"Official" 2017 Marantz SR8012 Owner's thread - Page 63 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1145Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1861 of 1983 Old 03-17-2020, 02:15 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 14,848
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4823 Post(s)
Liked: 2874
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
The page you linked to lists those models that were available when the "Audyssey MultEQ Editor" app was released. It also indicates that it will work on selected future models as well which includes the SR8012.
As you say. Thanks for the clarification!

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Selden Ball is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1862 of 1983 Old 03-17-2020, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 26,374
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7615 Post(s)
Liked: 7681
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari fan View Post
But I thought that this was interesting. Hopefully the price will drop fairly soon, and at a decent drop at that to make it more affordable to someone like me
Receiver rarely drop in price. A few sales here and there but very rare.
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #1863 of 1983 Old 03-17-2020, 10:25 AM
Senior Member
 
ferrari fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Diego, CA.
Posts: 442
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Receiver rarely drop in price. A few sales here and there but very rare.
I agree as I was searching many places online that are authorized Marantz dealers. And I went in person to Best Buys Magnolia as well as two local high end dealers in my area, and all were selling the Marantz SR8012 for the msrp of $2999.00. My original posting was because on Amazons website it says that the 8012 was being discontinued by the manufacturer. And as JR posted in the past week or two, the newer models will be released later this year. Hence the hopeful drop on the 8012 in the near future to clear out stock to make room for the newer models.

gene4ht sent me a pm with two company names to check out. I double checked the Marantz website to make sure they are both were authorized dealers and they are. I called them both and received terrific quotes from them. Their prices were less than $100.00 apart from each other. And I bought a brand new, factory sealed 8012 from one of them. Got it yesterday, and opened the box last night...perfect. I can't hook it up until this weekend though The savings from msrp, were enough to get new four new speakers for the Atmos set up

gene4ht...even though I sent you a pm last week, I'd like to thank you again for your recommendations.
pappaduke likes this.

Last edited by ferrari fan; 03-17-2020 at 10:38 AM.
ferrari fan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1864 of 1983 Old 03-17-2020, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 87,446
Mentioned: 849 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24545 Post(s)
Liked: 13783
SiriusXM upgrade on March 31, 2020

The HEOS update that was released last week included an update to allow for SiriusXM streaming enhancements that go into effect March 31, 2020.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #1865 of 1983 Old 03-17-2020, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 87,446
Mentioned: 849 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24545 Post(s)
Liked: 13783
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLMN View Post
….that is when i bought mine.
As a reminder … no price talk in other than the "Deals" sticky thread.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...ls-sticky.html
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #1866 of 1983 Old 03-17-2020, 01:12 PM
Member
 
BLMN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Southern NH
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
As a reminder … no price talk in other than the "Deals" sticky thread.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...ls-sticky.html
i deleted my own post, just an fyi i wasn't the only talking about $$ here too. the lack of [no price talk] tag on the threads title also don't help.

thanks.

Last edited by BLMN; 03-17-2020 at 01:16 PM.
BLMN is offline  
post #1867 of 1983 Old 03-17-2020, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 87,446
Mentioned: 849 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24545 Post(s)
Liked: 13783
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLMN View Post
i deleted my own post, just an fyi i wasn't the only talking about $$ here too. the lack of [no price talk] tag on the threads title also don't help.

thanks.
My post was directed to anyone reading the thread not just you. Also there's no reason to add it to the thread title when it is forum policy.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #1868 of 1983 Old 03-23-2020, 02:22 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Marantz and Roon

Just saw this today on the Roon Site. It is also on the Marantz site and is advertised for the SR8012.

Denon and Marantz Owners Will Enjoy the Benefits of Roon’s Graphically Rich Subscription-Based Music Management Capabilities When Connected to Certified Devices

Vista, Calif. (March 23rd, 2020) — Sound United LLC, parent company to Denon, Polk Audio, Marantz, Definitive Technology, Classé, and Boston Acoustics, today announced several Denon and Marantz products received Roon Tested accreditation. This certification enables music lovers to seamlessly stream music from Roon server or Roon Core devices to 68 Denon and Marantz products for a visually rich, and easy-to-use listening experience.
cwglideman, Audio A and Tsender like this.
Dmk300 is offline  
post #1869 of 1983 Old 03-23-2020, 03:44 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmk300 View Post
Just saw this today on the Roon Site. It is also on the Marantz site and is advertised for the SR8012.



