Marantz AV8805 15.2 XLR Pre/Pro Official Thread - Page 125 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1814Likes

post #3721 of 3887 Old 05-19-2019, 07:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1409 Post(s)
Liked: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCLV View Post
Yes, the 8805 sits in the same location as the old 8801. I'm currently running class D amplification so nothing around it is getting warm, but just in case I have a small computer fan running on low speed behind it blowing air under the 8805 and I have lots of open space around the back. I do have a glass door in front, but tend to keep that slightly open when I'm running things at a spirited level. I check occasionally and I've never noticed it warm enough that I'd have any concerns. I don't believe heat is an issue.

I've tried a couple of 1m and 2m HDMI cables from different companies.

Haven't tried the optical route for a couple of reasons. The 4K AppleTV is HDMI only. Same story when I switched to the 4K Comcast box. They seem to have dropped everything but HDMI. I appreciate the offer for the cables. I have a couple of SPDIF and Toslink cables around the house.....but all of my current sources have dropped them.

I tried calling Marantz support a couple of weeks ago, but that wasn't not helpful. Interesting to hear you had a similar problem and then the board failed. I have to reboot my cable box almost every time. I think maybe once every two weeks it will work without a reboot and I can't ever remember not needing to restart the ATV.

I was talking about using fiber optic hdmi not optical cable for audio

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7.4.6 system: Processors:Marantz 8805 || Xilica XP4080 Amps: Parasound A31 and ATI AT528NC & AT526NC n-core ||Speakers: Procella P8 LCR, Procella P5 for surround & ceiling
Subs: JTR Captivator S2, JTR Captivator S1, 2 Seaton Submersive (dual 15")
Screen: 2.40:1 Seymour XD Acoustically Transparent, 128" diagonal / 118" wide || Projector: JVC X570/RS420
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3722 of 3887 Old 05-19-2019, 11:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCLV View Post
Thanks......I do have it set to Enhanced.
Don't know what cables you've tried but get one of these very inexpensive certified cables from Monoprice. If these don't cure the issue then you have a timing handshake issue I'm not sure what can be done other than what you've done so far. Maybe ask comcast for newer or different box?

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15427

Sony XBR75-X940D, Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD-BD, Xfinity X1 Voice DVR, Marantz AV-7703 Pre/Pro w/Auro, (3) Adcom GFA-545II amps, (2) Adcom GFA-535II amps for ATMOS speakers.
HSU Research 5.2 speaker system (4) HB-1 MK2, (1) HC-1 MK2, (2) STF-2,
Klipsch HT500 satalites (4) for ceiling mounted ATMOS playback
DIY Linux desktop w/Clementine bit perfect media center. Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC
post #3723 of 3887 Old 05-20-2019, 06:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Try each of the other HDMI inputs on the AVP to see if one works better than the current one. Also, to mitigate HDMI handshake issues, power on the TV first, pause 5 seconds, AVP, pause 5 seconds, source.
UPDATE:

I reprogrammed the startup sequence of my Harmony Elite to the order you suggested and included the 5 second delays. Happy to report that when I tried it this morning everything was working as desired. I'll keep testing over the next few days and if it continues to work then I'm going to try lowering the delays down a second at a time.

Thanks for everyones suggestions. Much appreciated.
DOC1963 and Sal1950 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3724 of 3887 Old 05-28-2019, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Dumb question time. I am upgrading to a JVC 4K projector this week after upgrading to an 8805 a few weeks ago. I still have my oppo 103 in my set up. My question will the 8805 upscale blu Ray with my JVC or do I have to have to have a 4K source as well. I’ve never had 4K before so I hadn’t thought about this issue before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(2) GoldenEar References, GoldenEar SuperCenter XXL, (4) GoldenEar HTR 7000 (atmos), (2) GoldenEar SuperSat 50’s, (2) GoldenEar Triton 7 (rears), Dual Seaton Sumbersive HP (Master / Slave), JVC NX5, Dalite 119 inch UTC, Panasonic BP - UB 820, Marantz 8805, Emotiva XPR 2, Emotiva XPA 9 (gen 3) Panamax 5102, Harmony Elite, 4K Apple TV
post #3725 of 3887 Old 05-28-2019, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 4667 Post(s)
Liked: 4849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ediddy View Post
Dumb question time. I am upgrading to a JVC 4K projector this week after upgrading to an 8805 a few weeks ago. I still have my oppo 103 in my set up. My question will the 8805 upscale blu Ray with my JVC or do I have to have to have a 4K source as well. I’ve never had 4K before so I hadn’t thought about this issue before.
I wouldn't use the 8805 to scale. The Oppo is capable of scaling to 4K and almost certainly has better video processing than the Marantz, or you can simply send the unscaled 1080p signal to the projector and let it do the scaling. Compare both ways and decide which looks better.

