"Official" 2017 Marantz SR8012 Owner's thread - Page 66 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1149Likes

post #1951 of 1990 Old 06-18-2020, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Anyone heee running external amp with the SR8012?
Which? And would you recommend it? I’m thinking of a two channel for music.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1952 of 1990 Old 06-19-2020, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by llep64 View Post

Parasound Halo A23.....actually a bit less rated power then 8012 but was using with my old receiver which had trouble with my speakers during low impedance dips. It's a solid amp but may suggest going with the A21 if you go Parasound as it has quite a bit more output than the A23.

KEF R900, R600C, Q500, Q300; PSA S3012, Oppo BDP-95; Marantz SR8012; Sony UDP-X800; Technics SL-5; NAD Phono Preamp; Apple TV 4th Gen (Also....Parasound Halo A23; NAD T777v2)
post #1953 of 1990 Old 06-19-2020, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
When you say "volume goes way down", do you mean overall volume level or just from the Front L/R speakers?

Perhaps other SR8012 Owner's could check to see whether using Audyssey Bypass L/R results in a noticeable loss of sound level?

Beyond that, you can adjust individual speaker pairs using OPTION - CHANNEL LEVEL ADJUST - FRONT.

I was listening in stereo mode and remembered to check this. I can confirm that using Audyssey L/R Bypass does result in a decrease in sound at the same volume setting than Audyssey Reference. Wouldn't that be expected though depending on the room since only L/R speakers are playing when in stereo mode and you are removing the Audyssey reference curve?

KEF R900, R600C, Q500, Q300; PSA S3012, Oppo BDP-95; Marantz SR8012; Sony UDP-X800; Technics SL-5; NAD Phono Preamp; Apple TV 4th Gen (Also....Parasound Halo A23; NAD T777v2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1954 of 1990 Old 06-19-2020, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 854 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24666 Post(s)
Liked: 13880
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC1991 View Post
I was listening in stereo mode and remembered to check this. I can confirm that using Audyssey L/R Bypass does result in a decrease in sound at the same volume setting than Audyssey Reference. Wouldn't that be expected though depending on the room since only L/R speakers are playing when in stereo mode and you are removing the Audyssey reference curve?
Thanks for the confirmation.

AFAIK, the Front L/R speaker level settings are still maintained.
post #1955 of 1990 Old 06-22-2020, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1651 Post(s)
Liked: 3086
Last night i was listening to tunes close to reference levels (same songs on my playlist as before). I've had my SR8012 for quite a while now and haven't seen this happen before (or just never noticed). Once i was within 10DB's or less nearing reference volume the display started pulsing with both kick drum and snare drum hits. I'm not running any speakers at full range, in fact mains are X-over at 100Hz the rest 90/110Hz and never have DEQ engaged. Speakers are 8 ohm.

This was happening on both a 15a AC line as well as a New isolated 20a line (tried both). If this is not normal, does this suggest a power supply problem? With all the work load below 100Hz been directed to my subs it seems odd? Thanks!

Edit

Afterwards, i watched a movie, Tripple-X at -6MV,,,, bass heavy movie with loads of action (gunfire, explosions) throughout and did not notice the display dimming in those action sequences? Sorry if this has been asked before.

-Marantz SR-8012
-Yamaha BD-A1060
-Funk 21.0LX Master/Slave combo 4800 watts RMS/9600watts (peak)-
-Chane A-2.4 L/C/R
-Chane A-1.4 side/rear surrounds.

