Marantz AV8805 15.2 XLR Pre/Pro Official Thread - Page 173 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2532Likes

post #5161 of 5453 Old 06-01-2020, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Marantz AV8805 15.2 XLR Pre/Pro Official Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefarber View Post
The problem there is video: you can only assign one HDMI input per source. For my Blu-ray Audio discs (or concert videos), I need to be able to see video, and there is no way to assign the HDMI input from the Oppo to both Blu-ray and CD.

Set 7.1 to CD input and select CD then hit the option button on the remote hop down to video select and choose the right HDMI source. This is how i have watched tour de france while listening to music. (I used XLR stereo instead of 7.1 though)

Edit: if you have an older marantz remote or logitech harmony or such you can (still i think) stay on the hdmi input and just toggle 7.1 on or off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5162 of 5453 Old 06-01-2020, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethos4Lyfe View Post
I think I found the issue - the Rythmik subs seem to attenuate when paired w/ a Mini DSP. I facetimed w/ a very knowledgable AVS'r and Enrico from Rythmik to figure it out. I had to just really crank the volume. I had to turn the gain on the subs up more than usual (3-4 clicks) and now it seems to be playing correctly. I'm going to do some demos and will check. But I turned the 8805 to 0 MV and played a test tone - the SPL meter read about 85ish, so I'm right where I need to be. Very strange situation, but it seems to be fine. Same friend has JTR subs and when we introduced a Mini DSP, he had to turn down the gain. So I guess its implementation is different w/ different subs? I'm hoping im good to go! LOL
I have a similar issue with the miniDSP, JTR subs, and the AV8805, but in my case it is a hardware fault with the AV8805, because when I disconnect the subs from the AV8805, the intermittent noise issue is gone.

That said, when I saw this post and that you have a friend that has JTR subs, it is making me wonder what was your friends' experience? In my situation, I had to turn the gain down on the subs and raise it in the AVP because I have an an intermittent tone only on the JTR subs.

The reason why my situation is an AV8805 hardware fault is that in addition to the intermittent noise that started happening a few months after I started using the miniDSP, I am unable to calibrate with Audyssey, as it won't detect any frequencies below 250 Hz on any of the speakers; I tried a different microphone. Last, I have an audible "ticking" noise when I adjust the volume on the AV8805.

I was convinced the issue was the miniDSP, but after removing the miniDSP from the signal chain, the symptoms were still present.

I have to send it in for repair at some point.

Mark

Lumagen Radiance Pro HDR Tone Mapping Guide: Click Here

Lumagen Radiance Pro Setup & Calibration Tips: Click Here

UHD-BD Backup & Playback Guidance Link
post #5163 of 5453 Old 06-01-2020, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeliemix View Post
Set 7.1 to CD input and select CD then hit the option button on the remote hop down to video select and choose the right HDMI source. This is how i have watched tour de france while listening to music. (I used XLR stereo instead of 7.1 though)

Edit: if you have an older marantz remote or logitech harmony or such you can (still i think) stay on the hdmi input and just toggle 7.1 on or off.

Leeliemix that's brilliant! I had no idea you could select the video from the Blu-ray input while you're on CD. That is exactly what I needed. Now I can listen with Audyssey on the Blu-ray input and listen to the Oppo DACs on the CD input with Pure Direct enabled. Thank you so very much for solving this issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5164 of 5453 Old 06-01-2020, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked: 1479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaeldef View Post
Exactly the way to A-B Away ! Kal surely must have forgotten lol
I did.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #5165 of 5453 Old 06-01-2020, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 849 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24583 Post(s)
Liked: 13812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeliemix View Post

Good catch. I forgot that the "CD" labeled audio inputs are the only non-(networking, USB, Tuner, or PHONO) inputs that can also be used with the <Video Select> feature.
post #5166 of 5453 Old 06-01-2020, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi. Question for the group. Is anyone using the dual HDMI outputs (Monitor 1 and 2) on the AV8805. I installed a 4K projector over the weekend and intend to use both monitor 1 for when I am watching TV and Monitor 2 for the Projector. Not at the same time of course. On Monitor 2 output when I turn the projector on, the video starts to go in and out. It does not happen when I watching TV on monitor 1. Anyone know if there is trick to get this working correctly. In order to get a steady picture I have to manually change the video output from Auto to Monitor 2 only. Thanks in advance for the help.

