Firmware Change log Information
(1) Firmware updates for the AR8012 should be available via Marantz's website
and can be downloaded and installed via USB thumb drive. You will need to enter the serial number of the AVR at the website page to obtain the update.
(2) Firmware updates can also be installed by the owner via an internet connection to the Marantz servers. Although it's not necessary to update your unit if you are not experiencing any problems, it's generally a good idea to keep it updated so that if there are any problems with the update the unit will still be covered under warranty. The update process generally doesn't take more than 30 minutes once the download begins and also generally does not erase any settings, although it's always a good idea to SAVE the config.avr
file using the Setup - General - SAVE & LOAD - SAVE feature prior to doing the update just in case. Note that if the update process is stuck on "Authenticating", ensure a source other than NET/USB is selected and just let it continue for up to a few hours and it should eventually begin the update process (although note that Marantz's servers have been known to crash the first day of release due to the overload, so you may want to wait a few days before trying again).
Other tips if having problems with the update include setting "Network Control" to OFF in Standby, cycling the DHCP setting on the AVR, or using a static IP address.
During the update, the AVR will go into Standby mode, but will continue to update status on the front panel display. If the update seems to be hung up (ie. goes beyond 1 hour) ... power the AVR to Standby, unplug it for a few minutes and power back on and attempt the update again. If the update fails to load, check the network environment (ie. reset the router, replace the router with a more current/robust model, or ideally wire directly to the router if connecting wirelessly) If still not having any luck with the update, perform a Network Reset as described in post 3 above. You may also want to consider purchasing a long (100'+) Cat5/6 cable for network updates only for a higher probability of a successful install.
You will be notified automatically when there is a firmware update when the AVR is turned ON as long as the Notification Update setting is set to ON (factory default). For more information refer to Setup - General - Firmware - Notifications -Update
in the Owner's manual. To manually check for an update, refer to Setup - General - Firmware - Update - Check for Update
(3) What is my unit's current firmware version? The current firmware version can be determined from the AVR's menu: Setup --> General --> Information --> Firmware Version.
Firmware change log date/info:
- If the product is connected to ALLM compatible TV (HDMI 2.1), the transmission rate of 4K 50p / 60p format video does not become 6 Gbps.
6 Gbps of 4K signal is below.
4k 50p / 60p YCbCr 4: 2: 0 30/36 bit
4K 50p / 60p RGB 4: 4: 4 24bit
4K 50p / 60p YCbCr 4: 2: 2 36 bits
- Sometimes no grouping possible between some HEOS speakers.
- Specific Flac files from customer do not play; neither via USB or network (twonky server 8.2.1)
- After update, grouping of two HEOS products was no longer possible when Stereo grouped.
- When selecting the HEOS 1 under setup/help/system check/network status, and selecting the router it is connected to, a different value is shown.
- Two values for BSSID´s which are definitely wrong.
- Improved stability of audio playback and wireless connection when connecting HEOS speaker, HEOS AMP as wireless surround to HEOS Bar or HEOS AVR.
- Reduced time to detect HEOS equipment on the network and improved reliability.
- Airplay 2
- ALLM (Auto Low Latency Mode)
- DTS Virtual:X
- eARC (note that in order to pass "enhanced" HD audio from an eARC able TV (not expected until late 2018/early 2019), one of the following HDMI cables must be used to connect the AVR to the TV: Standard w/Ethernet, High Speed w/Ethernet (including "Premium" High Speed w/Ethernet), or Ultra High Speed w/Ethernet)
- Web Control (reintroduced after being dropped on all 2016-2017 HEOS models - currently only “Audio”, “Video”, ”Speakers” and “Inputs” can be accessed. “General” and “Network” will be supported early in 2019 via another firmware update)
- IMAX Enhanced DTS:X
- Web Control (access to GENERAL and NETWORK)
- Improves overall performance and stability
- Corrects control system issue caused by the 4-17-2019 update
(1) The change log information above is provided as is, without any further explanation and only when I am able to obtain it. If the information listed above doesn't make sense, please don't ask for clarification, as I have none.