JBL Bar Studio, ATV3 and Harmony 650
pappaduke is offline  
post #1542 of 1618 Old 07-22-2019, 07:49 AM
Newbie
 
uberjase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: U.K.
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks JD :)

I set the SVS to front and rear heights and re-run Audyessy. It set my crossovers to 60hz which I changed to 80hz, apart from the rear heights that for some reason were set to 90hz which I have left them at for now. Would also setting them to 80hz also cause any issues with Audyessy and Dynanic EQ?

Thanks

Marantz SR8012, Samsung q9fn 55"
Monitor Audio RX6 + silver center + 4xsilver 1 + 4x Kef R50
Panasonic UB900
uberjase is offline  
post #1543 of 1618 Old 07-22-2019, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 83,711
Mentioned: 730 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22423 Post(s)
Liked: 12198
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberjase View Post
I set the SVS to front and rear heights and re-run Audyessy. It set my crossovers to 60hz which I changed to 80hz, apart from the rear heights that for some reason were set to 90hz which I have left them at for now. Would also setting them to 80hz also cause any issues with Audyessy and Dynanic EQ?

Thanks
If you lower a speaker crossover set after running Audyssey, you introduce frequencies that have not been EQ'd which is why it's not recommended.

Also, for a better understanding of Audyssey, best if you review the forum FAQ --> https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...d-part-ii.html
indebtbassfreak likes this.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #1544 of 1618 Old 07-22-2019, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
indebtbassfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Squamish BC
Posts: 2,593
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1411 Post(s)
Liked: 2706
^^

My understanding with audyssey is once X-overs have been set it is ok to go "up" on manual settings (EX: audyssey sets 40Hz, bump to 80 Hz) but not a great idea to manually set them lower (100Hz to 80Hz) as the initial filters can cause "some" information to be lost in playback. This is what i have read on many posts from audyssey thread and general conversations posted.

To slow to type lol^.

-Marantz SR-8012
-Yamaha BD-A1060
-Funk 21.0LX Master/Slave combo 4800 watts RMS/9600watts (peak)-
-Chane A-2.4 L/C/R
-Chane A-1.4 side/rear surrounds.
indebtbassfreak is offline  
post #1545 of 1618 Old 07-22-2019, 02:16 PM
Member
 
Jon AA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: WA State
Posts: 170
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Buried somewhere in one of those threads is a statement from a guy who works at Audyssey (wish I could find it now) stating that info is incorrect. I have verified on my own system that it is incorrect. Audyssey corrects all the speakers full range, to the extent of their capability. The crossover filters are applied on top of that full range correction. This is easily verifiable for anybody with the app--if your receiver sets the crossover to 60 or 80 hz, for example, you can make changes to the curve that will affect the output of the speaker far below that frequency--especially with sealed speakers that have a gradual rolloff.



Of course lowering the crossover setting from what the receiver sets after running Audyssey is usually a bad idea for other reasons, unless you know what you're doing and are doing it for specific reasons, but worrying about the sound being uncorrected below that range is not one of them.
Jon AA is online now  
post #1546 of 1618 Old 07-22-2019, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
indebtbassfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Squamish BC
Posts: 2,593
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1411 Post(s)
Liked: 2706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon AA View Post
Buried somewhere in one of those threads is a statement from a guy who works at Audyssey (wish I could find it now) stating that info is incorrect. I have verified on my own system that it is incorrect. Audyssey corrects all the speakers full range, to the extent of their capability. The crossover filters are applied on top of that full range correction. This is easily verifiable for anybody with the app--if your receiver sets the crossover to 60 or 80 hz, for example, you can make changes to the curve that will affect the output of the speaker far below that frequency--especially with sealed speakers that have a gradual rolloff.



Of course lowering the crossover setting from what the receiver sets after running Audyssey is usually a bad idea for other reasons, unless you know what you're doing and are doing it for specific reasons, but worrying about the sound being uncorrected below that range is not one of them.
That would be an interesting read if you could find it. That would be the first i've read that contradicts a lot of information so far for me. That been said usually audyssey sets the front sound-stage to low for those of use using subs so a none issue as we usually raise the X-overs, while the side/rears/atmos speakers are usually set higher do to their smaller size and less boundary gain thus not really needing to be lowed.

