Marantz AV8805 15.2 XLR Pre/Pro Official Thread - Page 104 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1962Likes

post #3091 of 4250 Old 01-17-2019, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Will Qobuz be on HEOS ?
fish5225 likes this.

Sony A1E, Marantz 8805, Montis, Bryston,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3092 of 4250 Old 01-18-2019, 03:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked: 1819
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post
Now that we've established that some of us (including me) are very, very old, the 8805-related question is: what do you do to the sound to compensate for your high-treble hearing loss?
Buy speakers that are not "polite" (duller). Aerial and KEF (off axis) comes to mind. Or the opposite, buy speakers that might be voices "hotter" like Thiel, DALI, Usher Audio, etc. Or use the D&M app to add in a decibel or two on the top end.

Steve (Owner) Sound Video

Last edited by SteveH; 01-18-2019 at 03:08 AM.
post #3093 of 4250 Old 01-18-2019, 03:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post
Will Qobuz be on HEOS ?
D&M would add it Qobuz if Qobuz wants HEOS. Apple Music (which I think sounds meh) isn't on the HEOS but is on the Sonos. It's not because HEOS doesn't want to add Apple Music.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3094 of 4250 Old 01-18-2019, 03:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irwinroad View Post
Was there any talk about a DTS X Pro upgrade for the 8805 at CES or will it be included in the next flagship offering after 2021?
Sorry. I missed your question. I didn't ask about it. It goes without saying that if DTS:X Pro had a marketing brain in their head, they would be knocking on the door of the largest preamp processor and receiver vendor in the world. I know Trinnov has announced their desire to get DTS:X Pro on their platform in about 6 months. I understand that they have been working closely with Trinnov engineering and Trinnov has gone out of their way to suggest they have an early partnership with DTS:X Pro. D&M is much more reserved and they keep things tighter to their chest. I would not be surprised if they are currently working closely with DTS. If they are, I'd assume it won't happen before 6 months from now. Like I said,if I was DTS, I certainly would be working with D&M product and engineering; the earlier the better. At a $20K-$30K prepro, I'm guessing Trinnov sells under 20 processors a month worldwide. The budget curve with relation to sales volume on prepros are STEEP. That mice-nuts volume is not enough to drive a technology. Common sense tells me DTS needs and wants D&M on board sooner than later.

Putting it another way, if the 8805 didn't have DTS:X Pro before the 8805 was terminated, that would be a problem in my eyes. Their flagships have had a long history of keeping people happy by being close to the 1st to release. If it wasn't released, then I would put the delay on DTS. realize this isn't insider info. Rather, I'm thinking like a rational business like D&M and DTS and comparing that with the history of 1st releases.
wyliec2 and Irwinroad like this.

Last edited by SteveH; 01-18-2019 at 03:29 AM.
post #3095 of 4250 Old 01-18-2019, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
My bet is your 3D is using IR to the glasses and this is what causes the problem.
You're right! I have disconnected the 3d emitter from the vpr and the issue is gone. Well, i'm changin' vpr i'll take a bluetooth emitter, too ...
Dave Vaughn likes this.
post #3096 of 4250 Old 01-19-2019, 04:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I need 15 truly chanels whit the 8805 for now I have 7.4.4 and I receive one more émotiva xpa 5 and 2 more atmost earhquake in the top and 2 more surround speaker,for shur the 8805 have 15 true chanels have long time buy this good preamp.
I need 9.4.6

I have no choice to buy émotiva rmc-1 or rmc-2.

marantz av 8805, 13 chanels, emotiva 2 xpa 5 gen1,1 emotiva xpa3 gen3, 7.4.6,4 speakers monitor 11 ,2 paradigm studio 100 v2,4 ceillings speakers ss82w sweet spot earthquake ,2 earthquake ecs-8.0,1 center Paradigm cc390,4 subs klipsch r-sw112 sw.antimod 8033 perfect bass kit paradigm, Buttkicker amplificateur lfe 1000 watts, , tv oled 65e6p,, room 12x25x7,bluray player oppo bdp 203,4coolers ac infinity s9 fan.
post #3097 of 4250 Old 01-19-2019, 06:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiriza84641 View Post
Tha monoprice Processor looks promising!!
It is WAY too early to be gitty. Time to market and execution on a complex prepro is always about the selected partners. In this example, Monoprice doesn't design squat. Rather, they rely on contractors and or pre-existing products. And in this case, the design isn't done or it would have been out already.

