Marantz AV8805 15.2 XLR Pre/Pro Official Thread - Page 172 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2542Likes

post #5131 of 5493 Old 05-31-2020, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethos4Lyfe View Post
2 channel, tv, youtube videos, scenes from John Wick...zero bass. Running small/80hz across all 5. Its just some connection issue, hopefully the reset suggested above will work!

You dont use direct mode i hope.

Sub -12 is the lowest unless you mean +12

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5132 of 5493 Old 05-31-2020, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeliemix View Post
You dont use direct mode i hope.

Sub -12 is the lowest unless you mean +12

yea sorry tried all the way to +12....no audible difference. just got back home, gonna try the reset options now

Speakers: JTR 212RTs - JTR 210RM - JTR 110HTs (x4)
Subwoofer: Dual Rythmik G25HPSE
Audio Gear: Marantz 8805 - Krell Chorus 5200 + D-Sonic M3a-800S - BS Node 2i - Oppo 203
TV: LG 65 OLED
Bedroom: ML Ethos - ML Motion 30 - Samsung Q8 LED
post #5133 of 5493 Old 05-31-2020, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
What master volume level is set when you run the test tone? As a lower frequencies are more "felt" than "heard", the master volume would have to be set fairly high.

When a strange issue presents that cannot easily be explained or resolved, there are two steps to take:

1. Try doing a "soft reset" by powering off the AVP and unplugging the power cord for 10 minutes.

2. If still no joy, then do a microprocessor reset by powering off the AVP and while pressing/holding the GAME and INFO buttons on the AVP front panel power on the AVP. Continue holding the two buttons until you see the word "INITIALIZED" on the front panel display.
Tried both resets - nothing

I tried to run audyssey again and it picked up the subs. Any other ideas, 8805 couldnt have gone out right?

Audio Gear: Marantz 8805 - Krell Chorus 5200 + D-Sonic M3a-800S - BS Node 2i - Oppo 203
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5134 of 5493 Old 05-31-2020, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1479 Post(s)
Liked: 1400
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd1010 View Post
Couple of questions:

1) Is the 8805 XLR inputs/outputs fully balanced?

2) Omitted

o The (+) and (-) XLR inputs have equal impedance to ground so the circuit is balanced. The circuit consists of a voltage follower circuit on each of the two input legs followed by a differential amplifier.

o The (+) and (-) XLR outputs have equal impedance to ground and equal output impedance. Each output, (+) and (-), is actively driven by an HDAM circuit.

As always, the quality of the balance and the overall quality of the circuits depends on, among other factors, the quality of the active components and power supply, and the tolerances and characteristics of the passive components.
todd1010 likes this.
post #5135 of 5493 Old 05-31-2020, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Does anyone know where we can provide feedback to Marantz about adding the ability to have Smart Select remember your choice of HDMI vs. 7.1 CH inputs? I’d love to be able to switch between the two for the Blu-ray input with the touch of a button, as opposed to having to go into the setup menu each time.
post #5136 of 5493 Old 05-31-2020, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 853 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24627 Post(s)
Liked: 13851
Quote:
Originally Posted by leefarber View Post
Does anyone know where we can provide feedback to Marantz about adding the ability to have Smart Select remember your choice of HDMI vs. 7.1 CH inputs? I’d love to be able to switch between the two for the Blu-ray input with the touch of a button, as opposed to having to go into the setup menu each time.
Have you tried setting <INPUT MODE> to "Auto" for the Blu-ray input?
post #5137 of 5493 Old 05-31-2020, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:

Older marantz units used to have that on the remote. It should be in the database if you use a Logitech Harmony remote.

post #5138 of 5493 Old 05-31-2020, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
What master volume level is set when you run the test tone? As a lower frequencies are more "felt" than "heard", the master volume would have to be set fairly high.

When a strange issue presents that cannot easily be explained or resolved, there are two steps to take:

1. Try doing a "soft reset" by powering off the AVP and unplugging the power cord for 10 minutes.

2. If still no joy, then do a microprocessor reset by powering off the AVP and while pressing/holding the GAME and INFO buttons on the AVP front panel power on the AVP. Continue holding the two buttons until you see the word "INITIALIZED" on the front panel display.
Update - I did a demo of a movie the bass was there...just not super loud. I went to mv -15 and added 5 gain on the mini dsp. Its present, but nowhere near what it should be. I'm wondering if maybe the xlr to rca adapters I'm using are causing a gain attenuation? But when I plugged directly in, the volume was still low. So that actually kind of eliminates that. Its just literally like the bass signal is muffled/lowered. I have exhausted all options. It seems that bass is coming out now, I just have to turn up the volume knob on subs even more. In my room previously, -6 trim w/ one sub was very very loud. Sure there was distortion but it was room shaking. So having duals set at -6 shouldnt be this low...

post #5139 of 5493 Old 05-31-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Have you tried setting <INPUT MODE> to "Auto" for the Blu-ray input?
Thanks JD, but I don't see AUTO for input mode. Only HDMI or 7.1CH IN.