Denon and Marantz Owners Will Enjoy the Benefits of Roon’s Graphically Rich Subscription-Based Music Management Capabilities When Connected to Certified Devices



Vista, Calif. (March 23rd, 2020) — Sound United LLC, parent company to Denon, Polk Audio, Marantz, Definitive Technology, Classé, and Boston Acoustics, today announced several Denon and Marantz products received Roon Tested accreditation. This certification enables music lovers to seamlessly stream music from Roon server or Roon Core devices to 68 Denon and Marantz products for a visually rich, and easy-to-use listening experience.


Well I must say the SR8012
Just keeps on giving!
That’s great to hear!
Do we know where we can find more info.. set up instruction.. quick start guide or any other info?
Thanks for passing that along

Regards


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cwglideman likes this.
Audio A is offline  
post #1870 of 1983 Old 03-23-2020, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 87,446
Mentioned: 849 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24545 Post(s)
Liked: 13783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio A View Post
Well I must say the SR8012
Just keeps on giving!
That’s great to hear!
Do we know where we can find more info.. set up instruction.. quick start guide or any other info?
Thanks for passing that along

Regards


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Applies to all HEOS models dating back to 2016.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...-products.html
cwglideman likes this.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #1871 of 1983 Old 03-23-2020, 08:03 PM
Senior Member
 
cwglideman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 248
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmk300 View Post
I’m considering the SR8012 and I’m under the impression that it is Roon Ready. If so, does anyone have experience using it with Roon? Does Roon recognize it as an endpoint? Would I be able to stream 192/24 tracks? Thanks for any input!
Just wanted to amend my previous comment from a week or 2 ago.

Apparently Marantz/Denon (HEOS) receivers are now Roon Ready. That was news to me. Maybe I need to spend more time in the Roon forums to keep up with the new goings on...lol.

Playing Roon now on my 8012 through HEOS and controlling the Roon player with my iPhone. It sounds great. Nice integration from the Roon app.

Sorry for misinformation previously.

Den: Sony XBR75x950g, Marantz sr8012, ATV4k, Sony X800M2/Oppo bdp105, Emotiva XPR-5/UPA-2, NHT ClassicThree+C3C/iC4x4, SVS SB-16Ultra/Hsu VTF-15,7.2.4
Bedroom: Samsung 64f8500, Denon 4311, ATVHD, Oppo bdp93, NHT Absolute Towers x2, Classic2Center, Classic2 Surround, M&K sub 5.1
Headbanging: MacMini/Roon/Tidal, Oppo HA-1, ProJect PreBox s2, Oppo PM-1, Senheisser 6xx
cwglideman is offline  
post #1872 of 1983 Old 03-24-2020, 03:28 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwglideman View Post
Just wanted to amend my previous comment from a week or 2 ago.

Apparently Marantz/Denon (HEOS) receivers are now Roon Ready. That was news to me. Maybe I need to spend more time in the Roon forums to keep up with the new goings on...lol.

Playing Roon now on my 8012 through HEOS and controlling the Roon player with my iPhone. It sounds great. Nice integration from the Roon app.

Sorry for misinformation previously.
No problem. Do you know the highest resolution that can be played via this setup?
Dmk300 is offline  
post #1873 of 1983 Old 03-24-2020, 06:42 PM
Senior Member
 
cwglideman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 248
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmk300 View Post
No problem. Do you know the highest resolution that can be played via this setup?
After further investigation I realized that all Roon is doing is Airplaying streams to the Marantz. Hi Res streams, sample rate and bit depth are still capped at 44.1/16 bit.

I was disappointed to learn this but The sound coming out of my speakers is still pretty damn good.