MagMo
Sony 65 A1E OLED, LG 55 B6 OLED, Oppo UDP-205, Marantz AV-8802A, Marantz MM8077, Marantz MM7055, PS3 (Fatty SACD), MartinLogan Theos, MartinLogan Motif-X, MartinLogan Montage, MartinLogan Descent-i, MartinLogan ElectroMotion FX2, MartinLogan Motion 2, MartinLogan Helos 12 (4 for Atmos).
post #5167 of 5453 Old 06-01-2020, 04:38 PM
DAK

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaMOE View Post
Hi. Question for the group. Is anyone using the dual HDMI outputs (Monitor 1 and 2) on the AV8805. I installed a 4K projector over the weekend and intend to use both monitor 1 for when I am watching TV and Monitor 2 for the Projector. Not at the same time of course. On Monitor 2 output when I turn the projector on, the video starts to go in and out. It does not happen when I watching TV on monitor 1. Anyone know if there is trick to get this working correctly. In order to get a steady picture I have to manually change the video output from Auto to Monitor 2 only. Thanks in advance for the help.
Yes, I am... Do both your display devices have the exact same capabilities (i.e., both 4K and etc.)? The unit will send a signal that only BOTH displays support, so if your TV is not 4K (or doesn't support the same signals), you won't get a 4K signal sent to your projector. BUT! This is true only if you have the HDMI output set to "Auto(Both)". If you set the output to "Monitor 1" / "Monitor 2", you'll get whatever you send for each output. You can use the "smart select" buttons on the remote to easily switch between outputs. I'm using an 8805 to drive both a 4K projector and an old 1080p TV (not simultaneously), so make sure you do NOT use the "Auto(Both)" setting in your specific scenario. It does take several seconds for the video hand-shaking to sync when switching between 1 and 2, so you'll need to be patient.

Last edited by DAK; 06-01-2020 at 05:12 PM.
post #5168 of 5453 Old 06-01-2020, 05:56 PM

[QUOTE=DAK;59741868]
Quote:
Yes, I am... Do both your display devices have the exact same capabilities (i.e., both 4K and etc.)? The unit will send a signal that only BOTH displays support, so if your TV is not 4K (or doesn't support the same signals), you won't get a 4K signal sent to your projector. BUT! This is true only if you have the HDMI output set to "Auto(Both)". If you set the output to "Monitor 1" / "Monitor 2", you'll get whatever you send for each output. You can use the "smart select" buttons on the remote to easily switch between outputs. I'm using an 8805 to drive both a 4K projector and an old 1080p TV (not simultaneously), so make you do NOT use the "Auto(Both)" setting in your specific scenario. It does take several seconds for the video hand-shaking to sync when switching between 1 and 2, so you'll need to be patient.
Thanks for the quick response. Yes, I have a Sony A1E and Sony 295ES connected. Both are 4K/HDR. Only difference is A1E is Dolby Vision capable and the projector is not as expected. So, the “Auto” should work fine then? Right? The video starts out fine sometimes and the starts to go In and Out after a while.

MagMo
Sony 65 A1E OLED, LG 55 B6 OLED, Oppo UDP-205, Marantz AV-8802A, Marantz MM8077, Marantz MM7055, PS3 (Fatty SACD), MartinLogan Theos, MartinLogan Motif-X, MartinLogan Montage, MartinLogan Descent-i, MartinLogan ElectroMotion FX2, MartinLogan Motion 2, MartinLogan Helos 12 (4 for Atmos).
post #5169 of 5453 Old 06-01-2020, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAK View Post
Quote:
Yes, I am... Do both your display devices have the exact same capabilities (i.e., both 4K and etc.)? The unit will send a signal that only BOTH displays support, so if your TV is not 4K (or doesn't support the same signals), you won't get a 4K signal sent to your projector. BUT! This is true only if you have the HDMI output set to "Auto(Both)". If you set the output to "Monitor 1" / "Monitor 2", you'll get whatever you send for each output. You can use the "smart select" buttons on the remote to easily switch between outputs. I'm using an 8805 to drive both a 4K projector and an old 1080p TV (not simultaneously), so make sure you do NOT use the "Auto(Both)" setting in your specific scenario. It does take several seconds for the video hand-shaking to sync when switching between 1 and 2, so you'll need to be patient.
Definitely worth looking at. My money is on the HDMI cable to the projector

