AVS Forum banner

Marantz AV8805 15.2 XLR Pre/Pro Official Thread

1M views 9K replies 535 participants last post by  Cleveland Plasma 
#1 · (Edited)

Attachments

See less See more
#6,265 ·
I'm seeking technical measurements of the phono preamp section of this or any other Marantz prepro (going back to the AV7005) from test reports in magazines. If anyone knows of any, please let me know.

These days things like the built in tuner and phono stage barely even get mentoned let alone measured by most reviewers, unfortunately.

#6,276 ·
In the manual of the 8805 it does provide measurements of the phono preamp section.

Blue Text Photograph White Line

Reactions: m. zillch
#6,270 ·
Hi all!

I am usually a lurker here, but appreciate the discussion very much, and have followed this thread closely over the past 2 years, although I got my 8805 only a few months ago. On a different, but vaguely related subject, I would ask Kal and the other experts here if they have noticed any difference in sound quality between having the Oppo,103D in my case, do the DSD conversion to PCM from an SACD as opposed to feeding the DSD stream directly to the 8805 via the HDMI 1 output of the Oppo and having the Marantz do the conversion. I recall that, many years ago, Kal said in his review of the Integra DTC-9.8 in Stereophile, that there were differences in the sound quality between the two connection methods. But that was a different Oppo and a different pre-pro, many years ago.

Thanks for everybody's thoughts on this. I will continue to follow you all into this coming year!

#6,271 ·
I would ask Kal and the other experts here if they have noticed any difference in sound quality between having the Oppo,103D in my case, do the DSD conversion to PCM from an SACD as opposed to feeding the DSD stream directly to the 8805 via the HDMI 1 output of the Oppo and having the Marantz do the conversion.
In general, no.

#6,278 ·

Luckily I saved all my bell bottom jeans from the 70's too. Groovy, man.

#6,279 ·
Has anyone been able to use BOTH the HDMI1 and HDMI2 simultaneously to different monitors with different resolutions? Trying to connect HDMI1 to a 4K projector and HDMI2 to a 1K monitor.

This topic was discussed a few months ago in this thread but in my case, I need BOTH to be working at the SAME TIME

#6,280 ·
Has anyone been able to use BOTH the HDMI1 and HDMI2 simultaneously to different monitors with different resolutions? Trying to connect HDMI1 to a 4K projector and HDMI2 to a 1K monitor.

This topic was discussed a few months ago in this thread but in my case, I need BOTH to be working at the SAME TIME
If you use both monitors simultaneously, I believe the resolution on the higher resolution monitor will be lowered to the resolution on the lower resolution monitor and both will output the same lower resolution.

#6,283 ·
If Youtube had consistently good sound, instead of only sometimes good/adequate sound, it would be killer.

#6,285 ·
My understanding is the only way to simultaneously get 4K and 1080p out of a device without this annoying "lowest common denominator limitation" problem is with an outboard device such as this. [No guarantees from me though; I've never used one.]

Reactions: DAK
#6,289 · (Edited)
I don't think the lowest common denominator resolution problem travels via CEC, I think it travels via EDID.

#6,290 ·
I don't think the lowest common denominator resolution problem travels via CEC, I think it travels via EDID.
you are welcome to disagree. however i can only relay the advice of the denon/marantz tech. who has been dealing with these devices for decades. and he was spot on in advice. and i followed it. and guess what it flipping works. :D

but go ahead and disagree. what do I care :D

it took some work on my part as with my old pioneer kuro hdmi dec control was called kuro link, and took much delving in the menus and a bit of a google to find it to turn it off ! also active cables can be a pita ! as they stay active no matter what ! the other watch out...

but I can confirm it works seamlessly and without issue. thank goodness as i like my dual screen setup. with old tv for every day TV - its good enough. 4k projector for movies and big screen events - sport, concerts and like ....love it :)

#6,296 ·
Are any of you folk making use of the undocumented analogue by-pass setting that Kal mentioned, the 7.1 MCH that apparently has no digital processing applied between input and output? It seems like it would be a potentially very useful facility for, for example, a serious vinyl phonostage that really only wants a volume control between it and the power amps. One could simply use the FL/FR RCAs. The big failing of virtually all AVPs is that they do not offer much to those who want to combine a top class HT with a top class Stereo without having to swap cables and duplicate the analogue preamp. Looking further up the price range AVPs from Lyngdorf, Trinnov etc. seem to offer no more in this respect than the 8805 but for a great deal more money.