I attached a screenshot from my iPad playing a track from tidal. It’s a Master Track (MQA) @ 24bit/ 192kHz but down rez’d to 16bit/44.1kHz.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EEDB8D6A-404F-4664-90CB-F2128996251A.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	2701438  

Den: Sony XBR75x950g, Marantz sr8012, ATV4k, Sony X800M2/Oppo bdp105, Emotiva XPR-5/UPA-2, NHT ClassicThree+C3C/iC4x4, SVS SB-16Ultra/Hsu VTF-15,7.2.4
Bedroom: Samsung 64f8500, Denon 4311, ATVHD, Oppo bdp93, NHT Absolute Towers x2, Classic2Center, Classic2 Surround, M&K sub 5.1
Headbanging: MacMini/Roon/Tidal, Oppo HA-1, ProJect PreBox s2, Oppo PM-1, Senheisser 6xx

Last edited by cwglideman; 03-24-2020 at 06:46 PM.
cwglideman is offline  
post #1874 of 1983 Old 03-25-2020, 12:04 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwglideman View Post
After further investigation I realized that all Roon is doing is Airplaying streams to the Marantz. Hi Res streams, sample rate and bit depth are still capped at 44.1/16 bit.

I was disappointed to learn this but The sound coming out of my speakers is still pretty damn good.

I attached a screenshot from my iPad playing a track from tidal. It’s a Master Track (MQA) @ 24bit/ 192kHz but down rez’d to 16bit/44.1kHz.
Very disappointing and misleading indeed! I can get that quality from my Sonos unit. I was hoping for some real hires.
Dmk300 is offline  
post #1875 of 1983 Old 03-25-2020, 05:10 PM
Newbie
 
Deckard.242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Czech Rep.
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hey guys, I am now new happy owner of SR8012 (upgraded from SR7009 so it was a big step up for me). I hooked up the new gear last weekend and started getting some first experience with it. There are two things I would like to ask about.

1) Movie audio modes:

My speaker setup is Atmos 7.4.2 with surround back, top middle and front heights. What is the best audio mode for movies with native 5.1 or 7.1 sound (DTS, DD or lossless codecs) for my configuration in order to get the most from the height/ceiling speakers? I suppose I should always use the mode featuring Neural:X, right? I am asking because it seems I get all my 11 speakers active even when I select "source + Dolby Surround" mode and even when I select the original source mode (e.g. DTS-HD MSTR). This is very strange btw as it does that for all DTS 5.1 and 7.1 but not for DD or TrueHD tracks (in that case I get only the respective 5 or 7 speakers active)... I suppose the on-screen information provided by the receiver is misleading in that regard as I do not understand why should I get sound from other speakers than 5.1 or 7.1 with that mode... But back to my question - Is the Neural:X mode the best I should use for audio soundtracks except those mixed in Dolby Atmos and DTS:X?

2) Dolby Vision movies:

What an unpleasant surprise to see that the overlay of OSD information does not work with DV (adjusting volume does not appear on the screen at all, Info displays over black screen, Options displays over Marantz splash screen). Is there any workaround to get the OSD info working with DV? I did find some threads on this issue here but no definitive answer...

Thanks a million!
Deckard.242 is offline  
post #1876 of 1983 Old 03-25-2020, 05:54 PM
Member
 
glc650's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 12
@Deckard.242

I've owned the 8012 since Dec and noticed the same behavior right off the bat. I initially contacted Marantz by phone regarding this behavior and got no where (their phone support is beyond useless). Ended up emailing them and a week later got a response.

Anyway, the 8012 will always upmix by default (+Neural:X for DTS; +DDS for Dolby tracks). For Dolby tracks you can stop this default behavior (i.e. switch to 1:1; no upmixing) by selecting the specific track type with the sound mode setting (for example, select TrueHD when listening to TrueHD 5.1 and only 5.1 channels will be used (or 7.1 if it is a TrueHD 7.1 track)). And the speaker output on the AVR will reflect this.