Reggie Basement: Sony 75" 4K 940D/Marantz AV8805& MM8077 & MM7055/GoldenEar:Reference (Fronts and cetern) Triton Ones(Rear),/ 4 GoldenEar Atmos Invisa 650/Oppo BDP-205/Directv HS-17 and C61K/Roku 4K Family Room:LG 65" OLED/Marantz AV8802A & MM8077/ Vandersteen Treo Front/ GoldEar SuperSat60 Surround/ Directv HS-17 and C61K
post #5170 of 5453 Old 06-01-2020, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiguy3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAK View Post
Quote:
Definitely worth looking at. My money is on the HDMI cable to the projector
Good question. I thought the same as well. Projector is connected via a 24 ft Rocket Fish HDMI. It is supposedly rated for 4K. The TV is connected via an 8 meter AudioQuest Cinnamon. Maybe I need to replace the Rocket Fish with a better cable?

MagMo
post #5171 of 5453 Old 06-01-2020, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Good question. I thought the same as well. Projector is connected via a 24 ft Rocket Fish HDMI. It is supposedly rated for 4K. The TV is connected via an 8 meter AudioQuest Cinnamon. Maybe I need to replace the Rocket Fish with a better cable?
The projector being 4K has nothing to do with the problem. Replacing the cable won't matter either. It has something to do with how the handshake is between the AVR and Projector. I have the same issue and my projector is not 4K. I had the same issue using the 8802a. Now with the 8805. It depends on your input source. I can use any other HDMI source and everything is fine. Switching to the projector is sometimes iffy. It attempts to display several times before it'll finally lock in. I use an Epson projector and had seen others with the same issue. My issue is whenever I use my PC (HDMI) output. The resolution for me is too make sure the PC is not asleep and output is active before switching to it as the source. I forgot to mention it doesn't matter which HDMI output you use on the AVR (using one or both I outputs the problem will still be there). Hope that helps.

Definitive Technology:Front Height - Mythos Gem XL
Front - Mythos ST-L & ST Towers, Center - Mythos 10 & 8
Side & Back Surround - Gem XL
Ceiling - 4 DI 8R
Sub - Supercube Ref, SVS SB13 Ultra, SVS SB16 Ultra

Last edited by Maddmaster; 06-01-2020 at 07:08 PM.
post #5172 of 5453 Old 06-01-2020, 09:39 PM

Mentioned: 658 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4315 Post(s)
Liked: 4144
I searched for this, but did not find an answer. Is there any clarity on whether DTS-X Pro will be brought to the 8805?
post #5173 of 5453 Old 06-01-2020, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmaster View Post
Quote:
The projector being 4K has nothing to do with the problem. Replacing the cable won't matter either. It has something to do with how the handshake is between the AVR and Projector. I have the same issue and my projector is not 4K. I had the same issue using the 8802a. Now with the 8805. It depends on your input source. I can use any other HDMI source and everything is fine. Switching to the projector is sometimes iffy. It attempts to display several times before it'll finally lock in. I use an Epson projector and had seen others with the same issue. My issue is whenever I use my PC (HDMI) output. The resolution for me is too make sure the PC is not asleep and output is active before switching to it as the source. I forgot to mention it doesn't matter which HDMI output you use on the AVR (using one or both I outputs the problem will still be there). Hope that helps.
It does sound like an HDMI handshake issue.

MagMo
post #5174 of 5453 Old 06-01-2020, 11:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey,
I am been searching cable to connect my DAC to my AV8805s XLR inputs and I have found 2 options from LQI cable, they are basically same with one difference first one " Balanced 4.4mm TRRRS Plug to Dual XLR 3 Pin Male " and second is same cable but the difference is that with option number 1 there reads following " There is no ground connection in this cable which would be required if you were using this for active/powered speakers. For that application please see our other listing in the Adapters & Interconnects category. This interconnect allows you to output from your 4.4mm balanced audio player to an amp or preamp that accepts a 3 pin XLR input." and with option 2 tjere reads just " This cable plugs into your Sony NW-WM1Z, NW-WM1A or other device with a 4.4mm balanced output, and feeds the signal directly to your active speakers. "

My question is that why theres no need for that ground connection? Doesnt the signal need path to return and when I have watched 8805s mains connection theres only 2 pin so its not grounded and if the cables not grounded wheres that electiricity goes? And without grounding wheres thst interference what shield have picked up would go?
post #5175 of 5453 Old 06-02-2020, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 7622 Post(s)
Liked: 7694
Quote:
If your projector is easy to move you could try a 6ft cable to see if it solves the problem and go from there. You could also try another longer cable, just make sure it has a good return policy and if it does not fix it, return it.
post #5176 of 5453 Old 06-02-2020, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I searched for this, but did not find an answer. Is there any clarity on whether DTS-X Pro will be brought to the 8805?

