AVS Forum banner

Marantz AV8805 15.2 XLR Pre/Pro Official Thread

1M views 9K replies 535 participants last post by  Cleveland Plasma 
#1 · (Edited)

Attachments

See less See more
#8,511 ·
Hi to all. In this moment, that new Denon and Marantz avr use different dac chips, will you buy a av8805a at about 2300/2600$?
At $2600 that's a steal and will leave extra money for room treatments that are WAY MORE important than a DAC.
I have an upgraded 8805A- and I could not be happier. To echo @nondemo47 at USD2,300/2,600 for an 8805A (whether the upgraded version with the original DACs or the original version with the changed DAC), imo it is a steal. Mine is the upgraded version with the original DACs but I doubt my ears would be able to make out the difference between the original DACs and the changed DACs.

#8,509 ·
No one want to give a simple advice?
And if if I say that for a couple of hundred dollars less I could buy an Anthem mrx1120?
Which do you consider a best buy for quite the same price?
I bought a used 8805 and couldn't be happier. I was looking at the Anthem AVM70, Emotiva XMC-2, and the Monoprice pre/pros. I had an XMC-1 that I liked the sound of but can't stand how "buggy" it was. I have a friend that LOVES the sound of the AVM 70 but it has it's issues as well. The Marantz stuff JUST WORKS. It also sounds as good as the XMC-1 using Audesy but takes a little extra time to dial it in. It's also built like a tank. Pre/pro performance is more than just the DAC or a SINAD number. What it does and how it does it are as good or more important than the label on the DAC chip. At $2600 that's a steal and will leave extra money for room treatments that are WAY MORE important than a DAC.

#8,514 ·
When I run Audyssey on the Marantz 8805a it sets the two sub woofers in the room at -8db. I am trying to understand why it does that. I end up going in and bringing them to zero or close to zero. Just wondering what others are experiencing.

#8,515 ·
Audyssey is setting all channels for level matching, so not sure why you think the subs should be set to 0 trim. Many like more bass (I don't) and will increase sub output relative to the speaker levels. I leave the Audyssey levels as is and just use Dynamic EQ. In fact, for 2-channel (music) listening, I actually turn the subs down some.

#8,522 ·
Has anyone tried Audyssey MultEQ-X with the 8805a and if so is it worth the effort?

#8,533 ·
Good to know, I wondered if that might work.

#8,536 ·
salve, vorrei sostituire il mio av 8805A con un anthem avm 90 secondo voi e un netto miglioramento, inoltre in alternativa vale la pena prendere av 10??

grazie per la risposta, oltre al maggior dettaglio la gamma bassa è più corposa e presente, il marantz ha un suono molto piatto

#8,543 ·
Sorry to bother you, but the MArantz SR8015 as the same features ov the AV8805, plus the amplification, less the xlr output?
If I found a SR8015 instead an AV8805, I will loose some feature?

Thanks

#8,548 ·
For those AV8805 owners who are considering upgrading to an AV10
It is crazy to not see the 8805, 6700H, and 8500HA not get updated. Just to get away from the HDMI 2.1 bad blood.

#8,550 ·
Firmware update today for the AV8805...

Version: 8400-8123-3114-1070
DTS version: 4.30.10.10

Previously was...

Version: 8400-8123-3172-1070

I still don't understand why some numbers go backwards on these updates.

Reactions: audiofan1
#8,551 ·
Firmware update today for the AV8805...

Version: 8400-8123-3114-1070

Previously was...

Version: 8400-8123-3172-1070

I still don't understand why some numbers go backwards on these updates.
Sometimes they may fine the last update created a new problem. If that happens they revert back to a previous version.

Reactions: Kruckus
#8,552 ·
New 8805A owner using in a 7.2.6 dedicated movie room.
Can someone tell me how to, if possible, adjust my center trim on the fly. I am still adjusting my audessy setting a bit. Most speakers are -5 to -7. The center was set to -8 and it’s just too quiet. I haven’t messed with the dialog enhancement yet -I left it off. I can go into the manual settings- get the test tone, and adjust it there. Is there a way to adjust center on the fly like I can with the subs in the app??
When I’m in the app under “Audio” it only gives me subwoofer level adjust for both subs.
Under options- I see a channel level adjust but everything is at 0. It doesn’t show the audessy set trims. I swear I saw a center channel adjust in the app and it showed the audessy set trim.
Much appreciated

#8,557 ·
New 8805A owner using in a 7.2.6 dedicated movie room.
Can someone tell me how to, if possible, adjust my center trim on the fly. I am still adjusting my audessy setting a bit. Most speakers are -5 to -7. The center was set to -8 and it’s just too quiet. I haven’t messed with the dialog enhancement yet -I left it off. I can go into the manual settings- get the test tone, and adjust it there. Is there a way to adjust center on the fly like I can with the subs in the app??
When I’m in the app under “Audio” it only gives me subwoofer level adjust for both subs.
Under options- I see a channel level adjust but everything is at 0. It doesn’t show the audessy set trims. I swear I saw a center channel adjust in the app and it showed the audessy set trim.
Much appreciated
Select "Option" on your remote. Then select "Channel Level Adjust." Center is at the top of the list.

#8,554 ·
Yes, it can be dimmed or turned off.

#8,556 ·
Hit "Setup" then go down to "General." Select "General" and you will see "Display." Once you select "Display" you can choose from there.