Last edited by indebtbassfreak; 06-22-2020 at 08:32 AM.
post #1956 of 1990 Old 06-22-2020, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Does anyone know of availability of the official rack mount kit? I live in Australia and nobody will ship to Australia, and the Marantz importer here does not carry it.
post #1957 of 1990 Old 06-23-2020, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbyMcDubs View Post
Does anyone know of availability of the official rack mount kit? I live in Australia and nobody will ship to Australia, and the Marantz importer here does not carry it.
The RMK8012SR rack mount kit is available for order in the USA although in some cases the rack mount kits can take up to 2-3 weeks for receipt due to limited production lots.
post #1958 of 1990 Old 06-23-2020, 05:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Liked: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by indebtbassfreak View Post
Last night i was listening to tunes close to reference levels (same songs on my playlist as before). I've had my SR8012 for quite a while now and haven't seen this happen before (or just never noticed). Once i was within 10DB's or less nearing reference volume the display started pulsing with both kick drum and snare drum hits. I'm not running any speakers at full range, in fact mains are X-over at 100Hz the rest 90/110Hz and never have DEQ engaged. Speakers are 8 ohm.

This was happening on both a 15a AC line as well as a New isolated 20a line (tried both). If this is not normal, does this suggest a power supply problem? With all the work load below 100Hz been directed to my subs it seems odd? Thanks!

Edit

Afterwards, i watched a movie, Tripple-X at -6MV,,,, bass heavy movie with loads of action (gunfire, explosions) throughout and did not notice the display dimming in those action sequences? Sorry if this has been asked before.
I am wondering if it could be a heat issue? Do you know the ohm ratings of your speakers? That could be another issue. I have seen this issue with lower output amps and I have found that it is often a power supply issue or some type of amp protection circuit kicking in. Usually the problem occurs with amps that are underpowered and that is not the case with the Marantz 8012 unless you have speakers that have very high power demand.
post #1959 of 1990 Old 06-23-2020, 05:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Edit

I am wondering if it could be a heat issue? Do you know the ohm ratings of your speakers? What speakers are you using? That could be another issue. I have seen this issue with lower output amps and I have found that it is often a power supply issue or some type of amp protection circuit kicking in. Usually the problem occurs with amps that are underpowered and that is not the case with the Marantz 8012 unless you have speakers that have very high power demand.
post #1960 of 1990 Old 06-23-2020, 05:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post
I am wondering if it could be a heat issue? Do you know the ohm ratings of your speakers? What speakers are you using? That could be another issue. I have seen this issue with lower output amps and I have found that it is often a power supply issue or some type of amp protection circuit kicking in. Usually the problem occurs with amps that are underpowered and that is not the case with the Marantz 8012 unless you have speakers that have very high power demand.
Thanks for your response. Speakers are Chane A-2.4's on the front soundstage A1.4 elsewhere and are 8ohm rated. Im using an AC Infinity T-8 so definitely no heat issues, all channels are well into (-) trim. Been a long time since i remember seen an AVR display dimming every bass hit, and yes it had no where near the power the SR8012 and was not properly set up like mine is now.

Jeez i hope something isn't failing as it is behaving as though its been pushed to hard. When it comes to music i have always had no issues turning it up at times to "0"mv and never saw the display dimming to drum beats.

-Marantz SR-8012
-Yamaha BD-A1060
-Chane A-2.4 L/C/R
post #1961 of 1990 Old 06-23-2020, 05:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for your response. Speakers are Chane A-2.4's on the front soundstage A1.4 elsewhere and are 8ohm rated. Im using an AC Infinity T-8 so definitely no heat issues, all channels are well into (-) trim. Been a long time since i remember seen an AVR display dimming every bass hit, and yes it had no where near the power the SR8012 and was not properly set up like mine is now.

Jeez i hope something isn't failing as it is behaving as though its been pushed to hard. When it comes to music i have always had no issues turning it up at times to "0"mv and never saw the display dimming to drum beats.
I would suggest that you give Marantz. I am using the same AC Infinity T-8 and as you say it is not a heat issue. Since your speakers are rated at 8 ohms the power output on the Marantz is rated lower. That being said the speakers are probably efficient. I had a similar issue with amp clipping at a friend's house and we discovered it was the speakers causing the issue. The Ohm rating was incorrect.
post #1962 of 1990 Old 06-23-2020, 07:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I will give them a call an inquire thanks. Been a SR8012 thread,,,,,, i was hoping other users who like to dial things up would chime in and share if their experiencing this or not (maybe its normal and i'm concerned about nothing). If it is common then i wont worry about it,, it's not like the display is going really dim, but does dim to the beat of the music noticeably. My concern is if something is failing limiting my output capabilities.