What I'm trying to accomplish is a fast way of switching from HDMI audio (to use Audyssey) and Analog audio (to take advantage of the Oppo 205 DACs) when listening to music from the Oppo 205.
post #5140 of 5493 Old 05-31-2020, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 901
Quote:
Update - I did a demo of a movie the bass was there...just not super loud. I went to mv -15 and added 5 gain on the mini dsp. Its present, but nowhere near what it should be. I'm wondering if maybe the xlr to rca adapters I'm using are causing a gain attenuation? But when I plugged directly in, the volume was still low. So that actually kind of eliminates that. Its just literally like the bass signal is muffled/lowered. I have exhausted all options. It seems that bass is coming out now, I just have to turn up the volume knob on subs even more. In my room previously, -6 trim w/ one sub was very very loud. Sure there was distortion but it was room shaking. So having duals set at -6 shouldnt be this low...

i am using a mDSP 2X4HD for a couple of months now, i also got XLR to RCA cables for it (4 of my subs are using those) with no issues and attenuation. I had my subs connected to my 8805 using XLR-XLR cables and it was the exact same level/sound.
post #5141 of 5493 Old 05-31-2020, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balbolito View Post
i am using a mDSP 2X4HD for a couple of months now, i also got XLR to RCA cables for it (4 of my subs are using those) with no issues and attenuation. I had my subs connected to my 8805 using XLR-XLR cables and it was the exact same level/sound.
I think I found the issue - the Rythmik subs seem to attenuate when paired w/ a Mini DSP. I facetimed w/ a very knowledgable AVS'r and Enrico from Rythmik to figure it out. I had to just really crank the volume. I had to turn the gain on the subs up more than usual (3-4 clicks) and now it seems to be playing correctly. I'm going to do some demos and will check. But I turned the 8805 to 0 MV and played a test tone - the SPL meter read about 85ish, so I'm right where I need to be. Very strange situation, but it seems to be fine. Same friend has JTR subs and when we introduced a Mini DSP, he had to turn down the gain. So I guess its implementation is different w/ different subs? I'm hoping im good to go! LOL

post #5142 of 5493 Old 05-31-2020, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 901
Quote:
I think I found the issue - the Rythmik subs seem to attenuate when paired w/ a Mini DSP. I facetimed w/ a very knowledgable AVS'r and Enrico from Rythmik to figure it out. I had to just really crank the volume. I had to turn the gain on the subs up more than usual (3-4 clicks) and now it seems to be playing correctly. I'm going to do some demos and will check. But I turned the 8805 to 0 MV and played a test tone - the SPL meter read about 85ish, so I'm right where I need to be. Very strange situation, but it seems to be fine. Same friend has JTR subs and when we introduced a Mini DSP, he had to turn down the gain. So I guess its implementation is different w/ different subs? I'm hoping im good to go! LOL
Strange it's the first time i hear of something like this, i am sure you double checked the sub level/gain in the mDSP plug-in on your PC too right? anyway hope its solved!
Ethos4Lyfe likes this.
post #5143 of 5493 Old 05-31-2020, 05:48 PM

Quote:

What I'm trying to accomplish is a fast way of switching from HDMI audio (to use Audyssey) and Analog audio (to take advantage of the Oppo 205 DACs) when listening to music from the Oppo 205.
Then as noted in the below image (p. 210 Owner's manual), you're missing some settings.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	283
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	2735472  
post #5144 of 5493 Old 05-31-2020, 07:00 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1508 Post(s)
Liked: 1480
Quote:
Then as noted in the below image (p. 210 Owner's manual), you're missing some settings.
But how does it do with conflict? How does it allow one to A/B between two sources?

