Marantz AV8805 15.2 XLR Pre/Pro Official Thread - Page 165 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2538Likes

post #4921 of 5484 Old 04-16-2020, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7790 Post(s)
Liked: 17684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
I do have an 8805, but it would mean totally reprogramming my remote and installing it back in my rack, which is a full day project. I just haven't had any time to do that

Didn't you once own the same Bose unit?
No, never had that Bose unit. You must be thinking of The Franin. His HT game is strong.

Wait. What? You have an 8805 just laying around collecting dust? Seems The Mighty Vaughn’s HT game is even stronger. Ralph, put together a raiding party. We hit Dave’s palace at midnight. Practicing social distancing protocols of course.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Advertisement

post #4922 of 5484 Old 04-16-2020, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1934 Post(s)
Liked: 2956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
No, never had that Bose unit. You must be thinking of The Franin. His HT game is strong.

Wait. What? You have an 8805 just laying around collecting dust? Seems The Mighty Vaughn’s HT game is even stronger. Ralph, put together a raiding party. We hit Dave’s palace at midnight. Practicing social distancing protocols of course.
That's right.

As far as your raid goes, good luck flying to California. You'd have an easier trip flying into North Korea and visiting their esteemed leader than actually getting into this part of the US Also, I have a dog and he's met Ralph...barked at him a lot
Ralph Potts and audiofan1 like this.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
post #4923 of 5484 Old 04-16-2020, 03:01 PM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 1857 Post(s)
Liked: 7042
Greetings,

Quote:

PM with details sent!

Quote:
That's right.

As far as your raid goes, good luck flying to California. You'd have an easier trip flying into North Korea and visiting their esteemed leader than actually getting into this part of the US Also, I have a dog and he's met Ralph...barked at him a lot
Yeah, but, Rolo and I are friends now...

Regards,
Dave Vaughn and audiofan1 like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4924 of 5484 Old 04-16-2020, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 853 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24615 Post(s)
Liked: 13847
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcfer View Post
Thanks for the link, didn't see it in this thread. Is it live at this point? Will it show up as a Roon Endpoint?
AFAIK, yes, as there is no firmware update required, although note, Airplay has been able to stream Roon for quite some time.
post #4925 of 5484 Old 04-16-2020, 03:33 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1508 Post(s)
Liked: 1480
Quote:
Thanks for the link, didn't see it in this thread. Is it live at this point? Will it show up as a Roon Endpoint?
Live for a while but, unfortunately, not RAAT.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #4926 of 5484 Old 04-16-2020, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 3677 Post(s)
Liked: 2608
Quote:
I do have an 8805, but it would mean totally reprogramming my remote and installing it back in my rack, which is a full day project. I just haven't had any time to do that

Didn't you once own the same Bose unit?

I didn’t know you had an 8805 Dave ? The older we get the harder it it becomes installing new processors. I remember buying the 8805 and asking my self once pulling the AVM 60 out why did I do this look at all the cables. This time around I needed a torch and glasses.

I don’t regret it but I’m in no hurry anymore in replacing processors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

God Bless!. A good way to test your Iris on your projector is on the Spears and Munsil disc. Go to Video processing then select Luminance Loading. Don't stare directly at the lens but on an angle and you can actually see the Iris at work
My Recently Updated Small Home Theatre Room :https://www.avsforum.com/forum/29-what-s-your-system-configuration/1162038-franin-ht-42.html#post16806495l
post #4927 of 5484 Old 04-16-2020, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Ralph is doing his part to get the economy rolling again!

Well done Ralph

Ralph Potts likes this.

God Bless!. A good way to test your Iris on your projector is on the Spears and Munsil disc. Go to Video processing then select Luminance Loading. Don't stare directly at the lens but on an angle and you can actually see the Iris at work
My Recently Updated Small Home Theatre Room :https://www.avsforum.com/forum/29-what-s-your-system-configuration/1162038-franin-ht-42.html#post16806495l
post #4928 of 5484 Old 04-16-2020, 04:40 PM

Quote:
It’s your turn next, Dave. Time to retire your Bose, er I mean AVM60 to the bathroom and jump in the 8805 Pool. We can all do a HT quarantined 8805 zoom movie night. Lol

We only got around using Zoom connecting with family. Used to be Skype.