That said, I assume you'll want to start introducing 4K content if you're getting a 4K projector, so I would advise you to get the Panasonic UB820 4K player which is the best 4K disc player for projectors due to its unique HDR "optimizer" processing. It's best in class at mapping HDR metadata to the capabilities of the display, and since projectors don't have enough light output for HDR it's important to get this right or the picture can look dark and washed out.
farsider3000 likes this.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #3726 of 3887 Old 05-28-2019, 09:44 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
I wouldn't use the 8805 to scale. The Oppo is capable of scaling to 4K and almost certainly has better video processing than the Marantz, or you can simply send the unscaled 1080p signal to the projector and let it do the scaling. Compare both ways and decide which looks better.

That said, I assume you'll want to start introducing 4K content if you're getting a 4K projector, so I would advise you to get the Panasonic UB820 4K player which is the best 4K disc player for projectors due to its unique HDR "optimizer" processing. It's best in class at mapping HDR metadata to the capabilities of the display, and since projectors don't have enough light output for HDR it's important to get this right or the picture can look dark and washed out.

Thanks for the insights. I am definitely getting the UB820 I’m a little broke right now lol. I moved my timeline up 3 or 4 months. I have an APPLE TV 4K and wanted to get the panny first but I jumped the gun.

(2) GoldenEar References, GoldenEar SuperCenter XXL, (4) GoldenEar HTR 7000 (atmos), (2) GoldenEar SuperSat 50’s, (2) GoldenEar Triton 7 (rears), Dual Seaton Sumbersive HP (Master / Slave), JVC NX5, Dalite 119 inch UTC, Panasonic BP - UB 820, Marantz 8805, Emotiva XPR 2, Emotiva XPA 9 (gen 3) Panamax 5102, Harmony Elite, 4K Apple TV
post #3727 of 3887 Old 05-28-2019, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 4667 Post(s)
Liked: 4849
Sounds good, upscaled Blu-rays from the Oppo will still look phenomenal!

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #3728 of 3887 Old 05-31-2019, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hi together,
I have a issue with my rca outputs. I have the front speakers on xlr and the surround on rca. This worked till few days ago. Now I have no sound on the rca. I tried with the test in speaker setup tonmake sure its not from the source. I tried to connect the surround to the rca front and configured the front to rca, to check, if its only the surround channel. Weird enough, i got no sound on the rca connected surround but still on the xlr connected front speaker.
Any ideas?
Thx a lot!

Gesendet von meinem SM-G960F mit Tapatalk
post #3729 of 3887 Old 05-31-2019, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidjazz1 View Post
Hi together,
I have a issue with my rca outputs. I have the front speakers on xlr and the surround on rca. This worked till few days ago. Now I have no sound on the rca. I tried with the test in speaker setup tonmake sure its not from the source. I tried to connect the surround to the rca front and configured the front to rca, to check, if its only the surround channel. Weird enough, i got no sound on the rca connected surround but still on the xlr connected front speaker.
Any ideas?
Thx a lot!

Didn’t quite follow your test but I’m assuming you’re using a different amp for your surrounds then you are for your fronts so are you sure the amp for surrounds is working?

Easy check would be to run rca out for fronts to amp for surrounds.

-
Upgraditus is a real disease
post #3730 of 3887 Old 05-31-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-smith View Post
Didn’t quite follow your test but I’m assuming you’re using a different amp for your surrounds then you are for your fronts so are you sure the amp for surrounds is working?

Easy check would be to run rca out for fronts to amp for surrounds.

Hi t-smith,
Sorry, yes youre right i have separate amps for front and surround and they work correctly. To the test, i switched from xlr to rca for the front output. Let the front amp connected to the front xlr, connected the surround spesker to the front rca output, to check if the surround output doesn't work. So, from my point if view, the processor should only send a signal to the rca ftont output, but instead he sends it still to the xlr.

post #3731 of 3887 Old 05-31-2019, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Marantz AV8805 15.2 XLR Pre/Pro Official Thread

Quote:
Hi t-smith,
Sorry, yes youre right i have separate amps for front and surround and they work correctly. To the test, i switched from xlr to rca for the front output. Let the front amp connected to the front xlr, connected the surround spesker to the front rca output, to check if the surround output doesn't work. So, from my point if view, the processor should only send a signal to the rca ftont output, but instead he sends it still to the xlr.

If you’re trying to test rca output from Marantz to rca input on amp then it would be best to disconnect the xlr input otherwise you’re sending two different signals from the Marantz to same input on the amp...I’m actually surprised you got anything out of the amp with it like that

I’d recommend connecting rca surround output from Marantz to rca input on amp that you use for fronts and disconnect the xlr to confirm you get surround output from Marantz rca output. Then do the same with front rca output to surround amp rca input.