So it boils down to the same old problem: how many engineers are working on it, who are they, and how important is the sales volume to make sure a Dish Network or an AppleTV for example, buys one of their prepros to play nice together. It's always about the laws of "physics" which is: 1) engineering horsepower (hours in the day and experience) + visibility to the other HDMI brands who plug into them (TV's, set top boxes, etc).

i understand the video board supplier that was selected doesn't have a good track record (time to market, bug free, etc). that's the buzz on the street. To be very clear, I do not have any personal knowledge. So it isn't even IMHO; rather IOPO (In Other Peoples Opinion). Meaning, I know people who do. And as sure as I am sitting here, that HDMI board under development HAS to be placed into multiple products. Hence if Monoprice is doing it, so will others ("inexpensive" prepro that probably will have Dirac inside) eventually in a theater near you. Therefore, I most certainly will have a brand or two that will compete in the exact same price point. Those brands simply are more tight lipped about it. Therefore, I sincerely hope they kick butt and take names.

That said, I'm staring at my crystal ball as we speak. I predict multi-month pushouts before it is ready for prime time. The reality is a lot of prepro brands have learned their lesson about entering into the prepro market. People who are licking their wounds are, Simaudio, Mark Levinson, Sunfire, Parasound, Halcro, EAD, Citation, Chiro, Bel Canto, Tag Maclaran, Integra Research, Sherbourn, Meridian, and others.

I remember the conversation well. I was talking with Ron Fone (former owner of Sherbourn and past president of McIntosh Audio) about the new prepro they were releasing. I knew him very well and told him that he was crazy! He explained how he refused to release it until it was ABSOLUTELY prefect. And his technical guys were beating on the suppliers to iron out every single detail. After multi months delay, like an idiot, I bit and bought 4 of them. The automated distance on the mic didn't work and that was just the beginning. I sent 3 of the 4 back and eventually sold the one I had below cost to someone who wasn't going to use the HDMI. I even tossed in a 12 pack of Raid brand bug killer to sweeten the deal. Yea, Ron regretted that decision. I don't mean to be a Debbie downer. But go into it with open eyes. The secret will be who they partner with on that HDMI board and how they do. AVSers have a way of lathering each other up on the new __________. Forgetting that, the next question is sound quality: where did they compromise as compared to the Datasat design? Because they had to make compromises. As sure as I am sitting here, it's NOT going to have the SQ of the Datasat because there will be a lower cost Bill of Material. forgetting channel counts, it would be like calling a 7705, an 8805. It's not.

So as of now, I am not overly excited. Rather, intrigued. One day, someone is going to do it. Let's hope it sounds amazing and it works flawlessly. But history isn't on their side. Meanwhile, I'm waving my American flag and rooting for them! Remind me of this conversation at the end of the year. I want to eat crow!

Last edited by SteveH; 01-19-2019 at 06:34 AM.
post #3098 of 4250 Old 01-19-2019, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked: 2284
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
It is WAY too early to be gitty. Time to market and execution on a complex prepro is always about the selected partners. In this example, Monoprice doesn't design squat. Rather, they rely on contractors and or pre-existing products. And in this case, the design isn't done or it would have been out already.

So it boils down to the same old problem: how many engineers are working on it, who are they, and how important is the sales volume to make sure a Dish Network or an AppleTV for example, buys one of their prepros to play nice together. It's always about the laws of "physics" which is: 1) engineering horsepower (hours in the day and experience) + visibility to the other HDMI brands who plug into them (TV's, set top boxes, etc).

i understand the video board supplier that was selected doesn't have a good track record (time to market, bug free, etc). that's the buzz on the street. To be very clear, I do not have any personal knowledge. So it isn't even IMHO; rather IOPO (In Other Peoples Opinion). Meaning, I know people who do. And as sure as I am sitting here, that HDMI board under development HAS to be placed into multiple products. Hence if Monoprice is doing it, so will others ("inexpensive" prepro that probably will have Dirac inside) eventually in a theater near you. Therefore, I most certainly will have a brand or two that will compete in the exact same price point. Those brands simply are more tight lipped about it. Therefore, I sincerely hope they kick butt and take names.