Dave Vaughn likes this.

post #4929 of 5484 Old 04-16-2020, 04:42 PM

Quote:

While you boys are planning the raid you can have FaceTime on your mobile Wabo I promise I’ll be quiet. I’ll watch your back

post #4930 of 5484 Old 04-16-2020, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1934 Post(s)
Liked: 2956
Quote:
No, never had that Bose unit. You must be thinking of The Franin.
You know all you Australians look alike...it's easy to get confused
Franin likes this.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
post #4931 of 5484 Old 04-16-2020, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Dave Vaughn and Franin like this.

Home Theater 5.1 Setup: Marantz AV8805, Sunfire TGA-7401, Monitor Audio Gold GX300 Front/Rear, Monitor Audio Gold GXC 350 Center, Rythmik Audio G25HP, Oppo UDP-203, Samsung PN64F8500
PC Audio 5.1 Setup: Denon AVR-X3300W, Monitor Audio Gold GX100 Front/Rear, Monitor Audio Gold GXC 150 Center, Rythmik Audio F12SE
post #4932 of 5484 Old 04-17-2020, 12:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2447 Post(s)
Liked: 3131
Wait what Who called a lounge meeting at Daves Or was it Ralph's place:confused Franin has Bose And let me get this straight social distancing during Wabo's raid Anyone know where I can get a mask for this
post #4933 of 5484 Old 04-17-2020, 04:16 AM

Quote:
You know all you Australians look alike...it's easy to get confused
Its all that Vegemite we've been eating Dave, Thats how you can tell . Anyway back into the joeys pouch and off I go to work.

post #4934 of 5484 Old 04-17-2020, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Bechtold View Post
and the toilet flushes the opposite way :P
Dave Vaughn likes this.

post #4935 of 5484 Old 04-17-2020, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post
Wait what Who called a lounge meeting at Daves Or was it Ralph's place:confused Franin has Bose And let me get this straight social distancing during Wabo's raid Anyone know where I can get a mask for this
Exactly Jeff I don't know who called it. I was bringing a plate of Vegemite sandwiches and a six pack of Wabo favourite beer Fosters.

Looks like the boys were already drinking Franin=Bose no!! lol

post #4936 of 5484 Old 04-17-2020, 04:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
The older we get the harder it it becomes installing new processors. I remember buying the 8805 and asking my self once pulling the AVM 60 out why did I do this look at all the cables. This time around I needed a torch and glasses.
I know the feeling. I spent a few hours swapping out my 8802A for the 8805 last year but this time I got smart and decided to label all my cables. I was kicking myself that day for not doing it when I installed the 8802A. And yes, I needed my glasses too. I seem to need them for everything I do nowadays!

Cal68

Cal68
post #4937 of 5484 Old 04-17-2020, 04:40 AM

Marantz AV8805 15.2 XLR Pre/Pro Official Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal68 View Post
I know the feeling. I spent a few hours swapping out my 8802A for the 8805 last year but this time I got smart and decided to label all my cables. I was kicking myself that day for not doing it when I installed the 8802A. And yes, I needed my glasses too. I seem to need them for everything I do nowadays!

Cal68

I’ll be labeling them with larger writing this time if I have too send it for the HDMI 2.1 upgrade

gsr, Dave Vaughn and Cal68 like this.

post #4938 of 5484 Old 04-17-2020, 05:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
MultEQ XT32 Flat Reference with EQ only below 500Hz.
Dynamic EQ. On Off.
-Reference Level Offset 10db Not relevant.
Dynamic Volume. Light Off.
Audyssey LFC Off Off.
Hi Kal

After reading your recommendation, I checked the settings that I have on my Audyssey app and I have everything you recommend except the "Reference with EQ below 500Hz". I believe I understand the reason for your recommendation but I have a question for you about how to engage this setting. When I am in the "MultEQ Filter Frequency Range" setting, do I need to drag the dotted line which is at the far right of the screen so that it lines up with 500Hz? And I assume that I would do this for each of the speakers? I just wanted to make sure that I was not doing something that would lessen the sound quality. And if I may, I have another question for you. Is it important to rerun the Audyssey EQ from scratch periodically if no changes have been made to the room, or is it sufficient to just upload a previous calibration? I am planning to rerun the Audyssey EQ today but if it is not necessary, then I will just make the change to frequency range and upload the revised curves.