-Marantz SR-8012
-Yamaha BD-A1060
-Chane A-2.4 L/C/R
post #1963 of 1990 Old 06-23-2020, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 73
If you have a volt-ohm meter I would monitor the line voltage first.
I would then identify all other outlets on the circuit and unplug everything to see if this issue continues.
Next I would operate the receiver by alternately unplugging one speaker at a time to see if possibly you have a speaker resistance issue from crossover or coil damage.
If still have a problem then it must be the receiver.
post #1964 of 1990 Old 06-23-2020, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
If you have a volt-ohm meter I would monitor the line voltage first.
I would then identify all other outlets on the circuit and unplug everything to see if this issue continues.
Next I would operate the receiver by alternately unplugging one speaker at a time to see if possibly you have a speaker resistance issue from crossover or coil damage.
If still have a problem then it must be the receiver.
Thanks PeterK for your quick reply. I just put in an isolated 220/240v line at the box, then split into a single AC outlet sharing the neutral giving "each" plug its own 20a 110/120v nothing else on this circuit . Symptoms persist regardless of ac line used including a different 15a line.

Would running audyssey again identify "if" there were any specific speaker issues? I'm pretty knowledgeable with tuning and shouldnt be over driving this exspensive AVR with all my settings. All channels trim are well into the (-) giving "0" a reasonably safe max master volume, all speakers set to small X-over mains at 100Hz. So if the consensus is that i should not be seeing any dancing of the display whats so ever within my listening volumes then i guess time to call Marantz.

Edit
I forgot to mention,,,, i use "all channel stereo" Mode when listening to music so certainly more power draw than 2channel. Bench testing showd the SR8012 could put out just under 100wpc RMS with seven channels driven so good power with sevens channels been used and no speakers been run "rull Range"

-Marantz SR-8012
-Yamaha BD-A1060
-Chane A-2.4 L/C/R

Last edited by indebtbassfreak; 06-23-2020 at 07:55 AM.
post #1965 of 1990 Old 06-23-2020, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1487 Post(s)
Liked: 1401
Quote:
I will give them a call an inquire thanks. Been a SR8012 thread,,,,,, i was hoping other users who like to dial things up would chime in and share if their experiencing this or not (maybe its normal and i'm concerned about nothing). If it is common then i wont worry about it,, it's not like the display is going really dim, but does dim to the beat of the music noticeably. My concern is if something is failing limiting my output capabilities.

The electric power for the display is derived from a winding on the transformer that also supplies power to the power amplifiers in the SR8012. For reference, most sensitive digital circuits in the SR8012 get power from a separate SMPS that is connected directly to the 120V input of the unit, not the power transformer.

There will be significant current surges in the power amplifier supply at about 3X the magnitude of the RMS current drawn due to the rectifier circuit charging the capacitors during only part of the 120V 60Hz cycle. These surges are at 120Hz and its multiples.

The rapidly changing current in the power amplifier supply windings in the power transformer likely induce 120Hz current in the display windings. This induced current would of course have a higher magnitude when the power amplifiers are drawing more current.

It seems likely that the display or the power circuitry leading to the display would be designed to eliminate any effects of these 120Hz current surges. Perhaps the circuitry to eliminate this 120Hz interference has weakened or failed in your SR8012.
indebtbassfreak likes this.
post #1966 of 1990 Old 06-23-2020, 08:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguyca View Post
The electric power for the display is derived from a winding on the transformer that also supplies power to the power amplifiers in the SR8012. For reference, most sensitive digital circuits in the SR8012 get power from a separate SMPS that is connected directly to the 120V input of the unit, not the power transformer.