#8,561 ·
I’m experiencing two curious things with the 8805A:

1) the 8805A will not pass 1440p from a PS5, now that the new PS5 firmware enables 1440p. Running my projector HDMI cable direct from the PS5, it does 1440p. Passing it through the 8805A, using 8k certified cables, and the 8k HDMI input, the PS5 says the unit is not capable of 1440p. Not a huge loss, though, still being able to run 4k.

2) I’m getting repeated periodic HDMI signal dropouts, from the 8805A monitor 1 output, over a 75’ Fibercommand fiber optic HDMI cable to my LG AU810 projector, regardless of source. Running the same cable direct from the PS5, no dropouts. Adding a HDMI power injector from the 8805A HDMI output seems to solve the dropouts. I seem to recall hearing the Marantz/Denon HDMI outputs can be a little weak. Can anyone confirm, and/or experienced the same thing?

#8,562 ·
I don’t get drop outs once the HDMI connects but do get that issue whenever I switch to my Dell desktop media source. Projector will cycle on and off several times before it finally stays on and become stable. I had the same issue with the 8802a. My cable is about 35 feet.

#8,569 ·
Good afternoon. I’m hoping someone can help me. You guys are my last resort before sending off my 8805 to a repair center. I have a 13.2 system. The equipment in my chain is Marantz 8805, two Monolith 200X7 amps, PS5, Nvidia Shield Pro, Cambridge Audio DVD player, and a JVC NX7 projector.

I came home from offshore, turned on a movie and discovered I have no audio output from any of my speakers. I haven’t made any changes recently. Everything has been the same for 2 years. I checked all the speaker wires and all my connections are solid. I did the 9V battery test (I don’t have a multimeter) to see if my speakers were good and they are. I opened the cases to my amps and haven’t seen any signs of anything burned or have I smelled anything burnt. So I’m thinking it may be the 8805. I downgraded the firmware, reset it to factory conditions, upgraded back to the latest firmware and still to no avail I have no audio output when I go into the Level settings and do a test tone.

Has anyone had a similar issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8,570 ·
Removed the power cord from the 8805. Then disconnect all the 12 volt trigger cables on both ends. Reconnect the 12 volt triggers and then the power cord to the 8805. That's the only thing left to try. Sounds crazy but that worked for me with something crazy going on like you described.

#8,573 ·
I don't know the answer to that one. I only use one trigger to power on a Panamax which powers the remaining pieces of equipment to "on." Hopefully someone else can help you with your question.

#8,578 ·
For anyone with the AV8805 or AV8805A, could you offer some insight into something I wanted to try? I have in my possession the Marantz AV8805A, wanted to try using the amplifier portion of an older Sunfire TGR-401 Receiver (7x200watts) that I have, to power a 7.2 system or add another 5/6 channel for heights. I also have an older Marantz SR7002 AVR that I could use to power it as well, if it has the correct connection. I would use the Preamp outputs on the Sunfire and connect via analog RCAs to the 7.1 channel IN on the Marantz. Then plug the two subwoofers to the subwoofer 1 and 2 locations on the Marantz as well. Then I would run the speakers to the Sunfire correct? So..two questions, is my thinking correct with connections of the two units, and the 2nd would I have the speakers connected to the correct location, since I'm trying to power the speakers with the Sunfire and let the Marantz do the processing?

#8,579 ·
You have the connections backwards as what you're proposing would send audio from the Sunfire to the Marantz. You would need to send the Marantz preamp outputs to an equivalent 7.1 input on the Sunfire if you want to use the Sunfire amps. If the Sunfire doesn't have some sort of equivalent 7.1 input, then you're out of luck. This type of hookup generally comes with compromises because you will have 2 preamp stages (the one on the Marantz and the one on the Sunfire) before you get to the amp. It would work as you would generally set the volume on the Sunfire to the reference level (which would be zero if it uses a -80 to 20 scale like the Marantz does by default), but it's probably not going to be as good as using a standalone amp due to the extra circuitry that will be in the loop.

And yes, if you want to use the amps on the Sunfire, you would need to connect the appropriate speakers to the Sunfire.

#8,580 ·
Thank you for setting me straight on the configuration. I have both this Sunfire, the Marantz SR7002, as stated, and was planning on the Marantz Amp10 if the other two didn't fit the bill so to speak. Thank you for also pointing out the setting for the Sunfire to set it to reference level.

#8,581 · (Edited)
XLR PINOUT.
I've always felt that my total sound was not its best when I built my new music/theater system with AV8005 as the brains and powering Classe amps. Today, I've just discovered that AV8005, sold in USA, is using European XLR pinout! I have it connected to amps with North American pinout. I was hoping Marantz unit has a way to modify the XLR pin output in firmware, but manual states that I must physically swap the pins in the cable. Not something I want to do with my high quality cables.
Has anyone ran into this issue and what was your solution?

Edit: I'm confused, upon closer reading it appears pin layout is the same after all, even though manuals list pins in different order?

Pre layout:
Rectangle Font Parallel Circle Symmetry

Amp layout:
Font Rectangle Art Circle Paper

#8,582 ·
Ignore the Manual!

The AV 10 and every other Denon and Marantz manual I've seen are incorrect on the subject of XLR pinouts. This has been the case for years, perhaps decades. Just ignore the manual. Unfortunate it has been necessary to write this email on numerous occasions over the years.

The standard around the world including the U.S.A. is:

Pin 1 Ground

Pin 2 Hot/Positive

Pin 3 Cold/Negative

And to answer your next question, no one seems to know why the Manual hasn't been corrected.

The only incorrect product I've seen in years is the Emotiva Gen3 power amplifier. See paragraph 2 of the measurements below.

Emotiva XPA Gen3 two-channel power amplifier Measurements | Stereophile.com