For whatever reason, DTS does not work this way. Only way to turn off all upmixing is to select Direct/Pure Direct. If your are listening to a DTS-HD 5.1 track and select DTS-HD MA as the sound mode the AVR will still show all speakers (including height) as outputting audio but according to Marantz you should only hear sound from the 7.1 bed channels (even with a 5.1 DTS-HD track). I haven't spent much time testing this (I don't have much DTS content and half of what I do have is DTS:X) but I'm pretty sure the last time I tried I still heard sound out of my heights even with a 5.1 track so I don't know. I recall reading somewhere that DTS will only utilize the overhead speakers if they are set as heights (which mine are) so maybe that has something to do with it.

Last edited by glc650; 03-25-2020 at 06:16 PM.
glc650 is online now  
post #1877 of 1983 Old 03-25-2020, 05:57 PM
Member
 
Tsender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by glc650 View Post
@Deckard.242

I've owned the 8012 since Dec and noticed the same behavior right off the bat. I initially contacted Marantz by phone regarding this behavior and got no where (their phone support is beyond useless). Ended up emailing them and a week later got a response. Anyway, the 8012 will always upmix by default (Neural:X for DTS; Dolby Surround for DD). For Dolby tracks you can stop this default behavior (i.e. switch to 1:1; no upmixing) by selecting the specific track type with the movie mode setting (for example, select TrueHD when listening to TrueHD 5.1 and only 5.1 channels will be used (or 7.1 if it is a TrueHD 7.1 track)). For whatever reason, DTS does not work this way. Only way to turn off all upmixing is to select Direct. If your are listening to a DTS-HD 5.1 track and select DTS-HD MA as the mode the AVR will still show all speakers (including height) as outputting audio but according to Marantz you should only hear sound from the 7.1 bed channels (even with a 5.1 DTS-HD track).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tsender is offline  
post #1878 of 1983 Old 03-25-2020, 06:02 PM
Member
 
Tsender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard.242 View Post
Hey guys, I am now new happy owner of SR8012 (upgraded from SR7009 so it was a big step up for me). I hooked up the new gear last weekend and started getting some first experience with it. There are two things I would like to ask about.

1) Movie audio modes:

My speaker setup is Atmos 7.4.2 with surround back, top middle and front heights. What is the best audio mode for movies with native 5.1 or 7.1 sound (DTS, DD or lossless codecs) for my configuration in order to get the most from the height/ceiling speakers? I suppose I should always use the mode featuring Neural:X, right? I am asking because it seems I get all my 11 speakers active even when I select "source + Dolby Surround" mode and even when I select the original source mode (e.g. DTS-HD MSTR). This is very strange btw as it does that for all DTS 5.1 and 7.1 but not for DD or TrueHD tracks (in that case I get only the respective 5 or 7 speakers active)... I suppose the on-screen information provided by the receiver is misleading in that regard as I do not understand why should I get sound from other speakers than 5.1 or 7.1 with that mode... But back to my question - Is the Neural:X mode the best I should use for audio soundtracks except those mixed in Dolby Atmos and DTS:X?

2) Dolby Vision movies:

What an unpleasant surprise to see that the overlay of OSD information does not work with DV (adjusting volume does not appear on the screen at all, Info displays over black screen, Options displays over Marantz splash screen). Is there any workaround to get the OSD info working with DV? I did find some threads on this issue here but no definitive answer...

Thanks a million!

I had the same issue also around DTS sources showing that all my speakers were active even if the original recording is say 5.1 and I’m not doing any upmixing. I asked this question way back in the post and was told “that’s the way the DTS decoder works and that it’s common across all receivers”. I know factually that’s not the case but I guess it’s not a huge deal

As far as the DV goes that’s very common among all receivers and processors. No work around AFAIK


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tsender is offline  
post #1879 of 1983 Old 03-25-2020, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pappaduke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Philly area
Posts: 1,618
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard.242 View Post
Hey guys, I am now new happy owner of SR8012 (upgraded from SR7009 so it was a big step up for me). I hooked up the new gear last weekend and started getting some first experience with it. There are two things I would like to ask about.