There will be significant current surges in the power amplifier supply at about 3X the magnitude of the RMS current drawn due to the rectifier circuit charging the capacitors during only part of the 120V 60Hz cycle. These surges are at 120Hz and its multiples.

The rapidly changing current in the power amplifier supply windings in the power transformer likely induce 120Hz current in the display windings. This induced current would of course have a higher magnitude when the power amplifiers are drawing more current.

It seems likely that the display or the power circuitry leading to the display would be designed to eliminate any effects of these 120Hz current surges. Perhaps the circuitry to eliminate this 120Hz interference has weakened or failed in your SR8012.
I actually think i understand what your saying (the tech stuff is often above my paygrade lol) your saying,,,,,The fact the display doesn't bypass the transformer while other digital circuits go through a separate SMPS120v,,,,,,,,because of this , you mentioned possibly something is failing and i understand you say because of this,, a 120Hz frequency is getting through to the display creating this effect. Other than my OCD always noticing this dimming to the beat aesthetic ,,,,are there any audio performance concerns?

Thanks for taking the time to explain your thoughts on this,,, much appreciated!!

-Marantz SR-8012
-Yamaha BD-A1060
-Chane A-2.4 L/C/R
post #1967 of 1990 Old 06-24-2020, 04:26 AM - Thread Starter

AVR switches to Apple TV when first powered on: If setting HDMI-CEC on the TV and AVR both to OFF is not practical or it simply does not resolve the issue, consider adding the following adapter between the Apple TV and the AVR ---> https://www.amazon.com/Lindy-HDMI-Ad.../dp/B00DL48KVI
post #1968 of 1990 Old 06-25-2020, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 25
New HEOS update available. D/L ing now.
post #1969 of 1990 Old 06-25-2020, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Post Heos update Firmware version = 6461 8245 6132 2065.
post #1970 of 1990 Old 06-25-2020, 11:43 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by llep64 View Post
I use my Gryphon Diablo 300 for stereo music and it has HT pass through for when I want to watch a movie or tv show.
post #1971 of 1990 Old 06-27-2020, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sound quality wise 2 channel's which is better

as will be using for 80% music
post #1972 of 1990 Old 06-28-2020, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryuk22 View Post

The 8012 has the most robust and biggest amp section (and is Marantz's flagship), so I would say the 8012 most likely. The 7012 and 7013 should basically sound the same, as I don't think there were any significant (if any) sound quality changes between the two.
post #1973 of 1990 Old 06-29-2020, 04:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post
The 8012 has the most robust and biggest amp section (and is Marantz's flagship), so I would say the 8012 most likely. The 7012 and 7013 should basically sound the same, as I don't think there were any significant (if any) sound quality changes between the two.
The 8012 also has the best power supply an oversized toroidal transformer which can make a difference.
RWetmore likes this.
post #1974 of 1990 Old 06-29-2020, 05:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:

If you decide on the 8012, I believe the 8012 will be replaced later this year with an 8015. Not sure of the date, but you could catch the 8012 on sale if you are willing to wait a while.
RWetmore likes this.

Man cave-Marantz 8012, Oppo 203, 4K ATV, FireCube 2, Sony XBR-75X940E, Bluesound Vault 2, Harmony One, 2 Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-390, 2ADP 390's/190's, 2 PDR 100's,
4 SVS Prime elevations. B&W P5. Living room- Yamaha 2010, Bluesound Node 2, Paradigm SE-1's, Zone 2-Paradigm-Stylus 370-SM. B&W PX for travel
Bedroom- Samsung UN60ES7100F, Oppo 103D, Pulse Mini, JBL Bar Studio, ATV3 and Harmony 650
post #1975 of 1990 Old 06-29-2020, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaduke View Post
If you decide on the 8012, I believe the 8012 will be replaced later this year with an 8015. Not sure of the date, but you could catch the 8012 on sale if you are willing to wait a while.
Agreed. It's seems due to go on sale very soon due to the impending launch of 8015. Might be able to get it brand new from and authorized dealer at near half of the MSRP.
post #1976 of 1990 Old 06-29-2020, 06:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1487 Post(s)
Liked: 1401
Quote:

Clearly the SR8012 should be the better unit based on its design, but measurements of all the AVR's would tell a more complete story.