-Marantz SR-8012
-Yamaha BD-A1060
-Funk 21.0LX Master/Slave combo 4800 watts RMS/9600watts (peak)-
-Chane A-2.4 L/C/R
-Chane A-1.4 side/rear surrounds.
indebtbassfreak is offline  
post #1547 of 1618 Old 07-22-2019, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 83,711
Mentioned: 730 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22423 Post(s)
Liked: 12198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon AA View Post
Buried somewhere in one of those threads is a statement from a guy who works at Audyssey (wish I could find it now) stating that info is incorrect. I have verified on my own system that it is incorrect. Audyssey corrects all the speakers full range, to the extent of their capability. The crossover filters are applied on top of that full range correction. This is easily verifiable for anybody with the app--if your receiver sets the crossover to 60 or 80 hz, for example, you can make changes to the curve that will affect the output of the speaker far below that frequency--especially with sealed speakers that have a gradual rolloff.



Of course lowering the crossover setting from what the receiver sets after running Audyssey is usually a bad idea for other reasons, unless you know what you're doing and are doing it for specific reasons, but worrying about the sound being uncorrected below that range is not one of them.
Audyssey Labs
March 20, 2011 13:33
The whole point of measuring the speakers in your room is to see where they roll off. Placement changes the theoretical "full range" spec that doesn't know about your room. You can move the crossover lower, but Audyssey won't be applying any correction below the point it found as the roll off.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #1548 of 1618 Old 07-22-2019, 04:58 PM
Member
 
Jon AA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: WA State
Posts: 170
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Yes, that seems like an over-simplified answer. There is a point at which Audyssey will no longer do anything to the response (it won't boost the heck out of a speaker after it has rolled off significantly and risk damage), but that isn't necessarily the exact same point at which your receiver sets the crossover. Anybody with the app can easily test this.


Here are a few actual measurements I pulled up comparing the standard Reverence curve to a custom curve. Two different types of speaker--one sealed, one ported--the receiver always sets these to "Small" with a crossover of either 60 or 80 hz, depending upon mic locations when the calibration was run:
















As you can see, in each case the Audyssey is clearly affecting the response down to ~45 hz or so, despite the receiver setting the crossover much higher.


Anyway, as I said, it should be a pretty moot point for most people as they generally wouldn't want to lower the crossover point, but there are some specific reasons some may want to do so and if they do, it does work just fine. Also anybody wanting to listen to music with their mains set to "Large" shouldn't need freak out that they may be getting "uncorrected sound" below 80 hz or whatever.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FR4.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	296.9 KB
ID:	2593568   Click image for larger version

Name:	FR1.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	310.3 KB
ID:	2593570   Click image for larger version

Name:	FR2.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	321.3 KB
ID:	2593572   Click image for larger version

Name:	FR3.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	303.0 KB
ID:	2593574  
Jon AA is online now  
post #1549 of 1618 Old 07-27-2019, 04:27 PM
Member
 
tswon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I have a situation that just started this past Thursday while watching Amazon Prime. I watch it using my Sony's Amazon Prime Application and after watching something for awhile, my AVR would shutdown with a blinking red light and a message about an HDCP problem would appear on my display. This only happens with Amazon Prime. I have no issues watching Amazon Prime if I don't use my AVR to power the external speakers. Any ideas? Thanks.