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #5145 of 5493 Old 05-31-2020, 08:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

Hi leefarbur...Go to Input---->Input Assign----->Choose which hdmi your Oppo is on say for example HDMI 3 then you scroll over to the Analog category highlight it and choose an audio input say #1 hit enter or if you are using the XLR input you can choose XLR for that source as well in the analog section. Save the info and go to Input Select..you should see when you scroll through the Input Select: Auto, HDMI, Analog and 7.1 CH IN. Choose Auto setting and you should be good to go...just ensure your rca is connected to either the FL and FR 7.1 CH connector or to the audio input you assigned in order for the Auto function to detect the right connection.

In summary, seems like an Analog input also needs to be selected for every source you have hooked up via HDMI for the Auto function to be enabled for those sources as well. I was wondering when I turned off the analog I lost the Auto ability and now I know the reason why it happened. I have all mine set to the Auto function now.

Give that a try and see how it works for you. Good luck.

audiomanz.
audiofan1 likes this.

Last edited by audiomanz; 05-31-2020 at 08:37 PM.
post #5146 of 5493 Old 05-31-2020, 09:05 PM

Thanks audiomanz. I never knew that an analog input had to be selected in order to have the “Auto” option under Input Select. But as Kal pointed out, it doesn’t solve my problem of one touch switching between HDMI and 7.1 CH IN. Auto just makes it default to HDMI, and I’d have to go a few levels deep into the setup menus to switch it to 7.1. CH IN. Ideally this setting could be saved in Smart Select, so one button could be Blu-ray via HDMI and another could be Blu-ray via Analog audio.
post #5147 of 5493 Old 05-31-2020, 09:18 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 3679 Post(s)
Liked: 2608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Yeah, you guys are probably right. Will have to run another cal. Been so long I don't remember my mic positions. I'll have The Franin come over and work his magic. Think I still have some Vegemite masks leftover. For proper social distancing.

Awesome will be there on the next flight out

God Bless!. A good way to test your Iris on your projector is on the Spears and Munsil disc. Go to Video processing then select Luminance Loading. Don't stare directly at the lens but on an angle and you can actually see the Iris at work
My Recently Updated Small Home Theatre Room :https://www.avsforum.com/forum/29-what-s-your-system-configuration/1162038-franin-ht-42.html#post16806495l
post #5148 of 5493 Old 06-01-2020, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
But how does it do with conflict? How does it allow one to A/B between two sources?
It defaults to HDMI; however, if the source is able to pass an active signal to just HDMI or just 7.1 Ch In, then there shouldn't be a problem.
post #5149 of 5493 Old 06-01-2020, 04:24 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2172 Post(s)
Liked: 2743
Quote:
Thanks audiomanz. I never knew that an analog input had to be selected in order to have the “Auto” option under Input Select. But as Kal pointed out, it doesn’t solve my problem of one touch switching between HDMI and 7.1 CH IN. Auto just makes it default to HDMI, and I’d have to go a few levels deep into the setup menus to switch it to 7.1. CH IN. Ideally this setting could be saved in Smart Select, so one button could be Blu-ray via HDMI and another could be Blu-ray via Analog audio.
What are you using for a remote to control your system? Even though the AV8805 remote doesn't have them, there are IR, RS-232, and TCP/IP commands to toggle through or directly select the desired input select mode, so if you're using a 3rd party remote, such as a Logitech Harmony, it should be possible to get what you want to work; it just may take some effort to get there.

Quote:
It defaults to HDMI; however, if the source is able to pass an active signal to just HDMI or just 7.1 Ch In, then there shouldn't be a problem.
On the Oppo players, all outputs (HDMI, analog, etc.) are always active, so the selection has to happen on the pre-pro.

I get the desire to use the analog outputs from the Oppo and have gone to the effort to hook them up to my AV8805 and add the necessary functions to my remote, but I honestly just use HDMI most of the time because the AV8805 is no slouch in the DAC department and Audyssey usually does good things to the result. While the Oppo beta test program was (a lot more) active, I really needed to be able to test the various output options to provide feedback to the folks at Oppo.
audiofan1 likes this.