That said, I'm staring at my crystal ball as we speak. I predict multi-month pushouts before it is ready for prime time. The reality is a lot of prepro brands have learned their lesson about entering into the prepro market. People who are licking their wounds are, Simaudio, Mark Levinson, Sunfire, Parasound, Halcro, EAD, Citation, Chiro, Bel Canto, Tag Maclaran, Integra Research, Sherbourn, Meridian, and others.

I remember the conversation well. I was talking with Ron Fone (former owner of Sherbourn and past president of McIntosh Audio) about the new prepro they were releasing. I knew him very well and told him that he was crazy! He explained how he refused to release it until it was ABSOLUTELY prefect. And his technical guys were beating on the suppliers to iron out every single detail. After multi months delay, like an idiot, I bit and bought 4 of them. The automated distance on the mic didn't work and that was just the beginning. I sent 3 of the 4 back and eventually sold the one I had below cost to someone who wasn't going to use the HDMI. I even tossed in a 12 pack of Raid brand bug killer to sweeten the deal. Yea, Ron regretted that decision. I don't mean to be a Debbie downer. But go into it with open eyes. The secret will be who they partner with on that HDMI board and how they do. AVSers have a way of lathering each other up on the new __________. Forgetting that, the next question is sound quality: where did they compromise as compared to the Datasat design? Because they had to make compromises. As sure as I am sitting here, it's NOT going to have the SQ of the Datasat because there will be a lower cost Bill of Material. forgetting channel counts, it would be like calling a 7705, an 8805. It's not.

So as of now, I am not overly excited. Rather, intrigued. One day, someone is going to do it. Let's hope it sounds amazing and it works flawlessly. But history isn't on their side. Meanwhile, I'm waving my American flag and rooting for them! Remind me of this conversation at the end of the year. I want to eat crow!
The owner of Parasound told me that their last pre/pro almost bankrupted the company and he vowed never to make another one. Wise move on his part!
SteveH, wyliec2, fhidayat and 2 others like this.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
post #3099 of 4250 Old 01-19-2019, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
The owner of Parasound told me that their last pre/pro almost bankrupted the company and he vowed never to make another one. Wise move on his part!
That's the same conversation I had with the owners of Bel Canto. Or when B&K went down for the count. Pre HDMI, B&K was producing prepros that were flying out the door. The REF70 which was their 1st HDMI piece, sounded AMAZING. But it eventually and quickly brought that company to their knees. Ed who was their head engineer (rest in peace) told me that they got back about 25% of them because of handshaking problems. B&K bought TV's, DVD players and set top boxes. They tried patching firmware after firmware. In some instances, they proved that this-or-that company broke protocol and it wasn't their fault. They could prove it. But dealers and customers didn't care: all they know was their old _____________ didn't do it. So B&K lost their butt and was sold for some remaining inventory. There are a dozen more stories like this one. It will be interesting to see how it goes.

Back when I was a process engineer I use to have a saying: everything works on paper. On paper, it's simple. Marantz makes it look simple because they have 285 engineers on staff because it takes a massive amount of resources. I saw the machine at work when I was in Japan and at the factory. The 8805 can only exist this flawlessly (no; it isn't perfect) because costs are amortized over many high volume platforms.

post #3100 of 4250 Old 01-19-2019, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post

Back when I was a process engineer I use to have a saying: everything works on paper. On paper, it's simple. Marantz makes it look simple because they have 285 engineers on staff because it takes a massive amount of resources. I saw the machine at work when I was in Japan and at the factory. The 8805 can only exist this flawlessly (no; it isn't perfect) because costs are amortized over many high volume platforms.
It is interesting to note that some companies nowadays have adopted a business model of "Customer Funded Research & Development" for their new products.
love_that_sound likes this.