Sony XBR-75Z9F | Marantz SR8012 | Parasound Halo A 52+ | Panasonic DP-UB820K
7.2.4 | Fronts: Bowers & Wilkins S702 S2s | Center: Bowers & Wilkins HTM71 S2 | Surrounds: Bowers & Wilkins S706 S2s | Back Surrounds: Mission 761is | Atmos: Bowers & Wilkins CCM664 x 4 | Subwoofers: Rythmik FV25HP x 2
tswon is offline  
post #1550 of 1618 Old 07-27-2019, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 83,711
Mentioned: 730 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22423 Post(s)
Liked: 12198
Quote:
Originally Posted by tswon View Post
I have a situation that just started this past Thursday while watching Amazon Prime. I watch it using my Sony's Amazon Prime Application and after watching something for awhile, my AVR would shutdown with a blinking red light and a message about an HDCP problem would appear on my display. This only happens with Amazon Prime. I have no issues watching Amazon Prime if I don't use my AVR to power the external speakers. Any ideas? Thanks.
1. Makes sense as there's nothing going to the AVR.
2. Try doing a "soft reset" by powering off the TV and AVR and unplugging their respective power cables and the HDMI cable connecting them for 10 minutes.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #1551 of 1618 Old 07-28-2019, 10:33 PM
Senior Member
 
RC1991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Seattle Area (Eastside)
Posts: 333
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I am getting quite frustrated with this receiver as the issue I posted regarding the sound cutting out keeps happening intermittently. Marantz support has so far been no help. Was watching a movie this evening, heard a slight pop and the sound cut out...picture remained and receiver didn’t shut off. Checked and no sound from any source or input but video did pass through. Added an air com fan thinking heat may have been an issue but temp has not gone higher than 84. I’m hoping I will be able to send it in to get repaired but thinking of going in a different direction at this point.
72.greyscale likes this.

KEF R900, R600C, Q500, Q100; Oppo BDP-95; Marantz SR8012; Sony UDP-X800; Technics SL-5; NAD Phono Preamp; Apple TV 4th Gen (Also....Parasound Halo A23; NAD T777v2)
RC1991 is offline  
post #1552 of 1618 Old 07-29-2019, 01:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gene4ht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Troy, MI
Posts: 3,974
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1983 Post(s)
Liked: 2676
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC1991 View Post
I am getting quite frustrated with this receiver as the issue I posted regarding the sound cutting out keeps happening intermittently. Marantz support has so far been no help. Was watching a movie this evening, heard a slight pop and the sound cut out...picture remained and receiver didn’t shut off. Checked and no sound from any source or input but video did pass through. Added an air com fan thinking heat may have been an issue but temp has not gone higher than 84. I’m hoping I will be able to send it in to get repaired but thinking of going in a different direction at this point.
An authorized repair center should be able to diagnose and correct the issue...hopefully your unit is still under warranty.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
gene4ht is offline  
post #1553 of 1618 Old 07-29-2019, 10:54 AM
Member
 
MMoser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC1991 View Post
I am getting quite frustrated with this receiver as the issue I posted regarding the sound cutting out keeps happening intermittently. Marantz support has so far been no help. Was watching a movie this evening, heard a slight pop and the sound cut out...picture remained and receiver didn’t shut off. Checked and no sound from any source or input but video did pass through. Added an air com fan thinking heat may have been an issue but temp has not gone higher than 84. I’m hoping I will be able to send it in to get repaired but thinking of going in a different direction at this point.
I don't know if this is the same as you but I had something similar happen on a different receiver, ended up being a bad speaker cable that was causing a short. Reran the cable and problem was fixed.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
MMoser is offline  
post #1554 of 1618 Old 07-29-2019, 08:28 PM
Senior Member
 
RC1991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Seattle Area (Eastside)
Posts: 333
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post
An authorized repair center should be able to diagnose and correct the issue...hopefully your unit is still under warranty.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MMoser View Post
I don't know if this is the same as you but I had something similar happen on a different receiver, ended up being a bad speaker cable that was causing a short. Reran the cable and problem was fixed.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thanks both! It is still under warranty and I called the customer support line again. This time they had me do a factory reset. Did that when I got home and started the speaker set-up over and there was no sound. So it will definitely have to go in. Hopefully they can diagnose as the problem was previously intermittent. I did check all of my speaker wires and connections to make sure no shorts. I connected my older NAD T777 and that works fine so definitely think it's a receiver problem. I just don't relish packing it up and sending in as I think the only authorized repair center in WA state is in Spokane (6 hours away).
gene4ht likes this.