Dave

#6,297 ·
Can you provide a link to Kal’s posting or article?

A common way to merge an AVR with a high end stereo preamp/processor is to send the AVR‘s front R&L preamp outputs through the stereo preamp (and associated amp). Many modern preamps have inputs explicitly designed for this.

#6,302 ·
#6,307 ·
Any chance we'll get a firmware upgrade for the AV8805 with Dolby Atmos height virtualization?

#6,313 ·
Yes. This feature has already been added with a firmware update back in November 2020. The feature itself can only be enabled when there are no Top/Height/Dolby speakers configured (ie. 7.1 or less) and the Dolby Surround mode is selected. Note however, that installing this update has resulted in dialog being passed to the SURROUND speakers regardless of whether the Dolby Atmos Height Virtualizer is selected or not. Sound United (Denon/Marantz) is working with Dolby to try and resolve this issue.

#6,308 ·
Am I crazy to prefer DTS:X over Atmos?

#6,311 ·
Mostly on my XBOX One X - haven't run any movies yet.

#6,317 ·
Hey all. So a week ago or so I posted about audio drop outs. These drop outs were intermittent, random, and resulted in either strange static, or a high pitch squeal from all speakers.

Given it was Christmas and New Years, I didn’t bother boxing up the Marantz 8805. I decided to wait until the holiday period settled.

We have spent a couple weeks dealing with the issues. Some days it wasn’t very problematic. Others, it happened quite a lot.

So, anyway. I hadn’t really played much music but when I did it sounded, in a word, bad. Not how a $30,000 sound system should sound. It sounded harsh, and as my fiancé put it, irritatingly noisy.

Today I had a light bulb moment. And as a part time club DJ and music producer, I’m kicking myself for not picking up on this earlier....

I haven’t/hadn’t run Audyssey. So all my channel levels were set to 0dB. And since I’m outputting via balanced XLR to my Elektra Theatre power amplifiers, there’s likely a 6dB gain compared to RCA.

Basically, I believe I’ve been running all my channels “hot” to my power amp and everything has sounded as if my volume was too high on the input source. Even if the overall master volume was within normal levels, everything has still sounded super loud and harsh. Particularly in the upper mid and lower highs.

Even with my 8805 set to -35dB, music from Apple Music on my Apple TV 4K was irritatingly noisy and loud.

So today I adjusted the levels. Not with Audyssey yet, but manually. With each channel ranging from -8dB up to -6dB, I feel like I have a new sound system. It sounds smooth and warm and airy like my old 8802 sounded three years ago before I moved out of my home.

Dince making this adjustment I have not had a single cut-out or audio issue. Touch wood - I’m assuming my circuitry either in my Marantz or my Elektra amps were “freaking out” due to the hot signals.

Can anyone here corroborate my findings? Am I right in assuming this was causing my issues all along? Could I have done permanent damage to my components? This could also explain why some shows and movies had no issues while others did, since some streaming services have a lower output signal gain than others.

Could the hotter signal have caused my amps to potentially draw too much power off our 20 amp circuit upon which ALL of my equipment is connected?

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Scot.

Reactions: alebonau
#6,325 ·
has anyone in the forum connected the receiver to provide power like this?
to give cleaner electricity?

#6,332 · (Edited)
has anyone in the forum connected the receiver to provide power like this?
to give cleaner electricity?
Power conditioner are supposed to work well, I do not use one myself though. If you have big amps I would not plug those in a power conditioner as those should be plugged into there own circuit and outlet.

#6,329 ·
"surprised there are not more folk in this thread jumping up and down "

I am jumping up and down in eagerness to upgrade my 8802A to then 8805, but have been holding off because of this Dolby Surround "center leakage" issue. Perhaps JdSmoothie can clarify a couple of things. With the 8805 I would have a 13.2 system. My up-mix favorite with the 8802a has been Neural X on all 5.1, 7.1 because I use wides and prefer it over Dolby Surround anyway. So I would continue with it on the 8805. For Atmos titles I use Atmos. So my question is if the "center leakage" issue only arises when using Dolby Surround up-mix and not with Atmos titles. And if I was to use DTS's up-mix for all up-mix uses, then I would never run into the leakage issue I assume. Is that correct?