Last edited by Irwinroad; 01-19-2019 at 11:22 AM.
post #3101 of 4250 Old 01-19-2019, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6661 Post(s)
Liked: 6644
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post
I hope so too (it goes by fast )

I have about 4 and 1/2 months left of my 50's, and holding (it's kind of a weird and scary thing to me). Just did my 40th high school reunion and all that (won't do another either). And, yes, a few set's of speakers, receivers, amp's, players, CD's, LP's, (but have not had a chance to own any B&W's yet) etc.,...It has been a ride though. I can say I have had the opportunity to work on a few (NASA) space programs, and one (CASSINI) where my name was etched on a gold plate (along with a few hundred other engineers), which ultimately flew into Saturn's atmosphere and crashed-landed)
We are not getting any younger thats for sure. Ailment's are now a way of life Moving around heavy speakers and amps is no longer an easy task, I hate the thought of moving these Swan 2.3B's and/or window shads, lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0028.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	618.3 KB
ID:	2513174   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0027.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	645.2 KB
ID:	2513176  
gsr and audiofan1 like this.
post #3102 of 4250 Old 01-19-2019, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 227
I had a Marantz "porthole" receiver a few years ago - Looks exactly like today's flagship AV8005.

That old receiver had a really nasty problem - the IR remote didn't work unless you were directly in front of the IR receiver.

Has Marantz corrected this problem? (Sound and Vision's review hints that it's still a problem).
post #3103 of 4250 Old 01-19-2019, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post
I had a Marantz "porthole" receiver a few years ago - Looks exactly like today's flagship AV8005.

That old receiver had a really nasty problem - the IR remote didn't work unless you were directly in front of the IR receiver.

Has Marantz corrected this problem? (Sound and Vision's review hints that it's still a problem).
It still has a narrow cone of IR range. That’s what IR extenders are for, which is a fairly straightforward solution that allows me to enjoy my world class 8805. My other components enjoy the IR blaster as well. All of my components are racked on the screen wall but 10+ ft to the right of the center channel. This creates an extreme angle to the front of these components (and their IR sensors) - no issues with IR!
wilbur_the_goose likes this.

Last edited by Karl Maga; 01-19-2019 at 01:29 PM.
post #3104 of 4250 Old 01-19-2019, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Marantz AV8805 15.2 XLR Pre/Pro Official Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Maga View Post
It still has a narrow cone of IR range. That’s what IR extenders are for, which is a fairly straightforward solution that allows me to enjoy my world class 8805. My other components enjoy the IR blaster as well. All of my components are racked 10+ ft to the right of the center channel - no issues with IR!

Most people are using control systems now so IR is a non issue since you can run an IR cable straight in to the back of the unit or use RS-232 or network protocols for control. I use URC Total Control and run an RS-232 cable from my control processor straight in to the 8805. I also use the Audyssey app to run sound set up and I use the Marantz app occasionally for individual changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wilbur_the_goose likes this.

Last edited by george1906; 01-19-2019 at 01:28 PM.
post #3105 of 4250 Old 01-20-2019, 03:32 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
External speaker switch?

Hello
My first post here on the forum.

I was thinking if it would be possible to use an external speaker
switch together with Marantz av8805.
One that is automatic and controlled via 12 volt trigger from the processor,
like Niles Audio SPK-1 speaker switch.
The 12 volt trigger would be based on audio format, On when it's Atmos and off when it's Auro 3D.

The advantage would be to be able to mount Dolby Atmos speakers in the ceiling
and Auro 3D speakers above the 5.0 layout, at the same time.
And let the processor switch automatically between all six height speakers for the different formats.
With other words, all speakers for height could be mounted completely according
to the Atmos and Auro 3D specification, without any compromise.
I know that it can switch between two channels, but then extra amplifier channels are needed.
With a speaker switch, no extra channels are needed on the amplifier,
the only thing that is needed is extra speakers.

The problem is with room correction, would it be possible to change the Marantz av8805
software to measure all speakers and save different curves in memory,
or is there not enough room for it.
How much memory does Marantz av8805 have for room correction?

Do you think Marantz would add such a feature if there were no hardware limitations?
And how many of you who have a marantz av8805 would use that capability
to properly place all speakers for the different audio formats?

Thanks.
post #3106 of 4250 Old 01-20-2019, 04:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I see the new pream monolith but last 2 weeks I buy one power amplifier monolith 5x200watts for my cinema room,I takouf my xpa5 and I put monolith exactly in the place to my xpa5,same place same cable allsame,when I start the monolith immidiateley have the noice in 4 speakers ,whit they emotiva I have never noice in my speakers,that the problem whit monolith amplifier,many peoples have this problem.