No announcements have been made yet, and someone went to CEDIA and visited the booth, but did not ask about DTS:X Pro.

Mark

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Lumagen Radiance Pro HDR Tone Mapping Guide: Click Here

Lumagen Radiance Pro Setup & Calibration Tips: Click Here

UHD-BD Backup & Playback Guidance Link
post #5177 of 5453 Old 06-02-2020, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post
I have a similar issue with the miniDSP, JTR subs, and the AV8805, but in my case it is a hardware fault with the AV8805, because when I disconnect the subs from the AV8805, the intermittent noise issue is gone.

That said, when I saw this post and that you have a friend that has JTR subs, it is making me wonder what was your friends' experience? In my situation, I had to turn the gain down on the subs and raise it in the AVP because I have an an intermittent tone only on the JTR subs.

The reason why my situation is an AV8805 hardware fault is that in addition to the intermittent noise that started happening a few months after I started using the miniDSP, I am unable to calibrate with Audyssey, as it won't detect any frequencies below 250 Hz on any of the speakers; I tried a different microphone. Last, I have an audible "ticking" noise when I adjust the volume on the AV8805.

I was convinced the issue was the miniDSP, but after removing the miniDSP from the signal chain, the symptoms were still present.

I have to send it in for repair at some point.

Mark
I mean, there may still be an issue w/ the 8805 because it wasn't playing when I disconnected and ran XLR straight in again. however, it was still set to 1 sub mode and I had 2 connected, so not sure. Regardless, it sounds incredible now.

His experience was that he had to lower the gain on JTR when using the Mini DSP. It was the opposite - he had to turn everything down.

Speakers: JTR 212RTs - JTR 210RM - JTR 110HTs (x4)
Subwoofer: Dual Rythmik G25HPSE
Audio Gear: Marantz 8805 - Krell Chorus 5200 + D-Sonic M3a-800S - BS Node 2i - Oppo 203
TV: LG 65 OLED
Bedroom: ML Ethos - ML Motion 30 - Samsung Q8 LED
post #5178 of 5453 Old 06-02-2020, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 658 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4315 Post(s)
Liked: 4144
Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post
No announcements have been made yet, and someone went to CEDIA and visited the booth, but did not ask about DTS:X Pro.

Mark

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I just called Marantz and spoke with a CSR. She tried to look it up for me but said she could find no information on it either way at this time. An installer friend of mine said its doubtful the 8805 could support DTS-X via firmware update alone.

He said
“I doubt the 8805 will get a DTS:X Pro upgrade. Object based decoding requires completely different DSP capabilities. StormAudio is still working on it for their 24 channel decoder.
I checked the Denon/Marantz custom installer portal and no mention of any upgrade coming.”
giomania likes this.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
208, 1" tweeters | 52, 5" woofers | 8, 18" subwoofers
post #5179 of 5453 Old 06-02-2020, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Quote:
If your projector is easy to move you could try a 6ft cable to see if it solves the problem and go from there. You could also try another longer cable, just make sure it has a good return policy and if it does not fix it, return it.
The projector is already mounted. I could run a 6 ft cable from where it is to the AV8805. Thanks for the advise.

MagMo
post #5180 of 5453 Old 06-02-2020, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Help with no output.
I just came into a AV8805 and MM7025.
I don't have any xlr cables on hand,
I just want to confirm it is working correctly.
Connected cell phone into cd input, output front speakers to unbalanced on amplifier,.
I was only able to get audio when briefly connecting my phone to the phono input, it was distorted as probably expected.

But I did confirm there is output...but non of the other inputs seem to be sending out audio.
Cd/cbl ect.
I thought maybe there was a setting in the menu for balanced/unbalanced but no luck.

What am I missing?
Thanks for any help
post #5181 of 5453 Old 06-03-2020, 02:16 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
15.2 channels processing?