Last edited by gsr; 06-01-2020 at 04:28 AM.
post #5150 of 5493 Old 06-01-2020, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
On the Oppo, all outputs (HDMI, analog, etc.) are always active, so the selection has to happen on the pre-pro.
Then in that case the INPUT MODE = AUTO setting would indeed not be effective.
post #5151 of 5493 Old 06-01-2020, 04:34 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2172 Post(s)
Liked: 2743
Quote:
Then in that case the INPUT MODE = AUTO setting would indeed not be effective.
Yeah, and that's going to be the case with the vast majority of source devices as I can't think of many where you can select the active audio output, outside of things like computers connected to the system as a source. But you're generally going to use HDMI for both audio and video from a computer anyway.
post #5152 of 5493 Old 06-01-2020, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Your other option is to assign each input to a different source name (eg. Blu-ray --> HDMI, CD --> 7.1 Ch In).
m. zillch likes this.
post #5153 of 5493 Old 06-01-2020, 06:26 AM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1508 Post(s)
Liked: 1480
Quote:
Well, unfortunately, my source is sending both HDMI and 7.1analog and that is the comparison I want to make.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #5154 of 5493 Old 06-01-2020, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Your other option is to assign each input to a different source name (eg. Blu-ray --> HDMI, CD --> 7.1 Ch In).
That is what I have done so that my HTPC can output either to my exaSound e38 then to the AV8805 or direct to the AV8805 via HDMI but keep the same video source.

Media Room: LG oled65c7, Marantz AV8805, Sherbourn 7/2100, Emotiva A-300, Studer A80, Studer Revox b795, Nakamichi RX-202, HTPC, exaSound e38, Sweetvinyl Sugarcube SC-2, (2) Piega P10, Piega Coax Center, (6) Piega AP 1.2, Hsu VTF-15h mk2
Office: Emotiva mini-x A100, Geek Pulse, (2) KEF LS-50, Goldenear FF 4, PC, NAS 130TB
Bedroom: Panasonic TCP55vt35, Marantz NR1200, Dune 3 Prime, (2) Elac Uni-Fi UB5
post #5155 of 5493 Old 06-01-2020, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 7645 Post(s)
Liked: 7709
Quote:
Originally Posted by gianni1 View Post
For me making the jump from the AV8801 to the AV8805 was a notable refinement in sound quality. Worth the upgrade, yes id say so. Thou on terms of money spent, it would have been nice for marantz to offer the new hdmi boards admin a free upgrade, considering the cost of these units... but i guess that's not going to happen.
Yes it would be nice if it was free, the new board is not free, not to mention the service center will not swap it for free either. Just remember Marantz does not get full retail for these, the dealers do, so in the end Marantz is not making a ton of cash on these......
post #5156 of 5493 Old 06-01-2020, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Exactly the way to A-B Away ! Kal surely must have forgotten lol

Theater 1, Denon AVR X8500 H, 77 inch LG C9,Oled, RBH SV6500R Towers SV616 R & surrounds,.SVS PC 4000 sub Oppo 95, Denon DVD 3930, Epson UB 5040 Projection
post #5157 of 5493 Old 06-01-2020, 08:57 AM

Quote:
The problem there is video: you can only assign one HDMI input per source. For my Blu-ray Audio discs (or concert videos), I need to be able to see video, and there is no way to assign the HDMI input from the Oppo to both Blu-ray and CD.
post #5158 of 5493 Old 06-01-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
The problem there is video: you can only assign one HDMI input per source. For my Blu-ray Audio discs (or concert videos), I need to be able to see video, and there is no way to assign the HDMI input from the Oppo to both Blu-ray and CD.
If you require video for both music sources, then try adding an HDMI splitter between the Oppo and the AVP.
post #5159 of 5493 Old 06-01-2020, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2447 Post(s)
Liked: 3131
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
What are you using for a remote to control your system? Even though the AV8805 remote doesn't have them, there are IR, RS-232, and TCP/IP commands to toggle through or directly select the desired input select mode, so if you're using a 3rd party remote, such as a Logitech Harmony, it should be possible to get what you want to work; it just may take some effort to get there.

On the Oppo players, all outputs (HDMI, analog, etc.) are always active, so the selection has to happen on the pre-pro.

I get the desire to use the analog outputs from the Oppo and have gone to the effort to hook them up to my AV8805 and add the necessary functions to my remote, but I honestly just use HDMI most of the time because the AV8805 is no slouch in the DAC department and Audyssey usually does good things to the result. While the Oppo beta test program was (a lot more) active, I really needed to be able to test the various output options to provide feedback to the folks at Oppo.
Indeed
post #5160 of 5493 Old 06-01-2020, 09:28 AM

Quote:
If you require video for both music sources, then try adding an HDMI splitter between the Oppo and the AVP.
Thanks JD. I've actually never used one. Does it degrade the signal at all?

Of course, this leads me back to my original question: would it be difficult for Marantz to allow Smart Select to remember your Input Select choice for each entry?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page