I never buy other monolith product.

marantz av 8805, 13 chanels, emotiva 2 xpa 5 gen1,1 emotiva xpa3 gen3, 7.4.6,4 speakers monitor 11 ,2 paradigm studio 100 v2,4 ceillings speakers ss82w sweet spot earthquake ,2 earthquake ecs-8.0,1 center Paradigm cc390,4 subs klipsch r-sw112 sw.antimod 8033 perfect bass kit paradigm, Buttkicker amplificateur lfe 1000 watts, , tv oled 65e6p,, room 12x25x7,bluray player oppo bdp 203,4coolers ac infinity s9 fan.
post #3107 of 4250 Old 01-20-2019, 04:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Anyone have issues with Audyssey on this processor? I ran it at all 8 locations before finishing and I don't recall it having set my levels so low in the past. I'm going to attempt to re-run it today and see if I get something closer to what I feel it should be, but even when watching TV in multi-stereo I have to turn the volume pretty good. I may also break out my old radioshack meter and run test tones that way too in order to get a better understanding on what it's thinking REF is or should be. Additionally, the subwoofer is almost non-existent and to touch on that a little more, I had to run it at less than a 1/4 gain before Audyssey would continue with the setup; it kept saying it was too loud. I never had that issue in the past. Could it be the preouts aren't as powerful on the 8805 as the XMC?

8805 connected to the amps via XLR cables and one RCA going to sub.

Klipsch RF7ii's (full range) are hooked to their own Emo XPA 100
Klipsch RC64ii center (80hz) and two RS62ii (120hz IIRC) are hooked up to my Emo XPA 5.

Eventually I'd like to run more cabling and set up my two other RS62ii's and my other subwoofer, but if this is what Audssesy does now I might manually calibrate everything. I haven't used Audssesy since my 14' and prior Onkyo/Integra units, but never had it set things so low.

Sorry if this is confusing. I'm typing this out on my phone.

Thanks all!

US ARMY: 11C4P08 (RET)
post #3108 of 4250 Old 01-20-2019, 05:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limp Fox View Post
Anyone have issues with Audyssey on this processor? I ran it at all 8 locations before finishing and I don't recall it having set my levels so low in the past. I'm going to attempt to re-run it today and see if I get something closer to what I feel it should be, but even when watching TV in multi-stereo I have to turn the volume pretty good. I may also break out my old radioshack meter and run test tones that way too in order to get a better understanding on what it's thinking REF is or should be. Additionally, the subwoofer is almost non-existent and to touch on that a little more, I had to run it at less than a 1/4 gain before Audyssey would continue with the setup; it kept saying it was too loud. I never had that issue in the past. Could it be the preouts aren't as powerful on the 8805 as the XMC?

8805 connected to the amps via XLR cables and one RCA going to sub.

Klipsch RF7ii's (full range) are hooked to their own Emo XPA 100
Klipsch RC64ii center (80hz) and two RS62ii (120hz IIRC) are hooked up to my Emo XPA 5.

Eventually I'd like to run more cabling and set up my two other RS62ii's and my other subwoofer, but if this is what Audssesy does now I might manually calibrate everything. I haven't used Audssesy since my 14' and prior Onkyo/Integra units, but never had it set things so low.

Sorry if this is confusing. I'm typing this out on my phone.