#6,341 ·
I'll be comparing the 8500 Denon as a processor only to the Marantz 8805 and giving my impressions in the coming weeks. Since I do not need the amps in the 8500, I want to see if the Marantz is better in the processing department, especially for the $500 price difference. I know the SINAD is better on the Denon 8500 but that's not as important with EQ enabled and real listening. I'll keep whichever one sounds better to my ears for the processing power of my home theater. :)

#6,345 ·
Life with a complex AV processor is never dull. Over the past three days a new problem has presented itself. I have HDMI main outputing to the projector and the secondary HDMI to the small flat screen used for menu and setup matters. For years this has been fine, each monitor worked as expected. This last week the secondary has taken to losing the picture (it just flickers occasionally) and the only cure I have found is disconnecting and reconnecting both HDMI o/ps after which the system returns to normal. But it keeps happening. What is wrong? Handshaking maybe?

Yes I have tried a different second monitor and the same thing happens. It is something in the HDMI area of the AVP.

#6,351 ·
After A/B testing the 8805 to the Denon 8500, I have decided on the Marantz 8805 for my home theater which is mainly movies.

I prefer the warmer sound of the Marantz over the Denon sound signature. I also feel like even though the XLRs aren't fully balanced, there is an advantage to my ears. Bass just sounds cleaner on the Marantz IMO.

They are definitely very similar and it was a difficult decision but since I do not need external amplification, the Marantz is cooler and does not consume as much energy as well compared to preamp mode where the amps still idle on the Denon.

The Marantz with XLR gives more headroom for my dual subs, which is a bonus as well. I do believe the 8805 and 8500 flagship products share some of the same parts including the DACs, which is why it was a difficult decision.

I would say to anyone that you cannot go wrong with either one of these great home theater products. They are reliable, sound great with music and movies, and are on the same level or better than the Anthem AVM60 I previously had and a couple of Dirac processors as well.

I would also take the bench tests regarding SINAD with a grain of salt. Even though the 8500 performed better than the 8805 in this area, I noticed no difference sonically, which is what matters most. I listen around -10 max which is 10 less than reference levels in my room and didn't hear any distortion on either product.

This is just my personal opinion but the 8805 is going to be in my home theater for a long while. The reliability of it really stands out and the sound quality is some of the best I've heard. Audyssey has came a long way. I think Dirac is on par or slightly better (with bass control add on) and ARC slightly worse IMO. All 3 room corrections are great though.

Thanks for listening. I'm going to go watch some movies on my 8805 and return the 8500. I'm finally content.

#6,357 ·
I would also take the bench tests regarding SINAD with a grain of salt. Even though the 8500 performed better than the 8805 in this area, I noticed no difference sonically, which is what matters most. I listen around -10 max which is 10 less than reference levels in my room and didn't hear any distortion on either product.

This is just my personal opinion but the 8805 is going to be in my home theater for a long while. The reliability of it really stands out and the sound quality is some of the best I've heard. Audyssey has came a long way. I think Dirac is on par or slightly better (with bass control add on) and ARC slightly worse IMO. All 3 room corrections are great though.
talking about ASR... :D AmirM did review audyssey....

Amir has as per that thread experience with the lyndorf room perfect Eq as well

can see his very complementary review below,

"Conclusions
I came into this review expecting Audyssey to not perform. That was my experience and that of formal blind testing of it years back. The out of box results of this "XT32" version was better than I remembered. Still, using the App is mandatory to properly incorporate a target curve with more bass and removal of "BBC dip." Once there, I had no issues with its performance and I think it comes very close to advanced solutions like Dirac and Anthem ARC.

I am happy to recommend Audyssey XT32 with use of Denon/Marantz app to customize it."

I suspect many folk thrown by the bbc dip in midrange by default go check out other Eq systems and go oh wow... without realising the app can remove that...or for matter audyssey pro if using previous to app versions :)

as he says its pretty close to dirac and anthem arc. main benefit over anthem arc would be true dual sub capability that audyssey on Denon and marantz is very capable with.

#6,352 ·
Hey so I have a weird setup. I have 2 floor fronts two floor surrounds and a floor center channel. I also have 4 in ceiling speakers I want to use for atmos. I also have 2 front highs mounted on wall and two subs. Having issues getting everything assigned properly and was looking for some advice.

#6,353 ·
Hi, where are your ceiling speakers mounted? Like front of the room and rear of the room I'm assuming? I'm not sure why you would need the front highs? I would do front ceiling, middle ceiling and rear ceiling personally for atmos. You could move your top front highs to the middle ceiling and angle them down in front of the listening area slightly. Refer to 5.2.6 atmos setup.