The SR8012 was measured in a limited way by Audioholics. One significant limitation clearly noted in the Audioholics review is the the RCA preamp outputs are limited to 1.2V. With a typical power amplifier with a gain of 29dB, say a Monoprice Monolith unit, this will limit output to at most about 140W into 8 ohms or about the power output of the AV8012 power amplifiers when driving two channels.

https://www.audioholics.com/av-recei...12-bench-tests
post #1977 of 1990 Old 06-30-2020, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
its ok numbers but in the real sound quality or is it worth spending the 900 or so more
post #1978 of 1990 Old 06-30-2020, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I know the external Amp question is a very big polemic issue,and this may have been addressed, but considering all of us have the same AVR, did people here who went that route of an external AMP felt/heard a SQ gain of relevance compared to our SR8012? If so, can you elaborate (in lower volume levels, in higher volume etc.)?

I have mine plugged to a B&W 705 S2 and B&W sub, and have always been curious.

Thanks.

Samsung UN78HU9000GXZD / Marantz SR8012 (with AIRCOM Infinity T10) / B&W 705 S2 + HTM71 S2 Front + B&W DB4S sub + NHT SuperZeros 2.1 Back
LG OLED 65C8PSA / Marantz SR6013 / B&W CM1 S2 + CM Center S2 Front + Jamo J10 sub + NHT SuperZeros 2.1 Back
LG OLED 55EA9850 / Yamaha Soundbar YSP 2700
post #1979 of 1990 Old 07-01-2020, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
its ok numbers but in the real sound quality or is it worth spending the 900 or so more
That's subjective, but the difference (if noticeable) is likely to be fairly subtle. If you don't have particularly hard speakers to drive and/or don't listen all that loud then it's probably not worth $900 more, IMO.
post #1980 of 1990 Old 07-01-2020, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbernstein View Post
I know the external Amp question is a very big polemic issue,and this may have been addressed, but considering all of us have the same AVR, did people here who went that route of an external AMP felt/heard a SQ gain of relevance compared to our SR8012? If so, can you elaborate (in lower volume levels, in higher volume etc.)?

I have mine plugged to a B&W 705 S2 and B&W sub, and have always been curious.

Thanks.
I have an Emotiva XPA3 Gen 1 amp 200 watts per channel that I have used with a few receivers. First was with a Pioneer Elite 49TX which was a powerful beast and absolutely no audible difference with using the amp vs the receiver. I tried it with a Denon 3600H that my son owns and again no noticeable benefit. Currently using it because I own it with my Denon 4520ci but again no audible benefit. All 3 uses there was powered subwoofers so already quite a bit of amp load was removed.

Edit - normally we run at -13db volume and max at -10db. In my basement room of 16x32 feet that is plenty loud! I have run at 0 when the wife was out but that is not tolerable for real long. Still even at that level the receivers had no problem keeping up as far as my ears could tell.

With the 8012 I only see you getting a benefit if you are looking to reduce heat on the receiver, if your surrounds and overhead speakers are some incredibly hard to drive design, if your front mains are something like the old Ohm Walsh vertical cone speakers that require incredible amounts of power. Yes it is nice knowing you have extra power available and that the receiver will not be running at its limits but that is very rarely the case in a home theater system.

If you have the extra cash, sure give it a try but don’t expect any “night and day” differences!

Last edited by PeterK; 07-01-2020 at 03:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
marantz 8012 , repairs , sr8012

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page