1) Movie audio modes:

My speaker setup is Atmos 7.4.2 with surround back, top middle and front heights. What is the best audio mode for movies with native 5.1 or 7.1 sound (DTS, DD or lossless codecs) for my configuration in order to get the most from the height/ceiling speakers? I suppose I should always use the mode featuring Neural:X, right? I am asking because it seems I get all my 11 speakers active even when I select "source + Dolby Surround" mode and even when I select the original source mode (e.g. DTS-HD MSTR). This is very strange btw as it does that for all DTS 5.1 and 7.1 but not for DD or TrueHD tracks (in that case I get only the respective 5 or 7 speakers active)... I suppose the on-screen information provided by the receiver is misleading in that regard as I do not understand why should I get sound from other speakers than 5.1 or 7.1 with that mode... But back to my question - Is the Neural:X mode the best I should use for audio soundtracks except those mixed in Dolby Atmos and DTS:X?

2) Dolby Vision movies:

What an unpleasant surprise to see that the overlay of OSD information does not work with DV (adjusting volume does not appear on the screen at all, Info displays over black screen, Options displays over Marantz splash screen). Is there any workaround to get the OSD info working with DV? I did find some threads on this issue here but no definitive answer...

Thanks a million!
I use the app on my iPad to view volume levels. Kind of a PITA, but it gets the job done.

Man cave-Marantz 8012, Oppo 203, 4K ATV, FireCube 2, Sony XBR-75X940E, Bluesound Vault 2, Harmony One, 2 Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-390, 2ADP 390's/190's, 2 PDR 100's,
4 SVS Prime elevations. B&W P5. Living room- Yamaha 2010, Bluesound Node 2, Paradigm SE-1's, Zone 2-Paradigm-Stylus 370-SM. B&W PX for travel
Bedroom- Samsung UN60ES7100F, Oppo 103D, Pulse Mini, JBL Bar Studio, ATV3 and Harmony 650
pappaduke is offline  
post #1880 of 1983 Old 03-26-2020, 07:12 AM
Newbie
 
Deckard.242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Czech Rep.
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaduke View Post
I use the app on my iPad to view volume levels. Kind of a PITA, but it gets the job done.
"AVR remote" I guess. That`s a good point I will check this out. Thx
Deckard.242 is offline  
post #1881 of 1983 Old 03-26-2020, 07:29 AM
Newbie
 
Deckard.242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Czech Rep.
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by glc650 View Post
@Deckard.242

I've owned the 8012 since Dec and noticed the same behavior right off the bat. I initially contacted Marantz by phone regarding this behavior and got no where (their phone support is beyond useless). Ended up emailing them and a week later got a response.

Anyway, the 8012 will always upmix by default (+Neural:X for DTS; +DDS for Dolby tracks). For Dolby tracks you can stop this default behavior (i.e. switch to 1:1; no upmixing) by selecting the specific track type with the sound mode setting (for example, select TrueHD when listening to TrueHD 5.1 and only 5.1 channels will be used (or 7.1 if it is a TrueHD 7.1 track)). And the speaker output on the AVR will reflect this.

For whatever reason, DTS does not work this way. Only way to turn off all upmixing is to select Direct/Pure Direct. If your are listening to a DTS-HD 5.1 track and select DTS-HD MA as the sound mode the AVR will still show all speakers (including height) as outputting audio but according to Marantz you should only hear sound from the 7.1 bed channels (even with a 5.1 DTS-HD track). I haven't spent much time testing this (I don't have much DTS content and half of what I do have is DTS:X) but I'm pretty sure the last time I tried I still heard sound out of my heights even with a 5.1 track so I don't know. I recall reading somewhere that DTS will only utilize the overhead speakers if they are set as heights (which mine are) so maybe that has something to do with it.
OK, I see your point, thank you.