Thanks all!
Are all of your speakers set to small? If not then your LFE channel which is directed to the sub is not putting anything out. Even if you think your speakers are large set them too small and start by betting the crossover to all of the speakers at 80Hz and the LFE to 120Hz. Run running audyessy put your first mic spot dead in the middle of your couch or chair and make sure that the mic is not right up next to a pillow it needs to be about 3" above. Then on the second mic measurement 1' to the left of the MLP, third 1' to the right , 4 mic 1' forward of each of the other three and your last should be about 6" left and right of the MLP and 1' back from the 6" spot. sub should be set so audyessy reads about -11.5 when done so you can bump the trim in the 8805 to -5.5 to add more thump to the LFE. This how I set mine up and it sounds great every time, I do a few other tweaks but that is the gist of it. Even before audyessy is run subs need to level matched with your mains or LFE is not going to sound right.
post #3109 of 4250 Old 01-20-2019, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-T View Post
Are all of your speakers set to small? If not then your LFE channel which is directed to the sub is not putting anything out. Even if you think your speakers are large set them too small and start by betting the crossover to all of the speakers at 80Hz and the LFE to 120Hz. Run running audyessy put your first mic spot dead in the middle of your couch or chair and make sure that the mic is not right up next to a pillow it needs to be about 3" above. Then on the second mic measurement 1' to the left of the MLP, third 1' to the right , 4 mic 1' forward of each of the other three and your last should be about 6" left and right of the MLP and 1' back from the 6" spot. sub should be set so audyessy reads about -11.5 when done so you can bump the trim in the 8805 to -5.5 to add more thump to the LFE. This how I set mine up and it sounds great every time, I do a few other tweaks but that is the gist of it. Even before audyessy is run subs need to level matched with your mains or LFE is not going to sound right.
Thank you for the reply. I'll be rerunning this once the kids leave for Church and the house is silent. I always assumed that you'd want your front, if large such as the RF7's, set to large and you'd still get LFE to the sub, interesting... Furthermore, I thought I read awhile back that some professional calibrators even set the fronts to Large + LFE? Perhaps this is geared towards manual calibrating and not when using a room correction software.

Looking at my menu in it's current state it shows the following:
Front - Large
Center - Small
Surround - Small

The levels are interesting:
All the speaker levels are set to -12db
SW - -1.5db

Crossover:
Front - Full Band
Center - 40hz
Surround - 40hz
*I could've sworn both center and surround were at 120hz after initially running the software and that I changed the center to 80hz.

Attached are the graphs. My room isn't ideal as I have two openings in the 24'L x 20'W room with hardwood flooring and no sound treatments or throw rugs to help. Hopefully rerunning the software will yield better results. But yea, I need room treatments

In your opinion, what's the best way to get the sub matched to the fronts?

I'll report back once I rerun the software.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ref Fronts.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	912.2 KB
ID:	2513438   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ref Center.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	874.5 KB
ID:	2513440   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ref Surround.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	838.3 KB
ID:	2513442   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flat Fronts.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	901.6 KB
ID:	2513444   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flat Center.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	884.2 KB
ID:	2513446  

Name:	Flat Surround.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	913.5 KB
ID:	2513448  

post #3110 of 4250 Old 01-20-2019, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Quote:
Thank you for the reply. I'll be rerunning this once the kids leave for Church and the house is silent. I always assumed that you'd want your front, if large such as the RF7's, set to large and you'd still get LFE to the sub, interesting... Furthermore, I thought I read awhile back that some professional calibrators even set the fronts to Large + LFE? Perhaps this is geared towards manual calibrating and not when using a room correction software.

Front - Large
Center - Small
Surround - Small

SW - -1.5db

Crossover:
Front - Full Band
Center - 40hz
Surround - 40hz
*I could've sworn both center and surround were at 120hz after initially running the software and that I changed the center to 80hz.

Attached are the graphs. My room isn't ideal as I have two openings in the 24'L x 20'W room with hardwood flooring and no sound treatments or throw rugs to help. Hopefully rerunning the software will yield better results. But yea, I need room treatments

check out this info on Audyessy. there is a thread on it. okay the section under FAQ about maxed out trim levels because it sounds like you have them and that need to be corrected. This page is also a tutorial pretty much, if you have questions ask them in this thread and the guys on it are great and get you squares away.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...art-ii.html#e6
post #3111 of 4250 Old 01-20-2019, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2341 Post(s)
Liked: 2912
Quote:

Front - Large
Center - Small
Surround - Small

SW - -1.5db

Crossover:
Front - Full Band
Center - 40hz
Surround - 40hz

All levels set to -12db indicates your gain is to high and switching to RCA 's may give you wiggle room seeing you can't lower the gain on the amp,whats happening is your bottoming out the max or lowest level on the Marantz which is -12db and not knowing how much further Audyssey can correct, also lower the subs gain to get a reading of say -7-6db to avoid clipping the sub amp ifyou decide to boost the sub channel by 3db after calibration. And yes you want to set your mains to 80hz as well
post #3112 of 4250 Old 01-20-2019, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post
All levels set to -12db indicates your gain is to high and switching to RCA 's may give you wiggle room seeing you can't lower the gain on the amp,whats happening is your bottoming out the max or lowest level on the Marantz which is -12db and not knowing how much further Audyssey can correct, also lower the subs gain to get a reading of say -7-6db to avoid clipping the sub amp ifyou decide to boost the sub channel by 3db after calibration. And yes you want to set your mains to 80hz as well
I use xlr attenuators to get a better match.