-
post #3732 of 3887 Old 05-31-2019, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Quote:
Hi t-smith,

If you’re trying to test rca output from Marantz to rca input on amp then it would be best to disconnect the xlr input otherwise you’re sending two different signals from the Marantz to same input on the amp...I’m actually surprised you got anything out of the amp with it like that

I’d recommend connecting rca surround output from Marantz to rca input on amp that you use for fronts and disconnect the xlr to confirm you get surround output from Marantz rca output. Then do the same with front rca output to surround amp rca input.

Are you moving the selector switch for RCA or XLR?

Reggie Basement: Sony 75" 4K 940D/Marantz AV8802A & MM8077 & MM7055/GoldenEar:Reference (Front) Triton Ones(Rear),/SuperCenter XXL center channel/ 4 GoldenEar Atmos Invisa 650/Oppo BDP-205/Directv HS-17 and C61K/Roku 4K Family Room:LG 65" OLED/Marantz AV8802A & MM8077/ Vandersteen Treo Front/ GoldEar SuperSat60 Surround/ Directv HS-17 and C61K
post #3733 of 3887 Old 05-31-2019, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 99
so I have 2 outlaw 5 channel amps, a Marantz 7703 pre and i'm wanting to upgrade to either the 8805, 7705 or maybe even the flagship Denon 8500H, features aside, is there a significant sound quality difference between the 7705 and 8805 ? ( its a bit subjective with many variables i know) I'm also wondering if the Denon Flagship pre outs sound as good as the 8805? if this subject has been beaten to death my apologies.
post #3734 of 3887 Old 06-05-2019, 07:01 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1876 Post(s)
Liked: 2275
Ran into a relatively minor, but annoying, issue last night... I went to watch something and the volume level seemed extremely low. I switched amplifiers recently, so my first thought was that the new amps might have an issue, though it would be add for all 5 to have the same issue at the exact same time. After some investigation, I discovered that my speaker level settings had either reverted to a previous calibration or possibly just to "random" levels - instead of ~+2dB all around, they were all ~-9dB all around. Since I had used the iOS Audyssey app, it was a simple matter of re-uploading my calibration to the 8805 once I figured out what the issue was so the solution just took a few minutes. No idea what might have changed the settings though.
post #3735 of 3887 Old 06-05-2019, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macroblocker View Post
so I have 2 outlaw 5 channel amps, a Marantz 7703 pre and i'm wanting to upgrade to either the 8805, 7705 or maybe even the flagship Denon 8500H, features aside, is there a significant sound quality difference between the 7705 and 8805 ? ( its a bit subjective with many variables i know) I'm also wondering if the Denon Flagship pre outs sound as good as the 8805? if this subject has been beaten to death my apologies.
I'd bet $50 you couldn't hear the difference in a blind listening test! They both measure near identical as are the published specs.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...rocessor.6926/

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...urements.3485/
Macroblocker likes this.

Sony XBR75-X940D, Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD-BD, Xfinity X1 Voice DVR, Marantz AV-7703 Pre/Pro w/Auro, (3) Adcom GFA-545II amps, (2) Adcom GFA-535II amps for ATMOS speakers.
HSU Research 5.2 speaker system (4) HB-1 MK2, (1) HC-1 MK2, (2) STF-2,
Klipsch HT500 satalites (4) for ceiling mounted ATMOS playback
DIY Linux desktop w/Clementine bit perfect media center. Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC
post #3736 of 3887 Old 06-05-2019, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macroblocker View Post
Unless you want to more features then I doubt you would get much of an improvement going from 7703 to a 7705. Going from 7703 to 8805 is a fairly large upgrade in almost all areas. However, it all depends on if you Outlaw amp matched with your speakers are transparent enough to really appreciate the difference. Just take a look at the internals of the 7705 vs. 8805 and you will see how much more discrete circuitry the 8805 has (especial HDAMs).

Form my experience, comparing with the Denon, the Marantz will sound warmer and more musical. It's up to you which sound signature you like. If you plan on keeping your Outlaw. amp, then my vote would be getting the Marantz 8805 vs. Denon 8500.
post #3737 of 3887 Old 06-05-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiguy3 View Post
Hi, do you mean the SW switchbin the setup?

post #3738 of 3887 Old 06-05-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:

Hi T-smith,
I tested the setup with no success. I have now connected the surround amp with the xlr outs, where i get sound. If I switch to rca, then I logically shouldn't hear anything on xlr correct? So, I still have sound on the xlr and when i connect the rca again, I get no sound. As I said the processor gives the signal always to the xlr, no matter what i selected in the setup menu.

post #3739 of 3887 Old 06-05-2019, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Marantz AV8805 15.2 XLR Pre/Pro Official Thread

Quote:
Hi T-smith,
I tested the setup with no success. I have now connected the surround amp with the xlr outs, where i get sound. If I switch to rca, then I logically shouldn't hear anything on xlr correct? So, I still have sound on the xlr and when i connect the rca again, I get no sound. As I said the processor gives the signal always to the xlr, no matter what i selected in the setup menu.