Thanks for your help.

Cal68

Cal68
post #4939 of 5484 Old 04-17-2020, 05:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
I’ll be labeling them with larger writing this time if I have too send it for the HDMI 2.1 upgrade

Cal68
post #4940 of 5484 Old 04-17-2020, 06:51 AM

Quote:
After reading your recommendation, I checked the settings that I have on my Audyssey app and I have everything you recommend except the "Reference with EQ below 500Hz". I believe I understand the reason for your recommendation but I have a question for you about how to engage this setting. When I am in the "MultEQ Filter Frequency Range" setting, do I need to drag the dotted line which is at the far right of the screen so that it lines up with 500Hz?
Yes.
Quote:
And I assume that I would do this for each of the speakers?
Yes, each of the speakers. See below.
Quote:
I just wanted to make sure that I was not doing something that would lessen the sound quality.
I decided on 500hz after experimenting with full range and several other cut-offs. I tried different frequencies based on the measured Audyssey FR in an attempt to achieve (1) a very smooth transition from the corrected to the uncorrected frequencies and (2) a subjectively pleasing result. Your speakers in your room are quite likely to benefit from a different transition frequency. In addition, this was applied only to the front L/C/R while the surrounds were EQ-ed full range.
Quote:
And if I may, I have another question for you. Is it important to rerun the Audyssey EQ from scratch periodically if no changes have been made to the room, or is it sufficient to just upload a previous calibration? I am planning to rerun the Audyssey EQ today but if it is not necessary, then I will just make the change to frequency range and upload the revised curves.
If you have not changed/moved the speakers or any other major furniture or room appointments, there should be no need to remeasure.
Ralph Potts and audiofan1 like this.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #4941 of 5484 Old 04-17-2020, 09:54 AM

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 7638 Post(s)
Liked: 7708
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Ralph - it looks like you currently own a Marantz AV7704. What are you hoping to achieve by upgrading? If you're happy with the capabilities of what you currently have, I would probably sit tight for a while. Any improvement in sound quality isn't going to be life changing and it doesn't sound like there would really be any other benefits that you need / care about.
My AV7702 is working great in my one setup, I know I am staying put.....
Sal1950 likes this.
post #4942 of 5484 Old 04-17-2020, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Quoted: 2240 Post(s)
Liked: 2492
Did we ever get a definitive answer if using the XLR in’s bypasses the DAC?

Am I better off using the XLR in or RCA in if I want to use a different DAC? I was running my Mac mini through my oppo 105 via hdmi into an onkyo 5509 via XLR. The 8805 replaced the onkyo several months ago.
post #4943 of 5484 Old 04-17-2020, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
Yes.
Yes, each of the speakers. See below.
I decided on 500hz after experimenting with full range and several other cut-offs. I tried different frequencies based on the measured Audyssey FR in an attempt to achieve (1) a very smooth transition from the corrected to the uncorrected frequencies and (2) a subjectively pleasing result. Your speakers in your room are quite likely to benefit from a different transition frequency. In addition, this was applied only to the front L/C/R while the surrounds were EQ-ed full range.
If you have not changed/moved the speakers or any other major furniture or room appointments, there should be no need to remeasure.
Thank you very much Kal, I really appreciate the quick response. I will play with the frequency range setting and see what different settings do in my system. I have a Dolby Atmos disc that I can use as source material. Thanks also for giving me the heads up that you only do this for the LCR speakers! If you had not told me that, I would most likely have applied the filter to all the speakers in my system!