Sony A1E, Marantz 8805, Montis, Bryston,
post #3113 of 4250 Old 01-20-2019, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
check out this info on Audyessy. there is a thread on it. okay the section under FAQ about maxed out trim levels because it sounds like you have them and that need to be corrected. This page is also a tutorial pretty much, if you have questions ask them in this thread and the guys on it are great and get you squares away.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...art-ii.html#e6
Thank you VERY much. I'll be sure to look through the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post
Thank you for the reply. Now that you mention it I'm sure this is my problem because after rerunning Audyssey I still have -12db across all speakers and -4.5db for the sub. I never ran XLR cables until I had my XMC-1 which explains why I never had an issue with trim levels. I never knew that they'd cause these issues. So now I either need to break out my RCAs or purchase attenuators for each XLR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post
I use xlr attenuators to get a better match.
Thank you for your reply. I read a review on partsexpress where a fellow enthusiast had the same problem and had to purchase these. After doing so all is well. I guess I need to figure out my next step. I don't feel like spending money on them since I have a bunch of new RCAs, but the Japanese Canare's I have are pretty pricey, especially because I ordered custom lengths.

Again, Thank you all.

post #3114 of 4250 Old 01-20-2019, 03:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked: 943
Quote:
Thank you VERY much. I'll be sure to look through the thread.

Thank you for the reply. Now that you mention it I'm sure this is my problem because after rerunning Audyssey I still have -12db across all speakers and -4.5db for the sub. I never ran XLR cables until I had my XMC-1 which explains why I never had an issue with trim levels. I never knew that they'd cause these issues. So now I either need to break out my RCAs or purchase attenuators for each XLR.

Thank you for your reply. I read a review on partsexpress where a fellow enthusiast had the same problem and had to purchase these. After doing so all is well. I guess I need to figure out my next step. I don't feel like spending money on them since I have a bunch of new RCAs, but the Japanese Canare's I have are pretty pricey, especially because I ordered custom lengths.

Again, Thank you all.

What amps are you using? I don’t have this issue with my Parasound Halo or ATI ncore amps using XLR cables.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7.4.6 system: Processors:Marantz 8805 || Xilica XP4080 Amps: Parasound A31 and ATI AT528NC & AT526NC n-core ||Speakers: Procella P8 LCR, Procella P5 for surround & ceiling
Subs: JTR Captivator subs: One S2, Two RS2, One S1, 2 Seaton Submersive (FOR SALE)
Screen: 2.40:1 Seymour XD Acoustically Transparent, 128" diagonal / 118" wide || Projector: JVC X570/RS420
post #3115 of 4250 Old 01-20-2019, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farsider3000 View Post
What amps are you using? I don’t have this issue with my Parasound Halo or ATI ncore amps using XLR cables.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I’m using two Emotiva XPA 100’s - Gen2 and an XPA 5 - Gen1. They don’t have any gain adjustments and the Gen1 XPA 5 IIRC has more gain than it’s predecessors.

I’m just going to swap out the XLRs tomorrow for some RCAs and rerun everything. If all is fine I’ll keep it that way until I order those adapters.
post #3116 of 4250 Old 01-21-2019, 02:50 AM

Mentioned: 739 Post(s)
Quoted: 22557 Post(s)
Liked: 12278
Quote:
1. When there is a dedicated sub in the setup, the LFE is ALWAYS (and only) passed to the sub, regardless of whether the Front L/R are set to LARGE or SMALL.
2. The first mic position should be at the MLP which isn't necessarily "the middle of the couch."
3. Sub should be set so setting is around -6dB such that after a +5dB adjustment it is closer to 0dB to ensure the sub powers on if the AUTO setting is being used.
audiofan1 likes this.
post #3117 of 4250 Old 01-21-2019, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

I reran Audyssey with RCAs and my results were still similar showing the speakers at -12db except for the Front L and Surround L coming in at 11.5db (Sub still at -5db). With that said I'm wondering which attenuators I should get since there are many, -30db, -20db, -12db, etc. I wont muddy up this thread anymore since it's not an issue with the processor.