While I may prefer the AVR to output the original mix (5.1 or 7.1 channels) for some movies (i.e. no upmixing) for intensive action/atmospheric movies I definitely prefer upmixing of DD/DTS tracks to use all 11 speakers in my room. Would you then say that "DD/DTS + Neural:X" mode is always superior to "DD/DTS + Dolby Surround" in terms of separation of effects from the original mix to overhead speakers and overall balancing of all channels? Neural:X is always the default mode unless the audio track is object-based...
Deckard.242 is offline  
post #1882 of 1983 Old 03-26-2020, 02:47 PM
Member
 
glc650's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard.242 View Post
OK, I see your point, thank you.

While I may prefer the AVR to output the original mix (5.1 or 7.1 channels) for some movies (i.e. no upmixing) for intensive action/atmospheric movies I definitely prefer upmixing of DD/DTS tracks to use all 11 speakers in my room. Would you then say that "DD/DTS + Neural:X" mode is always superior to "DD/DTS + Dolby Surround" in terms of separation of effects from the original mix to overhead speakers and overall balancing of all channels? Neural:X is always the default mode unless the audio track is object-based...
I've setup the Smart Select buttons and tied them to my Harmony config to get around the default behavior of always upmixing so I really don't know which upmixer is better. I'd say use whichever upmixer sounds best to you. And more and more of my content is Atmos (so no upmixing needed anyway) so I really don't do any upmixing.
glc650 is online now  
post #1883 of 1983 Old 04-06-2020, 04:15 PM
Member
 
Tsender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 16
When watching an IMAX ENHANCED title does it override the Audyssey settings or do they still apply? I thought I read that IMAX had it’s own pre-configuration?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tsender is offline  
post #1884 of 1983 Old 04-06-2020, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 87,446
Mentioned: 849 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24545 Post(s)
Liked: 13783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsender View Post
When watching an IMAX ENHANCED title does it override the Audyssey settings or do they still apply? I thought I read that IMAX had it’s own pre-configuration?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Audyssey MultEQ XT32 still applies, but not the other Audyssey features (Dynamic EQ, Dynamic Volume, LFC).

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	326
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	2706710  
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #1885 of 1983 Old 04-06-2020, 04:45 PM
Member
 
Tsender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
The Audyssey MultEQ XT32 still applies, but not the other Audyssey features (Dynamic EQ, Dynamic Volume, LFC).


Thanks JD, exactly what I was looking for


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tsender is offline  
post #1886 of 1983 Old 04-06-2020, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
tr4a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Rohnert Park CA
Posts: 557
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 779
On Screen display changes from gold to orange.

I have had my 8012 for almost 2.5 years.
I have searched the manual and I did not find anything.
What causes the onscreen display to change to orange instead of gold?

Steve
tr4a is offline  
post #1887 of 1983 Old 04-06-2020, 06:37 PM
Member
 
Tsender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr4a View Post
On Screen display changes from gold to orange.

I have had my 8012 for almost 2.5 years.
I have searched the manual and I did not find anything.
What causes the onscreen display to change to orange instead of gold?

Steve

I thought it was 4K, HDR or Dolby Vision? I’ve noticed this also.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tsender is offline  
post #1888 of 1983 Old 04-06-2020, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
tr4a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Rohnert Park CA
Posts: 557
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 779
Tsender

Thanks. This just started recently.
I have more than a few 4K UHD discs and I have never noticed it before.

Steve
tr4a is offline  
post #1889 of 1983 Old 04-06-2020, 06:42 PM
Member
 
Tsender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr4a View Post
Tsender

Thanks. This just started recently.
I have more than a few 4K UHD discs and I have never noticed it before.

Steve

I’m not 100% but I think that’s it. I’m sure JD or someone else knows for certain.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tsender is offline  
post #1890 of 1983 Old 04-06-2020, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 87,446
Mentioned: 849 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24545 Post(s)
Liked: 13783
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr4a View Post
On Screen display changes from gold to orange.

I have had my 8012 for almost 2.5 years.
I have searched the manual and I did not find anything.
What causes the onscreen display to change to orange instead of gold?

Steve
First I've heard of this and as I'm still using my Panny 1080p plasma, I have no 4k sources to confirm.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 04-06-2020 at 11:01 PM.
jdsmoothie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
marantz 8012 , repairs , sr8012

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off