Cal68

Cal68
post #4944 of 5484 Old 04-17-2020, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Thank you very much Kal, I really appreciate the quick response. I will play with the frequency range setting and see what different settings do in my system. I have a Dolby Atmos disc that I can use as source material. Thanks also for giving me the heads up that you only do this for the LCR speakers! If you had not told me that, I would most likely have applied the filter to all the speakers in my system!
FWIW, I did experiment with my surrounds (Silver2) but they really benefited from a full-range correction because I have them in the rear corners of the room and are quite colored by the acoustics.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #4945 of 5484 Old 04-17-2020, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hi,
I have a macinstosh Mx123 that shares de same HDMI board that marantz, i have a issue with hdmi dual monitor that no one can solve, so i need your help.

Let me describe my setup, i have a Sony Oled A1 connected to HDMI monitor1 and Sony projector VPL-VW570ES connected to HDMI monitor2, The source is a Oppo bluray player Udp-205 all cables are HDMI inakustic fiber optic high speed, that replaced my previous qed cables because cables are always the first thought.

So the issue is, when the tv is on and projector is in standby the avr dont show any image on tv, if i disconect the cable from hdmi monitor 2 i get image on tv, if the 2 displays are on they both get image.

First i thought that the problem was on projector but then tested with a JVC DLA-N7 and the result was the same.

Tried with 2 differents amplifiers and the result was interesting, with a denon same result with a pioneer everything worked fine.

Any ideas?

Kocl
post #4946 of 5484 Old 04-17-2020, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked: 969
Quote:
I’ve been using Roon in our theater which has a Trinnov processor as a Roon endpoint. I tried our 8805 in our family room. It plays via Airplay and seems to work great. Not sure what the difference is, but all is working. SJ
post #4947 of 5484 Old 04-17-2020, 05:59 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kocl
So the issue is, when the tv is on and projector is in standby the avr dont show any image on tv, if i disconect the cable from hdmi monitor 2 i get image on tv, if the 2 displays are on they both get image.

First i thought that the problem was on projector but then tested with a JVC DLA-N7 and the result was the same.
my 8802a exhibits the same behavior. i have a tv on one hdmi and a projector on the other.

i have not found a solution for it yet.

they way i get around it is if i want to watch the tv i turn off the projector. if i want to watch the projector i turn off the tv. it works for me.

edit: had the wrong quote - thank you for pointing it out

Last edited by partcrash; 04-18-2020 at 07:55 AM.
post #4948 of 5484 Old 04-17-2020, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by partcrash View Post
my 8802a exhibits the same behavior. i have a tv on one hdmi and a projector on the other.

i have not found a solution for it yet.

they way i get around it is if i want to watch the tv i turn off the projector. if i want to watch the projector i turn off the tv. it works for me.
????? OK but what is the relevance to the quote?

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #4949 of 5484 Old 04-17-2020, 07:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kocl View Post
Hi,
I have a macinstosh Mx123 that shares de same HDMI board that marantz, i have a issue with hdmi dual monitor that no one can solve, so i need your help.

Let me describe my setup, i have a Sony Oled A1 connected to HDMI monitor1 and Sony projector VPL-VW570ES connected to HDMI monitor2, The source is a Oppo bluray player Udp-205 all cables are HDMI inakustic fiber optic high speed, that replaced my previous qed cables because cables are always the first thought.

Tried with 2 differents amplifiers and the result was interesting, with a denon same result with a pioneer everything worked fine.

Any ideas?
I had a similar issue with my old Denon 7200WA, JVC PJ (520) and Penny plasma (ZT60), but it was opposite in regards to my tv worked and my PJ would give me issues. What worked for me was changing the Edid on the PJ. Once I did that all worked well (mostly).
post #4950 of 5484 Old 04-18-2020, 01:21 AM

Mentioned: 853 Post(s)
Quoted: 24615 Post(s)
Liked: 13847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kocl View Post
Hi,

Any ideas?
If the <HDMI Video Output> setting (p. 199 AV8805 Owner's Manual) is currently "Auto (Dual)", try setting it to either "Monitor 1" or "Monitor 2" depending on which display you want to use.
Ralph Potts likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page