Thanks everyone.

post #3118 of 4250 Old 01-21-2019, 09:22 AM

Mentioned: 739 Post(s)
Quoted: 22557 Post(s)
Liked: 12278
Quote:
I reran Audyssey with RCAs and my results were still similar showing the speakers at -12db except for the Front L and Surround L coming in at 11.5db (Sub still at -5db). With that said I'm wondering which attenuators I should get since there are many, -30db, -20db, -12db, etc. I wont muddy up this thread anymore since it's not an issue with the processor.

Thanks everyone.
-12dB attenuators are the ones most often recommended.
post #3119 of 4250 Old 01-21-2019, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Audyssey has always given me issues. Have had Integra processor, and Marantz processors plus Denon receivers and Marantz receivers. Currently just using a AV8801 with a McIntosh MC207 with new Revel Concerta2 F36 speakers as mains and 2 Revel subs.

Had a huge dedicated theater with Klipsch Ref 7's 4-15" subs and my bedroom system is a new Marantz receiver and some Klipsch Ref speakers. I follow the set up...moving the mic on my mic boom stand foot to the left and right and finish up with small 6" side to side front and back movements.

I get zero low end and muted dull lifeless highs. Revel and Klipsch speakers doesn't matter.

So I just copy the eq graphs and other info and go out of Audyssey and do everything manual and tweak the eq graphs to taste. I only seems to need to touch the highs and the LFE sub level a touch. Odyssey would sound nice if they didn't dull the highs so much but you CAN NOT change that with Audyssey ON....bummer!

For my next pre-pro I want to find something that uses anything else besides Audyssey.
skypop likes this.

Main room McIntosh MC207 Amps....Marantz AV8801 Processor....Revel F36 Concerta2 And Revel Subs....Panasonic BluRay BDT500....Sony 85"4k
Listening Room Schiit Saga+ Pre-Amp....JBL 308P Active Studio Monitors....Apple MacBook Pro....Audioquest Dragon Fly DAC....Mogami Cables....Sony 65"
post #3120 of 4250 Old 01-21-2019, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrums View Post
Audyssey has always given me issues. Have had Integra processor, and Marantz processors plus Denon receivers and Marantz receivers. Currently just using a AV8801 with a McIntosh MC207 with new Revel Concerta2 F36 speakers as mains and 2 Revel subs.

Had a huge dedicated theater with Klipsch Ref 7's 4-15" subs and my bedroom system is a new Marantz receiver and some Klipsch Ref speakers. I follow the set up...moving the mic on my mic boom stand foot to the left and right and finish up with small 6" side to side front and back movements.

I get zero low end and muted dull lifeless highs. Revel and Klipsch speakers doesn't matter.

So I just copy the eq graphs and other info and go out of Audyssey and do everything manual and tweak the eq graphs to taste. I only seems to need to touch the highs and the LFE sub level a touch. Odyssey would sound nice if they didn't dull the highs so much but you CAN NOT change that with Audyssey ON....bummer!

For my next pre-pro I want to find something that uses anything else besides Audyssey.
I don't use Audessey either,no matter how many times I try it messes up the sound of my JBLs. It's not to difficult to get a great sound out of your speakers if you take the time to work with them instead relying on Audessey,just takes patience.

2 Channel: Fi 2A3 mono's,Hovland HP100,Technics SP10MK2/SME/Benz....HT:126" Seymour AT Screen,JBL Studio 590's for LCR, Side and Rear Surrounds. Jbl SCS8'S for Fr Heights, and Rear Heights,2 Epik Empire Subs,2 Behringer B1200D Midbass Subs,Marantz 7702MK2,Proceed Amp-5,Outlaw 7125,Panasonic UB820 ,Toshiba HD35,JVC RS600. Black Velvet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page