KEF R900, R600C, Q500, Q100; Oppo BDP-95; Marantz SR8012; Sony UDP-X800; Technics SL-5; NAD Phono Preamp; Apple TV 4th Gen (Also....Parasound Halo A23; NAD T777v2)
RC1991 is offline  
post #1555 of 1618 Old 07-30-2019, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 83,711
Mentioned: 730 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22423 Post(s)
Liked: 12198
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC1991 View Post
Thanks both! It is still under warranty and I called the customer support line again. This time they had me do a factory reset. Did that when I got home and started the speaker set-up over and there was no sound. So it will definitely have to go in. Hopefully they can diagnose as the problem was previously intermittent. I did check all of my speaker wires and connections to make sure no shorts. I connected my older NAD T777 and that works fine so definitely think it's a receiver problem. I just don't relish packing it up and sending in as I think the only authorized repair center in WA state is in Spokane (6 hours away).
Try doing a few (3-4) microprocessor resets in a row before sending it off to a repair facility. Give the one in state repair facility a call first to find out their turn around time as in some cases it can be many weeks which in that case you may be better served sending it to the factory repair facility United Radio, Syracuse, NY. Although this will result in a larger shipping cost, the turn around time can be as little as 2 weeks including shipping ground both ways.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #1556 of 1618 Old 07-31-2019, 06:15 AM
Senior Member
 
RC1991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Seattle Area (Eastside)
Posts: 333
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Try doing a few (3-4) microprocessor resets in a row before sending it off to a repair facility. Give the one in state repair facility a call first to find out their turn around time as in some cases it can be many weeks which in that case you may be better served sending it to the factory repair facility United Radio, Syracuse, NY. Although this will result in a larger shipping cost, the turn around time can be as little as 2 weeks including shipping ground both ways.
Thanks! No luck with those resets either. Unfortunately the one in-state place is a dealer that only services what they sell. Marantz support sent me a couple of service centers as well so will find other best turnaround time and get it out.

KEF R900, R600C, Q500, Q100; Oppo BDP-95; Marantz SR8012; Sony UDP-X800; Technics SL-5; NAD Phono Preamp; Apple TV 4th Gen (Also....Parasound Halo A23; NAD T777v2)
RC1991 is offline  
post #1557 of 1618 Old 08-02-2019, 02:27 PM
Senior Member
 
rc-zombies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NAPA, CA
Posts: 342
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Has anyone see or have this IMAX Enhanced Demo disc? Where can we get one free?






Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rc-zombies is offline  
post #1558 of 1618 Old 08-04-2019, 07:02 AM
Senior Member
 
RC1991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Seattle Area (Eastside)
Posts: 333
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC1991 View Post
Thanks! No luck with those resets either. Unfortunately the one in-state place is a dealer that only services what they sell. Marantz support sent me a couple of service centers as well so will find other best turnaround time and get it out.
UPDATE: So I swapped out theMarantz for my older NAD T777 while the 8012 is out for “repair”. I am using quotes because I think the receiver is likely fine since the same situation just happened with the NAD. Sound cut out, receiver stayed on and passed video. I am going to swap out all of the speaker cables and then also perhaps all of the HDMI cables as well. Really hoping that it isn’t one of the main speakers itself.

KEF R900, R600C, Q500, Q100; Oppo BDP-95; Marantz SR8012; Sony UDP-X800; Technics SL-5; NAD Phono Preamp; Apple TV 4th Gen (Also....Parasound Halo A23; NAD T777v2)
RC1991 is offline  
post #1559 of 1618 Old 08-18-2019, 01:56 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: UK
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Hi,

Is anybody using the SR8012 with the Q Acoustics 3050i Cinema Pack 5.1 speakers (all 6 Ohm speakers)?

If so how is it sounding?

Thanks.
TeaDrinker67 is offline  
post #1560 of 1618 Old 08-19-2019, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 83,711
Mentioned: 730 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22423 Post(s)
Liked: 12198
The Spotify Connect app can now stream Spotify with either a "FREE" or "PREMIUM" account.

https://www.spotify.com/us/connect/
pappaduke likes this.
jdsmoothie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
repairs , sr8012

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off