What switch are you setting? The other poster was referring to a switch on the amp as most have a switch for rca or xlr to tell the amp what input to the amp you are using. If your amp has this switch and it’s set to xlr then you correctly wouldn’t get any audio when using rca input.

Does your amp have switches for rca / xlr input?

-

Last edited by T-smith; 06-05-2019 at 11:50 AM.
post #3740 of 3887 Old 06-05-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
What switch are you setting? The other poster was referring to a switch on the amp as most have a switch for rca or xlr to tell the amp what input to the amp you are using. If your amp has this switch and it’s set to xlr then you correctly wouldn’t get any audio when using rca input.

Does your amp have switches for rca / xlr input?

Ok understand, you don't know the AV8805. As i said this is done in the setup menu

post #3741 of 3887 Old 06-05-2019, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Hi T-smith,

Just in case make sure you dont mix up surround and rear surround also, probably not the case but mentioning it anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
acidjazz1 likes this.
post #3742 of 3887 Old 06-05-2019, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ok understand, you don't know the AV8805. As i said this is done in the setup menu

You don’t know what you’re doing and can’t explain anything yet this is how you respond to someone trying to help you.

I’ve had the 8805 for over a year.

Good luck!

junior00027 likes this.

-
post #3743 of 3887 Old 06-05-2019, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

T-smith wasnt talking about switches on the 8805 but on the power amplifier, many of them have a physical switch to let it take XLR or RCA.

acidjazz1 likes this.
post #3744 of 3887 Old 06-05-2019, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Quote:
Hi, do you mean the SW switchbin the setup?

There are switches on the back of the amps to select rca or XLR for each input

Reggie Basement: Sony 75" 4K 940D/Marantz AV8802A & MM8077 & MM7055/GoldenEar:Reference (Front) Triton Ones(Rear),/SuperCenter XXL center channel/ 4 GoldenEar Atmos Invisa 650/Oppo BDP-205/Directv HS-17 and C61K/Roku 4K Family Room:LG 65" OLED/Marantz AV8802A & MM8077/ Vandersteen Treo Front/ GoldEar SuperSat60 Surround/ Directv HS-17 and C61K
post #3745 of 3887 Old 06-05-2019, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeliemix View Post
T-smith wasnt talking about switches on the 8805 but on the power amplifier, many of them have a physical switch to let it take XLR or RCA.

Hi leeliemix, thanks for the clarification. The amp has only rca inputs, i'm using xlr to rca adapter on the amp to test it

post #3746 of 3887 Old 06-05-2019, 09:21 PM

Quote:
There are switches on the back of the amps to select rca or XLR for each input
Hi audiguy3, the amp only has rca inputs. I'm using a adapter to test

post #3747 of 3887 Old 06-06-2019, 12:44 AM

Hi t-smith, sorry for the misunderstanding and thanks for your feedback on my knowledge

post #3748 of 3887 Old 06-06-2019, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Send a message via Yahoo to cappy24
just traded up my av7703 for the av8805...
giomania, audiofan1 and Karl Maga like this.
post #3749 of 3887 Old 06-06-2019, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Can someone confirm if Marantz's Pure Direct mode can be a true analog bypass? If yes, what exactly has to be turned off or under what conditions would it be pure analog? D&M manuals don't say if Pure Direct can be made to bypass conversion & all digital processing.

I want to connect a hi-perf external upsampling DSD DAC to the Marantz 2 ch analog inputs. But if Pure Direct still passes signal through the ADC/DSPs in all cases, that defeats the purpose. I guess I could use the 7.1 analog inputs since there aren't ADC's on them & just use RCA instead of XLR but that's not my 1st choice.

Anyone?

Steve
post #3750 of 3887 Old 06-06-2019, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 701 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22005 Post(s)
Liked: 11929
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post
Can someone confirm if Marantz's Pure Direct mode can be a true analog bypass? If yes, what exactly has to be turned off or under what conditions would it be pure analog? D&M manuals don't say if Pure Direct can be made to bypass conversion & all digital processing.

I want to connect a hi-perf external upsampling DSD DAC to the Marantz 2 ch analog inputs. But if Pure Direct still passes signal through the ADC/DSPs in all cases, that defeats the purpose. I guess I could use the 7.1 analog inputs since there aren't ADC's on them & just use RCA instead of XLR but that's not my 1st choice.

Anyone?
You'll have to go with your second choice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page