Hello

Will we get 15.2 channels processing with the new hdmi card?

Marantz av8805 has 13.2 channels which is 15 analog outputs.

So it is possible to use the 15 analogue outputs for the speakers
and send the two LFE channels out through the digital output,
either the optical or coaxial.

If you do not have a digital input on your subwoofer
you can connect the output from Marantz to a MiniDSP, with an optical digital cable.

And only the HDMI card needs to be replaced.

It would have been a very good upgrade,
do you think we will get it with the new HDMI card?
post #5182 of 5453 Old 06-03-2020, 04:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjoeshmoe View Post
Help with no output.
Connected cell phone into cd input, output front speakers to unbalanced on amplifier,.
I was only able to get audio when briefly connecting my phone to the phono input, it was distorted as probably expected.

But I did confirm there is output...but non of the other inputs seem to be sending out audio.
Cd/cbl ect.
I thought maybe there was a setting in the menu for balanced/unbalanced but no luck.

What am I missing?
Thanks for any help

The sources are probably set to HDMI and not the analogue inputs. Change source input. The cd input might be default analogue but might be set to 71. or the XLR inputs.

Both balanced and unbalanced outputs are active at the same time so nothing to switch on the output end.
post #5183 of 5453 Old 06-03-2020, 05:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Help with no output.

Cd/cbl ect.

What am I missing?
Thanks for any help
The amp has a little switch for each of the inputs for XLR and RCA by the inputs, make sure it is set to the proper input on the amp itself.

Sharp LC-80LE844U | HT PC | Marantz AV8003 | Marsh Sound Design A400s (FL/FR) | Marantz MM7055 (C/SL/SR) | PSA MTM 210T (FL/FR) | PSA MTM 210C (Center) | Phase Tech PC 3.1 (SL/SR/SB) | Dual PSA S1811 Subs
post #5184 of 5453 Old 06-03-2020, 07:46 AM

Thank you, your awesome.
I was trying to test these units with very little sleep, after a good sleep, and mostly your help leading me in the right direction, im good now!
post #5185 of 5453 Old 06-03-2020, 07:59 AM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked: 1479
Quote:
Thank you, your awesome.
I was trying to test these units with very little sleep, after a good sleep, and mostly your help leading me in the right direction, im good now!
You should run the setup routine in the 8805 first.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #5186 of 5453 Old 06-03-2020, 08:01 AM

Thanks,
As awesome as this pre amp and amplifier setup is, I was just confirming they are working and have to say goodbye.
I am currently using a slightly older Denon AVR-5308CI
It's an awesome receiver, I only wish the hdmi would pass 4K video.
post #5187 of 5453 Old 06-03-2020, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 849 Post(s)
Quoted: 24583 Post(s)
Liked: 13812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenlime View Post
Hello

and send the two LFE channels out through the digital output,

you can connect the output from Marantz to a MiniDSP, with an optical digital cable.

Not likely, no, as the primary added feature is an HDMI 2.1 input and outputs.
post #5188 of 5453 Old 06-03-2020, 07:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 55
When I'm using HEOS and my Ipad to play music via bluetooth via Wi-Fi connection I find when I'm looking at the internet and scrolling on my Ipad the music gets some kind of interference and will stop playing or will fast forward sound at times. When I leave it alone there is no interference and will sound awesome. It must be the connection between the preamp and bluetooth over wi-fi that is causing this issue. Why is it doing this and is there anyway to fix the problem? Is it my wifi causing the problem? Any suggestions to overcome this issue? Thanks in advance.

audiomanz
post #5189 of 5453 Old 06-03-2020, 09:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1471 Post(s)
Liked: 1383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenlime View Post
Hello

and (1) send the two LFE channels (2) out through the digital output,

(1) In the AV8805, how will the volume of the two digital subwoofer outputs be controlled? Please explain how the required subwoofer gain structure will be implemented under your design.

(2) Where are the optical and coaxial outputs on the AV8805 located?

Do you care that the two former sub outputs will have 6dB worse s/n ratio.

Do the current DSP chips have enough extra cycles available for two more channels?
post #5190 of 5453 Old 06-04-2020, 04:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1228 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Has there been any word on when Marantz is going to offer the HDMI 2.1 upgrade offer for the 8805 to make it the 8805a? I have been away for awhile so I am not caught up on what is going on in the AV world.

Thanks

Dave-t
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page